Question about the wave-particle duality of photons (light and matter)?

• 75 Replies
Waves formed on the surface of the water upon disturbing due to gravity here on earth.

I don’t understand

What causes the light /photon to travel in the waveform or what causes the oscillation of the photon in its traveling?   

Why does a photon show its presence when it is massless either in wave or particle form?

Lorddave

Waves formed on the surface of the water upon disturbing due to gravity here on earth.
Not correct.  They are formed due to energy moving through the water.  Like the movement of currents, heat differential, or the gravitational pull.of the moon.  You can create waves on water in 0G.

What causes the light /photon to travel in the waveform or what causes the oscillation of the photon in its traveling?   

Why does a photon show its presence when it is massless either in wave or particle form?
Its best to think of a photon as a packet containing an electrical wave and a magnetic wave at right angles to eachother.  Each one propogating the other further along.

The waves were created at the source, such as an atom releasing energy.  If they weren't waves, they wouldn't move.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

I don’t understand

Waves are caused by motion/energy input, gravity is in no way the cause of waves.

There are, of course, many ideas about this.  One of the most successful (practical/useful) considers the wave separately from a small particle which rides upon it.  If this is correct, then what we call “the photon”, a speculative and theoretical “thing”, is material/tangible and is not “massless”. But it is also NOT the light. Light is a pressure wave within a media.  Just ask yourself what causes ALL waves to oscillate and you will have your answer.

This is misunderstanding.  Light is simply a pressure wave in a medium, it is not nearly as mysterious as it is misunderstood.  There is nothing tangible/material that does not have weight (“mass”, to use your common and incorrect parlance)

JJA

• Math is math!
This is misunderstanding.  Light is simply a pressure wave in a medium, it is not nearly as mysterious as it is misunderstood.  There is nothing tangible/material that does not have weight (“mass”, to use your common and incorrect parlance)

You are using a lot of words carelessly without defining them here. 

Tangible?  Light certainly is tangible.  I can see it. I can measure it, reflect it, detect individual photons.

How are you defining and using the word material?  Something solid?  In effect you are making a circular reference here, saying only objects with mass have mass, or all objects made of matter are made of matter.

Light does have mass.  Not in the same way matter does, but the same effect.  Gather enough light in one place and it bends spacetime, just like matter.  You could stand on a ball of light if it were dense enough, just like a planet.

Light is certainly not defined as a "a pressure wave in a medium" by any current theory I'm aware of. What medium is this, let me guess, aether?

Lorddave

Light is said to be a particle because it has momentum.  Not because it has mass.

Also, not sure light can be dense enough to atand on no matter how much you have.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
My goodness here we go again deluded flat earth believers imagining they have the means to study the duality of light and determine if the photon indeed has zero mass and have an opinion on it.

Nonsense.

All they can do like the majority of the population is read the results of experiments carried out by professional researchers. That’s unless they have a 25km diameter particle accelerator in their back yard.

I am always incredulous at FE ers pontification about subjects that they have no means of determining yet speaking on it as though they have some special knowledge.

Let’s be real you know little or nothing about the subject other than what you have looked up.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Timeisup

I don’t understand

Waves are caused by motion/energy input, gravity is in no way the cause of waves.

There are, of course, many ideas about this.  One of the most successful (practical/useful) considers the wave separately from a small particle which rides upon it.  If this is correct, then what we call “the photon”, a speculative and theoretical “thing”, is material/tangible and is not “massless”. But it is also NOT the light. Light is a pressure wave within a media.  Just ask yourself what causes ALL waves to oscillate and you will have your answer.

So.... how did you come by your information relating to the photon? Do you possibly have a very large magnify glass through which you can see them?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JJA

• Math is math!
Light is said to be a particle because it has momentum.  Not because it has mass.

Also, not sure light can be dense enough to atand on no matter how much you have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelblitz_(astrophysics)

Enough light concentrated in one place can be dense enough to form a black hole, let alone a much smaller amount required for 'only' 1g of gravitational pull.

However, the engineering issues are still nontrivial. :)

sokarul

• Extra Racist

Enough light concentrated in one place can be dense enough to form a black hole, let alone a much smaller amount required for 'only' 1g of gravitational pull.

Like it says, mass energy equivalence.
The momentum of light was used to make a new type of matter, Bose-Einstein Condensate.

I would say light acts like a particle because it only leaves one count on a detector even though the wave spreads out. 

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Timeisup

Like it says, mass energy equivalence.
The momentum of light was used to make a new type of matter, Bose-Einstein Condensate.

I would say light acts like a particle because it only leaves one count on a detector even though the wave spreads out.

How did you come by your opinion?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
I use photon detectors.

In college I performed gamma spectroscopy experiment.

Anatomy of the eye

Current accepted theory.

My chemistry degree with my physics minor.

