Why are skeptics considered outcasts?

• 136 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
In The Mist by Stephen King, the name Flat Earth Society is used as a derogatory term to describe a group that refuses to accept the presence of monsters in the mist outside.

In both the book and movie of the same name the skeptics against the fantastic and paranormal are portrayed as outcasts and somehow less rational than others who are quick to jump on the supernatural bandwagon. As if "a tentacle monster beat him up and ate him in the back room when no one was looking" is the most rational explanation, and should be readily accepted as truth.

Flat Earthers are skeptics, and rightly so. NASA's claims of the fantastic and extraordinary need to be peer reviewed by an unconnected party, just as claims of a tentacle monster in the back room needs to be peer reviewed by an unconnected party. The evidence needs to be readily seen and cumulative.

We're not the ones supporting fantastic ideas like NASA can send men to the moon, robots to mars, and space ships to explore the solar system. You are. Those science fiction claims are extraordinary and absurd. You are blindly believing in things which cannot be confirmed by an unconnected third party. You are putting your faith in government, which on other subjects, you will do a 180o turn and almost universally call them liars and corrupt.

Why does blind belief win out over skepticism?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:36:36 AM by Tom Bishop »

Re: Why are skeptics considered outcasts?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
In The Mist by Stephen King, the name Flat Earth Society is used as a derogatory term to describe a group that refuses to accept the presence of monsters in the mist outside.

In the book and movie the skeptics against the fantastic and paranormal are portrayed as outcasts and somehow less rational than others who are quick to jump on the supernatural bandwagon. As if "a tentacle monster beat him up and ate him in the back room when no one was looking" is the most rational explanation, and should be readily accepted as truth.

Flat Earthers are skeptics, and rightly so. NASA's claims of the fantastic and extraordinary need to be peer reviewed by an unconnected party, just as claims of a tentacle monster in the back room needs to be peer reviewed by an unconnected party. The evidence needs to be readily seen and cumulative.

We're not the ones supporting fantastic ideas like NASA can send men to the moon, robots to mars, and space ships to explore the solar system. You are. Those science fiction claims are extraordinary and absurd. You are blindly believing in things which cannot be confirmed by an unconnected third party. You are putting your faith in the government, which on other subjects, you will do a 180o turn and almost universally call them liars and corrupt.

Wrong question. Why do your beliefs fail to carry the day?  Basically because they're wrong and you have been caught in lie to defend them.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »
3 Words - Magic Bullet Theory

Just goes to show the lengths that the PTB will go to cover up Truth and blind the masses. The reason skeptics are considered outcasts because if you do not believe then that means the Government is lying to us and why would our government do that?
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

?

trig

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
There are two kinds of skeptics: those who refuse to accept the information they are given until a reasonable scientific explanation is available and those who refuse to accept the information they are given unless it matches their own preconceptions. The latter are otherwise called true believers, just as those in the aptly named forum here.

Now who, exactly, would be interested in the opinion written into the characters of Stephen King? He is a master director of horror movies, but he is no scientist, skeptic, true believer or expert as far as I know. And even if he were, there is no problem whatsoever in his characterization of his characters in whatever terms he wants. Of course, if all his characters are scientists and the mist is just what real mist is, the movie would last for 15 seconds and capture an audience of zero people total.

The tired old NASA conspiracy "theory" does not even justify our time.

?

trig

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »

Just goes to show the lengths that the PTB will go to cover up Truth and blind the masses. The reason skeptics are considered outcasts because if you do not believe then that means the Government is lying to us and why would our government do that?
You can go talk about your conspiracy theories in Random Musings or Angry Ranting. This is the place for subjects related to a Flat Earth.

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
I loved the film 'The mist'. The bit at the end when the guy gets out of his car and sees the military and wails "Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!" whilst Lisa Gerrard is is also wailing Noooooo! Nooooo!!! Noooooo! in the music with all the irony and ... well watch for yourself if you haven't seen it. Its awesome.

Tom's point is shrewd. How is it people like ClockTower will readily believe anything the 'authorities' tell him about science but believe what he chooses about politics or religion and make his own mind up? And why is walking on the moon, space tourism, whizzing round space on a giant fare-ground ride whirling amongst all manner of dangers, things magically sticking to one another (gravity) etc etc all preferable to the mundane explanation? Earth is flat. The love of the fantastical, the yearning for the special, the extraordinary, the desire to allow ones imagination to run riot is an alluring and intoxicating choice. Maybe round earther's just want to dream of men walking on the moon or that one day Virgin will fly them into space? The red pill or the blue? 

