THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT

• 63 Replies
?

god

« on: June 20, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »
ok i already proposed this to my new friend "unimportant", but i feel this is worthy of it's own post.

i propose place a bet. and i'm willing to bet anyone who believes in the FE theory.

we will each fly to the tip of africa, or the southern shore of austrailia. from there we will hop on a plane and fly due south untill one of two things happen.....

we will either fly past the south pole and continue onto the other side of the continent.....

or

we will be stopped by the "government" and thier magical geneticly bread penguins.

now whoever loses the bet pays for the combined total of both parties time/expenses/airfare/everything......

if we get arrested by the wall gaurdians....i'd be willing to pay for all your legal fees, and in the event of your death at the hands of penguins....i'll pay your family 1 million dollars.

who's got the stones to take this bet?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:04:45 PM »
This sounds like a great idea, with some maybe-not-immediately-obvious drawbacks.

Quote from: "god"
we will be stopped by the "government" and thier magical geneticly bread penguins.

Maybe you don't realize the seriousness of the situation in which you'd find yourself here.

if we get arrested by the wall gaurdians....i'd be willing to pay for all your legal fees, and in the event of your death at the hands of penguins....i'll pay your family 1 million dollars.

Legal fees aren't an issue... it would probably never come to that.  And as much as I love my family, I hardly think that I, your typical die-hard flat-Earth believer, who believes that if he attempts this he will necessarily die, would be willing to knowingly sacrifice myself for them to get a million bucks.

I would rather ask, "Who's got the sense?"  No flat-Earther who really believes the Earth to be flat would take it.  Either they would succeed and surely die, or never make it far enough and then be left splitting the cost with you for no discernible gain.  Foolish.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

god

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:14:31 PM »
ah yes, but your adventure would not only be funded, but you would then be vindicated and recieve world notoriity as being the one who uncovered the truth.

if you loose you're out the cash

quite frankly, thats the only reason you won't take the bet, and you know it

if you win you don't pay a dime either way, but if i win you'd be owing me thousands. and i don't think you'd have the bankroll to cover that.....i myself do.

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »
I'll take the bet, but only as an excuse to go on vacation.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:33:44 PM »
I think some people beat you to it!

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/about.html

http://www.hideawayholidays.com.au/antarct.html

From as little as $900AUD you too can see the great ice wall.

Note the land clearly visible in this picture, http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/gallery-Pages/Image4.html

"Q: "Why doesn't water run off the Earth?"

A: There is a vast ice wall that keeps the water where it is. The ice wall is roughly 150ft high. This also explains why you can find a vast plane of ice when you travel south.

Antarctica as a continent does not exist."

From the FAQ.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:42:05 PM »
ah yes, but your adventure would not only be funded, but you would then be vindicated and recieve world notoriity as being the one who uncovered the truth.

No, my adventure would not be funded, since presumably you don't give me the money until after I win.

And yay, I love being posthumously vindicated.

if you loose you're out the cash

... and -- out of time!

quite frankly, thats the only reason you won't take the bet, and you know it

No, seriously.  The threat of impending doom is far more... threatening.

if you win you don't pay a dime either way, but if i win you'd be owing me thousands. and i don't think you'd have the bankroll to cover that.....

That's awfully presumptuous of you.

i myself do.

Great, well, send me a check and we'll talk.

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:42:55 PM »
I'm getting that's 667.17 U.S. dollars, Cheaper then a trip to Japan from the east coast of the USA. So who's up for a vacation?!
Since June 2006.

?

god

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 10:55:51 AM »
well i think it kinda goes without saying that the bet is only good for the true "flat earth" believer. sorry no free vacation for you sane people.

the bet is as follows....

we draw up a contract between the 2 of us, the winner of the bet has his expenses paid for by the loser.

simple as that. untill the bet is setteled we'd be splitting the cost 50/50. when we fly due south and see land, you owe me my expenses. we get busted by the ice wall gaurdians (lol) then i guess we both die according to you nut jobs.

so on the same token i guess i'm putting my life at equal risk, so whats the problem....i'm thinking your all just a bunch of wacked out retards, or playing along for reaction, or both (the most likely of the 3 options). so i'm calling you out.

either someone takes the bet, or you are all a bunch of jackasses.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 12:44:44 PM »
so on the same token i guess i'm putting my life at equal risk,

Why the hell should I care that you'll also die?  I don't want to die in the cold harsh wilderness with nobody around but a few trained government killers and somebody who thinks I'm a jackass.

?

god

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 01:03:28 PM »
just a risk you'll have to take i guess.

i can't help but think your a jackass, i mean seriously bro, if you honestly believe the earth is flat you've got some issues.

something got your head warped...it's either your childhood, or the bible, or lead paint....something.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 01:14:04 PM »

Why do I have to take it?

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Why do I have to take it?

To prove your belief.  It's obviously an end goal for you, or you wouldn't participate in these discussions.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 01:35:22 PM »
im siding with Erasmus here, not only does a person have choice in what they believe in, but honestly, who are you to say he has issues, may i ask how you found out so securely that the earth is in fact round, apart from being told?
y intellect matches that of einstein, my philosophical mind outcrafts socrates, and yet, pringles is such a satisfying name

?

god

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 05:12:51 PM »
well lets see....

i've flown in planes and seen the curvature of the earth

i've been to the ocean and saw ships coming in and grow taller as they aproach.

tides

reality

the sheer magnitude of the supposed coverup is not only impossible, but pointless

oh and then there's my uncle who was stationed at the us weather observatory in antartica....(thats the biggie for me)

also there are southern lights, as well as northern lights (that i've seen), which lend to the fact that the earth is round.

then there is the prepondanance of idiocy that i see from the FE'ers which has convinced me without a doubt that anyone believing in such rubbish should be instatutionalised....

thoes are the top 8.....might add more if i feel like wasting more time with you fools.

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 05:19:13 PM »
well lets see....

i've flown in planes and seen the curvature of the earth

i've been to the ocean and saw ships coming in and grow taller as they aproach.

tides

reality

the sheer magnitude of the supposed coverup is not only impossible, but pointless

oh and then there's my uncle who was stationed at the us weather observatory in antartica....(thats the biggie for me)

also there are southern lights, as well as northern lights (that i've seen), which lend to the fact that the earth is round.

then there is the prepondanance of idiocy that i see from the FE'ers which has convinced me without a doubt that anyone believing in such rubbish should be instatutionalised....

thoes are the top 8.....might add more if i feel like wasting more time with you fools.

1. The windows in planes are fish eyed to make it look that way

2. The Earth is flat that's impossible

3. caused by the earth tilting from all the Dark Energy inside of it

4. conspiracy etc.

5. he's brainwashed

6. penguins
Since June 2006.

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 05:21:43 PM »
Ok god, think about this from the FE'ers perspective compared to your own.

You, the RE believer, can do one of two things:
1) Die
2) Vacation for free

Not really a compelling reason to go at all, but hey, some people like to gamble.

FE believer possible outcomes:
1) Die
2) Lose lots of money

That's pretty lose-lose. Gambling is risk with the potential of gain; from your proposition, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by the FE'er except, as you claim, posthumous notoriety.

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/gallery-Pages/Image4.html

Holy crap, you found it! The ice wall! Finally, proof! Thank goodness!

Re: THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 06:21:10 PM »
ok i already proposed this to my new friend "unimportant", but i feel this is worthy of it's own post.

It would be a silly bet to take as a flat earther.  

My life is worth more than $1,000,000 .  Put $10,000,000 in escrow to be collected by my widow when we do not return, and we might be able to work something out.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 08:27:19 PM »
Strange a true believer would give anything to prove their cause .
It seems you have little faith  in your beliefs .
  Frankly only a coward would claim to be a believer but not be willing to prove it . then there is the problem that it cant be a government conspiracy considering how many different governments there are and none of them can agree on anything let alone pull off the type of secretsy it would require.
Hell the inner earth theories hold more promise
Blind faith is a great thing except it requires you remain blind to truth.
ust say No to drugs , looks like some missed that message .

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 09:12:15 PM »
Exactly, this would seem a perfect cause "worth dying for" yet no Flat Earther is game to take the challenge, it would upset their little (flat) world too much if they found out the world is round (sphere). Maybe once the flat earth exponent was in a plane they would realize there isn't enough material on Earth to manufacture a screen projector big enough to give the "illusion" of the curved horizon, you should try flying sometime....

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »
Is there no flat earther with the patriotic desire and blind devotion to take this bet. I mean seriously, the 300 or so years this debate has been going on, and not one FE is willing to risk everything in honour of the predecessors?

Either all FE are completely un-patriotic or they don't believe their theories blindly and are concerned they will be proved wrong.

What have you got to loose? Death? Personally, I'd rather embrace death as a patriot than life as a fool.

Let's face it, someone has called your bluff. You either go through with it as a patriot, or fold displaying your lack of patriatism or lack of faith in your beliefs. Seriously, if no FE's take this on, how can you expect anyone to believe otherwise?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 11:03:40 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"

Is there no flat earther with the patriotic desire and blind devotion to take this bet.

What does patriotism have to do with it?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 11:15:41 PM »
Because if you were to uncover the the biggest lie in the history of this planet, you would be hailed a patriot!

I looked up patriot in the dictionary and it pertains to only the defence of a country, not an idea. Perhaps not the best choice of words, but you know what I mean.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 01:44:23 AM »
Quote from: "Athilies"
Strange a true believer would give anything to prove their cause

No offense, but that's stupid.

How about this, any of you: I promise to renounce flat Earthism and believe that the Earth is round, on the condition that you allow me to kill you.  Sound like a good deal?  Didn't think so.

It seems you have little faith  in your beliefs.

Maybe we're just not as naively idealistic as you see in movies.

Frankly only a coward would claim to be a believer but not be willing to prove it.

I provided proof already, in a link.  The link is also in the FAQ.  Managed to click on it without government agents jumping through my window and killing me, so I guess I can prove it without risking my life.

Unfortunately the proof was too mathematical for the other members arguing in that thread.  Admittedly, there were some numbers.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 01:45:20 AM »
Is there no flat earther with the patriotic desire and blind devotion

No.  Blind devotion seems to be a characteristic unique to REers.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 05:35:59 AM »
Blind devotion is a trait shown by many patriotic men and women that have been hailed over the centuries as heroes. To deny this is to insult the intentions of the men and women that have died in battle before you to maintain the liberties that you currently enjoy. Don't be a fucking pig. Have some respect!!

Back on topic. Blind devotion is what is given by those who hold their beliefs so strongly that dying to prove it would be a privellage, not a chore. Why do you think people put their neck on the line for their country? Because they believe that what they choose is right. If you believe it so strongly, the step up to the plate. If not, back away and admit defeat. It's as simple as that.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 09:56:48 AM »
Blind devotion is a trait shown by many patriotic men and women that have been hailed over the centuries as heroes. To deny this is to insult the intentions of the men and women that have died in battle before you to maintain the liberties that you currently enjoy. Don't be a fucking pig. Have some respect!!

Screw your blindly devoted heroes -- screw them.

Give me any day an ethical, rational, self-critical hero over a blind devotee any day.

And, to label "blindly devoted" the people who died in battle before me to maintain the liberties that I currently enjoy is to reduce them to something less than human.  Don't be a mindless cog in a machine you cannot perceive.  Have some respect!

And watch your language, too.

Blind devotion is what is given by those who hold their beliefs so strongly that dying to prove it would be a privellage, not a chore.

No.  Blind devotion is the willingness to die for your beliefs if that's what your beliefs require, without really caring to understand why your beliefs require that of you.

Why do you think people put their neck on the line for their country? Because they believe that what they choose is right. If you believe it so strongly, the step up to the plate. If not, back away and admit defeat. It's as simple as that.

Take your pseudopatriotic prosyletizing elsewhere.  I am unmoved.  Once the liberty of nations is threatened by the increasingly tyrannical pro-round-Earth conspiracy, I'll give your suggestion some thought.  Until then, wipe the foam away from your mouth and ease up on the criminally naive equivocations.

Or, as I suggested before, you can come over to my place and we'll have a fight to the death... if I win, the world is flat; if you win, it's round.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »
Here's the deal: FE'ers are only afraid to get proven wrong.

(And now they will claim that they're not..)
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 03:10:01 PM »
Are you sure we aren't more afraid of a gruesome death to no apparent gain?

Because frankly I'd be more afraid of that.

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 04:22:40 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
I provided proof already, in a link. The link is also in the FAQ. Managed to click on it without government agents jumping through my window and killing me, so I guess I can prove it without risking my life.

Really?  I must have missed that...  
I can't find said link to a proof in the FAQ, mind reposting it?

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
Erasmus - nothing you post in any link here is going to prove squat to anyone. No link, no picture, nothing, stop wasting your time. Your argumentive style is based on fallacies, is annoying and almost invariably fails to address the point asked of you. Are you a politician? My guess would be a 30-40 something academic with no sex life. Get in your blimp and come back with some photos, footage, DNA blueprints for penguins, whatever you think it will take, then, maybe then we might take you a tad more seriously.
I live in Australia and our government is most defiantely NOT capable of sustaining a conspiracy the scale of which you propose. Our government is composed entirely of a bunch of bumbling fools. Idiots. Plebs. Mensch. Detritus. There should be a lot more proof than "mathamatical" ideas that may or may not substantiate your claims but mean nothing to the rest of us. BRING US THE PROOF!