Industrial flat glass, needs a flat earth

• 606 Replies
?

Thork

Industrial flat glass, needs a flat earth
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
I'll come out with it. I'm pro-flat earth. However I would like to know how the round-earthers explain the manufacture of industrial flat glass, using the float process?

http://www.britglass.org.uk/Files/form2Float_Process.pdf
Let me draw your attention to page 5, Stage 5 Inspection.
"The float process is renowned for making perfectly flat, flaw-free glass"

If the earth is round, how do you make a perfectly flat flaw-free piece of glass using a "mirror-like surface of molten tin" , especially when "A float line can be nearly half a kilometre long.". Surely a round earth would put a curve in the glass and it would not be "Perfectly flat, flaw-free glass".

Look at the lengths these guys go to to get flat glass. 100 million inspection measurements a second! Surely they would work out all their glass curved? Unless the earth was flat of course.

Some quick maths ...
1 mile = 1.609344 km
Suppose that the earth is a sphere of radius 3963 miles as claimed. If you are at a point P on the earth's surface and move tangent to the surface a distance of 1 mile then you can form a right angled triangel as in the diagram. Using the theorem of Pythagoras a2 = 39632 + 12 = 15705370 and thus a = 3963.000126 miles. Thus your position is 3963.000126 - 3963 = 0.000126 miles above the surface of the earth. 0.000126 miles = 12*5280*0.000126 = 7.98 inches. Hence the earth's surface curves at approximately 8 inches per mile.

In summation, their glass would bend 3 inches over the half kilometre molten bath and not be "perfectly flat, flaw-less glass".

What gives round-earthers?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: Industrial flat glass, needs a flat earth
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »
This argument appears flawless.

Looks to me like another VICTORY FOR FE!!!!

I applaud you Thork, keep up the great work!  ;)

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »
Uh, what? They're applying constant forces during the creation of the glass; the 'float' process. How could it possibly bend with those forces applied to it? I don't understand.

Also, unnecessary fanboyism. Grow up.

Lorddave

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
Or you simply have a float line that is perfectly flat with filler material to increase it's height by 3 inches at the end.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »
I'll come out with it. I'm pro-flat earth. However I would like to know how the round-earthers explain the manufacture of industrial flat glass, using the float process?

If the earth is round, how do you make a perfectly flat flaw-free piece of glass using a "mirror-like surface of molten tin" , especially when "A float line can be nearly half a kilometre long.". Surely a round earth would put a curve in the glass and it would not be "Perfectly flat, flaw-free glass".

Look at the lengths these guys go to to get flat glass. 100 million inspection measurements a second! Surely they would work out all their glass curved? Unless the earth was flat of course.

Some quick maths ...
1 mile = 1.609344 km
Suppose that the earth is a sphere of radius 3963 miles as claimed. If you are at a point P on the earth's surface and move tangent to the surface a distance of 1 mile then you can form a right angled triangel as in the diagram. Using the theorem of Pythagoras a2 = 39632 + 12 = 15705370 and thus a = 3963.000126 miles. Thus your position is 3963.000126 - 3963 = 0.000126 miles above the surface of the earth. 0.000126 miles = 12*5280*0.000126 = 7.98 inches. Hence the earth's surface curves at approximately 8 inches per mile.

In summation, their glass would bend 3 inches over the half kilometre molten bath and not be "perfectly flat, flaw-less glass".

First of all Earth isn't perfectly flat in either case of RE or FE. Secondly the probability of RE producing such a thing is entirely probable. And you do realize that you can have a level surface area of that size on the RE model correct? You do know how to use a level correct?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:47:02 PM by TheJackel »
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:59 PM »
This Is ingenious work. I Think I shall look more into Industry and Flat earth theories coralation. Just great work.
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »
This Is ingenious work. I Think I shall look more into Industry and Flat earth theories coralation. Just great work.

Yeah, we figure engineers are smart enough on how to use a level lol :P and the magical part he left out was that they use scanned data to be used for intelligent cutters that improve the quality and flatness of the glass.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:19:30 PM by TheJackel »
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
It is possible to make a flat surface on a round object. This thread does not prove anything. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:19:27 PM »

Of course that assumes that they're trying to make a perfectly flat piece of glass 500 meters long.  For some strange reason or other, I don't think that's what they're trying to do. 

Oh, and the curvature of the earth over the length of 500 meters is less than one inch.  Go ahead and redo your math using .31 miles instead of 1 mile and see what happens.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »
I love this. In some threads RE'ers say there should be curvature, and now in this one they are saying there isn't any.

You guys need to figure out your theories.

Vindictus

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
I love this. In some threads RE'ers say there should be curvature, and now in this one they are saying there isn't any.

And you guys need to agree on a Universal theory, draw up a map, and explain mountains of evidence stacked against the FET that the FAQ doesn't even address.

The OP made no sense in his conclusion. I'm not quite sure how to explain to him/you that it's possible to have flat objects on a spherical Earth. The process they use to create this glass demonstrates it.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »

I'm not quite sure how to explain to him/you that it's possible to have flat objects on a spherical Earth. The process they use to create this glass demonstrates it.

Sounds like you have no evidence to me.

"I don't know how it works, but it works! REALLY!!!"

?

zork

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:33:09 PM »

Take a wooden ball, shave off a little bit in random place and there you are, object with a curvature and a flat area.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 11:44:35 PM »

Take a wooden ball, shave off a little bit in random place and there you are, object with a curvature and a flat area.

It would seize to be a spheroid now wouldn't it?

Lorddave

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:51:51 PM »

Or take a wooden ball and put a flat piece of wood knit.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »

A 100 sided die would be a spheroid lol.

?

zork

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »

Sure, if you shave off quite big a portion from it. But take a little piece and it's still spheroid if you look at the distance but if you look from close then there is a little flat area there.
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Vindictus

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 12:05:18 AM »

I'm not quite sure how to explain to him/you that it's possible to have flat objects on a spherical Earth. The process they use to create this glass demonstrates it.

Sounds like you have no evidence to me.

"I don't know how it works, but it works! REALLY!!!"

When I said "I'm not quite sure" I meant:

"You guys take things out of context so easily that it's practically impossible"

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 12:06:45 AM »

Sure, if you shave off quite big a portion from it. But take a little piece and it's still spheroid if you look at the distance but if you look from close then there is a little flat area there.

So it would just appear to be a spheroid, and not actually be one.

?

zork

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 12:08:36 AM »

Is there a problem with that?
-

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »

Or take a wooden ball and put a flat piece of wood knit.

What is a wood knit? Everything I am finding doesn't look very flat...  :P

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »

That would contradict the theory that the earth is an oblate spheroid if it isn't actually one.

Furthermore it weakens the stance of you saying the Earth is not flat when you are admitting that it is flat.

?

zork

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:13:50 AM »

That would contradict the theory that the earth is an oblate spheroid if it isn't actually one.
No, because no one has said that the earth is totally perfect oblate spheroid. But... even in your nice and shiny spheroid if you take a area sufficiently small then you can say that this area is flat. So, no problems with flat areas on spheroid.
-

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »

No, because no one has said that the earth is totally perfect oblate spheroid. But... even in your nice and shiny spheroid if you take a area sufficiently small then you can say that this area is flat. So, no problems with flat areas on spheroid.

Incorrect and irrelevant.

We are not talking about small areas. Read the OP.

?

zork

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 12:36:51 AM »

Incorrect and irrelevant.

We are not talking about small areas. Read the OP.
As it may be irrelevant in specific context it is not incorrect. And still, if you make a flat area in a size of the squaremile on the ground, then sure, you can refer to the earth as not spheroid anymore if you really want. But it's still very small in the relation of the entire globe and if you look at the larger distance then the earth is still a spheroid. So I don't understand your problem with flat areas on the spheroid.
EDIT: And if you have problems with your imagination, then take some drawing program, draw a circle/spheroid with a radius some  500 pixels and take a good look with magnification tool.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:48:23 AM by zork »
-

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 01:15:38 AM »

Some quick maths ...
1 mile = 1.609344 km

Please provide the engineering toleraces for the process. How much curvature would there be in the longest piece they produce?
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

?

zork

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 01:17:46 AM »
The top surface of the liquid should follow the curvature of the earth regardless of what is underneath be it a wedge of wood or cut flat into the earth.
Don't you miss something here? If there is nice flat piece of ground under the liquid then there is no curvature to follow.
-

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 01:35:21 AM »
Zork. You are missing something. If the earth is flat yes. If the earth is round then no.

The bottom surface makes no difference to the upper surface. Where there are mountain chains under the sea, the sea does not rise up. Where there are valleys under the sea, the sea does not dip. The sea doesn't stay flat where the surface below is flat according to RE physics. Cutting into the earth would not make a flat top surface if the earth was round.

As for length they will make it as long as a customer wants. The process is continuous.

If the process is continous then there's no reason to assume that they use a surface of water long enough to be affected by the curvature of the Earth. They can simply keep a small length flat with the next small length. So you got nothing.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

?

zork

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 01:44:27 AM »
Zork. You are missing something. If the earth is flat yes. If the earth is round then no.

The bottom surface makes no difference to the upper surface. Where there are mountain chains under the sea, the sea does not rise up. Where there are valleys under the sea, the sea does not dip. The sea doesn't stay flat where the surface below is flat according to RE physics. Cutting into the earth would not make a flat top surface if the earth was round.

As for length they will make it as long as a customer wants. The process is continuous.
You really are slow to understand. If you have pool with the length of the half mile and it's bottom is flat then the surface is also flat. Nothing to discuss here.
-

?

Kira-SY

• Ja pierdole!
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 01:48:18 AM »

You really are slow to understand. If you have pool with the length of the half mile and it's bottom is flat then the surface is also flat. Nothing to discuss here.

Not quite sure if this fits here but:

Think of the ocean as a gigantic pool. It's curved because it's big enough. So the Earth is round.
Signature under building process, our apologies for the inconveniences