THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT

  • 63 Replies
  • 11351 Views
?

6strings

  • The Elder Ones
  • 689
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 05:11:36 PM »
Quote
There should be a lot more proof than "mathamatical" ideas that may or may not substantiate your claims but mean nothing to the rest of us. BRING US THE PROOF!

Of course!  The standard for proofs should be dumbed down until the stupidest can understand them...christ...

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 05:31:44 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Screw your blindly devoted heroes -- screw them.
Give me any day an ethical, rational, self-critical hero over a blind devotee any day.
And, to label "blindly devoted" the people who died in battle before me to maintain the liberties that I currently enjoy is to reduce them to something less than human.  Don't be a mindless cog in a machine you cannot perceive.  Have some respect!
And watch your language, too.

Fuck you! That enough language? You have no idea what you are talking about. I on the other hand do have military experience and do know what I'm talking about. It's got nothing to do with not being human. And yes, teamwork is about being a cog in a machine you idiot. Each part must do it's job without question or the entire unit will not work. Trust me, I can perceive this more than you know.

Quote from: "Erasmus"
Take your pseudopatriotic prosyletizing elsewhere.  I am unmoved.  Once the liberty of nations is threatened by the increasingly tyrannical pro-round-Earth conspiracy, I'll give your suggestion some thought.  Until then, wipe the foam away from your mouth and ease up on the criminally naive equivocations.

Speak English moron. Using words that others do not understand does not make you smart, it makes you able to read a dictionary and shows your inability to read people and speak with people on a level they related. Theodore Rousevelt (spelling?) was one of the greatest leaders of the world, not because of what he achieved, but because of who he got to work for him. He could speak to anyone on any level. He did not try to patronise them, which he was smart enough to know would only get him further resistance. Get off your high horse!! Why does it take of threat of your country for you to take up on my offer. The threat on a country is usually a threat of the liberties including freedom which are enjoyed by it's occupants. Those who live in a world where their views are not respected by the greater population (eg. Those of the Flat Earth Society) suffer the same seperation and discrimination as those that have been invaded. To proove your point would offer similar benefits to defending your country, after all, defending a country is simply defending what we believe in.

Quote from: "Erasmus"
Or, as I suggested before, you can come over to my place and we'll have a fight to the death... if I win, the world is flat; if you win, it's round.
YOU'VE GOT A DEAL. Fuck it, it's woth it. This time you have really bitten off more than you can chew. I hope you're a good fighter, cos I am. What's your address?? Don't even attempt to back out of this one. You have made it nice and clear that this is your choice and something you would be happy to do to solve the issue. If I win, the world is round, and you have to organise to shut down the FES, because you admit it isn't the case. If you win..... well, let's assume that's possible, then the world is Flat and I will gladly admit the fact. Oh yeah..... I have 19 years of combat training and various titles to proove it.... Bring it on!!!

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 05:48:36 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Screw your blindly devoted heroes -- screw them.
Give me any day an ethical, rational, self-critical hero over a blind devotee any day.
And, to label "blindly devoted" the people who died in battle before me to maintain the liberties that I currently enjoy is to reduce them to something less than human.  Don't be a mindless cog in a machine you cannot perceive.  Have some respect!
And watch your language, too.

Fuck you! That enough language? You have no idea what you are talking about. I on the other hand do have military experience and do know what I'm talking about. It's got nothing to do with not being human. And yes, teamwork is about being a cog in a machine you idiot. Each part must do it's job without question or the entire unit will not work. Trust me, I can perceive this more than you know.

Quote from: "Erasmus"
Take your pseudopatriotic prosyletizing elsewhere.  I am unmoved.  Once the liberty of nations is threatened by the increasingly tyrannical pro-round-Earth conspiracy, I'll give your suggestion some thought.  Until then, wipe the foam away from your mouth and ease up on the criminally naive equivocations.

