the

• 45 Replies
?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2006, 08:05:32 PM »
Quote from: "Marshy"
theres no need for a FE forum, the FAQ outlines the theory and all "evidence". true or not, i dont see the point of dividing th eFAQ into individual topics.

The FE forum isn't there for the purpose of dividing the FAQ into individual topics, it's there to discuss flat-Earth beliefs without RE interference, regardless of their existance in the FAQ.

As for the name of the forum, I think "Flat Earth Believers" would do fine, though it's open to suggestions, of course.

Also, with regard to who can see it/post in it, I've made an introductory post based on what appeared to be the current idea for the forum, stating therein that REers can see the forum but not post there. However, allowing the more established RE members to post wouldn't be horrible, so long as their posts are made to further the FE discussion (pro-RE arguments about the FE ideas to be made in the General area). And, as Cinlef already said, there could be technical difficulties I'm not aware of, prohibiting us from allowing viewers who cannot post. If this is the case, we'll have to think of something else, which will likely be the allowing of established members to join, but disallowing pro-RE posting.

--Chal

the
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2006, 08:40:34 PM »
When I came across this site it reminded me of the "lesbian chatroom senerio".
Lets say someone makes a lesibian chatroom where homosexual women can chat.
But what happens here is a bunch of guys get this "bright idea" that they will pretend to be women to engage in racy conversations.
As time goes by, horny men have taken over the population and they all become duped by their own joke, still thinking their in the lesbian chatroom.

Here we have a website for the FEers and the curious but instead its been overrun by REers who only want to mock the FE view and think there so clever by registering and preaching to the FE community on how moronic they are.

So I am very much for a FE only section. This should be a place where FEers can come together and the curious can understand FES.

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2006, 08:45:35 PM »
Quote from: "Euclidean"
When I came across this site it reminded me of the "lesbian chatroom senerio" [Rest cut for length.]

Hm, interesting analogy, though surprisingly accurate. :shock:

--Chal

the
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 06:55:57 AM »
But what happens here is a bunch of guys get this "bright idea" that they will pretend to be women to engage in racy conversations.
As time goes by, horny men have taken over the population and they all become duped by their own joke, still thinking their in the lesbian chatroom.

Here we have a website for the FEers and the curious but instead its been overrun by REers who only want to mock the FE view and think there so clever by registering and preaching to the FE community on how moronic they are.

So I am very much for a FE only section. This should be a place where FEers can come together and the curious can understand FES.

Wow. You are DEFINATELY not proving my stereotype that FE'rs believe it "to be different".
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

the
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 04:16:09 PM »
Is the new category always going to block uninvited visitors?  Isn't it possible to allow anybody in, just not allow any REs to post?
ooyakasha!

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »
Quote from: "Knight"
Is the new category always going to block uninvited visitors?  Isn't it possible to allow anybody in, just not allow any REs to post?

You should be able to see it already, try going to it again.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

the
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »
Yeah it works now.
ooyakasha!

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 04:28:50 PM »
Ok good, you had me worried for a second there.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

?

pspunit

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »

It hasn't been overrun. How many insulting threads can you find outside of "Angry Ranting"? I personally count zero. The round-earthers here are generally here because they are curious, I'd say. Hell, maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I'm getting. The trolls that do come around every so often are banned and their posts are deleted pretty quickly.
Three people of different nationalities walk into the bar. Two of them say something smart, and the third one makes a mockery of his fellow countrymen by acting dumb."

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 12:28:29 AM »
Quote from: "pspunit"
How many insulting threads can you find outside of "Angry Ranting"? I personally count zero.

True, though to be honest, I have often moved threads that are naught but mindless insults into that forum, whose description contains something like "Mindless insults here please."  I would guess that other mods do so as well.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

the
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 04:48:54 AM »
I think there should be a Round Earth forum too, to discuss evidence for the round earth, to keep this discussion balanced.
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 10:15:46 AM »
Quote from: "Marshy"
I think there should be a Round Earth forum too, to discuss evidence for the round earth, to keep this discussion balanced.

I thought of suggesting that, but then quickly realized how foolish it'd be. Most of the internet is pro-RE, and there are plenty of places to discuss it besides the Flat Earth Society.

--Chal

the
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 10:42:11 AM »
If you let me post in there, I have actually had quite alot of ideas to prove that the Earth is flat (I'm still a round alearther though), and I wouldn't even talk about Round Earth there, though I'm not a very good member yet (only joined a week ago).

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 01:07:37 PM »
Quote from: "Chaltier"
Most of the internet is pro-RE,

Not the least example of which is this forum.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 05:53:16 PM »
Quote from: "lizardogre"
If you let me post in there, I have actually had quite alot of ideas to prove that the Earth is flat (I'm still a round alearther though), and I wouldn't even talk about Round Earth there, though I'm not a very good member yet (only joined a week ago).

Well, I'm currently thinking of opening the forum to some REers, so long as they post within the rules defined therein. I've asked for feedback on the idea on the mod forum, so I'm waiting to hear what the others think before doing this. If this is changed, I'd expect the admission requirements to be something along the lines of:

I: Must have participated in ~x number of debates in which you have argued pro-FE (mock arguments don't count).

II: Must agree to post within the rules of the believers' forum. All posts that break the rules will be deleted.

III: Must apply to the board moderator(s) and be approved. Even if conditions I and II are met, you may be turned down if the moderator(s) has doubts about your ability to follow to the rules of the believers' forum.

(Flat Earth believers may have any or all of these requirements waived at the discretion of the moderator(s). Any or all of these are, naturally, subject to waiving for any board member by the administration.)

It's a bit lonely with only three members (one of whom rarely posts, another who's on holiday, and myself), so I'm hoping to get some such thing working soon. Any ideas for additional conditions or alterations to them would be nice, also. Speaking of which, Unimportant, check your PM box when you get the chance.

Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "Chaltier"
Most of the internet is pro-RE,

Not the least example of which is this forum.

Too true. :shock:

--Chal

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
the
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 01:42:26 AM »
Okies, well, with no responses from either forum, I'll go ahead and change that.

Any REer who's shown reason and fairness, has debated pro-FE at least once, and wishes to take part in the new forum, PM me.

And with that, perhaps this thing'll get off the ground. :)

--Chal