It's 2015 and you aren't even close to owning a Spaceship

• 4284 Replies
Re: It's 2015 and you aren't even close to owning a Spaceship
« Reply #3660 on: November 16, 2015, 01:13:46 PM »
Anyhoo; despite the seeming determination of chtwrone & all the M-people to turn every single thread on this site into a debate about people on skateboards, I'd still like some response to this:

I suggest that the blob of light in the sky that space-tards claim is the lol-tastic & impossible ISS could in fact be an ER-2 high altitude jet fitted out with suitably high-powered LEDs.

All it has to do is fly lower & slower in order to roughly match the alleged 'orbit' of the laughably implausible ISS & voila; fake space station.

After all, the few remaining NASA-huggers are so retarded they'd believe anything...

Anyone care to logically refute my hypothesis?

In fact, has anyone here actually clearly seen the ISS themselves through their 'telescopes' (lol)?

I look forward to mocking your asinine & robotic wiki-spam answers...

Thank You!

“ER-2 Aircraft Capabilities
The ER-2 is a versatile aircraft well suited to perform multiple
mission tasks. The ER-2 operates at altitudes from 20,000 feet to 70,000 feet, which is above 99 percent of the Earth's atmosphere. Depending on aircraft weight, the ER-2 reaches an initial cruise altitude of 65,000 feet within 20 minutes. Typical cruise speed is 410 knots. The range for a normal eight-hour mission is 3,000 nautical miles yielding seven hours of data collection at altitude. The aircraft is capable of longer missions in excess of 10 hours and ranges in excess of 6,000 nautical miles. The ER-2 can carry a maximum payload of 2,600 pounds (1,179 kilograms) distributed in the equipment bay, nose area and wing pods.The aircraft has four large pressurized experiment compartments and a high capacity AC/DC electrical system, permitting it to carry a variety of payloads on a single mission. The modular design of the aircraft permits rapid installation or removal of payloads to meet changing mission requirements”
excerpt from http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/171831main_FS-046-DFRC.pdf

As capable this craft is, it is not capable of mimicking flight time of the ISS. The ISS circumnavigate the globe every 90 minutes, you say slower, it is not slower but considerably faster that you have to go, in order to mimic the ISS, let alone it’s size.
Not happening.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3661 on: November 16, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
By the way, doe this mean that you finally accept that work can be done in a rocket engine before the exhaust hits the vacuum of space?

You really do need to stop channelling Lewis Carroll, old bean, as well as learn how to spell a simple word like 'does'; it makes you look more than a little odd.

Does the vacuum of space somehow sense that it's at the entrance of the rocket nozzle in your funny little Wonderland World & say 'No; I'd best not go in there; that would be rude'?
Wow.  Were you born this big of an ass or did you have to work at it?

A vacuum is simply the absence of a fluid in a given space (in this case, the combustion chamber of a rocket engine).  As soon as you start introducing a fluid into that space (in this case, burning fuel and oxidizer), then you no longer have a vacuum. 

& even if the rocket did work, what Reaction could it produce from creating an Action against the very definition of Nothing At All?
For the umpteenth time, the gasses are creating a reaction with the walls of the rocket engine, not the vacuum.

Really; you could stop all this self-humiliation by simply learning how to apply Newton's laws of Motion correctly & boning up on Joules Expansion & Pressure Gradient Forces somewhat.
And you should ask your rocket scientist buddies to explain why you keep misunderstanding those principles.  If you won't believe me, then maybe you'll believe them.

As for 'regenerative cooling'; as applied by NASA's 'rokkit-enjynneerz' it is a ridiculous concept, as we will see once you have spammed the numbers I requested: the temperature of an oxy-acetylene cutter's flame & melting temperature of stainless steel please!
Perhaps you should research the principles behind regenerative cooling before you dismiss them out of hand, or do you honestly think that you're asking questions that weren't already answered 50 years ago?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:17:35 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3662 on: November 16, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »
As the Raown Derfers refuse to play (I wonder why?), here are some numbers; you do the sums...

Burn-time of J2 Apollo engine: 8 minutes.