I sometimes buy a lottery ticket. The odds are 14 million to 1. I know I won't win and don't expect to, but that's not why I spend my pound. I pay that pound because it allows me to dream. To wonder what my life might be like if I won. I buy into the fantasy despite it not being the logical choice. Maybe we aren't so different, ClockTower and I?

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
its kind of funny, you call "disc earth thoerists" outcasts,
but at the same time bring a hate filled attack on the fine people of NASA and other space agenices.
this is a very hurtful and unneccesary attack, and against all that this fine society calls for.

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »

They're not.

It doesn't.
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »

It doesn't.

I have to agree with zarg. You can pretty much point to many significant events in history that shows the skeptics 'winning.' For instance, the Protestant Reformation. I can't really classify that as 'blind belief' winning out over Luther and the changes he caused.
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
Thomas was a skeptic and 2,000 years of Christian tradition has cast him in a negative light and brand him a outcast. It's tradition to outcast skeptics.

iWitness

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »

You can go talk about your conspiracy theories in Random Musings or Angry Ranting. This is the place for subjects related to a Flat Earth.

If you didn't notice this thread is about Skeptics of mainstream popular belief being outcasts. This very forum is about the earth being flat which goes against mainstream popular belief. The government tells us the world is a sphere. The government tells us Magic Bullet theory. People trust the government. Conspiracy theorists are skeptics thus labeled outcasts. Just like you are labeling me an outcast conspiracy theorist.

Please see the late Bill Hicks video on JFK:

Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »

If you didn't notice this thread is about Skeptics of mainstream popular belief being outcasts. This very forum is about the earth being flat which goes against mainstream popular belief. The government tells us the world is a sphere. The government tells us Magic Bullet theory. People trust the government. Conspiracy theorists are skeptics thus labeled outcasts. Just like you are labeling me an outcast conspiracy theorist.

Please see the late Bill Hicks video on JFK:

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

There are plenty of skeptics out there testing what we are told:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_bullet_theory#Discovery_Channel.27s_reenactment_of_bullet_CE_399.27s_path
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:26:45 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

iWitness

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
Yes and some of them just so happen to own large media networks and can voice their opinions to large amounts of people whereas others are stuck protesting, handing out fliers and talking on the internet.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
Yes and some of them just so happen to own large media networks and can voice their opinions to large amounts of people whereas others are stuck protesting, handing out fliers and talking on the internet.
Not at all. There's plenty of outlets for new, well-documented ideas. If you'd do the math, understand the physics, and provide convincing evidence of  any new idea, fringe or not, your discovery would go viral. Heck, even people who think they've found something, but aren't sure, go viral. For example: http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012/01/if-them-neutrinos-are-faster-than-light-physicists-have-a-lot-of-work-to-do.ars
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

?

trig

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »
The government tells us the world is a sphere.
And exactly which government is that? The Greeks' government of the time of Eratosthenes? Every government since there has been exploration of far away lands? Every government that has either made or permitted the free distribution of maps and star charts? Every government which has bought or constructed satellites?

Your "government" is really a myriad governments that span more than 2000 years and every continent. Did the US government lie about one specific assassination? For argument's sake lets say they did. Did every government since the Greeks successfully lie about anything? Even the question is stupid. And the best part of it is that everyone can do their own experiments, of which several have been posted in this forum, in the privacy of their own homes and without the interference of any governments,

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:43 AM »
I am glad there are people willing to challenge the official story. Pick your conspiracy theory, I am glad they exist. I don't accept RET because it is what everyone else believes either. However, I remain skeptical of FET, and from examining evidence, I conclude for myself that RET is a better model.
I think that if you were actually a skeptic, Tom, you would challenge the FET the same way you challenge the RET. If you were an actual skeptic you wouldn't believe FET. But, you don't hold a consistent criteria of evidence, and you give special exceptions to FET when it fails to match reality.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:18:02 PM by AnonConda »

?

trig

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 05:04:59 AM »
I think that if you were actually a skeptic, Tom, you would challenge the FET the same way you challenge the RET. If you were an actual skeptic you wouldn't believe FET. But, you don't hold a consistent criteria of evidence, and you give special exceptions to FET when it fails to match reality.
I think you have it just right. Being a "conspiracy theorist" has less to do with considering the possibility of a far-fetched hypothesis being right, it has to do with accepting the alternative hypothesis without analysis.

