Total Members Voted: 8

Werepenguins Round 2 Spectators' Thread

• 153 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Re: Werepenguins Round 2 Spectators' Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
Yes. Shifter really fucked up the Exorcist role. It wasn't even a high-percentage chance he would get it, but I blame him for messing up my vision for that character. He didn't even get a single shot at a save.

The burning emblem on the door from the psychic just seems like a great visual queue that should be there, to me. Almost as if the real truthterra has looked into your soul, and the universe reacted violently but in a very limited scope.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
I wonder if it makes sense to add another quirk to a future game. The role of the psychic has been pretty standard. What if the psychic leaves a mystical icon emblazoned on the door of the person that he inquires about? It won't indicate whether that person was an innocent or a werepenguin, it would just indicate that the psychic had inquired about them.

I think that would be a neat twist. I won't be doing it in this game, because it's underway. But maybe next game it would be fun to add.

I like the exorcist role, too, based on the traditional Faith Healer from the Mafia game, but Shifter really ate a big dong on that one... ::)

It would be good also if there were enough players that the amount of penguins was unknown. So there could be 2 or could be 3 penguins. Everyone knows we are playing with 2 penguins on the board but in reality, how would the villagers know this? They know there is at least 1 murderer and that's it.....

What if we didn't introduce the names of the penguins until after they had killed someone? And that the order they kill is random and not sequential (so the narrator roles a dice and that decides who kills). This way the amount of penguins in play would be unknown. And if a penguin is killed, it's no guarantee that there is only 1 more penguin.

Imagine lynching a 2nd penguin and still not sleeping easy that night.

To add further intrigue you could have it that a penguin may choose not to kill. (perhaps if they do this option, they could select 2 kills the next night). Even if all the penguins are dead, you still wouldn't know and the villagers could still lynch each other despite only innocents being in play. It could be then that we play until the last person standing or they decide not to lynch anyone anymore. If there is a penguin among them, the penguin wins by default. If only humans left, well, the humans win.

I dunno, just random thoughts. Needs more work

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »
One of the fun characters I've seen is double agents; regular innocents who're working for the penguins. An extra vote for lynchings, and when they die no one would know what they were, but they can't kill during the night. Only downside is that probably needs more players.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
One change I've been thinking about is something like 3 or more ghosts from lynching being able to act as a psychic. It's a counter balance to situations like this where the humans are losing badly and it gives the ghosts something to do. Probably needs more refinement.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »
Yes. Shifter really fucked up the Exorcist role. It wasn't even a high-percentage chance he would get it, but I blame him for messing up my vision for that character. He didn't even get a single shot at a save.

The burning emblem on the door from the psychic just seems like a great visual queue that should be there, to me. Almost as if the real truthterra has looked into your soul, and the universe reacted violently but in a very limited scope.

How did I fuck it up? I played similar to the last game (which I was an innocent). I voted early even against my better judgment in the first round but people were basically saying if you dont vote, you are suspect. So I voted because I had to go to bed and may not have had a chance. Roundy fucked it by leading a charge to lynch me. I was able to wake up before it was assured I would be lynched but everyone decided to go with Roundy despite my efforts to claim innocence.

Perhaps I should have not said anything for a few rounds? What kind of play is that?

I said it before and I'll say it again. Voting in the first round is idiotic because it's only pot luck. The idea that the first person who votes or if someone doesn't want to vote makes them suspect is stupid. I could have been chosen as a penguin or not chosen as anything special and I would have played the same way on the first day.

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2018, 05:23:33 PM »
I like the ideas, but we really don't need to add extra advantages for the werepenguins just yet. We need to get a good idea of what changes will balance the game. And any single game won't really be indicative of having a balance. But I think there are subtle ways to give the villagers a little bit more help in future games. The exorcist is one way. Jane's idea was basically like the doctor from Mafia - someone with a 100% chance at a save. I went with the faith healer idea because I thought the added little bit of chance would be fun, but maybe the doctor is a better choice in a game as small as we have been playing.

