What would it take to make you stop believing in FET?

• 61 Replies
?

Megaman

• Winning all the forums
Re: What would it take to make you stop believing in FET?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
I'm going to come out and say that I'm not an FET proponent. I'm a physicist and it flies in the face of, well, basically everything I know. I'm not here to make fun, I'm not here to incite anger, I'm here to ask what specific evidence would you, personally, accept that would shun your beliefs in FET? If someone proved to you that the moon were actually ~240000 miles away instead of 3000, would that do it? If someone were to take you into orbit and you personally saw that you could only see ~1/2 of the planet's landmass in one go, would that do it? If neither of those, what would?

Thanks for your time.
If the proponents of Round Earth Theory could provide me with any proper, verifiable evidence for their theory I would consider it. Unfortunately, I've been asking RE'ers for years and I've yet to get any evidence.
There is plenty but it always gets ignored. Th ISS live stream is an example. And many topics in the debate section.

Here's some other bits of evidence that I'm sure FE'ers will ignore.

1). The weight of an object varies slightly with location and altitude.

2). Atmospheric is thicker at the equator than at the poles.

In the current FE Theory neither of these are possible.

In RE both are not only possible but also explained by the theory.

?

burt

Re: What would it take to make you stop believing in FET?
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »
Despite LolaBunny's mockery and closed mindedness, TFES is actually open to all theories, both conventional and alternative, to describe the physics of the Earth and the universe. 

The question as to what would it take to convince me that Earth is spherical is a little hard to answer.  It would be like me asking you what it would take to convince you that red is really green.  You could try to convince to me that the moon landings were real, I suppose.  Or, you could prove to me that the government has never lied to me.  I really do not know for sure what would convince me of anything that I have not been convinced of before now.

Going into orbit, if possible, would definitely be fun though, no matter how unlikely.  However, seeing only a portion of the Earth would not likely convince me that the Earth is a globe, considering that it is common knowledge that only a portion of the Earth is lit by the sun at any given time.

So it is a matter of semantics, then?