For example, Tom Bishop says he has done all the experiments in ENAG but has not, says that he can see people with a 4.5 inch telescope at 50 km but has never even tried, says he has a telescope but shows the same ignorance of everyone who has never seen through one. We should applaud his eagerness to consider alternative explanations, but when it comes to actually look at all competing theories with a critical eye he just declares one side to be right and the other to be wrong without doing a simple experiment, and what is worse, lying about it.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 05:24:15 AM »
Am I the only one who read the first paragraph and was thinking werewolf game?

Also your question Tom is so loosely worded it can not be answered.  Clearly define skeptic and outcasts while also presenting at what point(s) skeptics are considered outcasts and I will try tell you why it is so.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »
I loved the film 'The mist'. The bit at the end when the guy gets out of his car and sees the military and wails "Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!" whilst Lisa Gerrard is is also wailing Noooooo! Nooooo!!! Noooooo! in the music with all the irony and ... well watch for yourself if you haven't seen it. Its awesome.

I sometimes buy a lottery ticket. The odds are 14 million to 1. I know I won't win

Sentence in red is incompatible with sentence in green. Lrn2probability.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 04:40:06 AM »
Why do you say that the odds of winning the lottery are 14 million to one? Could it be that you just took someone's word for it? You have done exactly what you accuse others of: accepting what the "authorities" say. I seriously doubt you have done the mathematics.

?

Thork

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 04:52:49 AM »
Why do you say that the odds of winning the lottery are 14 million to one? Could it be that you just took someone's word for it? You have done exactly what you accuse others of: accepting what the "authorities" say. I seriously doubt you have done the mathematics.
With a name like "mathsman" you've really let yourself down with your first post.

There are 49 balls in the UK national lottery. You need to pick 6. They need to be the 6 that are drawn from machine.

For the first ball you have 49 balls but 6 chances one of your choices will be pulled. 49/6. For the next there are 48 balls left but you only have 5 so the odds of that ball are 48/5 and so on for 6 balls.

(49/6) * (48/5) * (47/4) * (46/3) * (45/2) * (44/1) = 13,983,816 to 1 or ~ 14 million to 1

If you doubt my maths, use an on-line calculator like this one to double check.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:55:47 AM by Thork »

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
With a name like "mathsman" you've really let yourself down with your first post.

There are 49 balls in the UK national lottery. You need to pick 6. They need to be the 6 that are drawn from machine.

For the first ball you have 49 balls but 6 chances one of your choices will be pulled. 49/6. For the next there are 48 balls left but you only have 5 so the odds of that ball are 48/5 and so on for 6 balls.

(49/6) * (48/5) * (47/4) * (46/3) * (45/2) * (44/1) = 13,983,816 to 1 or ~ 14 million to 1

If you doubt my maths, use an on-line calculator like this one to double check.

I stand corrected. Well done.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
I'm back. Time to feed the heroic trolls again. I salute your determination, flat-earth proponents. Well sort of, I also feel sad at the waste of a life.

We're not the ones supporting fantastic ideas like NASA can send men to the moon, robots to mars, and space ships to explore the solar system. You are. Those science fiction claims are extraordinary and absurd.

You're quite right in that they are 'extraordinary' - they are not everyday events after all. A tsunami devastating a highly urbanised coastline last year was extraordinary. But also plainly evident. 'Absurdity' is a very subjective term. Things only seem normal to us if we repeatedly experience them, or are taught of their mechanics in a way which is understandable and plausible. If we were babies and raised in a world where insects (let's say) were smarter than us and composed symphonies and great works of art - it would not seem absurd.

Even in our own world, plenty can seem absurd - especially in the world of the very small (quantum mechanics) and the very big (relativity, time speeding up and slowing down). However, despite the absurdity of some of these ideas - they have been put to rigorous test and confirmed by third parties the world over. Just because something seems absurd, or queer, or impossible, does not mean it cannot be true. We are creatures of the 'middle world' where we have both an innate and learned understanding of the forces which govern our everyday lives. This is why the very small and the very big seem absurd - they operate by rules which are not apparent in our middle world.

When you are a baby or toddler, neither a flat-earth model nor a round-earth would seem any more absurd than each other, or indeed an Earth shaped like a spoon - if you were indeed told that.