I'm still having a lot of fun, both as a player and as a narrator, with the way this game has run so far. But if the villagers can't pull off a win sometime soon, I'm worried about future turnout taking a nosedive.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
Someday we will get those penguins.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »

How did I fuck it up? I played similar to the last game (which I was an innocent). I voted early even against my better judgment in the first round but people were basically saying if you dont vote, you are suspect. So I voted because I had to go to bed and may not have had a chance. Roundy fucked it by leading a charge to lynch me. I was able to wake up before it was assured I would be lynched but everyone decided to go with Roundy despite my efforts to claim innocence.

Perhaps I should have not said anything for a few rounds? What kind of play is that?

I said it before and I'll say it again. Voting in the first round is idiotic because it's only pot luck. The idea that the first person who votes or if someone doesn't want to vote makes them suspect is stupid. I could have been chosen as a penguin or not chosen as anything special and I would have played the same way on the first day.

You fucked it up by dying, mofo! (also, don't take what I said personally ;) )

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
I personally like the hunter. A last ditch chance to kill someone when they backstab you. I don't like letting penguins stack kills. Either kill or waste the chance. I think I'd rather the psychic observation reveal to each person observed that they were looked at vs having the world to see who was looked at.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2018, 05:25:13 PM »
One change I've been thinking about is something like 3 or more ghosts from lynching being able to act as a psychic. It's a counter balance to situations like this where the humans are losing badly and it gives the ghosts something to do. Probably needs more refinement.

This is an interesting idea

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
One of the fun characters I've seen is double agents; regular innocents who're working for the penguins. An extra vote for lynchings, and when they die no one would know what they were, but they can't kill during the night. Only downside is that probably needs more players.

That's a cool idea. So basically a human that is in cahoots with the penguins, somewhat assured they wont be dying in the night, but working with the penguins to establish a voting bloc against who they want lynched. This would mean they know the identities of the penguins but cant reveal it

You could always have it, they only know the identity of just ONE of the penguins, and perhaps if a penguin is murdered, than all bets for his safety are off.

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »
I like the ideas, but we really don't need to add extra advantages for the werepenguins just yet. We need to get a good idea of what changes will balance the game. And any single game won't really be indicative of having a balance. But I think there are subtle ways to give the villagers a little bit more help in future games. The exorcist is one way. Jane's idea was basically like the doctor from Mafia - someone with a 100% chance at a save. I went with the faith healer idea because I thought the added little bit of chance would be fun, but maybe the doctor is a better choice in a game as small as we have been playing.

I'm still having a lot of fun, both as a player and as a narrator, with the way this game has run so far. But if the villagers can't pull off a win sometime soon, I'm worried about future turnout taking a nosedive.

The fact the truthterra hasn't been killed yet is good for the humans. He would have gained enough knowledge by now to essentially know by process of elimination who the penguins are likely to be even if every one he inquired about is a regular villager.

Also, even if the penguins win every game, this game is still super fun for the non penguins to play. I don't think turnout will be a problem. Sure, lets get more balance, more roles, new abilities etc, but even dying in the first round, the game is still awesome

Know your place

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
I personally like the hunter. A last ditch chance to kill someone when they backstab you. I don't like letting penguins stack kills. Either kill or waste the chance. I think I'd rather the psychic observation reveal to each person observed that they were looked at vs having the world to see who was looked at.
The one downside to the hunter being that it'd make our limited bodycount go down faster.
Did make me think though, there could be a player who, in a similar vein to the faith healer, has a 50% chance of surviving whenever they're attacked. Probably just by werepenguin, though maybe lynching too. Their identity would be outed the first time someone tries to kill them, but it gives the townsfolk a much-needed extra chance. Could counterbalance.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »
The one downside to the hunter being that it'd make our limited bodycount go down faster.
Did make me think though, there could be a player who, in a similar vein to the faith healer, has a 50% chance of surviving whenever they're attacked. Probably just by werepenguin, though maybe lynching too. Their identity would be outed the first time someone tries to kill them, but it gives the townsfolk a much-needed extra chance. Could counterbalance.

Could be good if there is someone with the possibility to survive a penguin attack. It would make the penguins think about who they would want to kill. This persons role if he was lynched or killed (on the first attempt) would not be revealed meaning the penguins may never know when they select who they want to kill that its a sure thing. (unless they tried and failed once).

Perhaps if they are lucky enough to survive, they get a clue (nothing more) as to the identity of the werepenguin

Know your place

DuckDodgers

« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »
There is an elder role. He can survive 1 penguin attack. Upon the 2nd or a lynching,  all special villagers lose their powers. There is also a village idiot the if the villagers try to lynch, he is revealed and cannot be lynched, but loses his power to vote.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2018, 06:00:56 PM »
There is also a village idiot the if the villagers try to lynch, he is revealed and cannot be lynched, but loses his power to vote.

BHS WAS BORN FOR THAT ROLE!

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »
There is also a village idiot the if the villagers try to lynch, he is revealed and cannot be lynched, but loses his power to vote.

BHS WAS BORN FOR THAT ROLE!
I refuse to play any game where BHS can't be lynched.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2018, 09:34:51 PM »
I have sent banana bombs to you.  ;D

Excellent work, Brotherhood. We could really use your skill in the next round of this game. Would you consider sticking around and playing?

I can join as a penguin, not a player. I'm still not fully got the game. I think I'm going to be a jroa.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2018, 09:50:39 PM »

Excellent work, Brotherhood. We could really use your skill in the next round of this game. Would you consider sticking around and playing?

I can join as a penguin, not a player. I'm still not fully got the game. I think I'm going to be a jroa.

I'm playing the game and I still don't understand it.  ::)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »

I'm playing the game and I still don't understand it.  ::)

I believe you have to send boydster a PM soon to tell him who you want killed  :P

Know your place

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2018, 12:59:03 AM »
The double agent sounds like it is just another werewolf by a different name.  Also, all these roles sound good if we can get more participation. 

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2018, 04:54:38 AM »

How about a poisoned chalice, a player who on being killed infects the killer penguin with a disease that will kill in two days. 
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2018, 05:31:32 AM »
What?

DuckDodgers

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2018, 06:01:46 AM »
Oh, what about a village lard ball? When the penguins eat him, they are so stuffed they can't eat the next night.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2018, 06:25:50 AM »
Oh, what about a village lard ball? When the penguins eat him, they are so stuffed they can't eat the next night.
My biggest problem with that is that it impacts gameplay to an extent, at least for the penguins. Good roles would enhance rather than overrule. Like, even with the elder-type role the penguins still do something, and get information that they can work with. 'Miss a turn' is a bit harsh when turns last 48 hours. Longer in fact given that penguins alternate.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2018, 06:27:42 AM »

and it gives them a heart attack?   ;)

DuckDodgers

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2018, 06:31:51 AM »
This would take some coordination between the narrator and the dead, and secrecy on the part of the dead, but the IRL game had some situations that could take place, one of which was a seance. Basically, the dead people know who the penguins are, and the living people nominate someone to contact the dead and ask a question. The questions are predetermined to provide some information, but not outright give them away, such as is the penguin male or female, do they wear glasses, what color hair do they have, etc. Obviously the questions would need to be tweaked some, such as does their name contain a certain letter or have they voted for an innocent to die, or something else like that. It kind of plays off of cruton's idea of the 3 dead psychic.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2018, 06:48:05 AM »
This would take some coordination between the narrator and the dead, and secrecy on the part of the dead, but the IRL game had some situations that could take place, one of which was a seance. Basically, the dead people know who the penguins are, and the living people nominate someone to contact the dead and ask a question. The questions are predetermined to provide some information, but not outright give them away, such as is the penguin male or female, do they wear glasses, what color hair do they have, etc. Obviously the questions would need to be tweaked some, such as does their name contain a certain letter or have they voted for an innocent to die, or something else like that. It kind of plays off of cruton's idea of the 3 dead psychic.

Maybe, but I wonder if it should be yes/no questions only and the dead are not allowed to lie. 

DuckDodgers

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2018, 06:57:28 AM »
That's the idea. The narrator would create the question list and then the villagers select a representative to ask 1 question which is yes/no. I'll dig out my game cards in the near future and show you an example of the questions.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2018, 07:08:58 AM »
Another interesting idea, which lends power to the argument of early lynching is starting with 1 fewer penguins than should be playing and the first victim becomes a penguin either the next night or the 1 following unless the original is killed.  Obviously the marked player wouldn't be revealed, we would just know someone got bit but not killed and will soon transform. That person would play as a human until they become a penguin, and only at that point find out who turned them.