Temp. of combustion chamber in J2 Apollo engine: 3500C.

Temp. of oxy-acetylene cutter torch: 3500C.

Melting point of stainless steel: 1600C max.

Metal the J2 combustion chamber is made of: stainless steel.

Thickness of stainless steel in J2 combustion chamber: 0.03 millimetres. That's right: one third of a millimetre.

Temp. of liquid hydrogen: -253C.

Temp. of liquid oxygen: -193C.

Do the math; laugh the laugh.
Why don't you get all of the relevant fact first?
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/pdf/499245main_J2_Engine_fs.pdf

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3663 on: November 16, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »
Thickness of stainless steel in J2 combustion chamber: 0.03 millimetres. That's right: one third of a millimetre.
While you are splitting your sides, a couple of little points:
1) "Thickness of stainless steel in J2 combustion chamber: 0.03 millimetres.".  Sure might be just a typo, but we know how fussy you are about detail! That is 0.3 millimetres, not 0.03 millimetres!  Yes your one third of a millimetre is correct. 
2) Why so thin?  To get rapid heat transfer to the 285 kg/sec LOX + LH2 flowing over the outside.
Yes, I know in the early (and not so early) stages numerous rocket motors did fail dramatically because of just that problem.

« Reply #3664 on: November 16, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »
As the Raown Derfers refuse to play (I wonder why?), here are some numbers; you do the sums...

Burn-time of J2 Apollo engine: 8 minutes.

Temp. of combustion chamber in J2 Apollo engine: 3500C.

Temp. of oxy-acetylene cutter torch: 3500C.

Melting point of stainless steel: 1600C max.

Metal the J2 combustion chamber is made of: stainless steel.

Suggested experiment to test possibility of 'regenerative cooling' functioning as claimed: take oxy-acetylene cutter & apply to the cylinder of LOX it comes with for 8 minutes.

Observe results.

If alive afterwards - shpaaaaaayzzze-eckspurayshunnn!!!!!

Christ Almighty, what idiots you all are.

If you actually read whichever article you quoted the J2 thickness from then actually it is constructed from 0.3mm thickness tubes not plate. Each of those tubes has supercooled liquid passing through it. All we need to do now is work out the heat exchange that occurs in the tubes.

The ignited gas will not have as much heat capacity as the supercooled liquid and therefore a large amount of the heat generated in combustion will be transfered to the liquid leaving the tubes intact.

It is just a heat exchanger unit. Want me to provide design calculations for you to check the maths?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 04:20:49 AM by Mainframes »
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #3665 on: November 17, 2015, 02:54:36 AM »
What would be the reason for regenerative cooling not to work? Surelly Papa Legba understands the difference from a pressurized canister, and tons of gas being pumped out.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #3666 on: November 17, 2015, 03:41:11 AM »
If you actually read whichever article you quoted the J2 thickness from then actually it is constructed from 0.3m thickness tubes not plate.

LULZ!!!

Walter 'Mainframes' Mitty brings the comedy gold again!

33 centimeter thick stainless steel tubes - LMFAO!!!

& how do you know what article I read anyhow?

Are you psychic now, as well as psychotic?

No; the article I read clearly said the tube walls were 0.3 millimetres thick, which is about right for lightweight steel tubing.

& if any of you Raown Derfers seriously think for one single second that steel tubing that thin could withstand the equivalent temperature of an oxy-acetylene cutting torch being played on it for 8 minutes solid, whilst only being cooled down internally by 250C at most, you are insane.

3500C minus 250C = 3250C.

ALL stainless steel melts at 1600C max.

3250C minus 1600C = 1650C.

So; that's 1650C you still need to dispose of... Care to explain how?

Of course, I'd just prefer you try the experiment I suggested; make sure you video it & leave instructions to someone who can post your fiery & explosive death on youtube mind...

We'll all enjoy that!

Toodle-pip, Losers; see you soon...

Until then; Carry On Lying!

I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

« Reply #3667 on: November 17, 2015, 04:25:03 AM »
If you actually read whichever article you quoted the J2 thickness from then actually it is constructed from 0.3m thickness tubes not plate.

LULZ!!!

