Poll

If you were offered money to be an RE'er on here, would you do it if you knew the Earth Was flat?

Yes
No

Da Conspirasa!

• 60 Replies

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
Da Conspirasa!
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »
Face it RE'ers.... if you knew the Earth was flat, but somebody paid you to come on here to combat and distract (through debate) the FES on its own forum.... would you?

" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: Da Conspirasa!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:51:45 PM »
Huh?  The poll and your post seem to be asking two different questions.

Death-T

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »

Ummmmmm..... how? The actual poll question is asking whether would would honestly go on here as an Re'er (thereby actively debating with the FES) if your were paid to do so, even if you knew that the earth was flat.

The post below it is asking the same thing, but adds why you are being paid - as being part of the conspiracy to cover up the "truth."

I see no conflict - merely the addition of motive.
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

Xerox

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »

Ummmmmm..... how? The actual poll question is asking whether would would honestly go on here as an Re'er (thereby actively debating with the FES) if your were paid to do so, even if you knew that the earth was flat.

The post below it is asking the same thing, but adds why you are being paid - as being part of the conspiracy to cover up the "truth."

I see no conflict - merely the addition of motive.

Agreed.  I see the same question in the poll and in the post.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
Well, in the post you said "Face it RE'ers..."  You meant FE'ers, right?

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
Let's stop picking apart typos in someone's text. We all do it, everyone who types is able to be accused of a typo at one point or another. Humans make mistakes, so lets just cool it and let this legitimate question be answered.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »
If he did mean FEers rather than REers, the whole target of the poll changes.  That would be more than an insignificant little typo.

Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
The question on the pole is just fine.  I answered no.  I wouldn't sincerely argue for something I knew was completely false.

Death-T

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
If he did mean FEers rather than REers, the whole target of the poll changes.  That would be more than an insignificant little typo.

I meant REers - I'm interested to know whether or not they would compromise their morals if given a sum of money by the "conspiracy."

Death-T

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »
It seems that greed is indeed alive and well.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
I love all the "no" answers.  What a bunch of hypocrites.  ::)

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »
It's not hypocrisy if you're doing something you believe in. If I believed in this theory, I wouldn't take money to be swayed. But guess what, I don't. Hypocrisy is doing one thing, and saying another. This is not the case in a hypothetical question. Quit attacking and grabbing at straws that do not exist please  :)

If I were to tell you not to smoke and light up a cigarette in your face, I'm a hypocrite.

If I were to believe in this theory and not be swayed for cash, I am not.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:46:08 PM by justaquestion »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »
It's not hypocrisy if you're doing something you believe in. If I believed in this theory, I wouldn't take money to be swayed. But guess what, I don't. Hypocrisy is doing one thing, and saying another. This is not the case in a hypothetical question. Quit attacking and grabbing at straws that do not exist please  :)

If I were to tell you not to smoke and light up a cigarette in your face, I'm a hypocrite.

If I were to believe in this theory and not be swayed for cash, I am not.

Everybody can be swayed by cash.  So to claim you wouldn't be makes you hypocritical.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
I voted no. >:(
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »
That's your view on humanity, Others may not agree. There are people out there that would not be swayed by cash for their beliefs. Because in the end, aren't our beliefs and memories all we have?

Your opinion is your own here  ;) A lot of people have a price, but I believe that it is unfair to say that everyone does.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Already doing it for the lulz, might aswel get paid to to do it for significantly more lulz aswel.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
That's your view on humanity, Others may not agree. There are people out there that would not be swayed by cash for their beliefs. Because in the end, aren't our beliefs and memories all we have?

I saw nothing implied about changing one's beliefs in the poll, merely lying about what those beliefs are.  In fact foreknowledge of the truth seemed to be implied there, making belief completely irrelevant.  

Everybody lies.  And everybody is influenced by cash (except pure communists, but I'm betting that you and everybody else who voted "no" here doesn't live on a kibbutz).

;) A lot of people have a price, but I believe that it is unfair to say that everyone does.

You have a price.  And you even know it.  Your narcissistic pride in your own integrity is the only thing that would make you claim otherwise.

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
You all are really quite entertaining in your own light. I said several times on here that I could be swayed by your thoughts if you brought me proof, but I'm leaning further and further away from you the more I read your replies here. Recruit me dammit.

Anyways, as you were trying to bring a conflict up out of nothing, I have no choice but to continue.

Please keep personal attacks to a minimum, as I have yet to attack any one individual. Now... If I were to say my belief was in the truth, and that I try to avoid lying. I am human, therefore it happens, but would that not be being asked to sway my belief for cash?

I never specified that my belief was in the flat earth theory on that specific post you commented on. My integrity is not in question here either, I was merely saying that  it is unfair to say that everyone does have a price. You're saying that there is not a single person on your flat earth that would prefer their integrity to cash?

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
I propose that we agree to disagree on that one. This conversation does not need to go any further than it has c: Besides, we need not be hostile towards each other simply due to different view points eh?

However I can continue this if you'd like, merely offering the flag of peaceful resolution.  ;D

Xerox

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »

I saw nothing implied about changing one's beliefs in the poll, merely lying about what those beliefs are.  In fact foreknowledge of the truth seemed to be implied there, making belief completely irrelevant.  

Everybody lies.  And everybody is influenced by cash (except pure communists, but I'm betting that you and everybody else who voted "no" here doesn't live on a kibbutz).

;) A lot of people have a price, but I believe that it is unfair to say that everyone does.

You have a price.  And you even know it.  Your narcissistic pride in your own integrity is the only thing that would make you claim otherwise.

Apparently your lack of morals is the same for everyone else?  ???

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
You're saying that there is not a single person on your flat earth that would prefer their integrity to cash?

So far the responses are split down the middle.  Trust me, people are far more likely to be motivated by greed than that.

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »
But I still maintain that what you said before is false, and you just agreed with me by saying that they are 'more likely' to instead of, without a shadow of a doubt, saying yes. So I am making some form of progress in this. We have gone to "Everyone has a price", on to "Only if you're communist", to "More likely".

My offer still stands  :) -holds my hand out for you to take- Agree to disagree? Or need I continue this debate.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »
But I still maintain that what you said before is false, and you just agreed with me by saying that they are 'more likely' to instead of, without a shadow of a doubt, saying yes. So I am making some form of progress in this. We have gone to "Everyone has a price", on to "Only if you're communist", to "More likely".

My offer still stands  :) -holds my hand out for you to take- Agree to disagree? Or need I continue this debate.

Well, I admitted above that there are people not motivated by cash.  Such people are so rare that it is statistically unlikely that they are on these forums.  I think it's very unlikely that any such people voted in this poll.  They are almost certainly all being hypocritical.

Lorddave

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »

Well, I admitted above that there are people not motivated by cash.  Such people are so rare that it is statistically unlikely that they are on these forums.  I think it's very unlikely that any such people voted in this poll.  They are almost certainly all being hypocritical.

I am not motivated by money.
I'm motivated by ego.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 07:44:09 PM »
Everybody can be swayed by cash.    So to claim you wouldn't be makes you hypocritical.
                ^ Claim 1                                              ^ Claim 2

Claim 1 is unsubstantiated nonsense and a sweeping generalization one would require omniscience to make.  It's an opinion that you're pretending is a fact.  Claim 2 implies to me that you don't know what the definition of the word "hypocrite" is.  Saying I wouldn't accept money even though I would isn't hypocritical; it's lying.  Hypocrisy necessitates that I think negatively of those who would accept the money, only to accept it myself.

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
Who are you to say that their morals are any better than your own? Who's to say the statistics aren't more in the favor of those who would not be? Anything is possible, and I would ask you to be more open-minded to the possibilities. Please, accept my 'truce' and lets move on to more pressing matters, like how the world is flat. This back-and-forth argument has gone on long enough.

You as a flat-earth theorist should know better than others things may not appear as they seem. That is what this society is based on, is it not?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
Everybody can be swayed by cash.    So to claim you wouldn't be makes you hypocritical.

Claim 1 is unsubstantiated nonsense and a sweeping generalization one would require omniscience to make.  It's an opinion that you're pretending is a fact.

I think if you really pay attention you'd see that sweeping generalization or no, it is, by and large, entirely true.  The only reason I can imagine that someone wouldn't lie about their beliefs for money is if they already had too much money to care.

Claim 2 implies to me that you don't know what the definition of the word "hypocrite" is.  Saying I wouldn't accept money even though I would isn't hypocritical; it's lying.  Hypocrisy necessitates that I think negatively of those who would accept the money, only to accept it myself.

The very fact that one would be untruthful about it implies that they would think negatively of the act.  Those who voted "no" did so because they can't bear to think of themselves as someone who would do that.  It's textbook hypocrisy.

Who are you to say that their morals are any better than your own? Who's to say the statistics aren't more in the favor of those who would not be? Anything is possible, and I would ask you to be more open-minded to the possibilities. Please, accept my 'truce' and lets move on to more pressing matters, like how the world is flat. This back-and-forth argument has gone on long enough.

You as a flat-earth theorist should know better than others things may not appear as they seem. That is what this society is based on, is it not?

I accept your truce but I maintain that what I'm saying is entirely relevant to the subject.

And in my experience, things always appear as they seem.

Lorddave

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »

Claim 1 is unsubstantiated nonsense and a sweeping generalization one would require omniscience to make.  It's an opinion that you're pretending is a fact.

I think if you really pay attention you'd see that sweeping generalization or no, it is, by and large, entirely true.  The only reason I can imagine that someone wouldn't lie about their beliefs for money is if they already had too much money to care.

Claim 2 implies to me that you don't know what the definition of the word "hypocrite" is.  Saying I wouldn't accept money even though I would isn't hypocritical; it's lying.  Hypocrisy necessitates that I think negatively of those who would accept the money, only to accept it myself.

The very fact that one would be untruthful about it implies that they would think negatively of the act.  Those who voted "no" did so because they can't bear to think of themselves as someone who would do that.  It's textbook hypocrisy.

I accept your truce but I maintain that what I'm saying is entirely relevant to the subject.

And in my experience, things always appear as they seem.

Well first I want to say that there are other reasons to not be motivated by money than simply having more than they need.  How about feeling that material posessions are worthless.  Buddhists, for example.

Also, why are you saying that things always appear as they seem?  That's contradictory to your "The Earth's shape could be an illusion so it can't be proven" that you said in another thread.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »
"The only reason I can imagine that someone wouldn't lie about their beliefs for money is if they already had too much money to care."

You've never heard of integrity?

"It's textbook hypocrisy."

You keep using that word, but I don't think you know what it means...

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
So... Answer this. If things "Always appear as they seem" doesn't that contradict your entire society as a whole? Is this place not built on the idea that there is a possibility that the earth is flat, therefore it is not how it would seem to the mass population? To me, your validity in your own subject matter is failing.

To me, the idea of a flat earth would be you all asking me not to take what science has proven as evidence, therefore you are asking me to look outside the box, and saying that "Things that appear true, may not be".

On another note, I call troll. After one dispute is pushed aside, you dig for another to begin.