Speak English moron. Using words that others do not understand does not make you smart, it makes you able to read a dictionary and shows your inability to read people and speak with people on a level they related. Theodore Rousevelt (spelling?) was one of the greatest leaders of the world, not because of what he achieved, but because of who he got to work for him. He could speak to anyone on any level. He did not try to patronise them, which he was smart enough to know would only get him further resistance. Get off your high horse!! Why does it take of threat of your country for you to take up on my offer. The threat on a country is usually a threat of the liberties including freedom which are enjoyed by it's occupants. Those who live in a world where their views are not respected by the greater population (eg. Those of the Flat Earth Society) suffer the same seperation and discrimination as those that have been invaded. To proove your point would offer similar benefits to defending your country, after all, defending a country is simply defending what we believe in.

Quote from: "Erasmus"
Or, as I suggested before, you can come over to my place and we'll have a fight to the death... if I win, the world is flat; if you win, it's round.
YOU'VE GOT A DEAL. Fuck it, it's woth it. This time you have really bitten off more than you can chew. I hope you're a good fighter, cos I am. What's your address?? Don't even attempt to back out of this one. You have made it nice and clear that this is your choice and something you would be happy to do to solve the issue. If I win, the world is round, and you have to organise to shut down the FES, because you admit it isn't the case. If you win..... well, let's assume that's possible, then the world is Flat and I will gladly admit the fact. Oh yeah..... I have 19 years of combat training and various titles to proove it.... Bring it on!!!


I look at this post and I don't see a scientist or an intellectual, I see a man with a heart.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

?

6strings

  • The Elder Ones
  • 689
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:23 PM »
Quote
I look at this post and I don't see a scientist or an intellectual, I see a man with a heart.

Really?  Because I look at it and see a man who has been brainwashed to a point that he believes that being used as a blind, unthinking tool is a virtue, and is enraged that this virtue that he holds so dear is being questioned.

Furthermore, what was your point?

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 05:54:32 PM »
Quote from: "6strings"
Quote
I look at this post and I don't see a scientist or an intellectual, I see a man with a heart.

Really?  Because I look at it and see a man who has been brainwashed to a point that he believes that being used as a blind, unthinking, tool is a virtue, and is enraged that this virtue that he holds so dear is being questioned.

Furthermore, what was your point?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 06:07:58 PM »
I'm not sure if it was a compliment or an insult.
I'm guessing with the sarcasm post it was an insult.

Funny thing is, your right. I'm not a genius, I don't pretend to be. I'm not particularly that worried if the earth is flat or round. I just can't stand people that spurt out bullshit pretending it's true. More so, I just don't back down. Either way, he has laid the challenge, I have accepted. I'm waiting....

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
I'm not sure if it was a compliment or an insult.
I'm guessing with the sarcasm post it was an insult.

Funny thing is, your right. I'm not a genius, I don't pretend to be. I'm not particularly that worried if the earth is flat or round. I just can't stand people that spurt out bullshit pretending it's true. More so, I just don't back down. Either way, he has laid the challenge, I have accepted. I'm waiting....


with all due respect, and I do commend your effort to disprove the FE theory, talking about how you would destroy someone in a fist fight over the internet doesn't gain you much credibility; and will probably just lead to ad hominem attacks (or simply attacking the arguer, and not the argument, if you aren't familar with the term)

EDIT: typo lolz
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

?

6strings

  • The Elder Ones
  • 689
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 06:15:55 PM »
Quote from: "Desu"
6strings wrote:
Quote:
I look at this post and I don't see a scientist or an intellectual, I see a man with a heart.

Really? Because I look at it and see a man who has been brainwashed to a point that he believes that being used as a blind, unthinking, tool is a virtue, and is enraged that this virtue that he holds so dear is being questioned.

Furthermore, what was your point?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

That wasn't sarcasm...even according to the wikipedia link, as there was no over-emphasis.  If you were using sarcasm interchangeably with ironic, then that would indicate that you are saying the direct antithesis of what you mean...which would seem to indicate that you see not a man with heart, but a genius and a scientist.  Unless, of course, you're using some form of sarcasm of which I am unawares, in which case feel free to enlighten me.

Quote
Funny thing is, your right.

That's not funny at all.

Quote
I'm not a genius, I don't pretend to be.

Duly noted.

Quote
I'm not particularly that worried if the earth is flat or round. I just can't stand people that spurt out bullshit pretending it's true.