Walter 'Mainframes' Mitty brings the comedy gold again!

33 centimeter thick stainless steel tubes - LMFAO!!!

& how do you know what article I read anyhow?

Are you psychic now, as well as psychotic?

No; the article I read clearly said the tube walls were 0.3 millimetres thick, which is about right for lightweight steel tubing.

& if any of you Raown Derfers seriously think for one single second that steel tubing that thin could withstand the equivalent temperature of an oxy-acetylene cutting torch being played on it for 8 minutes solid, whilst only being cooled down internally by 250C at most, you are insane.

3500C minus 250C = 3250C.

ALL stainless steel melts at 1600C max.

3250C minus 1600C = 1650C.

So; that's 1650C you still need to dispose of... Care to explain how?

Of course, I'd just prefer you try the experiment I suggested; make sure you video it & leave instructions to someone who can post your fiery & explosive death on youtube mind...

We'll all enjoy that!

Toodle-pip, Losers; see you soon...

Firstly I beg your forgiveness for my typo as I meant to type mm not m for the thickness. I was trying to highlight the fact they were tubes.

Secondly, it is not the temperature difference that is important but the heat capacity. The ignited exhaust might be very hot but it is also gaseous/vapour at this point and therefore actually has a low heat capacity compared to the cryogenic coolants which are liquid. What you need to find out is the flow rate of heat i.e. energy into the tubes and how much is carried away. I think you'll find that the cooling is quite adequate.

You do know how to find heat capacity of substances and calculate the heat transfer don't you?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #3668 on: November 17, 2015, 04:38:22 AM »
The ignited exhaust might be very hot but it is also gaseous/vapour at this point and therefore actually has a low heat capacity compared to the cryogenic coolants which are liquid.

So the exhaust is exactly like the flame of an oxy-acetylene cutter & the coolants are exactly like the contents of a LOX cylinder.

Ergo, my experiment still stands.

So; off you toddle & get it done - remember to set the camera at a safe distance!

You Raown Derfers really don't have much practical experience of anything at all, do you?

« Reply #3669 on: November 17, 2015, 05:12:10 AM »
The ignited exhaust might be very hot but it is also gaseous/vapour at this point and therefore actually has a low heat capacity compared to the cryogenic coolants which are liquid.

So the exhaust is exactly like the flame of an oxy-acetylene cutter & the coolants are exactly like the contents of a LOX cylinder.

So; off you toddle & get it done - remember to set the camera at a safe distance!

You Raown Derfers really don't have much practical experience of anything at all, do you?

The difference here is that the coolants used are being refreshed constantly from the main tanks and therefore heat exchange is constant. The nozzle is being actively cooled.

An acetylene cutting torch on a LOX tank will heat the tank until it fails as there is no cooling method.

Massive difference in situations. Your arguments are getting seriously weak. Where's the challenge....?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3670 on: November 17, 2015, 05:22:41 AM »
Why does your car's engine block not melt on long trips when it's only surrounded by a jacket of water/glycol mix?  Surely the concept of a water cooled car engine is very similar to regenerative cooled rocket engine.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #3671 on: November 17, 2015, 05:41:25 AM »

Have you ever boiled water in a paper cup?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3672 on: November 17, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »

Have you ever boiled water in a paper cup?
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">! No longer available

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #3673 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »
Yay!

All three of the stooges are here - Larry, Curly & Moe!

All trying to tell me that a Three-and-a-half-THOUSAND degree celsius jet of flame can be played upon a steel tube as thin as a piece of paper for over 8 minutes with No Problems Whatsoever...

It'll work JUUUUST FINE.

LMFAO!!!

What's even funnier is the choice of coolant for your ridiculous 'regenerative cooling' concept: Hydrogen gas, one of the most volatile substances imaginable, mixed with Oxygen to make it even more dangerous...

Cos yeah; THAT'S a good idea!

Honestly; have any of you done any welding?

No - don't answer that!

You'll just Pretend you're the Emeritus Professor of Welding, Cutting, Brazing & Soldering at the University of Mydadsbiggerthanyourdad in Gobbledy-gookshire or something...

Jesus Christ, you're beyond redemption ain't you?

& sock-arul; boiling water in a paper cup?

Really?

ROFLMFAO!!!

Fantastic... Oh, deary me, let me dry my eyes...

Anyhoo; we'll move on to De Laval nozzles soon, when your next Three Stooges slapstick act is done.

Conker

« Reply #3674 on: November 17, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
You didnt answer to my question, Papa. What exactly is that you dont believe about rocket regenerative cooling? That will help me pin down a demonstration or a couple papers on the subject.

« Reply #3675 on: November 17, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »
Yay!

All three of the stooges are here - Larry, Curly & Moe!

All trying to tell me that a Three-and-a-half-THOUSAND degree celsius jet of flame can be played upon a steel tube as thin as a piece of paper for over 8 minutes with No Problems Whatsoever...

It'll work JUUUUST FINE.

LMFAO!!!

What's even funnier is the choice of coolant for your ridiculous 'regenerative cooling' concept: Hydrogen gas, one of the most volatile substances imaginable, mixed with Oxygen to make it even more dangerous...

Cos yeah; THAT'S a good idea!

No - don't answer that!

You'll just Pretend you're the Emeritus Professor of Welding, Cutting, Brazing & Soldering at the University of Mydadsbiggerthanyourdad in Gobbledy-gookshire or something...

Jesus Christ, you're beyond redemption ain't you?

Really?

ROFLMFAO!!!

Fantastic... Oh, deary me, let me dry my eyes...

Anyhoo; we'll move on to De Laval nozzles soon, when your next Three Stooges slapstick act is done.

The liquid oxygen and hydrogen are not mixed. They are in separate pipes.

And you clearly don't understand what the video showing paper cup being heated is showing you. Once you understand heat transfer and heat capacity then come back and discuss the temperature of the J2 nozzle.

Have you ever tries welding a piece of metal that has the other end stuck in a bucket of ice cold water? Try it. I guarantee that the acetylene torch will not cut the metal as too much heat will be drawn away into the water. Once the water has boiled off then the acetylene will cut the metal.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #3676 on: November 17, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »
You didnt answer to my question, Papa.

That'd be because I didn't READ your question.

& that'd be because I ignore people who try to tell me that a steel tube as thin as a sheet of paper can withstand 3500C heat for 8 minutes.

& that'd be because people who try to tell me such things are idiots & time-wasters.

& that'd be YOU.

Next!

Have you ever tries welding a piece of metal that has the other end stuck in a bucket of ice cold water? Try it. I guarantee that the acetylene torch will not cut the metal as too much heat will be drawn away into the water. Once the water has boiled off then the acetylene will cut the metal.

BEST!

SHITPOST!

EVAAAAAAARRR!!!!!!

I swear, I'm showing this one to my welder mates; they'll piss themselves...

Thank you, Raown Derfers; you have truly made my day!

?

tappet

« Reply #3677 on: November 17, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »

Shitpost!

« Reply #3678 on: November 17, 2015, 01:06:03 PM »
Looks like heat capacity, conduction and most other thermodynamics are beyond you then then.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3679 on: November 17, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »
Do you have a reading disability?  First of all, it's liquid hydrogen (one of the coldest liquids imaginable), not hydrogen gas.  Secondly, the liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen aren't mixed until they get sprayed into the combustion chamber.

I have some hands on experience soldering household pipes.  What have you done?

Nope, just some basic home handyman practical experience.

Really?
Yes, really.  Do you have reason to doubt the video that I linked?  There's lots more on YouTube if you want to look.

Why, when you don't even understand basic heat transfer?

*edit*  Oh look, I forced a brand new page.  Something else for you to gripe about. ::)

Conker

« Reply #3680 on: November 17, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »
So, then, we are to assume that the problem with regenerative cooling is just the numbers? (That is, you accept regenerative cooling as a thing, but dont accept its use in rocketry because of scale and magnitude)

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #3681 on: November 18, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
So, then, we are to assume that the problem with regenerative cooling is just the numbers?

Nope.

You really do need to learn to read.

My problem with being told that a paper-thin steel tube filled with one of the most combustible substances in existence is capable of being blasted by a hypersonic jet of gases heated to 3,500C for over 8 minutes without it melting & exploding is that it is complete bullshit & physically impossible.

You can keep telling me that it isn't until you're blue in the face; I understand that you are all Liars & that Lying is your purpose here...

But it won't make it True.

Nothing will.

So; Carry On Lying!

« Reply #3682 on: November 18, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »
So, then, we are to assume that the problem with regenerative cooling is just the numbers?

Nope.

You really do need to learn to read.

My problem with being told that a paper-thin steel tube filled with one of the most combustible substances in existence is capable of being blasted by a hypersonic jet of gases heated to 3,500C for over 8 minutes without it melting & exploding is that it is complete bullshit & physically impossible.

You can keep telling me that it isn't until you're blue in the face; I understand that you are all Liars & that Lying is your purpose here...

But it won't make it True.

Nothing will.

So; Carry On Lying!

The steel being paper thin is a good thing. It allows efficient heat transfer from the exhaust plume to the cryogenic fluid. The LOX and LH are heated slightly but they are not mixed at this point and it actually improves the combustion performance once they are added to the combustion chamber.

Perhaps you could demonstrate how much the fluids are heated and demonstrate your point...?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #3683 on: November 18, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
Remember saying this, Walter Mitty?

Seems like tappet spotted it too; anyone who's ever done any welding will know, beyond all doubt, that you are a complete buffoon & not to be taken seriously, by anyone, ever again, ever.

Shitpost!

Now GTFO.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3684 on: November 18, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

Seems like tappet spotted it too; anyone who's ever done any welding will know, beyond all doubt, that you are a complete buffoon & not to be taken seriously, by anyone, ever again, ever.

Shitpost!

Now GTFO.
Apparently tappet has never tried to solder a pipe joint when the pipe still has water in it either.  I can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't work.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #3685 on: November 18, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
Jesus Christ are you still here, channelling Lewis Carroll?

Should we call an exorcist, Humpty Dumpty?

Here's a quote from Alice Through the Looking Glass:

Alice: 'One can't believe Impossible Things!'

Red Queen: 'I dare say you haven't had much practice. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six Impossible Things before breakfast.'

Toodle-pip, 21st-century schizoid markjo!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #3686 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
Are you gong to ever provide a proper rebuttal?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #3687 on: November 18, 2015, 09:53:14 PM »
Well, if I were to 'provide a rebuttal' it might dignify your lying, shitposting & sock-puppetry with the status of a 'debate'.

So no, I won't.

Instead I will simply provide Information for the neutral reader to make of what they will, whilst simultaneously mocking your preposterous & deceitful responses.

If you don't like that, then stop responding; no-one will miss you, I guarantee it.

?

tappet

« Reply #3688 on: November 18, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »

Shitpost!

Now GTFO.
Apparently tappet has never tried to solder a pipe joint when the pipe still has water in it either.  I can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't work.
Stop bullshitting. Any plumber knows if you have a leak in copper pipe with water in it you put a cut with a hacksaw further down the line to relieve steam pressure then weld your leak, then turn around and weld your cut. You can not get rid of all of the water.
Why are you now talking about solder?
Have you not seen underwater welding on ships?
And Mainframes obviously does not know the difference between cutting with acetylene and welding.
Terrible shitposting by roundies.
Here look, Chinese in space- " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:20:09 PM by tappet »

« Reply #3689 on: November 18, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »

Shitpost!

Now GTFO.
Stop bullshitting. Any plumber knows if you have a leak in copper pipe with water in it you put a cut with a hacksaw further down the line to relieve steam pressure then weld your leak, then turn around and weld your cut. You can not get rid of all of the water.
Why are you now talking about solder?
Have you not seen underwater welding on ships?
And Mainframes obviously does not know the difference between cutting with acetylene and welding.
Terrible shitposting by roundies.
Here look, Chinese in space- " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Any plumber will actually tell you that the pipe needs to be fully drained before it can be soldered. Also underwater welding is done using a type of electrode welding using flux in gas bubbles, not acetylene torches.