Need more?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

I mean what causes the formation of trough and crest of the wave of a photon through which it travels if light has wave-particle duality

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
99.999 % of all light and heat encountered by us on planet Earth originates from the Sun. The rest from distant stars and your local electricity company. Nobody knows how the light/heat is generated in/by the Sun. Looking into the Sun will blind you. Exposing yourself to the heat may cause sun burns! But good news. I explain it all free of charge at http://heiwaco.com/moontravelb.htm .

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
99.999 % of all light and heat encountered by us on planet Earth originates from the Sun. The rest from distant stars and your local electricity company. Nobody knows how the light/heat is generated in/by the Sun. Looking into the Sun will blind you. Exposing yourself to the heat may cause sun burns! But good news. I explain it all free of charge at http://heiwaco.com/moontravelb.htm .

I'll save everyone a trip.

Fusion.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Heiwa

Fusion.
http://heiwaco.com/chall3.htm explains the difficulties with fusion on Earth. Big biz with plenty tax payers money disappearing. The ITER fusion crowd is a joke!

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!

Fusion.
http://heiwaco.com/chall3.htm explains the difficulties with fusion on Earth. Big biz with plenty tax payers money disappearing. The ITER fusion crowd is a joke!

Your bot seems to be broken.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
What does trying to fuse a few milligrams of hydrogen on earth have to do with the sun fusing many tons of hydrogen every second? ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.

Fusion.

Last I checked, the sun and other stars aren't on Earth.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
It might be a play on sceptitank or tom’s(I forgot who)post where they claimed if you can perform fusion in a lab it’s fake.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Heiwa

What does trying to fuse a few milligrams of hydrogen on earth have to do with the sun fusing many tons of hydrogen every second? ???
It is still fusion. Impossible on Earth by ITER and how it is done inside the Sun we don't really know. There are many ideas but so far nobody has been able to tell me the condition inside the Sun.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
It is still fusion. Impossible on Earth by ITER and how it is done inside the Sun we don't really know. There are many ideas but so far nobody has been able to tell me the condition inside the Sun.

Your challenge is garbage. Right off the bat you say "The work of the ITER Organization is supervised by its governing body, the ITER Council. Who the members of the ITER Council are is not known. Maybe they change all the time?...Members of the Committee are chosen for their outstanding technical qualifications and experience. Who they are is not known. Maybe they too change all the time?" Like they are some mysterious organization.

Sure they are "known". It took me all of 30 seconds to find the council members:

Delong Luo, Chair of the ITER Council, Director-General, ITER China Domestic Agency, Ministry of Science and Technology
Wei Huang, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for China, Vice Minister, Ministry of Science and Technology
Massimo Garribba, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Europe, Acting Deputy Director-General, DG ENER, European Commission
Ravi Bhusan Grove, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for India, Member, Atomic Energy Commission
Yoshio Yamawaki, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Japan, Senior Deputy Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
Chang-Yune Lee, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Korea, Director-General, Space and Nuclear Energy
Igor Borovkov, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Russian Federation, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Government Executive Office of the Russian Federation
Steve Binkley, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for United States, Principal Deputy Director of the Office of Science

Bernard Bigot, Director-General, ITER Organization
Johannes Schwemmer, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, EU
Kathy McCarthy, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, US
Ujjwal Baruah, Project Director Director of ITER Domestic Agency, India
Shishir Ddeshpande, Former Project Director of ITER Domestic Agency, India
Kijung Jung, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, Korea
Director of ITER Domestic Agency, Japan
Anatoly V. Krasilnikov, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, RF

If you can't figure out something as simple as this, I'm betting the rest of your "research" is just as error prone and utterly unreliable.

Heiwa

Your challenge is garbage. Right off the bat you say "The work of the ITER Organization is supervised by its governing body, the ITER Council. Who the members of the ITER Council are is not known. Maybe they change all the time?...Members of the Committee are chosen for their outstanding technical qualifications and experience. Who they are is not known. Maybe they too change all the time?" Like they are some mysterious organization.

Sure they are "known". It took me all of 30 seconds to find the council members:

Delong Luo, Chair of the ITER Council, Director-General, ITER China Domestic Agency, Ministry of Science and Technology
Wei Huang, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for China, Vice Minister, Ministry of Science and Technology
Massimo Garribba, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Europe, Acting Deputy Director-General, DG ENER, European Commission
Ravi Bhusan Grove, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for India, Member, Atomic Energy Commission
Yoshio Yamawaki, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Japan, Senior Deputy Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
Chang-Yune Lee, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Korea, Director-General, Space and Nuclear Energy
Igor Borovkov, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for Russian Federation, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Government Executive Office of the Russian Federation
Steve Binkley, Head of Delegation of ITER Council for United States, Principal Deputy Director of the Office of Science

