It's 2015 and you aren't even close to owning a Spaceship

• 4284 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: It's 2015 and you aren't even close to owning a Spaceship
« Reply #2820 on: August 27, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »
lol, markjo.  This cookie sheet is not exactly glowing hot, now is it?  ::)

Not in the visible spectrum, but I'm willing to guess that it would glow quite nicely in the infrared range.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #2821 on: August 27, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »
If you can see light, then it is not insulating radiant energy, now is it?  Oven mitts block conductive, radiant, and to an extent, convective energy transfer.  Hold a flashlight up to an oven mitt and you will not see very much light penetrating it, because mitt is blocking it. 

Do you people even know what radiant energy is?  I feel like I am speaking to a class room full of 1st graders, or paid disinformation agents.

Are the corners of the cubes glowing?  No they are not.

No, but their hand is just inches away from parts that are glowing.  Please, just stop it.  You are making your side sound dumb.  I thought you liked science?
The fibers don't transfer heat well (Conduction) and the fibers have plenty of air in between to stop convection. So no, it's not a problem at all.

You just skipped over the radiant part, didn't you?  Once again, if you can see light, then energy is radiating quite easily.

How hot is red light? And no, the sides aren't glowing anymore.

According to this chart, the color temperature of the sides is around 2000K, sokarul.  ::)

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #2822 on: August 27, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
If you can see light, then it is not insulating radiant energy, now is it?  Oven mitts block conductive, radiant, and to an extent, convective energy transfer.  Hold a flashlight up to an oven mitt and you will not see very much light penetrating it, because mitt is blocking it. 

Do you people even know what radiant energy is?  I feel like I am speaking to a class room full of 1st graders, or paid disinformation agents.

Are the corners of the cubes glowing?  No they are not.

No, but their hand is just inches away from parts that are glowing.  Please, just stop it.  You are making your side sound dumb.  I thought you liked science?
The fibers don't transfer heat well (Conduction) and the fibers have plenty of air in between to stop convection. So no, it's not a problem at all.

You just skipped over the radiant part, didn't you?  Once again, if you can see light, then energy is radiating quite easily.

How hot is red light? And no, the sides aren't glowing anymore.

According to this chart, the color temperature of the sides is around 2000K, sokarul.  ::)

I asked what the temperature of red was, not what temperature it's emitted from in an LED.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2823 on: August 27, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
lol, markjo.  This cookie sheet is not exactly glowing hot, now is it?  ::)

Not in the visible spectrum, but I'm willing to guess that it would glow quite nicely in the infrared range.

Yes, markjo, I am sure that the amount of infrared light emitted by the 125 degree C cookie sheet is anywhere close to the amount of IR light emitted by the 2000 degree C tile, lol. 

Are you going to show us pictures of monkeys next?  ???  I think you need to lay off the sauce, if you know what I mean.  ::)

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2824 on: August 27, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
I asked what the temperature of red was, not what temperature it's emitted from in an LED.

lol, you asked a nonsensical question, so I gave a nonsensical answer.  The temperature of the LED is not really 2000k.  That is the color temperature of it.  Please, learn a little about the science of light and then come back to talk to the big kids. 

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #2825 on: August 27, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »

lol, you asked a nonsensical question, so I gave a nonsensical answer.  The temperature of the LED is not really 2000k.  That is the color temperature of it.  Please, learn a little about the science of light and then come back to talk to the big kids.
I ask an nonsensical question because your rebuttal was wrong. You claimed that the red light next to someone's finger when picking up the cube mattered. I showed that it did not.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2826 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »

I ask an nonsensical question because your rebuttal was wrong. You claimed that the red light next to someone's finger when picking up the cube mattered. I showed that it did not.

I said if something that is that temperature is emitting that much visible light, then it is also emitting a lot of IR light.  In other words, there would be a lot of radiant energy being emitted.  Are you ever going to learn to read? 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2827 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »

I said if something that is that temperature is emitting that much visible light, then it is also emitting a lot of IR light.  In other words, there would be a lot of radiant energy being emitted.  Are you ever going to learn to read?

So what if there is a lot of IR light being radiated? It's not like it's going to burn their hands. If you think otherwise, you have to prove it.

I have managed to get a hot enough campfire to make the grating glow red from the heat. And no one got burned by the light. Heck, a light bulb glows way stronger than that cube, yet it doesn't grill the people that is in it's light.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #2828 on: August 27, 2015, 09:55:01 PM »
Here's the video again: note that the alleged 2200C of the cubes is around 2000C hotter than a baking tray...

That's a LOT!

& the carny in the video says the cubes dissipate heat VERY FAST...

Dissipate WHERE, exactly?

Not into the tourist's fingers, somehow, impossibly...

Cos NASA's Imagineers would never let you get hurt, suckers.

Savour the Fraud, cultists!

