Poll

What is the source of the FES map in the FAQ?

FES
13 (38.2%)
Elsewhere
21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

The source of FES's map

• 220 Replies

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
The source of FES's map
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »

Tom Bishop claims that this, the "official" FES map depicted in the FAQ, was designed by Flat Earthers and that all maps which resemble it were stolen from the FES, and even that the geometrical transformation formulae which project the globe into this configuration were actually concocted after the fact.

Is this a prevailing view around here, or is Tom the only one making these bold claims?
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: The source of FES's map
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Are you asking if that map was created here?  Yes.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

zarg

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
No, I'm asking if it was designed by Flat Earthers and that all maps which resemble it were stolen from the FES, and even that the geometrical transformation formulae which project the globe into this configuration were actually concocted after the fact.
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Rushy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
No, I'm asking if it was designed by Flat Earthers

This was just answered.

that all maps which resemble it were stolen from the FES,

No one here or in the links you posted ever made that claim.

even that the geometrical transformation formulae which project the globe into this configuration were actually concocted after the fact.

After what fact? Purposely being vague to try and squeeze "gotcha!" answers out of someone is quite silly.

zarg

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »
No, I'm asking if it was designed by Flat Earthers

This was just answered.

It was answered with an apparent misunderstanding of the scope of the question.

Certainly Tom has.

Read Earth Not a Globe, please. The same model was used 150 years ago.
All of those originate from the Flat Earth maps in the 1800's.

even that the geometrical transformation formulae which project the globe into this configuration were actually concocted after the fact.

After what fact? Purposely being vague to try and squeeze "gotcha!" answers out of someone is quite silly.

I was trying to be succinct, not vague. It's a common idiom, at least in my experience, and I didn't think it would cause any confusion. What I mean is that Tom claimed that the map in the FAQ was not produced by -- nor based on something produced by -- the formula which produces a map that looks exactly like it. Rather, they invented it from scratch on their own, and then after it already existed, Round Earthers cleverly devised a formula to transform the globe into that configuration.

Rushy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »

Certainly Tom has.

Read Earth Not a Globe, please. The same model was used 150 years ago.
All of those originate from the Flat Earth maps in the 1800's.

www.rif.org  Tom said "all of those." He did not say all maps.

I was trying to be succinct, not vague. It's a common idiom, at least in my experience, and I didn't think it would cause any confusion. What I mean is that Tom claimed that the map in the FAQ was not produced by -- nor based on something produced by -- the formula which produces a map that looks exactly like it. Rather, they invented it from scratch on their own, and then after it already existed, Round Earthers cleverly devised a formula to transform the globe into that configuration.

The map and the formula is based on the original flat earth map.

?

Cat Earth Theory

• I practise the Zetetic Method!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »

There's no difference in meaning there.

...this is exactly the claim zarg is taking issue with.
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »

Yes, that's correct. The Flat Earth map was popularized in the mid 1800's. If anyone later came up independently with that map layout, it's still the Flat Earth map from popular culture. It's just as if someone came up independently with a bat in an oval symbol. It's still the Batman symbol.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:24:12 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Cat Earth Theory

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
So you're saying Rowbotham invented the azimuthal equidistant projection?
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.

Rushy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »

There's no difference in meaning there.

You need this too, apparently:

www.rif.org

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
we really need to update the map to Master Willmore's Zetetic map.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »
we really need to update the map to Master Willmore's Zetetic map.

Use its correct title - the Magic Jumping Sun map. Furthermore it is in no way zetetic by any meaning of the word.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

Cat Earth Theory

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »
You need this too, apparently:

www.rif.org

I'm sorry that you write nonsense that doesn't make any sense.  I'm sure that you're well aware of that fact, though.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again -- your trolling is getting very weak.  Maybe it always was and I didn't notice, but you're clearly putting zero effort into it here.

zarg

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »
Tom said "all of those." He did not say all maps.

Check the context. What I said, and what he said, mean the same thing. You'll notice that I didn't say "all maps", full stop, either.

Alright, then there's your vote. Glad that's settled.

zarg

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »
So you're saying Rowbotham invented the azimuthal equidistant projection?

That's basically what he's saying, except there's more: the result of the projection was designed by Flat-Earthers, without mathematically transforming the globe, and then someone invented the mathematics to make it look like it's based on a globe. To which my response (which received no answer) was:

You seem to be having a hard time grasping why the fact that "your" map perfectly matches this formula is such a ridiculous coincidence.  So let's ignore the math itself for now and look at the practical application of it:

I measure the distance from the center of that map to any other point on it; for example, let's say the southeastern corner of Australia. Now if I take a globe which has a circumference equal to the diameter of your map, and wrap a string from the north pole of that globe to the southeastern corner of Australia, the length of the string will be exactly the same measurement. This will work for a line from the north pole to anywhere else on the map. How do you explain this phenomenon?

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 04:31:37 AM »
If this is a map of FE, then how do yo explain the southern hemisphere?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 07:45:51 AM »
Are you guys sure the source wasn't the United Nations logo? Because the two maps look strikingly similar:

Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 07:57:03 AM »
There's one thing which is certain: either it's a FE map or a RE map.

It cannot be both at the same time.

?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »
I find some science logos rather unsettling. DARPA use such logos. A globe with an illuminati conspiracy sign next to it. Its not very subtle.

How much are they trying to scream "we're part of the conspiracy"?

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 08:30:24 AM »
Apparently, they are not.

FE'ers say: there's a conspiracy but we cannot prove it.

?

Thork

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »

Why are you correcting me on what we say? I'm busy saying something else entirely. Conspiracy is a cornerstone of this society and I don't care what any of these newfags like iwanttobelieve say. There is a conspiracy. The proper FErs like Tom Bishop do not give you any of this "we can't prove it" rubbish.

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
If there was a conspirace, would the DARPA guys put it so bluntly in a logo?

PS. since you question everything, why don't you question the conspiracy?

iWitness

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »

I'd say the United Nations Logo having the Flat Earth map is a pretty good indication of a conspiracy.

Does no one else find that absolutely hilarious?
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

iWitness

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
If there was a conspirace, would the DARPA guys put it so bluntly in a logo?

PS. since you question everything, why don't you question the conspiracy?

Because people are arrogant idiots that think they are Gods.

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

I'd say the United Nations Logo having the Flat Earth map is a pretty good indication of a conspiracy.

Does no one else find that absolutely hilarious?

In what way!?

iWitness

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:44 AM »
Well you tell me...

Flat Earth society logo:

United Nations logo:

And what you Round Earthers are trying to shove down our throats:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:37:28 AM by iWitness »

iWitness

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »
There is only one explanation for a coincidence of this magnitude ladies and gentlemen... And that is that Republicans WERE, in fact, the founding fathers of The Flat Earth Society. And those same Republicans, just so happen to be great ancestors of Daniel Shenton.

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
There is only one explanation for a coincidence of this magnitude ladies and gentlemen... And that is that Republicans WERE, in fact, the founding fathers of The Flat Earth Society. And those same Republicans, just so happen to be great ancestors of Daniel Shenton.

Still devoid of sense.

zarg

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
And what you Round Earthers are trying to shove down our throats:

Actually, that would be the United Nations logo too.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
People are just not going to believe in a conspiracy, it is so huge they just won't believe it. It seems like it almost takes an act of God to see what is going on in the world. It is like"Men in Black" movie.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth