Poll

What is the source of the FES map in the FAQ?

FES
13 (38.2%)
Elsewhere
21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

The source of FES's map

• 220 Replies
?

Thork

Re: The source of FES's map
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
The sun is 3000 miles above earth. The stars and planets are 3100 miles above. They are all of about the same altitude above earth.

Sphere

• Earth is ROUND
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
The sun is 3000 miles above earth. The stars and planets are 3100 miles above. They are all of about the same altitude above earth.
So you're saying other planets are smaller than Earth?

?

Thork

« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »
My God yes. They are tiny. Haven't you ever seen them? Just tiny specks of light in the sky.

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
Of course, the distances from Earth to the Sun, the Moon other planets have been measured and don't mach FE claims.

How dit you calculate those numbers?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

?

Thork

« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
Of course, the distances from Earth to the Sun, the Moon other planets have been measured and don't mach FE claims.
No, because those measuring made the monumental mistake of assuming the earth was round.

How dit you calculate those numbers?
Simple Trigonometry

Sphere

• Earth is ROUND
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
My God yes. They are tiny. Haven't you ever seen them? Just tiny specks of light in the sky.
The other planets are millions of miles away, that's why they seem smaller. What are you? From 1492?

?

Thork

« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
The other planets are millions of miles away, that's why they seem smaller.
That seems a little far fetched to me.

Sphere

• Earth is ROUND
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
How do you explain why planets are only visible in the night sky at certain times of the year?

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »

Argumentum ad ridiculum, there.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

Thork

« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
How do you explain why planets are only visible in the night sky at certain times of the year?
The same was as RET does. Because they don't have a very high albedo and the sun's light makes it impossible to see them during the day. As for at certain times of the year, I'm going to dispute that. Planets are not only visible at certain times of the year.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
Planets are not only visible at certain times of the year.

Really? Could you see Saturn in April then?
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

Thork

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »

Apparently that was the best time to see it this year.
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/give-me-five-minutes-ill-give-you-saturn

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/give-me-five-minutes-ill-give-you-saturn

Correct. Score a point. And will you be able to see it six months later?

?

Thork

« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »

Correct. Score a point. And will you be able to see it six months later?
Are you suggesting that Saturn disappears from view every October?

zarg

• Saudi Arabian inventor of Dr. Pepper
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
In short the answer to the OP is that some of our maps are from various internet sources, and some of them are originals.

Which ones are originals?

Why can't we distort maps as well? If I want to make the polar regions more prominent, I'll use a Mercator. Distorting maps is just an aid to help the reader.

"Polar regions"? I thought there was only one pole, you blasphemer. Anyway, what would the purpose of your distortion be? A Mercator's distortion is spherical. How do you reverse-engineer it to result in an equally flat shape? What does a non-distorted map look like?
Quote from: Cat Earth Theory
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

?

Thork

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
If you'd only bothered to read a few posts further back.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=54320.msg1347275#msg1347275

"Polar regions"? I thought there was only one pole, you blasphemer.
The south pole is the rim of the earth. ::)

A Mercator's distortion is spherical. How do you reverse-engineer it to result in an equally flat shape? What does a non-distorted map look like?
It looks like a large disk with the continents laid out on it. If I'd asked you what it looks like, you would have said "a globe" so don't expect any more of a comprehensive answer.

zarg

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »
If you'd only bothered to read a few posts further back.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=54320.msg1347275#msg1347275

Are those the only two? In what way are they original? Describe your process.

The south pole is the rim of the earth. ::)

No, the rim of the earth is the rim of the earth. A pole is a fixed point.

A Mercator's distortion is spherical. How do you reverse-engineer it to result in an equally flat shape? What does a non-distorted map look like?
It looks like a large disk with the continents laid out on it. If I'd asked you what it looks like, you would have said "a globe" so don't expect any more of a comprehensive answer.

I didn't ask you what the earth looks like. I asked you what a non-distorted map looks like. Read: Do you have one?
[Lord Wilmore's writings] are written the way a high schooler thinks an educated person should sound like.  The pathetic pseudo-academic writing can't hide the lack of any real substance.

?

Thork

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
Are those the only two?
No, there are dozens. I have made several, PizzaPlanet did, Trekky has ... lots of us.

In what way are they original?
There is no other version. We created them ourselves. They aren't copies. We made them.

Describe your process.
I sat at my desk and cracked open a chilled bottle of beer. I looked at the time and decided I could draw a map of earth for FES. I opened an art program and made a save file. I then drew a map of earth, uploaded it to an image hosting site and allowed people like you to enjoy my efforts.

I didn't ask you what the earth looks like. I asked you what a non-distorted map looks like. Read: Do you have one?
No. Do you have one? No. We'll call it a draw.

zarg

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
There is no other version. We created them ourselves. They aren't copies. We made them.

If they are RE distortions of RE maps, they are not original works.

Do you have one?

Yes, we call it a globe. Your turn.

?

Thork

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »

How dare you? Those maps absolutely do not exist anywhere but on our forum and the hosting sites we uploaded to. They are absolutely original. If an artist makes a collage from other bits of art, is their work not original?

Do you have one?

What a hypocrite! ::)

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »

How dare you? Those maps absolutely do not exist anywhere but on our forum and the hosting sites we uploaded to. They are absolutely original. If an artist makes a collage from other bits of art, is their work not original?

Do you have one?

A globe is a map.

"A map is a visual representation of an area"

Many maps are static two-dimensional, geometrically accurate (or approximately accurate) representations of three-dimensional space, while others are dynamic or interactive, even three-dimensional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map

So does FE have a map without distortion?

zarg

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
If an artist makes a collage from other bits of art, is their work not original?

You referred to yourself as a cartographer, not an artist. Which is it?

Do you have one?

Yes. A globe is an undistorted RE map.

Do you have an undistorted FE map?

?

Thork

« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
A globe is a map.
Yes. A globe is an undistorted RE map.

And a globe has no distortion? How then do you map an oblate spheroid onto a sphere with no distortion?

So does FE RE have a map without distortion?
Do you have an undistorted FE RE map?
GTFO with your double standards.

zarg

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
Let me put it this way:

All distorted RE maps are distortions of the globe map. What are your distorted FE maps distortions of?

?

Thork

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »
Let me put it this way:

All distorted RE maps are distortions of the globe map. What are your distorted FE maps distortions of?
A disk. Look, gather together what is left of your dignity and slip out before more FErs smell your humiliation. You lost. I know you thought you had me, but I lined you up about 10 posts earlier. You both said the exact same thing, it was predictable what you would say.

You don't have an undistorted map. We don't. So that argument clearly doesn't prove earth can't be flat. This thread belongs to FE now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:33:46 PM by Thork »

zarg

« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
A disk.

I asked you for a map. A globe is a map. "A disk" is not a map. Here are some globes: http://store.randmcnally.com/globes.html - now show me your undistorted disk map.

You lost.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Danth%27s_Law

?

Thork

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
A globe can be a map but a disk can't? Have you been drinking?

You are going around in circles. It is most ungracious. Just acknowledge that despite having the entire weight of the world's scientific community behind you, you still managed to lose another debate to me. Its ok. I think you knew it wouldn't be that easy. Its late here. Good night.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:38:16 PM by Thork »

zarg

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
A globe can be a map but a disk can't? Have you been drinking?

I didn't say a disk can't be a map. I'm asking you where this mythical disk map is. I have shown you the globe map which is the basis for RE distortions. Can you show me the disk map which is the basis for FE distortions?

?

Thork

« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
Look in our FAQ. There is a disk map there. It has distortions ... but hey, so does a globe. ;)

zarg

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
No. For the third time, the globe is the base map. It has no distortions in cartographic terms. It is not a projection. You cannot have a distorted map by definition unless you have a non-distorted base. What is your base?