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2829 on: August 27, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
Here's the video again: note that the alleged 2200C of the cubes is around 2000C hotter than a baking tray...

That's a LOT!

Heat is dissipated into the air.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #2830 on: August 27, 2015, 10:00:05 PM »

Not everything that's red hot will burn you when your hand gets close to it, even if that thing is highly conductive unlike the tiles.  Learn to use that thing filling the cavity in your head, assuming it's there of course.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2831 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:35 PM »

So what if there is a lot of IR light being radiated? It's not like it's going to burn their hands. If you think otherwise, you have to prove it.

I have managed to get a hot enough campfire to make the grating glow red from the heat. And no one got burned by the light. Heck, a light bulb glows way stronger than that cube, yet it doesn't grill the people that is in it's light.

Did your drunk friends have their hands inches away from the fire?  No, because they would have gotten burnt.  Oh, and do you really expect us to believe that the campfire was 2200C?  OK, next anecdote or straw man distraction excuse please.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #2832 on: August 27, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »

That's a LOT!

So heat will dissipate into Air, but will not dissipate into Human Fingers?

Oookay...

More Voodoo Physics, Master_b8r?

Or are you just blotto again?

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2833 on: August 27, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »

Did your drunk friends have their hands inches away from the fire?  No, because they would have gotten burnt.  Oh, and do you really expect us to believe that the campfire was 2200C?  OK, next anecdote or straw man distraction excuse please.

I never stated that the campfire was 2200C. Are you hallucinating? That would explain a lot about you.
And I had my fingers inches away from the fire, since I was in charge of the fire. Thee fire had to be as hot as possible since we were cooking a lot of food, and used a giant pot with filled with lot's of water and food. Therefore I kept managing the fire almost all the time to make it as hot and efficient as possible. And I can say I didn't get burned.

When in doubt; sources!

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2834 on: August 27, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »

That's a LOT!

Oookay...

After a few seconds the corners have no more heat to dissipate, so there is not heat to dissipate into the fingers of the visitors. Too much for your brain to understand?

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2835 on: August 27, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »

Not everything that's red hot will burn you when your hand gets close to it, even if that thing is highly conductive unlike the tiles.  Learn to use that thing filling the cavity in your head, assuming it's there of course.

Apparently, you do not even understand how a toaster works. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2836 on: August 27, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »

That's a LOT!

Oookay...

After a few seconds the corners have no more heat to dissipate, so there is not heat to dissipate into the fingers of the visitors. Too much for your brain to understand?

The heat dissipates after a few seconds, yet the glowing part does not dissipate heat?  lol, you people are really getting desperate for excuses now. 

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #2837 on: August 27, 2015, 10:42:36 PM »
Come on; let's laugh at the incriminating video again!

Those magical cubes & their Alice in Wonderland physics are a veritable Fistful of Fail...

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2838 on: August 27, 2015, 11:14:21 PM »

That's a LOT!

Oookay...

The heat dissipates after a few seconds, yet the glowing part does not dissipate heat?  lol, you people are really getting desperate for excuses now.

That is what we have been telling you over and over and over and over and over [...] again. You didn't understand until now? You're really slow.

The inside can't dissipate the to the air. That's why it takes so much time. Again. And again. Have we told you this.

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2839 on: August 27, 2015, 11:27:35 PM »

That's a LOT!

Oookay...

That is what we have been telling you over and over and over and over and over [...] again. You didn't understand until now? You're really slow.

The inside can't dissipate the to the air. That's why it takes so much time. Again. And again. Have we told you this.

So, hear we go full circle.  You claim it is not dissipating heat, yet it is radiating energy?  Are you really this dumb, or is this just an act, like your shtick or something? 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2840 on: August 27, 2015, 11:34:31 PM »

That's a LOT!

Oookay...

So, hear we go full circle.  You claim it is not dissipating heat, yet it is radiating energy?  Are you really this dumb, or is this just an act, like your shtick or something?

You are stupid that doesn't understand this yet. On the outside there is a flowing air current, heated air flows away and cold air moves in, get's heated up and flows away. On the inside of the cube, the air is still, it has nowhere to move. Air is really bad at dissipating heat, and if it can't flow away to leave space for cold air then the cooling is going to be really slow.

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2841 on: August 28, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »

That's a LOT!

Oookay...

You are stupid that doesn't understand this yet. On the outside there is a flowing air current, heated air flows away and cold air moves in, get's heated up and flows away. On the inside of the cube, the air is still, it has nowhere to move. Air is really bad at dissipating heat, and if it can't flow away to leave space for cold air then the cooling is going to be really slow.

You are describing convection heat transfer when the discussion is about the radiant energy emitting from the tile.  You are as dumb as markjo, who kept going on about conduction.  I see now that knowing about thermodynamics and physics is not a prerequisite for be an RE'er. 

« Reply #2842 on: August 28, 2015, 12:04:59 AM »
And we come back to explaining heat flow and gradients and methods of heat transfer.

Ok. The edges of the cube are able to disapate heat to the surrounding through conduction, convection and radiation. Conduction will be poor as air is a bad conductor. Radiation will start high but rapidly drop. Convection will account for a lot of heat transfer, because the air around the cube can flow freely and will rise when heated drawing cooler air which continues the process.

Meanwhile the cube itself has extremely poor heat transfer. The air inside can't move so convection is out. Conduction and radiation are very, very low.

The result is that the edges cool down very quickly as they can shed heat to the external environment but the heat within the cube will travel to the edges very slowly. The heat flow out of the cube is very high initially and drops off rapidly.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:31:20 AM by Mainframes »
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2843 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:42 AM »

That's a LOT!

Oookay...

You are describing convection heat transfer when the discussion is about the radiant energy emitting from the tile.  You are as dumb as markjo, who kept going on about conduction.  I see now that knowing about thermodynamics and physics is not a prerequisite for be an RE'er.

The discussion is about why the visitors don't burn their hands. The IR is not near enough to burn their hands, and the corners have no (considerable) heat to transfer.

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2844 on: August 28, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »
And we come back to explaining heat flow and gradients and methods of heat transfer.

Ok. The edges of the cube are able to disapate heat to the surrounding through conduction, convection and radiation. Conduction will be poor as air is a bad conductor. Radiation will start high but rapidly drop. Convection will account for a lot of heat transfer, because the air around the cube can flow freely and will rise when heated drawing cooler air which continues the process.

Meanwhile the cube itself has extremely poor heat transfer. The air inside can't move so convection is out. Conduction and radiation are very, very low.

The result is that the edges cool down very quickly as they can shed heat to the external environment but the heat within the cube will travel to the edges very slowly. The rat flow out of the cube is very high initially and drops off rapidly.

lol, another RE'er who can't understand that the fact it is glowing means there is a lot of radiant energy emitting from the cube.  Does the light need a conductor or convection currents?  No, it is radiant, just like the IR radiation.  Nice straw man you people keep trying to throw out there, but you are not fooling me with your lack of thermodynamics. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2845 on: August 28, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »

That's a LOT!

Cos NASA's Imagineers would never let you get hurt, suckers..  I am

Oookay...

The discussion is about why the visitors don't burn their hands. The IR is not near enough to burn their hands, and the corners have no (considerable) heat to transfer.

Why does this black smith keep his hand so far away from the glowing part? 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2846 on: August 28, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »

That's a LOT!

Cos NASA's Imagineers would never let you get hurt, suckers..  I am

Oookay...

Because metal is an very good conductor of heat. The metal would be very hot further up the tool.

Why can't I cook food under a lightbulb that glows much brighter?

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2847 on: August 28, 2015, 12:37:27 AM »

Because metal is an very good conductor of heat. The metal would be very hot further up the tool.

If it is such a good conductor, then why is he touching the metal with his bare hand?  Oh, wait, you are talking about conduction again and I am talking about radiation.
Why can't I cook food under a lightbulb that glows much brighter?

Because you do not have an Easy Bake Oven.  ::)

« Reply #2848 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:06 AM »

The result is that the edges cool down very quickly as they can shed heat to the external environment but the heat within the cube will travel to the edges very slowly. The rat flow out of the cube is very high initially and drops off rapidly.

lol, another RE'er who can't understand that the fact it is glowing means there is a lot of radiant energy emitting from the cube.  Does the light need a conductor or convection currents?  No, it is radiant, just like the IR radiation.  Nice straw man you people keep trying to throw out there, but you are not fooling me with your lack of thermodynamics.

No, you've just demonstrated you know nothing about EM radiation. The cube is emitting energy in the form of radiation but a lot of that energy is emitted in the visible light spectrum which can move through the cube easily as it is a mix of silica and air which are both pretty transparent to visible light. IR radiation does not travel easily though the cube and is only emitted from the surface of the cube when that surface is very hot. As the surface cools down it quickly stops emitting IR.

And anyway the fact that an object is emitting light does not mean it would emit heat as LEDs clearly demonstrate.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2849 on: August 28, 2015, 12:46:58 AM »

No, you've just demonstrated you know nothing about EM radiation. The cube is emitting energy in the form of radiation but a lot of that energy is emitted in the visible light spectrum which can move through the cube easily as it is a mix of silica and air which are both pretty transparent to visible light. IR radiation does not travel easily though the cube and is only emitted from the surface of the cube when that surface is very hot. As the surface cools down it quickly stops emitting IR.

And anyway the fact that an object is emitting light does not mean it would emit heat as LEDs clearly demonstrate.

I am sorry, I did not realize that you could tell the amount of visible light compared to the amount of invisible light simply by looking at a video.  You should donate your eyes to science when you die so they can study the human spectrometer and find out how you work.  ::)