ANOTHER EXPERIMENT: Gravity Doesn't Exist

• 2289 Replies

JJA

• Math is math!
Re: ANOTHER EXPERIMENT: Gravity Doesn't Exist
« Reply #1230 on: March 19, 2021, 09:31:49 AM »

I've done all of YOUR work for you so far, being the only one of us to actually perform your experiments.

Nobody but you knows how your theories work, so it doesn't matter how hard I work if you can't explain them.

Put some effort in, don't be so lazy.
How about you put some honest effort in.

I did.  How about you put any effort at all?  Or just admit you aren't capable of performing such a simple experiment?
You're about at the olwe of my shoes in terms of being anything meaningful.

Put some effort in Mr nasty or be overlooked.

LOL, the guy who refuses to do his own experiments, keeps demanding people explain stuff to him instead of looking it up himself... is complaining that others are not putting in any effort.

What have you contributed here that's meaningful?  Nothing.  Seems like everyone else does all the work here, you just complain.

« Reply #1231 on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »
In order to do a jigsaw you have to have all the pieces.  Until you provide us with any of the pieces of your jigsaw, how are we supposed make any sense of it?  It's like someone telling me that have made a jigsaw but not telling me where I can get hold of one to try it.

Air as you know (hopefully) is made up of the molecules of various gases.  Iron is a metal and not a gas.  Given that gases don't appear to have any magnetic properties, how the heck can magnetic fields be caused by the air?  That is all we want to know.
Ok let's go through a few things.
Be the detective and log everything down for your jigsaw.

Aluminium does not conduct magnetism, right?
It doesn't act like a magnet.

However, if you wrap aluminium foil around a magnet you can still attract of repel another magnet.

Ok, so basing that on the aluminium foil covering one magnet, how does that magnet manage to attract or repel?

All I want to know from you is, how does that magnetism go through the foil.
If we want to get somewhere then I need you to be honest.

So youve just admitted that this magical unseen magnetism and unseen (what we call) gravity are able to pull in a predictable direction, even through other objects.
How or why - who knows.
But it can go through solid objects and "impermeable" membranes.

So its not a property of air.

Moving on!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:56:28 AM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #1232 on: March 19, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
Ok let's go through a few things.

However, if you wrap aluminium foil around a magnet you can still attract of repel another magnet.

Ok, so basing that on the aluminium foil covering one magnet, how does that magnet manage to attract or repel?

By being honest I assume you mean agree with you, yes?  Because in your view it seems if I don't agree with something you say or claim then I'm not being honest.  Right?  Well sorry I will continue to put over that is true according to my own mind regardless of whether it is something you agree with. That way I'm being honest with myself.

Conductivity is a property of electricity not magnetism.  At least according to my definition of conductivity anyway.  I have heard of electrical conductivity but not magnetic conductivity. Well that's not strictly true but magnetic conductivity is a story for another day (and thread). Let's cover the basics first.

So a magnet does not give a you know what whether it is wrapped in aluminium foil or not.  Aluminium is completely invisible to a magnet and indeed its associated magnetic field.

If you take a piece of copper wire and twist it to form a coil then likewise no magnetic field.  BUT if you now pass an electric current through the piece of copper wire, then you DO get a magnetic field.  I was told about this (or shall we use the word indoctrinated) but then I was also given a piece of copper wire and did the experiment myself. And guess what... it worked!  Switch off the current and the magnetic field disappears!  I had just made myself an electromagnet. Now unlike a bar magnet which is a permanent magnet,  a coil of copper wire with a current passing through is known as a non-permanent magnet because the magnetic field is only present when there is a current passing through the wire.  We call it a B field.  F=Bil Where B is the strength of the magnetic field, i is the current passing through the wire and l is the length of the coil. So increase either the current in the wire and/or the length of the coil and you will increase the strength of the magnetic field.  You can test all this in any school or college physics lab.

Then another bit of magic.  Taking that same piece of copper wire in the form or a coil but this time without an electric current passing through it, I attached an ammeter to both ends of the coil.  Nothing.  Not a sausage.  BUT then I took a bar magnet and passed it through the coil. What do you know, the ammeter showed me there was a current passing through the wire!  Wow..  it was almost as if there is a link between magnetism and electric currents. 

There, I have just given you an introduction to electromagnetism!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:48:39 PM by Solarwind »

JackBlack

« Reply #1233 on: March 19, 2021, 01:45:06 PM »
You're not explaining anything in that post. Nothing.
Quit with the pathetic deflection and address how air causes magnets to have the observed polarity.

I did explain You just decided to wave it all aside and carry a Jackblack hit of saying I didn't explain.
No, you explained nothing. That is because you have no way to explain it.
You came close to providing an explanation, suggesting the magnetism is a flow of air, but simple logic shows that isn't the case. You then continually deflect from these simple issues and claim you have already explained, all while being unable to explain.

I'm trying to communicate my story but I'm being shot down before each attempt by people who have no clue about it and also have no real clue about magnetism.
No, you are being "shot down" by people who have observed how magnets work and understand that your claims do not match that.
You are being asked about specific issues that your claims raise, and you continually to avoid them, continually deflecting.

If you want to communicate how you think magnets work, stop asking us for explanations are start addressing the massive issues.
Start trying to piece together your jigsaw, and show how air fits with the observed polarity of magnets.

It is extremely hypocritical and dishonest of you to continually demand we explain how magnets work from our understanding while you also claim we need to understand from the basics and not get any of our own "jigsaw pieces".

That is why I haven't went into the actual explanation of how magnetism actually works.
Instead I am focusing on YOUR jigsaw.
The only pieces I have been bringing in are those from reality, such as the observed polarity of magnets.

If you are claiming that this piece doesn't fit in with your jigsaw, you are saying your jigsaw is not of reality, that it is pure fantasy with no connection to reality.

You want us to do YOUR jigsaw remember.
That means no bringing in OUR jigsaw.
That means YOU need to explain how magnetism manages to pass through the foil, especially given that air can't.
If you want to try providing your jigsaw you need to stop asking us about our own.

So can you explain how magnetism gets through but air can't, when you claim that air is based upon magnetism?

JackBlack

« Reply #1234 on: March 19, 2021, 02:11:29 PM »
Scepti has been trying, by dialectic, to get you to recognize that "fields" are not defined and that magnetism is currently a mystery to all physicists as a result.
Cut the crap.
Scepti has baselessly asserted that everything is magically caused by his magic air. That is not claiming it is a mystery. That is claiming mainstream science is completely wrong and that it is magically caused by air.
Massive issues have been pointed out with this and he continues to deflect.
So what he has been trying to do is continually avoid the fact that he cannot justify his bold claim that everything magically uses air.
He uses whatever dishonest tactics he can to avoid admitting this.

Are you just trying to prop him up because you share a hatred of science and the RE?

Suppose for a second, that Scepti is right (benefit of the doubt, required to earnestly evaluate and not merely "debunk")
I did, and showed how that would produce results fundamentally different to what is observed in reality.
That means he is not right.

And honestly evaluating and showing that it is wrong doesn't mean we are merely debunking.

There is something VERY small, that is a component of our air, that is responsible for magnetism. There is an abundance of it on one side (pole) of a magnet and a deficiency on the other.
Which would then mean you have an attractive pole and a repulsive pole.
Things would be attracted by 1 pole and repelled by the other.
When you bring 2 magnets together, the attractive sides would attract one another and the repulsive sides would repel one another.

Back in reality, we have 2 poles which are distinguished by the interaction with other poles.
The decision to call them north and south is arbitrary.
Magnetic materials are attracted to both poles.
When you bring 2 magnets together, like poles repel and opposite poles attract.

Putting aside that this is a vastly more sound conception than what we currently have
No it isn't, as it has no connection to reality.
You may as well claim it is magic pixies.
So no, this is not sound at all.

At least mainstream physics actually matches what is observed in reality. I would say that makes mainstream science is far more sound.

As I described earlier in this thread, no experimental validation or invalidation of this hypothesis is possible
And as I explained earlier, and yet to actually be challenged on by explaining why that is wrong, experimental invalidation of this hypothesis is entirely possible.
This hypothesis predicts specific results regarding the polarity of magnets.
So a simple test is one I described involving 3 magnets which clearly establishes the fact that like poles repel and opposite poles attract rather than magnets having an attractive and repulsive side.
This shows his model is wrong.

Physics does not take place within the mind, i.e. thought experiment is in no way experiment.
A key part of physics does take place within the mind, and this allows thought experiments to be experiments. I know you really hate that fact.
You use your mind to make predictions about what the hypothesis indicates should happen.
This allows you to make up an experiment.
You can then use your mind and previously obtained observations to see if you already have all the results you need for that experiment to determine the result of the experiment.
Or you can show that the hypothesis is internally contradictory.
So you can use thought experiments to invalidate a hypothesis without needing to actually carry out the experiments.

« Reply #1235 on: March 19, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
There is something VERY small, that is a component of our air, that is responsible for magnetism.
Which is?
As I described earlier in this thread, no experimental validation or invalidation of this hypothesis is possible until we can measure and manipulate the IV (the proposed infintessimally small thing)
IV?  As in intravenous or as in the Roman numeral for 4?
Putting aside that this is a vastly more sound conception than what we currently have (magic "fields" within and comprised of nothing)
Physics is clearly not your cup of tea is it.  As you said.  A field in physics is a region of space where a particular type of force can be felt.  Electrical, magnetic and gravitational fields. There's nothing magical about fields.

If you sat in the bath full of water and placed your hand over the open plug hole, you feel a massive force...right?

From a distance from a plughole you feel no force. As you move closer you feel some force and closer still, more and more until your hand is pushed into the low pressure void.
If that pipe was straight under that plug hold you would trap air above the water going down and below your hand. An air lock....right?

If someone below was to try and push against that water to close that airlock, what would happen?
It would repel...right?

I'll see if you want to go with this and if not don't waste any more of your time.
Now think about a magnet.

That is all very interesting.  Which part tells me what property of the atmosphere causes magnetism?  That is the question I actually asked you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:56:39 PM by Solarwind »

« Reply #1236 on: March 19, 2021, 04:48:09 PM »

Physics does not take place within the mind, i.e. thought experiment is in no way experiment.

Did jack1234 say theortical physics isnt a thig?

« Reply #1237 on: March 19, 2021, 06:26:08 PM »
Bickering will always be a part of debate. If you can't hurt ridicule, then by a scratch, then nip. If a nip isn't having the desired effect, then slap and punch and pick up weapons...etc...etc.

You get my meaning.

If people don't follow a narrative then whatever force is in the armoury, must be used.

But it doesnt work.  That is clear.  NO one follows your narrative, no matter how much you fight, and you NEVER follow anyone else's narrative, no matter how much they push back. 

It is just the fighting.  No attempt at common understanding, no give and take.  Just fighting. 

Which is fine, but you shouldn't pretend you are doing anything other than just having a go at folks

« Reply #1238 on: March 19, 2021, 09:30:53 PM »
@Themightykabool

Kind of.  I'm no rational positivist, and all thought takes place in the mind.

However, hypothesis (speculation often misrepresented as "theory") without experimental validation/invalidation is called guessing.  You CAN guess right, but it is VERY unlikely.

« Reply #1239 on: March 19, 2021, 10:57:07 PM »
@jackblack (part 1 of 2)

Scepti has baselessly asserted that everything is magically caused by his magic air. That is not claiming it is a mystery. That is claiming mainstream science is completely wrong and that it is magically caused by air.

Or something in that air / something that that air breaks into.

The reason that scepti is asking you questions (dialectic) instead of providing direct answers, is so you will work out what they (scepti) mean on your own (from your side, as scepti is saying).  By asking you to explain how magnets work, you are supposed to realize that we don't know - no one does (perhaps scepti does!).  They are not so much saying that mainstream science is wrong, but (I think) expecting you to realize and admit that mainstream science doesn't have an answer at all (not a cogent one anyhow).  We can describe and manipulate magnetism (making it orders of magnitude more real than gravitation), however we do not know what it is, or what "fields" are.  There is good reason to suspect, as einstein did, that they aren't real at all.

He uses whatever dishonest tactics he can to avoid admitting this.

That is not what I'm seeing, however I can appreciate that it seems that way from your perspective (and could conceivably be the case).  I see them fully "admitting"/explicitly stating that it is the atmosphere, though I am not sure exactly what they are intending to say by that (perhaps that atomos and atmos are the same?  After all, it is only missing one letter and that is NOTHING for etymology).  They HAVE already clarified that "airtight" containers both keep things out (like oxygen) and are permeable.  Logically, if both statements are true, then they are likely/possibly conceptualizing something smaller than what we consider to be "air" (though still is, or is a component of it).

Are you just trying to prop him up because you share a hatred of science and the RE?

I'm only trying to bring clarity and focus to a largely disordered, antagonistic, and unproductive thread.  I know it is likely futile.  I love science in any case, and my intention is not to "get scepti's back".  As I've said before, I am just like the rest of you here - trying to understand what scepti is saying and from where/what they derive their conviction.

I did, and showed how that would produce results fundamentally different to what is observed in reality.
That means he is not right.

As I said, the hypothesis that scepti is forwarding (perhaps a conclusion, from their perspective - or even a validated hypothesis, though this would require experiment that has been omitted so far) can only be validated or invalidated by experiment (not discussion).  No experiment is possible until we better understand what that IV is, and how to manipulate it.  Seeing (interpreted from description) as no container known (or perhaps in scepti's view, possible) can keep these proposed infinitesimal things out - we have a significant hurdle to creating an experimental setup.  Hypotheses that can't be tested are just guesses.

And honestly evaluating and showing that it is wrong doesn't mean we are merely debunking.

This is true.  Scientifically speaking, we just can't be certain that it is wrong until we A, understand it thoroughly, and B, invalidate it experimentally.

It is my knowledge (and love) of science (the scientific method, in particular) that requires this rigor.

So then you agree that scepti's description is conceivable for magnets, but doesn't explain attraction of magnetic, but unmagnetized, materials to either pole?  I don't see this as a major issue when you think of the magnetic materials as many small magnets (that have the ability/freedom of motion to align and unalign themselves).  Have you ever seen the salt jump towards and away from the static?

You may as well claim it is magic pixies.

If they are not proposing something experimentally testable, you may well be right.  But we should reserve final judgement until that is clear.

So no, this is not sound at all.

It is more sound, at least potentially, because it talks of real/physical/tangible/POTENTIALLY empirical things.  It does not invoke "pixies" like "fields", which are both ill-defined and nonsensical (contrary to traditional / conventional physics).

At least mainstream physics actually matches what is observed in reality. I would say that makes mainstream science is far more sound.

That's the whole point.  What we have now in mainsteam science as an explanation for magnetism is a mere description of it.  We don't know what the magnetic field is or why/how it works.  We can talk about what it does, and some amount of how - but not why or what it truly is.

experimental invalidation of this hypothesis is entirely possible.

Well then it is a damn sight better than the pixies!

This hypothesis predicts specific results regarding the polarity of magnets.

I somewhat agree.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:04:20 PM by jack44556677 »

« Reply #1240 on: March 19, 2021, 10:58:57 PM »
@jackblack (part 2 of 2)

So a simple test is one I described involving 3 magnets which clearly establishes the fact that like poles repel and opposite poles attract rather than magnets having an attractive and repulsive side.

I see what you are saying.  Though in scepti's conception, attraction is not an option that has any available mechanism.  In their view, which as we've discussed - is perfectly sound and traditional in conventional physics, is that there is only push (repulsion/collision).  One pole has an abundance of "magnetons" around it, and the other a deficiency.

It is easy to imagine why the 2 "abundant" poles would repel (and do so more strongly the more you forced them together). 

It is likewise easy to imagine why the abundant pole and the deficient pole would attract, as the "magneton" is not merely in and around the magnet, but surrounding everything (a part of the atmosphere).  As the abundant pole exudes (perhaps, as scepti has talked about sieves/funnels) the deficient one readily accepts and the combined loop becomes one magnet, effectively.

It is a bit harder to imagine how the 2 deficient poles repel, though conceivably it could be because the more intense that deficiency becomes, the more the available "magnetons" in the room rush into the gap.  I agree I am stretching and speculating, but I am doing so in good faith and earnestly.

A key part of physics does take place within the mind, and this allows thought experiments to be experiments. I know you really hate that fact.

Einstein did a lot more bad things than JUST marrying his cousin.  Thought experiments are in no way experiments, and in the minds of non-experimenters it is nothing but poison.  Your fact is not only demonstrably untrue, it is religious in origin.  Nothing has ever been learned in science by "thought experiment".  Knowledge, in science, is only obtained through rigorous adherence to the scientific method, of which "thought experiment" is most certainly not a part.  Of course imagining and speculating is an important part of hypothesizing (since brute forcing by mere random guess, is often slower), but a hypothesis is nothing but a guess without the experimental validation/invalidation.  This is how science, which I care deeply about, works.

This allows you to make up an experiment.

Ideally.  Unfortunately many hypotheses cannot be validated or invalidated by experiment.  Which makes them scientifically useless (or worse, in the way - bias).

You can then use your mind and previously obtained observations to see if you already have all the results you need for that experiment to determine the result of the experiment.

It's all merely musing until you do real experiment.

Or you can show that the hypothesis is internally contradictory.

True.  There are, in fact, many more criteria that have been worked out to determine a valid hypothesis - but this is usually beyond the scope of discussions since so few people understand the bones of the scientific method (which doesn't include explicit criteria on what a valid hypothesis is).

So you can use thought experiments to invalidate a hypothesis without needing to actually carry out the experiments.

In a way, by the exception/caveat above - yes.  If you can demonstrate the hypothesis itself to be invalid, then there is little reason to perform a valid experiment on it.

In some ways, because it invokes the "magneton" - a theoretical (not confirmed to exist empirically) form of matter - we have already invalidated the hypothesis in the eyes of many physics departments.  It is interesting to note that had those rigorous criteria existed in newton's time, gravitation would never have made it into any textbooks and the reverend john michell would have been simply laughed at (if he had bothered to perform his observation, disingenuously/erroneously presented as an experiment today, at all).

JackBlack

« Reply #1241 on: March 20, 2021, 01:47:13 AM »
The reason that scepti is asking you questions (dialectic) instead of providing direct answers
Is to continually deflect from their complete inability to actually explain anything.
The questions he is asking is in no way addressing the issues that are raised, and this is his standard tactic of deflection.
Again, he baselessly asserts it is all caused by air, but then when massive holes are pointed out, he does whatever he can to try to run away from them.

If he wants to change his tune and instead claim no one has any idea how magnets work, including him, then he can try to ask questions about how we think it works.

That is not what I'm seeing
Where has he admitted that he cannot explain magnetism with air, or actually made any genuine attempt at addressing the issues raised?

It seems that that is not what you are seeing because you want to side with Scepti in your shared hatred for RE and science.

I'm only trying to bring clarity and focus to a largely disordered, antagonistic, and unproductive thread.
Yet you decide to attack those trying to make it productive and side with the one using whatever dishonest tactics they can.
If that truly was the case you would be trying to get Scepti to actually address the issues raised.

As I said, the hypothesis that scepti is forwarding (perhaps a conclusion, from their perspective - or even a validated hypothesis, though this would require experiment that has been omitted so far) can only be validated or invalidated by experiment (not discussion).
And as I explained, that strict view is wrong. This is based upon your irrational dislike of thought experiments.
We can easily make predictions from key parts of his model which simply do not match reality.
The experiments have already been carried out. We don't need to do them specifically to focus on his model.

Trying to plead ignorance to pretend no experiment is possible doesn't help either.

So then you agree that scepti's description is conceivable for magnets, but doesn't explain attraction of magnetic, but unmagnetized, materials to either pole?  I don't see this as a major issue when you think of the magnetic materials as many small magnets (that have the ability/freedom of motion to align and unalign themselves).  Have you ever seen the salt jump towards and away from the static?

No, I am saying it is conceivable for a force, but in almost every conceivable way, it does not match magnets.

The key thing I was focusing on with that statement is the interactions of 2 magnets, where reality has fundamentally different results.

It is more sound, at least potentially
And it is less sound, at least potentially.
How about instead of focusing on the potential, you focus on the actual.
It is not more sound.
It is not backed up by any evidence and is contradicted by plenty.

That's the whole point.  What we have now in mainsteam science as an explanation for magnetism is a mere description of it.  We don't know what the magnetic field is or why/how it works.  We can talk about what it does, and some amount of how - but not why or what it truly is.
Which is true of all the fundamental forces.
Ultimately you will always reach a point were you simply don't know.

experimental invalidation of this hypothesis is entirely possible.
Well then it is a damn sight better than the pixies!
No, because it shows it is false.
That means it is worse than the pixies, because it is quite difficult to show pixies don't exist.

JackBlack

« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2021, 01:47:45 AM »
attraction is not an option that has any available mechanism
That is pure semantics.
Yes, technically it wouldn't be attraction, instead it would be the air on either side pushing it. But that results in a macroscopic effect referred to as attraction.

In their view, which as we've discussed - is perfectly sound and traditional in conventional physics, is that there is only push (repulsion/collision).
I wouldn't say we've discussed it. You made baseless assertions, I explained why it is wrong, even giving simple examples, and you then left.
Conventional physics relies upon attractive and repulsive interactions. It is not simply all push.
Again, only having push/collisions only works for gas, and to a lesser extent fluids.

It is easy to imagine why the 2 "abundant" poles would repel (and do so more strongly the more you forced them together).
And I have no issue with that part at all. That is also likely when I pointed out the massive problem early on, Scipti ignored the other "deficient"/attractive pole and instead appealed to these "abundant"/repulsive poles.
It is trivial to show that these poles will repel.

But this causes issues for interactions with magnetic materials which are not magnets, raising the question as to why they are attracted to this pole rather than repelled by it.
For that, he switches to the other pole, where the flow causes things to be drawn towards it, and if something obstructs the flow, the difference in pressure (or in this case the abundance of magnetons) causes it to be force towards it. And at the more precise level, it would always be a gradient causing the motion.

It is likewise easy to imagine why the abundant pole and the deficient pole would attract, as the "magneton" is not merely in and around the magnet, but surrounding everything (a part of the atmosphere).  As the abundant pole exudes (perhaps, as scepti has talked about sieves/funnels) the deficient one readily accepts and the combined loop becomes one magnet, effectively.
One could actually conclude it could go either way, especially if you consider magnets of different strengths.
For example if you bring the abundant side of a strong magnet to the deficient side of a weak magnet, then the weak magnet can't accept enough and thus is pushed away.

It is a bit harder to imagine how the 2 deficient poles repel, though conceivably it could be because the more intense that deficiency becomes, the more the available "magnetons" in the room rush into the gap.
Except this runs counter to every other type of flow, such as vacuum cleaners, where the flow is so great it sucks up little bits of dust.
And you have an abundance on the other side trying to push in, pushing them together.
So them trying to rush into the gap, with them coming from all around, will simply push them together.

I agree I am stretching and speculating, but I am doing so in good faith and earnestly.
I wouldn't say trying to prop up a failed idea is acting in good faith.
You are making excuses to try to prop it up.

Thought experiments are in no way experiments
Repeating the same lie wont magically make it true.
Dismissing reality as religion does not magically make it untrue.

I have clearly explained why thought experiments are a key part of science.

It's all merely musing until you do real experiment.
You are entirely missing the point. The point is the results have already been collected by previous experiments.
You don't need to do more to test it.

If Scepti's model requires magnets to have an attractive pole and a repulsive pole, such that 2 attractive poles attract each other and 2 repulsive poles repel, you don't need to carry out a physical experiment to test this.
Plenty of people have already carried out physical experiments on magnets and we know quite well how they behave.
We can use that already known behaviour to show his model does not match reality.

That means we don't need to test it.

You don't need to carry out a physical experiment when the results for it are already known.
If you think it really needs to be done then go ahead, but carrying it out will not provide any new information.

In a way, by the exception/caveat above - yes.  If you can demonstrate the hypothesis itself to be invalid, then there is little reason to perform a valid experiment on it.
Or if you can demonstrate it is unsound.

Thought experiments rely upon already knowing what the results will be due to prior experiments or being able to show a contradiction based upon current theories to show these theories are incomplete. Or otherwise don't claim to actually prove anything.
You even tried to appeal to one yourself, you just didn't call it a thought experiment.

What Clickljama's sometimes presents as thought experiments are not thought experiments because he has no idea what the results would actually be and instead just assumes them. That means they are not thought experiments.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2021, 03:08:30 AM »

I've done all of YOUR work for you so far, being the only one of us to actually perform your experiments.

Nobody but you knows how your theories work, so it doesn't matter how hard I work if you can't explain them.

I did.  How about you put any effort at all?  Or just admit you aren't capable of performing such a simple experiment?

LOL, the guy who refuses to do his own experiments, keeps demanding people explain stuff to him instead of looking it up himself... is complaining that others are not putting in any effort.

What have you contributed here that's meaningful?  Nothing.  Seems like everyone else does all the work here, you just complain.
Ok little nasty, you have nothing much to say.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2021, 03:09:42 AM »
So youve just admitted that this magical unseen magnetism and unseen (what we call) gravity are able to pull in a predictable direction, even through other objects.
How or why - who knows.
But it can go through solid objects and "impermeable" membranes.

So its not a property of air.

Moving on!
Let me know when you want to engage.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #1245 on: March 20, 2021, 04:38:32 AM »

Ok little nasty, you have nothing much to say.

I have more to say than you do, as I've actually tested your ideas and found them to be false.  Have you done anything but complain, call people names, claim everyone is a nasty liar and demand others do your work for you?

« Reply #1246 on: March 20, 2021, 05:26:19 AM »
Let's go back to your analogy with water draining out of a bath.  How does that in any way provide us with information that explains how magnetism works?  I have a 'wet and dry' vacuum cleaner which allows me to suck up excess water off the floor.  Where ever I place the end of the hose in the pool of water I see water being sucked into the hose. Water nearest the hose moves quicker than the water further away from the hose.

In the same way if you see a crowd of people by a narrow gate the people near the gate move quicker than those near the back of the queue.

How does any of that help me to understand how magnetism works?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 05:28:01 AM by Solarwind »

JackBlack

« Reply #1247 on: March 20, 2021, 05:32:04 AM »
Let me know when you want to engage.
When do you want to engage?
Not just throw out a bunch of insults and deflect, or assert nonsense without justification, but actually genuinely engage, such as by defending your bold claims?

Because so far you are the nasty one refusing the engage in any form of honest, rational discourse.

Have you figured out how to explain the observed polarity of magnets yet? If not, can you be honest for once and admit you can't explain it and that there is no reason to think air causes magnetism?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1248 on: March 20, 2021, 06:11:04 AM »

I have more to say than you do, as I've actually tested your ideas and found them to be false.  Have you done anything but complain, call people names, claim everyone is a nasty liar and demand others do your work for you?
No wonder you get banned on the other site.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1249 on: March 20, 2021, 06:24:30 AM »
Let's go back to your analogy with water draining out of a bath.  How does that in any way provide us with information that explains how magnetism works?  I have a 'wet and dry' vacuum cleaner which allows me to suck up excess water off the floor.  Where ever I place the end of the hose in the pool of water I see water being sucked into the hose. Water nearest the hose moves quicker than the water further away from the hose.
Ok, you're familiar with how a drinking straw works...right.
You understand that you create a low pressure over the straw and the higher pressure air pushes the water in the cup and up that straw.
Are you ok with that?
If not then explain why and if you can. explain why this happens.

Quote from: Solarwind

In the same way if you see a crowd of people by a narrow gate the people near the gate move quicker than those near the back of the queue.

How does any of that help me to understand how magnetism works?
It helps because that's the funnel mindset.
Imagine two gates like you suggest.
Both gates are facing each other and both crowds are pushing towards those gates.

What happens?

They repel each other....right?

If you were to place one gate behind the crowd going into the other gate that thinned crowd would blend right in with the wider crowd and be pushed into towards the gate, creating what you see as an attraction.

Now think of the magnet itself holding extreme low /trapped pressure in it's (for analogy reasons) funnel.
Now create a push by allowing flow through the structure from high to low push (attract) to high against high (repel).

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1250 on: March 20, 2021, 06:25:15 AM »

Never with you.
Just go and bother someone else.

« Reply #1251 on: March 20, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
Ok, you're familiar with how a drinking straw works...right.
You understand that you create a low pressure over the straw and the higher pressure air pushes the water in the cup and up that straw.
Are you ok with that?
If not then explain why and if you can. explain why this happens.

Let's skip over the analogies shall we and get to the heart of the matter. There are lots of different sources of pressure and all we are doing is addressing how different types of pressure cause an effect which is similar to magnetism. What property do you think, specifically relating to iron - or more specifically iron atoms causes a bar magnet made from iron to be a permanent magnet? 

It is clearly something to do with iron because if I got a bar of copper or zinc or various other metals we would not get the same effect as if we use iron.  So what it is about iron that produces magnetism?  If I got two bars made out of gold for example and tried to get them to stick together or repel each other I wouldn't have much success.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:36:42 AM by Solarwind »

« Reply #1252 on: March 20, 2021, 01:38:16 PM »
Physics is not everybody's cup of tea.

Many in this thread are too busy playing apologist to earnestly engage in discussions about (theoretical) physics.

Scepti has been trying, by dialectic, to get you to recognize that "fields" are not defined and that magnetism is currently a mystery to all physicists as a result.  Einstein recognized that his "castle in the sky" (continuous fields / fields of any kind) may well be utter fiction towards the end of his life. We are NOT talking about wild or anti-conventional physics concepts here. 

Suppose for a second, that Scepti is right (benefit of the doubt, required to earnestly evaluate and not merely "debunk")

There is something VERY small, that is a component of our air, that is responsible for magnetism. There is an abundance of it on one side (pole) of a magnet and a deficiency on the other.

Putting aside that this is a vastly more sound conception than what we currently have (magic "fields" within and comprised of nothing), from a philosophical/physics perspective - the next step is to test the notion.

As I described earlier in this thread, no experimental validation or invalidation of this hypothesis is possible until we can measure and manipulate the IV (the proposed infintessimally small thing)

That should be the focus.  Physics does not take place within the mind, i.e. thought experiment is in no way experiment.

Funny that you insist that science should rely on experimental validation, whilst baseless stating that the idea that magnetism being due to some component of air is vastly more sound than what we know from real physics.  This has been tested, it was tested long ago, and countless times since. The enormous number of applications of magnetism/electromagnetism it's used for (not least the device you are using) demonstrate that we have a very good understanding of how it works.  And that has nothing to do with air. 

The independent variable you want to control in this case is very easy.  Do magnetic or electromagnetic forces change with air pressure?  No, they don't.  Magnetism and electromagnetism work just fine in a vacuum.    You can operate motors, solenoids, transformers, etc, etc, etc in a high vacuum with no impediment.  Some applications depend on operating in a vacuum, such as CRTs and mass spectrometers.

Supposing that anything scepti says might be right are the thought experiments here, not our scientific  knowledge of electromagnetic fields.

JackBlack

« Reply #1253 on: March 20, 2021, 01:42:37 PM »
Because he shows the FE is wrong?
Understandable.

Lots of religious sites, ban those who question rather than just accept doctrine.

Which is fundamentally different to a magnet, for the same simple issue of polarity you continually ignore.

How about this, we stop focusing on the drain and instead focus on the hose filling up the tub. As the water flows, it pushes things away.
But these magnetic things are drawn towards a magnet.

The low pressure side results in things moving towards the object. The high pressure side results in things being pushed away.
But that simply how a magnet works.

Never with you.
Just go and bother someone else.
Of course, you have no interest in engaging with someone who repeatedly clearly explains why you are wrong, in a way you cannot refute or rationally object to.
Grow up.

If your model of magnetism cannot deal with the polarity of magnets, it is DOA.

Again, magnets have 2 poles. Both poles attract paramagnetic materials.
For the interaction of 2 magnets, like poles repel each other and opposite poles attract.
This is backed up by so many observations it isn't funny.

But you claim the air magically funnels through it so you have a high pressure and low pressure side.
This means that the high pressure side is trying to push everything away as the air moves out. This would be a repulsive side, which would repel everything, including other magnets.
This also means the low pressure side would have the surrounding air push everything towards it, effectively attracting things towards it.

This means one side would attract materials and the other side would repel them. This already fails to match reality.
But when you start having 2 magnets interact you have bigger problems.
The 2 repulsive poles repel each other just fine, but the 2 attractive poles would attract each other as the air around them pushes them together.

Again, this shows quite clearly that magnetism is not caused by air.

Unless you can deal with this issue your claim is DOA.

« Reply #1254 on: March 20, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »
Because he shows the FE is wrong?
Understandable.

Lots of religious sites, ban those who question rather than just accept doctrine.

I wonder why it is that when you visit a FE forum you find several users who are actually RE believers while you hardly ever, if ever come across FE believers posting on the mainstream science websites. I guess FE believers don't like or feel safe straying outside of their like-minded comfort zones. The banning would be aimed at them in that case.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #1255 on: March 20, 2021, 02:25:12 PM »

I bet I can post over there without getting banned longer than you can. :)

« Reply #1256 on: March 20, 2021, 11:36:52 PM »
@solarwind

IV?  As in intravenous or as in the Roman numeral for 4?

Lol, it stands for independent variable and it is a required part of all experiments.  Sadly few people are properly educated on what the scientific method is, and the colloquial usages of experiment and hypothesis are incorrect.

A field in physics is a region of space where a particular type of force can be felt.  Electrical, magnetic and gravitational fields. There's nothing magical about fields.

The trouble is, that in the regrettably ongoing era of aether-mcarthyism, there is no space.  Something cannot act upon nothing.  It is absolutely anathema to all of physics, and the reason that no physicist worth their salt has ever been comfortable with newton's god-gravity (and fields in general. as I mentioned, einstein towards the end of his life became increasingly worried that fields were non-real).  Fields are made up of nothing (known, anyhow), in a medium of nothing.  This is not acceptable from the perspective of physics/natural philosophy. 

People who do not study the history of physics, cannot hope to understand it today.

« Reply #1257 on: March 20, 2021, 11:56:32 PM »
Funny that you insist that science should rely on experimental validation, whilst baseless stating that the idea that magnetism being due to some component of air is vastly more sound than what we know from real physics.

It isn't baseless.  It's factual.  There exists no mainstream explanation for a mechanism or composition of any type of "field" (magnetism very much included).  This is why scepti keeps asking for people to explain it themselves.  When they look inward for that knowledge, they will find it isn't there.  If they diligently look outwards (research), they will find that no such explanation exists at all - merely description.