Bernard Bigot, Director-General, ITER Organization
Johannes Schwemmer, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, EU
Kathy McCarthy, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, US
Ujjwal Baruah, Project Director Director of ITER Domestic Agency, India
Shishir Ddeshpande, Former Project Director of ITER Domestic Agency, India
Kijung Jung, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, Korea
Director of ITER Domestic Agency, Japan
Anatoly V. Krasilnikov, Director of ITER Domestic Agency, RF

If you can't figure out something as simple as this, I'm betting the rest of your "research" is just as error prone and utterly unreliable.
Thanks for info. Yes, ITER has a board of governors, etc, but nobody in it knows when ITER will start fusion or even if it is possible. Only certain things are that there are delays and that more money is required. And local staff hasn't got a clue how to start the fusion process. It is a JOKE. https://www.iter.org/newsline/-/3634 and https://www.iter.org/doc/www/content/com/Lists/list_items/Attachments/938/2021_06_IC-28.pdf .  ITER repeats that "Fusion is the process that powers the Sun and the stars: when  light  atomic  nuclei  fuse  together  to  form  heavier  ones,  a  large  amount  of  energy  is  released, " but ITER doesn't know how to do it on Earth!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 11:01:48 PM by Heiwa »

JJA

• Math is math!
Thanks for info. Yes, ITER has a board of governors, etc, but nobody in it knows when ITER will start fusion or even if it is possible. Only certain things are that there are delays and that more money is required. And local staff hasn't got a clue how to start the fusion process. It is a JOKE. https://www.iter.org/newsline/-/3634 and https://www.iter.org/doc/www/content/com/Lists/list_items/Attachments/938/2021_06_IC-28.pdf .  ITER repeats that "Fusion is the process that powers the Sun and the stars: when  light  atomic  nuclei  fuse  together  to  form  heavier  ones,  a  large  amount  of  energy  is  released, " but ITER doesn't know how to do it on Earth!

Why don't you climb into the fusion chamber when they turn it on to show us all how much of a joke it is. I'm sure you will find the experience illuminating. ;D

Heiwa

Why don't you climb into the fusion chamber when they turn it on to show us all how much of a joke it is. I'm sure you will find the experience illuminating. ;D
Thanks for advice. Fusion cannot be explained mathematically as math can only explain real problems and events. This expensive ITER machine shall show that fusion works on Earth, but one difficulty is that nobody can explain the fusion inside the Sun, etc.
Same with Fission. Nobody can explain it mathematically, i.e. how a 'critical mass' of atoms suddenly becomes other atoms and a FLASH of energy wiping out Japanese towns in nano-seconds.
I think mysterious physical processes like fusion and fission shall be described mathematically and tested in laboratories before being accepted as possible. Just secretly exploding full scale atomic, fission bombs and building expensive fusion plants do not prove anything, except that people believing in them are plain stupid.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:58:13 AM by Heiwa »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!

Thanks for advice. Fusion cannot be explained mathematically as math can only explain real problems and events. This expensive ITER machine shall show that fusion works on Earth, but one difficulty is that nobody can explain the fusion inside the Sun, etc.
Same with Fission. Nobody can explain it mathematically, i.e. how a 'critical mass' of atoms suddenly becomes other atoms and a FLASH of energy wiping out Japanese towns in nano-seconds.
I think mysterious physical processes like fusion and fission shall be described mathematically and tested in laboratories before being accepted as possible. Just secretly exploding full scale atomic, fission bombs and building expensive fusion plants do not prove anything, except that people believing in them are plain stupid.

I'm, confused, there's no math associated with Fission? Are you sure about that? Also, how do nuclear reactors around the world work?

MIT has a fission lab, 6mw of power, for safety reasons. So what do you mean there's no lab work? Do they have to explode the MIT campus to satisfy you? Also Lawrence Livermore, Sandia, and Los Alamos labs do all kinds of crazy testing without detonating a live bomb. Look it up.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Very high pressure in the sun's core forces hydrogen atoms close enough that they begin to fuse into helium.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
99.999 % of all light and heat encountered by us on planet Earth originates from the Sun.
Apparently you have never whacked without lube.

Heiwa

I'm, confused, there's no math associated with Fission? Are you sure about that? Also, how do nuclear reactors around the world work?

MIT has a fission lab, 6mw of power, for safety reasons. So what do you mean there's no lab work? Do they have to explode the MIT campus to satisfy you? Also Lawrence Livermore, Sandia, and Los Alamos labs do all kinds of crazy testing without detonating a live bomb. Look it up.
Sorry, there is plenty math associated with Fission in nuclear power plants. But there is no math associated with explosive fission that takes place when nuclear weapons are ignited. No laboratory has ever studied explosive fission except in remote military places.

Heiwa

Very high pressure in the sun's core forces hydrogen atoms close enough that they begin to fuse into helium.
ROTFL. Are you sure? Have you been there in the Sun's core verifying it? At what pressure and temperature did hydrogen atoms fuse into helium atoms?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Hahahahaha