If you think that's the case, then I think you've missed most of the point of this site.

Quote

 More so, I just don't back down. Either way, he has laid the challenge, I have accepted. I'm waiting....

You realize that he could just lie, right?  Do you further realize the intense irony with which the challenge was issued?  In either case, it would be wisest of you to go against your grain and simply "back down".

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 06:26:26 PM »
Quote from: "6strings"
Quote from: "Desu"
6strings wrote:
Quote:
I look at this post and I don't see a scientist or an intellectual, I see a man with a heart.

Really? Because I look at it and see a man who has been brainwashed to a point that he believes that being used as a blind, unthinking, tool is a virtue, and is enraged that this virtue that he holds so dear is being questioned.

Furthermore, what was your point?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

That wasn't sarcasm...even according to the wikipedia link, as there was no over-emphasis.  If you were using sarcasm interchangeably with ironic, then that would indicate that you are saying the direct antithesis of what you mean...which would seem to indicate that you see not a man with heart, but a genius and a scientist.  Unless, of course, you're using some form of sarcasm of which I am unawares, in which case feel free to enlighten me.

Quote
Funny thing is, your right.

That's not funny at all.

Quote
I'm not a genius, I don't pretend to be.

Duly noted.

Quote
I'm not particularly that worried if the earth is flat or round. I just can't stand people that spurt out bullshit pretending it's true.

If you think that's the case, then I think you've missed most of the point of this site.

Quote

 More so, I just don't back down. Either way, he has laid the challenge, I have accepted. I'm waiting....

You realize that he could just lie, right?  Do you further realize the intense irony with which the challenge was issued?  In either case, it would be wisest of you to go against your grain and simply "back down".



I was mocking his blind patriotism, "INTERNET BADASS" attitude and additionally his apparently inapt language skills. so perhaps sarcasm wasn't the best choice or words, but it should be blatantly obvious I was mocking him none the less
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »
Quote from: "Desu"
with all due respect, and I do commend your effort to disprove the FE theory, talking about how you would destroy someone in a fist fight over the internet doesn't gain you much credibility; and will probably just lead to ad hominem attacks (or simply attacking the arguer, and not the agrument, if you aren't familar with the term)
You're probably right. That's why I did not lay such a challenge, but since the challenge has been laid, I figured I would take up on it.

Quote from: "6strings"
If you think that's the case, then I think you've missed most of the point of this site.
Yes and no. Have a quick look at my first post. You'll notice that I came in with an open mind and willingness to see both sides. After a few posts and more reading, I came into nothing but a bunch of idiots. Had I come across people some physical evidence and a willingness to be diplomatic, I would have given the same respect, but since I was given none, I will give none in return. So to answer your comment, no, my original idea was as per the purpose of this site, but now, I've made up my mind and am just enjoying getting under the skin of the idiot who has challenged me.

Quote from: "6strings"
You realize that he could just lie, right?  Do you further realize the intense irony with which the challenge was issued?  In either case, it would be wisest of you to go against your grain and simply "back down".
Once again, you are right. He could just lie, but that would make him a coward AND an idiot. (he already has the idiot part down pat). The irony is astounding! That of the fact that he would not be willing to die to proove his point scientifically, but is more than willing to die in a fist fight that will ultimately prove nothing but defeat of the opinions of the two combatants. As mentioned, I could back down, but there inlies the problem of human stupbourness. Unfortunately, I am just like my opponents here on this site. I suffer from the willingness to follow my beliefs regardless how strong the evidence put before me. While in there case, they refuse to accept compelling evidence that the world is a sphere, and in the case of this poor sole, is willing to put his life on the line to make his point, my situation is much the same. I do not believe in backing down from a challenge once it has been accepted, and although presented with compelling arguments why backing down is a good idea, I will not.

?

6strings

  • The Elder Ones
  • 689
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »
Quote from: "Desu"
I was mocking his blind patriotism, "INTERNET BADASS" attitude and additionally his apparently inapt language skills. so perhaps sarcasm wasn't the best choice or words, but it should be blatantly obvious I was mocking him none the less

In all honesty, I don't do the whole internet forum thing often, so I have no idea, which is why that probably went over my head.  No idea what that would be called though...don't think it was sarcasm in any case.  Apologies.

Quote from: "jiffy"
Quote from: "6strings"
If you think that's the case, then I think you've missed most of the point of this site.
Yes and no. Have a quick look at my first post. You'll notice that I came in with an open mind and willingness to see both sides. After a few posts and more reading, I came into nothing but a bunch of idiots. Had I come across people some physical evidence and a willingness to be diplomatic, I would have given the same respect, but since I was given none, I will give none in return. So to answer your comment, no, my original idea was as per the purpose of this site, but now, I've made up my mind and am just enjoying getting under the skin of the idiot who has challenged me.

I don't need to read your post; it's clear to me that you have, in point of fact, missed the point of this site.

Quote
Once again, you are right. He could just lie, but that would make him a coward AND an idiot. (he already has the idiot part down pat). The irony is astounding! That of the fact that he would not be willing to die to proove his point scientifically, but is more than willing to die in a fist fight that will ultimately prove nothing but defeat of the opinions of the two combatants. As mentioned, I could back down, but there inlies the problem of human stupbourness. Unfortunately, I am just like my opponents here on this site. I suffer from the willingness to follow my beliefs regardless how strong the evidence put before me. While in there case, they refuse to accept compelling evidence that the world is a sphere, and in the case of this poor sole, is willing to put his life on the line to make his point, my situation is much the same. I do not believe in backing down from a challenge once it has been accepted, and although presented with compelling arguments why backing down is a good idea, I will not.

The homonyms; they burn!
In all seriousness, look at the scenario; you'd call him a coward if he does anything but fight you to the death (over a challenge that was offered laden with irony, nontheless, but I digress) so assuming he will not fight you, he will be branded a coward no matter what he does, lying, however, gets you to, I don't know, go down to the old wharf and get knifed by Scabby, the sea-hand who's suffering from ocean madness, or walk into any other, equally amusing, scenario.

The real reason that getting into such a huff about this challenge is stupid is simply that the challenge didn't even seem to be offered in ernest, but offered ironically to illustrate the idiocy of the scenario.

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 06:48:51 PM »
Quote from: "6strings"
Quote from: "Desu"
I was mocking his blind patriotism, "INTERNET BADASS" attitude and additionally his apparently inapt language skills. so perhaps sarcasm wasn't the best choice or words, but it should be blatantly obvious I was mocking him none the less

In all honesty, I don't do the whole internet forum thing often, so I have no idea, which is why that probably went over my head.  No idea what that would be called though...don't think it was sarcasm in any case.  Apologies.

don't worry about it, the internet is, after all, Serious business.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 06:50:41 PM »
Quote from: "6strings"


Quote from: "Desu"
I was mocking his blind patriotism, "INTERNET BADASS" attitude and additionally his apparently inapt language skills. so perhaps sarcasm wasn't the best choice or words, but it should be blatantly obvious I was mocking him none the less
I like the way you can base a persons entire language skills on how they type on a forum when trying to type quickly to get the point across. I had no idea I was being audited. Once again, do not presume to know my skills, excellent or poor, either way, this is no place to pass effective judgement. My personality on the other hand, go for it, but before labelling me as a "INTERNET BADASS", perhaps you should realise that I did not lay threats on anyone, I simple accepted ones that were laid on me.


Quote from: "6strings"
I don't need to read your post; it's clear to me that you have, in point of fact, missed the point of this site.
And there inlies the problem. You are willing to lable me before getting the facts.

Quote from: "6strings"
In all seriousness, look at the scenario; you'd call him a coward if he does anything but fight you to the death (over a challenge that was offered laden with irony, nontheless, but I digress) so assuming he will not fight you, he will be branded a coward no matter what he does, lying, however, gets you to, I don't know, go down to the old wharf and get knifed by Scabby, the sea-hand who's suffering from ocean madness, or walk into any other, equally amusing, scenario.

