Name one, please...

• 92 Replies
Name one, please...
« on: September 16, 2019, 06:36:18 AM »
Just a question for all the NASA believers...

Name one particular difference between the scenes of astronauts on the ISS produced by NASA and those scenes of Simon Helberg (playing Howard Wolowitz) on the ISS, produced by Chuck Lorre (The Big Bang Theory).

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
Re: Name one, please...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »

No Wolowitz.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:52:15 AM »
In BBT, Howard is pretty much just floating in place.  On the real ISS, the astronauts can be seen moving around all over the place.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »

Hard drinking Buzz is my favorite even if he never was on the ISS - only the BBT show. When he and his friends dropped down from the Moon on Earth in the Apollo 11 spacecraft through vacuum space 24 July 1969, they dropped faster and faster. In the end Buzz had a speed > 11 000 m/s. The problem was then to find the exact location in the upper atmosphere where to start the landing and braking in the right direction. And Buzz found it! http://heiwaco.com/moontravel1.htm#EV17. And then Buzz pushed the brake pedal hard ... and 10 minutes later at speed about 100 m/s Buzz activated a parachute to reduce speed even more ... and then another parachute to drop down in front of ... Richard Nixon!
I have asked Buzz how he did the braking back in 69 and ... was told it was military national top secret 2019. I even tried to offer Buzz a fifth double vodka martini to tell me but NO! What a show! Same with ISS! It is a little slower but similar ... just push the brake pedal! And no presidents are waiting down on Earth today. This ISS thing is funny. There is no real toilet aboard. Just a chair ... and no paper roll! When Buzz was around in space 1969 they didn't even have a toilet in the spacecraft!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:09:47 PM by Heiwa »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »

Name one particular difference between the scenes of astronauts on the ISS produced by NASA and those scenes of Simon Helberg (playing Howard Wolowitz) on the ISS, produced by Chuck Lorre (The Big Bang Theory).

Water:

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »

https://www.space.com/17891-big-bang-theory-space-set-design.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/equation-shows-that-most-big-conspiracies-would-have-been-revealed-by-now

"If the Moon landing was really a hoax, around 411,000 NASA employees would have known, and it would have been revealed in just 3.7 years."

Trump can't keep a lid on his whitehouse and his peepee tapes will eventually get found.
Big sugar was eventually found out to be the source of all those colesterol and fat and other BS research papers.
Nixon got busted.
Bill Clinton was part of the ol' boys club.
Epstein with all his billions ended up assassinated.
Snowden has a movie about him.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:24:16 PM »

The time between cuts.

The amount of the person visible in the shot.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »

A 50-minute continuous weightless tour of the ISS:

ONE OF THE MOST DETAILED ISS TOUR!!! from Up, into space!

Try simulating that in a "Vomit Comet"!

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 06:26:13 AM »

If you can't see the difference, it's because you are either not paying attention or don't want to see it.

Many real ISS videos are far too long to be filmed in the vomit comet and astronauts move around far too much to be using cables.

There is just no way to fake a weightlessness with astronauts moving around for several minutes in a single take.

You must gather your party before venturing forth

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 06:48:59 AM »
Astronauts in real zero g don't move in slow motion like they do in simulated zero g.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
Well totallacking only posted once on this thread. I think he got the message.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 10:12:57 PM »
Well totallacking only posted once on this thread. I think he got the message.
Not likely, he's Totally Lacking in the ability to get the message.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 07:42:46 AM »
Well, he did ask for one difference.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 03:58:46 AM »
In BBT, Howard is pretty much just floating in place.  On the real ISS, the astronauts can be seen moving around all over the place.

True.

Howard also moves in the show, however...

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 04:01:33 AM »

Water:

Some of the best CGI movie portrayals of water were depicted in the X-Men movies where Quicksilver took on prison guards and rescued mutants from the Xavier mansion.

Water, while absent from the TBBT, isn't that hard to mimic for show...

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 04:03:16 AM »

The time between cuts.

What time between cuts?

I seem to recall a couple of shots where all of Howard was visible...

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 04:04:28 AM »

If you can't see the difference, it's because you are either not paying attention or don't want to see it.

Winner of the best reply so far!!!

[/sarcasm]

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 04:45:53 AM »

The time between cuts.