You are blindly believing in things which cannot be confirmed by an unconnected third party. You are putting your faith in government, which on other subjects, you will do a 180o turn and almost universally call them liars and corrupt.

Before I continue down this line of debate - I presume you believe all national governments (or blocks, such as the EU) who have space agencies, these space agencies, their subsidiaries, the scientists who work with their data and publish papers, the other scientists who review these papers, the organisations that these scientists belong to, the journalists who publish this data, and the consumers of this data are all not in any way third parties to each other? They are one monolithic entity, of sole mind that the nature of the Earth must be suppressed? I'm not being sarcastic here. This is a genuine question before I continue.

I think you sully the idea of a 'skeptic'. Being a skeptic is not questioning every single claim put before you. You would spend every single minute from the day you are born investigating every phenomenon first-hand, as ultimately you are distrustful of second-hand evidence. Questioning every single claim put before you is the beginning of skepticism, in a historical sense. It is the beginnings of the enlightenment, when argument from authority, holy scripture or tradition was discounted and phenomena were questioned anew.

With the progression of the natural sciences, one does not need to keep going back to the beginning over and over again. Science generally advances through the disproof of hypotheses, as 'proofs' are only valid in mathematics. There is theoretically always another explanation for a phenomenon, however, over the course of hundreds of years of scientific enquiry, more and more are gradually ruled out, to the point where the probability for a phenomenon being attributed to a certain cause or process approaches 100%. It never reaches 100%, but is so close that it might as well be considered so.

Skeptics are not outcasts, they are the foundation for modernity, for an escape from religious and superstitious thinking, they are the bringers of the scientific method to the discourse-table. True skeptics are the mainstream, the bread and butter of modern civilisation. True believers (a devout belief in a cause, in absence of evidence) are the outcasts today. I do not think flat-Earthers are skeptics (in fact I think they're all trolls, but I continue to debate because I like testing my mind), but rather display a brand of extreme cynycism.

I like this recent post by a self-identified skeptic on skepticism vs. cynicism: http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/skepticism-vs-cynicism/

In particular it covers government conspiracies but its arguments are applicable to any set of claims. A quote from it:

The skeptical point of view is not to just assume the maximally cynical point of view. The skeptical approach is to evaluate the evidence and the plausibility of various hypotheses.

So, in short, skeptics aren't outcasts, they are the exact opposite. And flat-Earthers aren't skeptics anyway. Well, I know, they don't exist, they're all trolls, but if they did exist they couldn't be classed as skeptics.

Ok while I'm here I might as well have shots at this troll too:

Tom's point is shrewd.

No it's not. See above.

How is it people like ClockTower will readily believe anything the 'authorities' tell him about science but believe what he chooses about politics or religion and make his own mind up?

'The authorities' don't tell anyone about science. The authorities are informed by scientists. And scientists work can be reviewed and tested by any other scientist who has the appropriate skills, or any interested member of the public who has these skills. Science is not subjective, politics and religion are. That's why someone can have any opinion they like about the latter two. Politics and religion are not easily testable, although I am a proponent of evidence-based politics. Unfortunately not many politicians are.

Oh yeah and before I stop typing I thought I should bump this topic: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49864.0  -  no convincing counter-arguments have been made to the OP. I encourage any claimed flat-Earth 'skeptics' to cast their skeptical eye over it once more, and come back with a reasoned answer.

Cheers.

?

Thork

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:25 AM »
I also think the earth is flat. You might have more luck trying to shoot holes in that. :P

Oh and welcome to the Flat Earth Society. :)

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11:49 AM »
I also think the earth is flat.

Quote from: Thork on September 28, 2010, 07:01:30 PM
I've outted myself as a troll and ultimately a bad one.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »

TK why can't you find a boyfriend? I don't think Thork is interested.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 05:47:38 AM »

TK why can't you find a boyfriend? I don't think Thork is interested.

No, but I'm sure all the newbies who take his words at face value are very interested indeed.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 05:58:27 AM »
Do you honestly think this forum would be as interesting/entertaining, if every new person assumed Thork and others were simply trolls? Think it all through, and quit broadcasting your pointless vendetta.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
quit broadcasting your pointless vendetta.

Are you a moderator? I respond to moderators.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »
I respond to moderators.

Good. Please stop making off-topic posts (like the one above) in the upper boards. Consider this a warning.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord