Why did you come to this site? and other questions...

• 124 Replies
?

I am not Tom Bishop but I can't prove it

• Do you like my new alias? ;)
Re: Why did you come to this site? and other questions...
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2007, 05:03:52 PM »
Hold it, time out...don't you guys all think you are taking this way too seriously?  My God, people chill out.... maybe it's time to admit the truth? :P

Taking what too seriously?

This flat earth vs round earth discussion.  It's not the end of the world you know, regardless of who "wins" this discussion.

What if I told you I came here to play devil's advocate and see how far I could take flat earth theory?  Or are you guys just SOOOOOOOOOO convinced that I am Tom at this point that the truth wouldn't even go through your head?

I never think anyone is Tom but Tom Bishop.  I don't see why he would need alias's.  There are dozens of trolls on these forums, the odds of it being Tom who researches like mad and (almost) always posts intelligently is low.

Do you even think a "Tom Bishop" exists?

Have you ever wondered why a site for flat earth people have moderators who don't believe in it?  Do you think a flat earther would allow a nonbeliever to police the site?

I don't know the answers to these, but I'm just asking.  Do you guys wonder?

My gut feeling is the joke is on us.  But that's what makes this all so much fun.  You don't know who's who and whether they are for real, etc.

In my opinion, it's really about testing what your beliefs are (real and made up) and seeing if they can stand the rigors of debate.  I am still floored by how steadfastly all of you believe in what you believe in.  It's definitely a sign of youth.  The older you get the more you realize you don't know.

Anyway, I was only planning on debating this for a week, so Tom will have to carry on without me.  It's been fun.

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »
Indeed I do think Tom exists.  I have no reason to doubt he does, just like I have no reason to seriously doubt the world to be round.

?

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2007, 05:13:32 PM »
Indeed I do think Tom exists.  I have no reason to doubt he does, just like I have no reason to seriously doubt the world to be round.

Why would a flat earther who believes in a government conspiracy, who believes you cannot directly attack the conspiracy head on, use his real full name and post his picture on the site?  I wouldn't.  Would you?

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »
There are plenty of FE mods. TheEngineer and Dogplatter, who both post arguments that aren't complete crap.

I think a lot of people know they will never convince a FE'r the world is round. I'm sure what originally attracted all of us was when we first saw the site, noted people's crazy beliefs and felt the urge to swear at them and tell them they're idiots. But then I got hooked because it's fun seeing what people believe in. I don't care if people believe the earth is flat, but I find it fun to show them why it can't be. That's my opinion

So TruthSeeker - you're a toss. That's also my opinion
It was decided that Tom's abuse of his suspiciously acquired mod powers was too much to let continue.  His account was deleted.

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2007, 05:16:57 PM »
Why would a flat earther who believes in a government conspiracy, who believes you cannot directly attack the conspiracy head on, use his real full name and post his picture on the site?  I wouldn't.  Would you?

If you stand for what you believe than you have no reason not to.  Although I've never heard him say that was his real pic, only his real name.

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »

As Tom himself has said in the past - the conspiracy lets this site remain because it makes out FE'rs to be twats. It only makes us RE'rs believe FE is crazy (and its proponents). It would arouse suspicion if the government were to close it down.

I don't believe in a conspiracy anyway, but this is pretty obvious to me.
It was decided that Tom's abuse of his suspiciously acquired mod powers was too much to let continue.  His account was deleted.

?

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2007, 05:29:11 PM »

If you stand for what you believe than you have no reason not to.  Although I've never heard him say that was his real pic, only his real name.

Even if your life is in danger?  If I believed in the conspiracy, I would make myself as anonymous as possible on the Internet.  If I believed that flat earth theory is the truth and that the government doesn't want people to know about it, I would keep myself hidden as much as possible so I can avoid being on the radar.  I wouldn't publicly announce my name and my identity.

Again, these are just questions.  Don't you guys ever wonder?

?

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »
There are plenty of FE mods. TheEngineer and Dogplatter, who both post arguments that aren't complete crap.

I think a lot of people know they will never convince a FE'r the world is round. I'm sure what originally attracted all of us was when we first saw the site, noted people's crazy beliefs and felt the urge to swear at them and tell them they're idiots. But then I got hooked because it's fun seeing what people believe in. I don't care if people believe the earth is flat, but I find it fun to show them why it can't be. That's my opinion

So TruthSeeker - you're a toss. That's also my opinion
I've seen them argue both ways.  The point is you can't be sure of anything on here.  And yet, you guys go on and on as if you know everything.  That's what so funny about the whole thing.  Whoever created this site is a genius.

And the funniest thing was that you all thought I was Tom.  And I bet some of you still do.

Oh boy, this has been great... Thanks everyone!

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2007, 05:33:43 PM »
Even if your life is in danger?  If I believed in the conspiracy, I would make myself as anonymous as possible on the Internet.  If I believed that flat earth theory is the truth and that the government doesn't want people to know about it, I would keep myself hidden as much as possible so I can avoid being on the radar.  I wouldn't publicly announce my name and my identity.

Again, these are just questions.  Don't you guys ever wonder?

No I don't wonder. Becuase if you believed this then everyone you spoke to would think you were a crackpot. The government would have more to gain from letting you live and rave about FE than kill you.

Here is a table to help you understand.

DON'T KILL CRAZY FE'R                           KILL CRAZY FE'r
1. FE'r says CONSPIRACY!                      1. FE'r says CONSPIRACY!  
2. People say "you're a dickhead"             2. Governement kills FE'r
3. Less people believe in FE and              3. Some people begin to think maybe there is
    RE'rs are turned off by the dickhead.       a conspiracy
4. Everyone lives happily ever after         4. Not everyone is happy

See? Which one would you pick?

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2007, 05:36:09 PM »
I've seen them argue both ways.  The point is you can't be sure of anything on here.  And yet, you guys go on and on as if you know everything.  That's what so funny about the whole thing.  Whoever created this site is a genius.

And the funniest thing was that you all thought I was Tom.  And I bet some of you still do.

For fuck's sake who cares??? Were all hear for a bit of fun. No one here thinks it matters which way if these people believe what they want. If they do they are as stupid as you.

NOTE WELL:

I don't give a shit that we can't be sure. Doesn't mean squat. People post stuff I find silly or funny, and gives me a chance to test my own knowledge and try and answer. It's ALL A BIT OF FUN.

One question before I finish ranting:
How many friends do you have?

?

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »

For fuck's sake who cares??? Were all hear for a bit of fun. No one here thinks it matters which way if these people believe what they want. If they do they are as stupid as you.

NOTE WELL:

I don't give a shit that we can't be sure. Doesn't mean squat. People post stuff I find silly or funny, and gives me a chance to test my own knowledge and try and answer. It's ALL A BIT OF FUN.

One question before I finish ranting:
How many friends do you have?

Lots.  And you are a fucking asshole.

?

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »
Notice how quiet it got all of a sudden?

I wonder how long it's going to take before I get banned?

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2007, 05:46:40 PM »
My gut feeling is the joke is on us.  But that's what makes this all so much fun.  You don't know who's who and whether they are for real, etc.

Perhaps the joke is on you, TruthSeeker, and I actually really like you and your debating style. I was just offensive earlier becuase you are SO good at arguing the FE I want you off the forum.

Or maybe I think you are just trying to make yourself feel smart by pointing out the fact that none of us can know anything for real. We all know that all ready - some of just trust other people. I personally trust humanity.

Which do you believe? According to your theory you can never know if I'm for real or not, so perhaps you should also hold your tongue before insulting me.

Just a thought.

?

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »

Perhaps the joke is on you, TruthSeeker, and I actually really like you and your debating style. I was just offensive earlier becuase you are SO good at arguing the FE I want you off the forum.

Or maybe I think you are just trying to make yourself feel smart by pointing out the fact that none of us can know anything for real. We all know that all ready - some of just trust other people. I personally trust humanity.

Which do you believe? According to your theory you can never know if I'm for real or not, so perhaps you should also hold your tongue before insulting me.

Just a thought.

Blah, you think I actually believed in all that?  I was just playing devil's advocate.

SO FUCK YOU

PS.  By the way, I trust people too, but too many things don't fit together here... so I take everything with a grain of salt in this forum.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:52:33 PM by Interstellar Vacuum Cleaner Debunker (formerly TruthSeeker) »

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2007, 05:49:58 PM »
hahaha that's better...no more airy fairy shit.

truce? or enemies?

?

« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2007, 05:54:43 PM »

truce? or enemies?

I don't know you.  I'm not going to go to sleep at night worrying about this.  You were just being rude.  There are plenty more out there like you.  At least you're just on the Internet.  If you were at work, it would be more of a problem.

?

« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »
Damn, you can hear a pin drop... so when am I going to get banned?

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »

truce? or enemies?

I don't know you.  I'm not going to go to sleep at night worrying about this.  You were just being rude.  There are plenty more out there like you.  At least you're just on the Internet.  If you were at work, it would be more of a problem.

Well that's good, I wouldn't want you losing sleep. Just being rude? I was being VERY rude. Truth is I'm a young person, very bored and procrastinating. Sorry if I came across rude...but regardless of whether or not you believe what you were saying, it was kind of inevitable someone would be rude to you. Just be thankful it was me, I'm a softy compared to some of these other RE hardnuts. Anyway I think this thread is over...I'm glad you aren't Tom - it would have detracted from his charm.

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2007, 06:03:16 PM »
You won't get banned, you're not annoying enough.

?

« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2007, 06:07:44 PM »

truce? or enemies?

Well that's good, I wouldn't want you losing sleep. Just being rude? I was being VERY rude. Truth is I'm a young person, very bored and procrastinating. Sorry if I came across rude...but regardless of whether or not you believe what you were saying, it was kind of inevitable someone would be rude to you. Just be thankful it was me, I'm a softy compared to some of these other RE hardnuts. Anyway I think this thread is over...I'm glad you aren't Tom - it would have detracted from his charm.

Yes, it's always bound to happen on the Internet.

Tom will carry on.  And I hope he'll be able to convince lots of people that the earth is flat. Who knows, maybe he can convince me for real someday.  ;)

Anyway, this was really just a test to see if I can argue something so absurd and I succeeded.  There is another forum I'm on where people know about what I'm doing here, and they were commenting on just how poorly people debate on here.  Maybe I should give a few tips before leaving.  Or should I just get lost? lol  I could give pointers to both REers and FEers. 

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »
Give us your pointers if you really want. But don't expect many people to follow them - there are a lot of unintelligent people here.

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »
I have some questions for all of you, including both round earth theorists and flat earth theorists.  What made you seek out this site?  What propelled you to come here?  How did you even find out about it?  And what makes you keep coming back?  Since most round earth theorists are so convinced that the earth is round and that flat earth theorists have gone off the deep end, I think this is fair to ask.

From what I've gathered so far, round earth theorists believe in these fundamental truths:

1. Truth can only be found by consensus.  You cannot rely on yourself alone since you can be deceived.  What the majority constitutes as evidence is proof.  What the minority constitutes as evidence is an illusion.
2. Humans can create reliable devices which can come up with truths that humans alone cannot.
3. Truth is ever changing.  With more reliable formulas and computers, previous truths are discarded and replaced by new truths.

Now, since you guys picked apart what I considered my fundamental truths, I think it is only fair that I pick these apart.  (By the way, let me know if I got the above fundamentals wrong, according to your view.)

If I cannot rely on myself alone to determine the truth and have to rely on what the majority thinks, then what about this: Christianity is the one true religion.  Why?  Because there are more Christians in the world than any other religion.  Here is the breakdown:

1) Christians - 2,116,909,552 (which includes 1,117,759,185 Roman Catholics, 372,586,395 Protestants, 221,746,920 Orthodox, and 81,865,869 Anglicans)
2) Muslims - 1,282,780,149
3) Hindus - 856,690,863
4) Buddhists - 381,610,979
5) Sikhs - 25,139,912
6) Jews - 14,826,102

And...

a) Others - 814,146,396
b) Non-Religious - 801,898,746
c) Atheists - 152,128,701

http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeography/a/popularreligion.htm

Now of course these numbers should be questioned, as this comes from a government source (the CIA!).  Not to mention we are not told how they came up with these numbers.  But let's for argument's sake assume that these numbers are correct.

So why doesn't science proclaim that Christianity is the one true religion?  After all, the majority believes in it.  Also, shouldn't Biblical truths then override truths that science comes up with?

Now about the second point... humans can create devices which are more truthful than they are.  What if one day we were able to create artificial intelligence to rival man, and this machine came to the conclusion that humans are a threat to the universe and should be wiped out?  Is it then justifiable for the computer to systematically destroy the human race?  And going back to the first point, if these computers were able to convince the majority of humans of the validity of their proofs, then doesn't this make it out to be true?

As for the last point... since truth is not fixed and rock solid, then how can you even argue about what is true and what is not?  Something might be discovered tomorrow that renders everything you know today to be false.  What's even the point?

Anyway, I would like you round earth theorists to answer these questions please, if you can without degenerating into calling me stupid or an imbecile or saying I shouldn't be born.  Let's keep it civil for once.

And let me say once more, I am not Tom.  But I guess going back to the last point, since truth is ever changing, if more people on here believe I am not Tom, then at that point I am no longer Tom.  ::)

I'm going to shock everyone by going back on topic...

First of all, I came to this site because I was curious to see what arguments anyone could possibly come up with to explain a flat earth. And I have to say, I'm impressed - the theory is far more ludicrous than I could have possible imagined!

Now, about your first point:

1. Truth can only be found by consensus.  You cannot rely on yourself alone since you can be deceived.  What the majority constitutes as evidence is proof.  What the minority constitutes as evidence is an illusion.

I certainly don't believe the majority. The fact that most people believe in a round earth has nothing to do with it - the irrefutable weight of scientific evidence does. For example, most American's don't know that Mercury is the closest planet to the sun. I know that it is, therefore I don't believe the majority. Also, I am an atheist. Most of the people on earth are Christian. I am not Christian. Therefore, I am not following the majority. I don't believe the minority (you) because of the ludicrous nature of your argument which is based on no real evidence.

2. Humans can create reliable devices which can come up with truths that humans alone cannot.

A device does not come up with a truth on its own - a human will provide it with evidence and it will do the calculations and come to a conclusion. A human could have performed those same calculations - it would have taken a lot longer, but it's possible. As for your AI scenario, the invention of artificial intelligence is so improbable we may never have to worry about that  ;)

3. Truth is ever changing.  With more reliable formulas and computers, previous truths are discarded and replaced by new truths.

Truth is not ever changing - our understanding of the truth is. What changes is beliefs that are not grounded in fact. We used to believe that the atom was a solid little ball. This was because we did not have the capabilities to prove or disprove this - it was just an assumption. As we became capable of digging deeper into the atom, we learnt more and more. The atom was the same shape through this - our understanding of what was inside it changed. Our knowledge that the earth is round is grounded in fact, not speculation, and therefore it cannot be proven wrong. Our knowledge of it may be advanced, but it will always be round.
Quote from: Steve Jones
An energetic, all-inclusive and amusing account of man's impressive capacity for self-delusion. Every creationist should read it.
Quote for truth.

?

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
Give us your pointers if you really want. But don't expect many people to follow them - there are a lot of unintelligent people here.

lol  Okay, I think I'll just get lost.  Later!

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2007, 02:09:18 AM »
Bugger I missed all the fun and now he's gone :( And btw, to be banned all you gotta do is go off topic and piss off the mods, I would know :(
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2007, 02:22:51 AM »
Hahaha you sure did miss the fun.
It was fun.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »
Bastards. How dare you have fun without me. That'll teach me to go out and get a life, not doing that again!
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2007, 02:31:24 AM »
He wasn't there, and becuase I insulted him he kind of tossed off all his veil as an impassive and inquiring mind and insulted me back. hehehe, swearing always gets them in the end.

Still, I could have used a hand. Too bad Engy, next time, next time. We'll scare off some weird new person together.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2007, 02:33:54 AM »
Yeah I noticed that. But I was about to come up with the theory that he wasn't Tom, but was actually his slightly less intelligent lover. Too late for that now *sigh*

But actually I'm not keen on scaring off weird new people, because they might turn out to be weird cool people, y'know, like a certain Gayer did

« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2007, 02:47:48 AM »
What, yourself? Were you a weird person?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2007, 02:49:15 AM »
Yeah pretty much. And I had never been called a troll before I came here, I was quite upset.