And that has nothing to do with air.

Scepti is talking, from what I've interpreted - only they can confirm, about things in the air that are smaller than gas.  Things that can enter and exit an "airtight" (really, GAS-tight - gas is not the entirety of what we call "air" or "atmosphere" - there are many smaller things than that there!) container without issue.

The independent variable you want to control in this case is very easy.

No, it isn't and that is the trouble.  First, we need to understand what IT is - which we don't.  Only scepti can help clarify on that.  Scepti has made it pretty clear that it isn't gas (or not the atomic, usually diatomic, gas that we know and love).

THEN we need to be able to manipulate and measure it.  We can't proceed to experiment before we do both things.

Supposing that anything scepti says might be right are the thought experiments here

That's right.  And thought experiments that do not become actual experiments are a waste of time (and worse, prevent you from doing experiment / practicing real experimental science)

As I said, physics doesn't take place in discussion or inside the mind.  It takes place in objective manifest reality, by rigorous experiment.

« Reply #1258 on: March 21, 2021, 12:34:09 AM »
@jackblack

The questions he is asking is in no way addressing the issues that are raised, and this is his standard tactic of deflection.

The purpose of the dialectic is to encourage the student to learn for themselves / come to their own conclusions.  By asking the right questions, and having the student earnestly try to answer them on their own - the lesson is learned in a more impactful way (ideally) because the conclusion belongs to the student and was reached by them alone.

The request, which you and most (but not all) have ignored, to explain how magnetic fields actually work and what they are composed of (in the "mainstream" view) is to help YOU recognize that you lack answers for those questions.  By admitting that, you would be demonstrating earnest interest in evaluating scepti's ideas further.  As usual, your antagonistic approach is across purposes to learning and communication.

If he wants to change his tune and instead claim no one has any idea how magnets work, including him, then he can try to ask questions about how we think it works.

If scepti DIDN'T have any idea how magnets worked (as the rest of us do not), then why would we be interested in hearing more from them on the subject?  The admission you are requesting would unmake the conversation, and the need thereof.  It's silly (and based in ego/pride).

Where has he admitted that he cannot explain magnetism with air, or actually made any genuine attempt at addressing the issues raised?

They do not think you are worth their time conversing with, due to your attitude and approach.  They have said, effectively, that it is not gas, as whatever it is can enter and exit an "airtight" container.  There are many smaller things than gas in our air that are known to science - yes, some of which can absolutely enter and exit an airtight container (even without magic like quantum tunneling).  Your evident lack of earnesty and civility is the cause of the lack of "genuine attempt" to engage with the issues you have with understanding what has been said so far.  It's tit for tat.  If you don't show any genuine attempt to understand, why should they?

It seems that that is not what you are seeing because you want to side with Scepti in your shared hatred for RE and science.

You keep making this baseless claim.  I suppose you can continue to ignore my responses to it, but don't expect to learn anything!  I like science a lot, and have no strong feelings towards "RE" which has no impact on it (or any of human experience).

Yet you decide to attack those trying to make it productive and side with the one using whatever dishonest tactics they can.

I am not attacking anyone, it is across purposes to communication.  You should try to do the same!  It is worth the effort!

If that truly was the case you would be trying to get Scepti to actually address the issues raised.

You mean by asking them directly?  Or by constantly insulting and assuming that they are wrong (and stupid) at the outset like you do?

We can't force scepti to answer any questions, but perhaps a DIAlog could be encouraged by asking and answering questions in kind (they answer, you answer, they answer etc.).

We can easily make predictions from key parts of his model which simply do not match reality.

That MAY be, however it is not how we determine if a hypothesis is correct or not in the scientific method.  Hypothesis can ONLY be validated/invalidated by rigorous experiment (save for your raised caveat, of further criteria for "valid" hypothesis) and that is its sole function!

The experiments have already been carried out. We don't need to do them specifically to focus on his model.

In order for this to be the case, which I agree it could (that there already exist well established and repeated experiments that have tested scepti's hypothesis already), we would have to understand exactly what is being claimed is causing the magnetic "pressure", and how to both measure and manipulate it.  Currently we don't have that.  It seems clear that scepti is talking about something smaller than gas, and something that is STILL inside a low pressure chamber (no matter how low, and also has no difficulty exiting and reentering it either, when gas cannot).

Trying to plead ignorance to pretend no experiment is possible doesn't help either.

I'm just pointing it out (in a vain attempt to bring focus to a wildly unproductive thread).  We should be focusing on experimental evaluation of scepti's posit, or dropping it altogether (decking out, as scepti says).

I AM pleading ignorance as to scepti's true vision and conception of magnetism, as I am not sure they have made it entirely clear yet.  I am speculating and filling in the gaps a LOT on my own, but again - this is the purpose of the dialectic.

The key thing I was focusing on with that statement is the interactions of 2 magnets, where reality has fundamentally different results.

Did you read my speculative explanation of that?  What part of that potential description did you take issue with?  It is not certain that what scepti is describing is as you are interpreting it (as impossible... not a great way to go about evaluating something earnestly.  You can only "debunk" when plagued with the pre-existing bias that it MUST be wrong).

Which is true of all the fundamental forces.
Except push / collision, yes.  (don't zeno's paradox me on this, pedantry will not aid this conversation)

No, because it shows it is false.
That means it is worse than the pixies, because it is quite difficult to show pixies don't exist.

That's what I said.  It is a MUCH better hypothesis than pixies, BECAUSE it can be (according to you) disproven.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:44:15 AM by jack44556677 »

« Reply #1259 on: March 21, 2021, 01:37:20 AM »
@ blackjack

Yes, technically it wouldn't be attraction, instead it would be the air on either side pushing it. But that results in a macroscopic effect referred to as attraction.

