It's 2015 and you aren't even close to owning a Spaceship

• 4284 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: It's 2015 and you aren't even close to owning a Spaceship
« Reply #900 on: May 30, 2015, 06:36:02 AM »
Now the question remains, will it work in a vacuum?
No, there's no air for it to use. That's why rockets don't use propellors.
Good point.  Propellers are a lot more efficient than rockets, which is why rocket engines are only used for certain things within the atmosphere.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #901 on: May 30, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
Actually, pound for pound, nothing is more or less efficient. It just appears to be. Obviously it has to be looked at in an overall point of view. I wonder how many will jump in and tell I'm wrong.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #902 on: May 30, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
Actually, pound for pound, nothing is more or less efficient. It just appears to be. Obviously it has to be looked at in an overall point of view. I wonder how many will jump in and tell I'm wrong.
Well, it's kinda hard to say that you're wrong when you're that ambiguous.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #903 on: May 30, 2015, 08:01:12 AM »
Well, it's kinda hard to say that you're wrong when you're that ambiguous.
You don't get more out than what you put in, basically.

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #904 on: May 30, 2015, 08:03:09 AM »
"Efficiency" in movement is usually the "waste" energy being created. Thermal, sound, etc. The less waste energy, the more efficient you are.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #905 on: May 30, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »
"Efficiency" in movement is usually the "waste" energy being created. Thermal, sound, etc. The less waste energy, the more efficient you are.
It depends what you mean by efficient. I'm not talking about monetary efficient. I'm talking about Earthly efficient and by that; it's why I mean that pound for pound with anything, there's no gain or loss in efficiency, as everything is equal. You do not get more out of something than what you put into it. It's impossible when looked at overall.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #906 on: May 30, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
It depends what you mean by efficient. I'm not talking about monetary efficient. I'm talking about Earthly efficient and by that; it's why I mean that pound for pound with anything, there's no gain or loss in efficiency, as everything is equal. You do not get more out of something than what you put into it. It's impossible when looked at overall.

You sound as if you are confusing conservation of energy with efficiency.   
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #907 on: May 30, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
Pound for pound diesel will contain more energy than gasoline. I agree with others, you are talking about something else.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #908 on: May 30, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »

You sound as if you are confusing conservation of energy with efficiency.
I'm not confusing anything. I've told you exactly what I mean.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #909 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »
Pound for pound diesel will contain more energy than gasoline. I agree with others, you are talking about something else.
I'm talking about only getting out of something what you put into it, pound for pound.
I'm not talking about petrol v diesel and what not.

I'm talking about you not being able to get more energy out of something than what you put into it. Pound for pound it's equal.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #910 on: May 30, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
I'm talking about only getting out of something what you put into it, pound for pound.
I'm not talking about petrol v diesel and what not.

I'm talking about you not being able to get more energy out of something than what you put into it. Pound for pound it's equal.
Can you state an example?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #911 on: May 30, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
That's not efficiency. Efficiency is about how much of the right kind of energy you get out. Yes, you'll get the same amount of energy total out, but that's not really relevant: only some of it can be used for the relevant process, so only some of it counts towards efficiency.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #912 on: May 30, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
That isn't efficiency, that's the first law of thermodynamics.

In the case of propellers vs rockets, a propeller driven airplane is more efficient because it can go a lot farther than a rocket driven airplane on the same amount of fuel.  This is why you don't see rocket powered airliners.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #913 on: May 30, 2015, 01:55:16 PM »
To get back to my question, which you all ignored except for markjo, who posted a photo of a pimped-up sail-boat for some bizarre reason:

I have provided solid evidence that a rocket can thrust against an outside mass.

The atmosphere has mass.

Ergo a rocket can thrust against the atmosphere.

Now; please provide similar evidence for your & NASA's claim that a ROCKET (NOT a boat, markjo!) pushes, not on the atmosphere, but ONLY ON ITSELF.

I'm waiting...
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #914 on: May 30, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »
I would like to see the proof that rockets will even ignite higher than 200,000 feet.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #915 on: May 30, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
If space was truly a vacuum, as soon as the valves opened to feed the fuel and oxidizers to the combustion chamber, all the liquid would get sucked out into the 'vacuum' of space.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

« Reply #916 on: May 30, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »
I would like to see the proof that rockets will even ignite higher than 200,000 feet.
watch any rocket flight then

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #917 on: May 30, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
iWitness: I'd say it depends on what type of rocket is used & how low the atmospheric pressure is at 200,000 feet.

Hypergolic liquid-fuelled rockets should be able to function, though whether they'd create useful thrust is open to question.

The same goes for most types of modern solid-fuel rockets.

Non-hypergolic liquid-fuelled rockets are another matter, but as they are mainly fantasy items I'd not bother too much with them.

There is a chance that Free Expansion would occur, or even that the fuel tanks would explode, if atmospheric pressure was low enough though.

Now: does anyone have solid, real-world evidence that NASA's rockets work as they claim, by 'pushing on themselves'?

You know, the phrase 'pushing on themselves' is so laughable when thought about logically that I'll use it a lot from now, until the absurdity of it sinks in...

By the same logic, I should be able to grab myself by my ear & simply lift myself up to space!

Sadly, I can't... so Zero evidence for the space-cultist's model so far eh?

Pythagoras: if you cannot work out that most 'space-rocket' launches are either completely sfx, or that the rocket trajectory reaches apogee at an altitude far too low for it to achieve orbit, then you are out of your depth here.

Go learn how these things work, then return.

Or just remove your space-horns & enter the door marked 'Freedom'...

« Reply #918 on: May 30, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
Il make the decision on me being in or out of my depth thank you very much. Have you ever seen a rocket launch in person just out of curiosity?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #919 on: May 30, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
Fine; you make that decision. Good for you.

But I'll make the decision on whether you've provided similar evidence for NASA's rocketry model that I have for mine.

& I've decided that you have NOT.

So off you go & find some; you won't get it at one of their rocket launches though, much as you may wish it so..

« Reply #920 on: May 30, 2015, 03:34:29 PM »
Have you ever watched a launch in person?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #921 on: May 30, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
Papa Legba, what do you expect would happen if a light object and a heavy object were to push away from each other in a zero G vacuum like space?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #922 on: May 30, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
You speak of TWO objects pushing on each other.

But a rocket is ONE object.

What, then, is the SECOND object against which the rocket pushes?

Oh dear! Painted yourself into a corner here, haven't you?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #923 on: May 30, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »
You speak of TWO objects pushing on each other.

But a rocket is ONE object.

What, then, is the SECOND object against which the rocket pushes?

Oh dear! Painted yourself into a corner here, haven't you?

The second object is the exhaust.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #924 on: May 30, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
So: the exhaust somehow detaches itself, turns round to face back at the rocket, then pushes on it?

What are you trying to say here?

ausGeoff

« Reply #925 on: May 30, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
So: the exhaust somehow detaches itself, turns round to face back at the rocket, then pushes on it?

It's interesting (and embarrassing) that—like many flat earthers—you seem to have no idea at all as to the forces acting on a rocket.

Rocket thrust is caused by pressures acting
on both the combustion chamber and nozzle

The mistake that you all make is erroneously assuming that the rocket's exhaust has to "push" against something—such as air.  This is easily disproved by the fact that rockets work in the (near) vacuum of space.

« Reply #926 on: May 30, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »
I'll take that as a 'no' from Falseprophet too.

Two down; next?

Strange how so many people believe in all this space-malarkey & are willing to call everyone who doubts it 'crackpots', yet none of them have any first-hand experience of it whatsoever.

Just pure belief.

Comes across kinda like a Religion to me...

Why is evidence "pure belief"?  Do you feel the same about everything you have not witnessed first hand?
No ,but I dont go round premoting hear say ether . If I haven't personally experienced it ,then it remains hear say until verifiable by my reasoning not simply more hear say .
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #927 on: May 30, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »
To get back to my question, which you all ignored except for markjo, who posted a photo of a pimped-up sail-boat for some bizarre reason:

I have provided solid evidence that a rocket can thrust against an outside mass.

The atmosphere has mass.

Ergo a rocket can thrust against the atmosphere.

Now; please provide similar evidence for your & NASA's claim that a ROCKET (NOT a boat, markjo!) pushes, not on the atmosphere, but ONLY ON ITSELF.

I'm waiting...
If was standing behind a rocket, which way would the back blast push me? Towards the rocket or away from the rocket?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #928 on: May 30, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
Ausgeoff: Nice drawing.

Shame it proves nothing.

Also a shame that you are yet another entity who cannot distinguish between Words & Reality.

I demonstrated, through the back-blast of man-portable rockets, clear evidence that a rocket exhaust will thrust against a mass placed behind it.

The atmosphere has mass.

Ergo, rockets can push on the atmosphere.

There are many videos available of just such an occurrence, & every person with any military knowledge or experience reading this thread will know that what I say is true.

Now: please provide similar evidence of a rocket 'pushing on itself'.

Not drawings & pompous bluster; not boats with fans on the back; not false analogies...

CLEAR, DEMONSTRABLE EVIDENCE THAT ROCKETS PUSH ONLY ON THEMSELVES.

« Reply #929 on: May 30, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »

It's interesting (and embarrassing) that—like many flat earthers—you seem to have no idea at all as to the forces acting on a rocket.

Rocket thrust is caused by pressures acting
on both the combustion chamber and nozzle

The mistake that you all make is erroneously assuming that the rocket's exhaust has to "push" against something—such as air.  This is easily disproved by the fact that rockets work in the (near) vacuum of space.
No your making the assumption thats whats assumed. The rocket propels its self by displacing matter .  http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/Images/newton3r.gif
Wrong
For every action , there is an equally & opposite reaction ,applied to the point of equlibreum.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:28:51 PM by charles bloomington »
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…: