Modern flat earth theory is a psyop.

• 71 Replies

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
Modern flat earth theory is a psyop.
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
Flat Earth Conspiracy DEBUNKED Scam to Distract from the True conspiracy theories. You can test this yourself, without having to go to outer space. This theory is a distraction from the most serious and consequential issues on planet earth today. The earth is not flat.

BOTD member

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
Re: Modern flat earth theory is a psyop.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:44:15 PM »
Bread and circus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

"Bread and circuses" (or bread and games; from Latin: panem et circenses) is metonymic for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the generation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion; distraction; or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace,[1] as an offered "palliative". Juvenal, who originated the phrase, used it to decry the selfishness of common people and their neglect of wider concerns.[2][3][4] The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the commoner.[5]
BOTD member

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

Tessa Yuri

• The shortest distance between two points is a lie.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »
Flat Earth Conspiracy DEBUNKED Scam to Distract from the True conspiracy theories. You can test this yourself, without having to go to outer space. This theory is a distraction from the most serious and consequential issues on planet earth today. The earth is not flat.

The 'disappearing from the bottom up' is one of the oldest rebuttals against FE and has been disproven many times in many ways. This doesn't debunk FE.

I can believe in FE and in other conspiracies. My capacity for conspiracy isn't even filled at all by FE, since I don't believe it is a conspiracy.
Tessa believes in the scientific method.
Yuri believes the Earth is a flat disk.
     _________              _________         _________
.<`X######I---I|    |I[][][][][][][][]I|     |I[][][][][][][][]I|
-=o--o====o--o=-=o-o====o-o=-=o-o====o-o=

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 08:07:19 PM »
The 'disappearing from the bottom up' is one of the oldest rebuttals against FE and has been disproven many times in many ways. This doesn't debunk FE.
You mean one of the oldest proofs for a RE.
I am yet to see it be honestly debunked.
Instead FEers will often use very distant horizons and small objects to say things disappear from view by appearing to small and then using telescopes or zoom lenses to bring it back into view.
I am yet to see them show an example of something disappearing over the horizon, disappearing from the bottom up (as everything large enough does) and then magically being brought back into view.

The best they can come up with is magic bendy light or blatant lies about perspective, such as conman Row Boat pretending the curvature of Earth is really just magic perspective, using observations from Earth along with a baseless claim that Earth is flat to claim perspective makes the bottom of objects disappear, and thus it doesn't show Earth is round.

If you think it has been refuted, feel free to provide an example.

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »

My explanation for why a boat goes down bottom-first over the horizon is because it is behaving as it should on the surface of something which has the properties of a sphere.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »

My explanation for why a boat goes down bottom-first over the horizon is because it is behaving as it should on the surface of something which has the properties of a sphere.

Maybe like a sphere?
BOTD member

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »

Maybe like a sphere?

Yes, a sphere would be one example.

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »
High sea waves cannot be seen by those wearing rayban ~
TRY: (Curved Grided) South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map and Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:34 PM »
i.e. because Earth is not flat.
As such, this does not refute the argument against Earth being flat.
Ships disappearing over the horizon remains a disproof of a flat Earth.

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »

A finite sector of a sufficiently large circle has the properties of a straight line. Is it a straight line?
A red apple has some of the properties of a cardboard cutout of a red apple. Is it a cardboard cutout of a red apple?
A cylinder has the same Gaussian properties as a flat sheet. Is it a flat sheet?

Just because the Earth shares some properties with a round Earth doesn't mean it is one.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
A finite sector of a sufficiently large circle has the properties of a straight line. Is it a straight line?
No. It approximates the properties of a straight line.
In order for it to actually have the properties of a straight line it would need to have an infinite radius, i.e. a curvature of 1/infinity, i.e. 0. In that case it is a straight line, not a circle.

A straight line is the limit of a circle as its radius tends to infinity.

A cylinder has the same Gaussian properties as a flat sheet. Is it a flat sheet?
In the mathematical sense, yes, it is flat as it has 0 Gaussian curvature.

Just because the Earth shares some properties with a round Earth doesn't mean it is one.
But as you needed to appeal to the specific properties which mean it is round, it does.

You didn't appeal to it having water, or it having land or anything like that.
You appealed to it being spherical.

That means it is not flat.

Not even non-Euclidean geometry can save you here.

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »
But as you needed to appeal to the specific properties which mean it is round, it does.

So if I say a cardboard cutout of an apple is red just like an apple, since I'm appealing to the specific properties of an apple, my cardboard cutout is magically an apple?

I appealed to it behaving in some ways like it is spherical.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »

A red apple has some of the properties of a cardboard cutout of a red apple. Is it a cardboard cutout of a red apple?

What if your apple is an orange?

Can you explain my haunted keyboard?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:54:04 PM by Lonegranger »

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 11:44:23 PM »
Soooo basically, you know the earth is flat but behaves like a sphere but is flat because you know it is flat even though it has the properties of a sphere.

Am I right so far?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 11:54:47 PM »

So if I say a cardboard cutout of an apple is red just like an apple, since I'm appealing to the specific properties of an apple, my cardboard cutout is magically an apple?

Reread what you wrote.
Then ask yourself: 'On a scale from 1 to 10, how dumb am I?'
Then act accordingly (meaning: better keep quiet and read a physics book).
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 11:57:52 PM »
Soooo basically, you know the earth is flat but behaves like a sphere but is flat because you know it is flat even though it has the properties of a sphere.

Am I right so far?

That's a pretty accurate summation of it, honestly.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 11:58:40 PM »

Actually, the Earth shares all the properties of a round Earth.

Point out one that it doesn't.

High sea waves cannot be seen by those wearing rayban ~
The thing about high sea waves is that they're caused by high winds or other inclement weather (or, you know, tsunamis from earthquakes, but pretty sure they aren't too common).  On a clear, calm day, where you can see the water is smooth, boats still disappear over the horizon.

Here's a good image of a yacht race, where the competitors are hull-down over the horizon.  Smooth ocean, no big waves. but all you can see is sails.
http://northbeachinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/200.jpg

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 12:02:52 AM »

I'm more than happy to. If you want, I'd be eager to discuss this with you in another thread with that topic, rather than derailing this one. Would you like me to create the thread, or shall you?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »

I'm more than happy to. If you want, I'd be eager to discuss this with you in another thread with that topic, rather than derailing this one. Would you like me to create the thread, or shall you?
You do it. Then post a link to it here, please.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 12:41:33 AM »

There you go ignoring what I said.
Notice how in that example you are appealing to the red, the colour.
In the example for the horizon you appealed to the curve.
If it didn't need to be curved, why say spherical?

If it was other properties of a round Earth, other than it being round, you wouldn't have appealed to round.
But you didn't even appeal to it sharing properties with a round Earth.
You appealed to it having properties of a spherical surface, i.e. a round surface.

You are saying Earth has the properties of a sphere.
That means it is round.

If you don't think that, just what property are you referring to?
Especially as the one which explains why objects drop below the horizon in all directions is the curvature.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 12:44:29 AM »

Thread created here.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 05:20:26 AM »

You realize the color red is not an inherent, exclusive property of apples right?  The correct analogy would be more like the cardboard cutout having the taste and texture of an apple.  You don't happen to have a cardboard cutout of an apple that tastes and feels like an apple do you? 

Claiming the Earth is flat, but has the properties of a sphere when necessary is basically like handing someone an apple and telling them it is actually cardboard, but has all the taste, feel, and nutrition of an apple, and is physically indistinguishable from an actual apple.  In other words, it's an apple and you're engaging in a pointless metaphysical exercise that doesn't have any bearing on reality.

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 05:24:24 AM »

You realize the color red is not an inherent, exclusive property of apples right?

Nor is curvature an exclusive property of spheres.

Claiming the Earth is flat, but has the properties of a sphere when necessary is basically like handing someone an apple and telling them it is actually cardboard, but has all the taste, feel, and nutrition of an apple, and is physically indistinguishable from an actual apple.  In other words, it's an apple and you're engaging in a pointless metaphysical exercise that doesn't have any bearing on reality.

Unless the scientific evidence suggests it could be an apple, but equally it could be cardboard, in which case I'd choose to believe it was cardboard because handing someone a cardboard apple to eat is hilarious.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 05:37:55 AM »

You realize the color red is not an inherent, exclusive property of apples right?

Unless the scientific evidence suggests it could be an apple, but equally it could be cardboard, in which case I'd choose to believe it was cardboard because handing someone a cardboard apple to eat is hilarious.
If you look at an apple from some distance, let's say 50cm, does it look like an apple?

Edit: What shape do you suggest for the earth?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 05:41:41 AM »
If you look at an apple from some distance, let's say 50cm, does it look like an apple?

Well, I can never be 100% sure I'm even looking at an apple in the first place. I could be living in a computer simulation.

But yes, it does look like an apple to me.

EDIT: Flat
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:09:16 AM by Tessa Yuri »

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 06:07:06 AM »
But what if it looks like a cake, but isn't?

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 06:09:44 AM »

It is when the set of possibilities is reduced to planes and spheres, like say in an argument about whether the Earth is flat or spherical.

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 06:11:42 AM »

It is when the set of possibilities is reduced to planes and spheres, like say in an argument about whether the Earth is flat or spherical.

Just like how the colour red is an exclusive property of apples when the set of possibilities is reduced to apples and cardboard apples, like say in an argument about whether I'm eating an apple or a cardboard apple.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:25 AM »
What shape do you suggest for the earth?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 06:17:27 AM »
What shape do you suggest for the earth?
Flat.