The real reason that getting into such a huff about this challenge is stupid is simply that the challenge didn't even seem to be offered in ernest, but offered ironically to illustrate the idiocy of the scenario.
Indeed I see your point, but the fact still remains that one should never bluff about anything unless they are prepared to have their bluff called, regardless how amusing the irony.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 06:53:09 PM »
Quote from: "Desu
don't worry about it, the internet is, after all, Serious business.
I got the sarcasm in that one.  :lol: See here is where it gets interesting. You two are assuming that when I take up on this challenge, that I'm for real. Maybe I am, or maybe I've just been a puppeteer seeing how long I can pull your strings...
Who knows, I could be deadly serious, or my willingness to fight could be just as empty as his threat.

?

EnragedPenguin

  • The Elder Ones
  • 1004
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 06:58:14 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
My willingness to fight could be just as empty as his threat.


I really hope it is. Otherwise you've just gone and made a complete ass of yourself
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2006, 07:01:18 PM »
Quote
My personality on the other hand, go for it, but before labelling me as a "INTERNET BADASS", perhaps you should realise that I did not lay threats on anyone, I simple accepted ones that were laid on me.

You would have a valid point, but it has already been pointed out that said challenge was ironic in nature, but yet you continue to persue it.

About your language skills, people judge other people all the time consciencely or otherwise, a large basis for this judgement would be the person's dialect and accent, and also their choice of words. So it's only natural on the internet that people will judge you based on your grammatical and spelling skills and mannerisms. Granted your errors are usually subtle in nature (using 'there' when 'their' is needed comes to mind), I hyperbolized them for the sake of making a sardonic hyperbole.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006, 07:13:13 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
And there inlies the problem. You are willing to lable me before getting the facts.

I would normally chalk it up to a typo, but you did it twice so I feel obligated to point out the correct term is "therein lies" not "there inlies".

Also, to Desu and 6strings:
Quote
I look at this post and I don't see a scientist or an intellectual, I see a man with a heart.

I'd classify that as sardonic hyperbole.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2006, 07:14:46 PM »
Quote from: "Desu"
You would have a valid point, but it has already been pointed out that said challenge was ironic in nature, but yet you continue to persue it.
Yeah true, as previously stated, you're right, I do believe it was a bluff (or ironic amusement, call it what you want), but as I have also stated, one should not bluff unless they are prepared to have their bluff called.

Quote from: "Desu"
About your language skills, people judge other people all the time consciencely or otherwise, a large basis for this judgement would be the person's dialect and accent, and also their choice of words. So it's only natural on the internet that people will judge you based on your grammatical and spelling skills and mannerisms. Granted your errors are usually subtle in nature (using 'there' when 'their' is needed comes to mind), I hyperbolized them for the sake of making a, for lack of a better word, sarcastic/ironic/approiate literary term, statment.

Fair point. I'll give you that one.

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
Also, to Desu and 6strings:
Quote
I look at this post and I don't see a scientist or an intellectual, I see a man with a heart.

I'd classify that as sardonic hyperbole.


Thanks for clearing that up, previous post edited accordingly.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2006, 07:19:53 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
I'd classify that as sardonic hyperbole.
Well, don't you feel special now that you got to use a big word. Of course it would have just been easier to say "critical exaggeration". (I can use a dictionary too)

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2006, 07:27:20 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
Quote from: "Unimportant"
I'd classify that as sardonic hyperbole.
Well, don't you feel special now that you got to use a big word. Of course it would have just been easier to say "critical exaggeration". (I can use a dictionary too)

You'll be interested to know:
1) I didn't use a dictionary.
2) "Critical Exaggeration" is 3 letters longer than "Sardonic Hyperbole", and doesn't really mean the same thing.

That's the great thing about communication; you can use basic, general purpose words and get the idea accross, or you can take advantage of the depth of the language and really let someone know what is in your head.

A thesaurus might tell you "Happy" and "Euphoric" are the same thing, but the former is a mallet while the latter is an ice pick. To dumb down the language is to dumb down the message.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
That's the great thing about communication; you can use basic, general purpose words and get the idea accross, or you can take advantage of the depth of the language and really let someone know what is in your head.

That's the funny thing about this post, you just contradicted yourself. Communication is a two way street. Send/Receive. If the person at the other end doesn't understand what you are talking about, it's not communication, it just making noise. You could type in chinese for I care, it wouldn't make a difference. Why is it that some people (usually those that are try-hard "Intellectuals") think that using big words is good communication? Good communication is "really letting someone know what is in your head" which doesn't work if they don't understand what you are saying. Good communicators don't use big words, they modify their language based on their audience.

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2006, 07:36:36 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
Quote from: "Unimportant"
That's the great thing about communication; you can use basic, general purpose words and get the idea accross, or you can take advantage of the depth of the language and really let someone know what is in your head.

That's the funny thing about this post, you just contradicted yourself. Communication is a two way street. Send/Receive. If the person at the other end doesn't understand what you are talking about, it's not communication, it just making noise. You could type in chinese for I care, it wouldn't make a difference. Why is it that some people (usually those that are try-hard "Intellectuals") think that using big words is good communication? Good communication is "really letting someone know what is in your head" which doesn't work if they don't understand what you are saying. Good communicators don't use big words, they modify their language based on their audience.

he acutally does have a point here, even if its not entirely applicable in this situation.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2006, 07:53:38 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
Quote from: "Unimportant"
That's the great thing about communication; you can use basic, general purpose words and get the idea accross, or you can take advantage of the depth of the language and really let someone know what is in your head.

That's the funny thing about this post, you just contradicted yourself. Communication is a two way street. Send/Receive. If the person at the other end doesn't understand what you are talking about, it's not communication, it just making noise.

You seem to be of the opinion that there are multiple levels of language, that meaning and context change to suit your proficiency. I don't believe that. Language is what it is, and just because you choose to limit your use of it does not change the substance of it.

I've always looked at language as being similar to mathematics, and here is another example of a situation where that comparison applies. Math can be rudimentary - addition, subtraction, multiplication, division - or complex - calculus, trigonometry, everything. Just because you limit yourself to addition, however, doesn't mean I'm wrong when I say cos(0) = 1. And just because you don't care about math doesn't mean it's acceptable for you to claim 2+2=5.

You can't dumb down math to facilitate addition, and you can't dumb down language to facilitate communication. You can choose to stick to the easy stuff, but you're going to have a hard time explaining differential equations if you only use addition.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2006, 08:07:31 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
You seem to be of the opinion that there are multiple levels of language, that meaning and context change to suit your proficiency. I don't believe that. Language is what it is, and just because you choose to limit your use of it does not change the substance of it.

I've always looked at language as being similar to mathematics, and here is another example of a situation where that comparison applies. Math can be rudimentary - addition, subtraction, multiplication, division - or complex - calculus, trigonometry, everything. Just because you limit yourself to addition, however, doesn't mean I'm wrong when I say cos(0) = 1. And just because you don't care about math doesn't mean it's acceptable for you to claim 2+2=5.

You can't dumb down math to facilitate addition, and you can't dumb down language to facilitate communication. You can choose to stick to the easy stuff, but you're going to have a hard time explaining differential equations if you only use addition.
Mate, you're either taking the piss, or you are a wanker. If you can't dumb down language to suit your audience, why do we not talk like you have been to our children in Kindy? They wouldn't understand and would therefore learn nothing. The very fact that you fail to see this proves your inability to communicate. Communication is not about how well you can show you know the language, it's about how well you can use it. It's great knowing what a mathematical theory is, but if you don't know how to apply it to a given scenario in real life, it doesn't mean shit. Watch a speach by any successful politician or saleman, they do not use big words. They use the words that get the point across. If they are dealing with one demographic of people, they will use one type of language, whereas they would change to a different type of language to suit and audience of a different demographic. You can sit there and cry about the fact that people don't have a grasp of the language and look at yourself in your own admiration, but the fact of the matter is, that's not communication, that's just vocabulary. Communication is getting the point across, and if you can't do that, the words are useless. Once again, it would be like me going to China, speaking english and then blaming them for not understanding what I'm saying. Language may very well be much like mathematics, but communication certainly is not. Communication is about interpersonal relationship, not about a text book list of words and their meanings.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2006, 08:23:30 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
Watch a speach by any successful politician or saleman, they do not use big words. They use the words that get the point across.

No, the best of them use the right words. A salesman doesn't knock on your door and say "ME SALESMAN YOU BUY DICTIONARY YOU LEARN BIG WORD BE SMART WIN LADY", even though that would certainly "get the point across".

Quote
If they are dealing with one demographic of people, they will use one type of language, whereas they would change to a different type of language to suit and audience of a different demographic.

This kind of behavior sounds awfully patronizing.

Quote
You can sit there and cry about the fact that people don't have a grasp of the language and look at yourself in your own admiration, but the fact of the matter is, that's not communication, that's just vocabulary. Communication is getting the point across, and if you can't do that, the words are useless.

Look in this very thread a few pages back; Desu was making fun of you, but between he and 6strings, could not come up with the proper way of "Getting the point across" about exactly what literary device he had used. Is this where your "big words aren't communication" theory comes in? it just so happened that the idea they were trying to express was best communicated by a "big word". Sure there are lots of cases where a small word will do just fine, but there are just as many cases where a "bigger" word is better. If you wanted to tell someone about that supremely blissful rush you're feeling, sure "happy" would suffice. But is that really what you're trying to tell them? Wouldn't euphoric be better?

This isn't "I'm disinclined to aqcuiesce" means "I don't wanna", this is Sardonic Hyperbole when nothing else adequately describes the idea.

I'm about to lose power (hell of a storm going on), so that's going to be it.

Remember, though; it's not embellishment, it's just refusing to dilute.

*

Desu

  • 742
  • yaranaika.
THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2006, 08:29:36 PM »
Quote
I'm about to lose power (hell of a storm going on), so that's going to be it.

there looks to be a storm fast approacing my area, too.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2006, 08:50:03 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
No, the best of them use the right words. A salesman doesn't knock on your door and say "ME SALESMAN YOU BUY DICTIONARY YOU LEARN BIG WORD BE SMART WIN LADY", even though that would certainly "get the point across".

No it wouldn't because the person would be concentrating on their lack of verbal skills instead of what they are selling. A good salesman will use a language according to the person they are trying to sell to. If they are in an upper class area, they will use a more complex language to suit the generally more educated demographic of the occupants. If in a lower class area, they will obviously do the opposite. Trust me, I used to be a salesman, and quite a good one at that, and have done HEAPS of study in communication methods. (not language.... communication)

Quote from: "Unimportant"
This kind of behavior sounds awfully patronizing.
People relate to those similar to themselves better than those of a different demographic. Been proven time and time again. By speaking someones language, you are not patronising them, in fact, using bigger words on someone who does not understand them would do that. You are simply "fitting in".

Quote from: "Unimportant"
Look in this very thread a few pages back; Desu was making fun of you, but between he and 6strings, could not come up with the proper way of "Getting the point across" about exactly what literary device he had used. Is this where your "big words aren't communication" theory comes in? it just so happened that the idea they were trying to express was best communicated by a "big word". Sure there are lots of cases where a small word will do just fine, but there are just as many cases where a "bigger" word is better. If you wanted to tell someone about that supremely blissful rush you're feeling, sure "happy" would suffice. But is that really what you're trying to tell them? Wouldn't euphoric be better?

Yes, only if the person at the other end understood. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, communication requires both ends of the conversation to understand. If they don't BOTH understand, communication does not occur, regardless of how much you want it to.

Quote from: "Unimportant"
This isn't "I'm disinclined to aqcuiesce" means "I don't wanna", this is Sardonic Hyperbole when nothing else adequately describes the idea.
There is a lot of other things that explain it, you just have to use your brain instead of a dictionary.

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2006, 02:10:29 PM »
Quote
There is a lot of other things that explain it, you just have to use your brain instead of a dictionary.

I think I'm starting to see your point about communication having to cater to the lowest common denominator. Tell me, is there a better way I could have said:
Quote from: "Unimportant"

1) I didn't use a dictionary.

?

THE BET TO SETTLE THIS ARGUMENT
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2006, 04:26:02 AM »
lols on this thread. Stop throwing pies at eachother.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0