What time between cuts?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 06:31:01 AM »

True.

Howard also moves in the show, however...
Yes, but not very far.  Nowhere near length of the station (ore even one module).  He doesn't really interact with much of anything either other than maybe an occasional floating pen.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 06:38:19 AM »

The time between cuts.

What time between cuts?

"We really examined ways we could reimagine the spaces we added," Shaffner said.

Part of that was made possible by the way they achieved the appearance of weightlessness. Rather than raise the roof and suspend the actors by wires, the solution came from below.

"It was done by supporting the people from underneath," Shaffner revealed. "There was a very long, sort of skinny platform that a person could lie on and it would almost look like they were swimming through in weightlessness."

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »

Winner of the best reply so far!!!

[/sarcasm]

You missed half of the answer and the video. I guess you weren't paying attention or you didn't want to see it:

Many real ISS videos are far too long to be filmed in the vomit comet and astronauts move around far too much to be using cables.

There is just no way to fake a weightlessness with astronauts moving around for several minutes in a single take.

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 09:47:19 AM »

Water:

Some of the best CGI movie portrayals of water were depicted in the X-Men movies where Quicksilver took on prison guards and rescued mutants from the Xavier mansion.

Could you share the video so that we can compare? Making some floating balls is not difficult. Making it move while refracting and lensing as in the ISS video is another thing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:48:36 AM by kopfverderber »

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
This ISS thing is orbiting Earth at high speed. Say it is 7 660 m/s. It is fast.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=international+space+station+-+speed+in+orbit
One question is how to return from it and land on Earth a 0 speed.
How do you brake?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »

Water:

You're joking, right? Water isn't hard to mimic? That scene in X-Men was amazing and ground-breaking. The absolute show piece of that film. It took an army of CGI artists, millions of dollars and days and days to render each element. It took months and months to create.

If water is so easy to mimic, why don't you explain how it's done.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »

To be fair, algorithms for simulating water have gotten much better over the years.  Here's something from 2002:

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 01:55:45 PM »

To be fair, algorithms for simulating water have gotten much better over the years.  Here's something from 2002:

Oh yeah, totally agree. What we can render these days is basically sorcery, no doubt. But the fact of the matter, to create the interactions, lighting effects, fluidity all within an environment that is hyperrealistic takes gobs of money, time, and artists. All of the ISS footage we see, to fake it, would take gobs of money, time, and artists.

Not to say that it couldn't be done, just seems highly impractical and actually quite pointless. As well, you won't see these types of effects on TBBT because of the aforementioned gobs of money, time, and artists required.

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 04:14:10 PM »

Simulating a bubble of water is probably trivial these days. But in the NASA videos you also see the face of the astronaut and the background through the bubble. The water bubble is like a lens deforming the face of the astronaut in different ways as the shape and position of the bubble changes. I'm not sure if that can be done so perfectly with CGI, those  water bubble videos from the ISS are pretty amazing.

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 04:08:52 AM »

The time between cuts.

What time between cuts?

You missed half of the answer and the video. I guess you weren't paying attention or you didn't want to see it:

Rab and kopfverderber, I do not have the current ability to view the videos you presented, so my apologies.

Is there any firm and substantive evidence the video(s) have not been edited in any way, other than the title?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:10:48 AM by totallackey »

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 04:15:00 AM »

Water:

You're joking, right? Water isn't hard to mimic? That scene in X-Men was amazing and ground-breaking. The absolute show piece of that film. It took an army of CGI artists, millions of dollars and days and days to render each element. It took months and months to create.

I do not need to explain how it is done.

No, I am not joking.

Water is evidently not that hard to mimic.

Stating the amount of time and persons required to create is simply part of marketing hoopla.

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 04:16:37 AM »

Oh yeah, totally agree. What we can render these days is basically sorcery, no doubt. But the fact of the matter, to create the interactions, lighting effects, fluidity all within an environment that is hyperrealistic takes gobs of money, time, and artists. All of the ISS footage we see, to fake it, would take gobs of money, time, and artists.

Not to say that it couldn't be done, just seems highly impractical and actually quite pointless. As well, you won't see these types of effects on TBBT because of the aforementioned gobs of money, time, and artists required.
^ Nice claiming going on here!

Nice supporting???...not so much...