The difference, in scepti's view at least (if not reality), is not semantic - it's actual.  It merely APPEARS to be attraction, but attraction is not a thing in reality.  In the exact same way that we do not "suck" liquid/gas/matter into straws or vacuums, and for the same reasons!  It is the push from the atmosphere doing the work, and our "sucking" merely creates a pressure differential that allows that.

Conventional physics relies upon attractive and repulsive interactions. It is not simply all push.

Not traditionally, no.  And even in "modern" conventional physics there is no mechanism for it.  It is taken on faith, as many other things are.

Again, only having push/collisions only works for gas, and to a lesser extent fluids.

What scepti is describing, potentially, reconciles and allows for it to work for everything.  At least, that is what it appears they are attempting to do / have already concluded.

It is trivial to show that these poles will repel.

It is trivial to IMAGINE that they will POSSIBLY repel.  It is also trivial to imagine that they won't.  In imagination, all things are possible.  In reality, very few of our imaginings bare any resemblance to reality (yes, even when the conceptualizations with formalized mathematical description are useful).  This is why experiment is not optional in the scientific method.

But this causes issues for interactions with magnetic materials which are not magnets, raising the question as to why they are attracted to this pole rather than repelled by it.

Potentially, yes.  Though if you imagine the magnetic materials (which are not magnetized, at the outset) as small magnets themselves, it is easy to imagine how they align themselves properly on either side of the magnet and effectively become a part of it (as they do in the current mainstream conception, albeit for different supposed reasons).

For that, he switches to the other pole, where the flow causes things to be drawn towards it, and if something obstructs the flow, the difference in pressure (or in this case the abundance of magnetons) causes it to be force towards it. And at the more precise level, it would always be a gradient causing the motion.

This could be a problem, though I don't think we necessarily have a solid enough grasp on what scepti is thinking to be certain it IS.

One could actually conclude it could go either way, especially if you consider magnets of different strengths.
For example if you bring the abundant side of a strong magnet to the deficient side of a weak magnet, then the weak magnet can't accept enough and thus is pushed away.

Exactly!  In imagination all things are possible.  There is GOOD reason that experiment cannot be substituted for "imagination"/"musings"/"thought experiment" (or observation, or anything else) in the scientific method.  It's to figure out what is ACTUALLY happening (ideally), not merely what we imagine is.

Except this runs counter to every other type of flow, such as vacuum cleaners, where the flow is so great it sucks up little bits of dust.
And you have an abundance on the other side trying to push in, pushing them together.
So them trying to rush into the gap, with them coming from all around, will simply push them together.

I see what you are saying.  However, in this case - the proposed thing is so small that it cannot be fully "sealed" out.

In the case of one vacuum cleaner, we both understand that the atmospheric pressure is forcing its way in creating the flow and the illusion that the vacuum is "sucking".

In the case of 2 vacuum cleaners, I do agree that when the two vacuum hoses touch they will appear to attract one another until they lock together creating a sustained "airtight" (not really, but go with it) chamber which the air outside cannot penetrate.  This may not be analogous/applicable to scepti's description because the magnets themselves may already be saturated with as many magnetons as they can hold.  As a result the "free magnetons" rush into the space between the magnets causing repulsion where we would expect the illusion of attraction.

I wouldn't say trying to prop up a failed idea is acting in good faith.

I wouldn't say that describing it as a failed idea (which was your clear preexisting bias from the outset) simply because you can IMAGINE flaws in it is acting to earnestly evaluate / understand / test it.

Repeating the same lie wont magically make it true.

That's true.  I am simply stating facts. 

You can't hope to discuss, evaluate, or practice science if your definitions are wrong.  As I've said, and you cannot refute, thought experiment is ONLY useful, in a scientific context, to generate hypothesis.  Hypothesis can ONLY be validated or invalidated through experiment, and this is semantically inarguable.  It is a part of the scientific method, and you have no obligation to learn the correct definition of it.  You can remain incorrect if you wish.

I have clearly explained why thought experiments are a key part of science.

You have been miseducated to that effect. Thought "experiments" are not experiments, and they are not a part of the scientific method (i.e. NOT science).  This isn't an arguable point.

The point is the results have already been collected by previous experiments.

So you keep saying with undue certainty.  But the proposed magneton hasn't been expounded upon thoroughly enough to even begin imagining an experimental setup.  You are in too much of a hurry to avoid doing any science.

If Scepti's model requires magnets to have an attractive pole and a repulsive pole, such that 2 attractive poles attract each other and 2 repulsive poles repel, you don't need to carry out a physical experiment to test this.

Not certainly, no.  You perhaps need to understand a new mechanism, or new property - but nothing is irreconcilable just because you have a thought that suggests it might be.  We learn through experiment in science.  Not merely musings while we sit on our asses.

That means we don't need to test it.

My whole point is that currently we can't test it (experimentally, the only "test" that exists in science).  We would both have to understand more thoroughly what the proposed magneton is and how to measure and manipulate it.  We have none of that, and only your failed "thought experiments"/musings.

Or if you can demonstrate it is unsound.

It is true that we could potentially find the hypothesis not valid at the outset, but only with rigorous criteria to do so first - which vary depending on source.  As I said, most physics dept's would declare the current formulation of hypothesis (mine, not scepti's) invalid because it invokes theoretical things (things not known to empirical science), namely the magneton.

You even tried to appeal to one yourself, you just didn't call it a thought experiment.

It was merely for demonstration.  It doesn't remove the necessity for experimentation, and never could.  It would be unscientific, by definition.  A deviation from the scientific method.  I am not denying the use of "thought experiment" to generate hypothesis - but that is the extent of its scientific use.

What Clickljama's sometimes presents as thought experiments are not thought experiments because he has no idea what the results would actually be and instead just assumes them. That means they are not thought experiments.

This is why we test our conceptions ("thought experiments" if you must) against reality by experiment.  I can appreciate that if the experiment has already been carried out, that we can reference that experiment.  In this case, that is plainly not possible until more detail is given.  That's the whole point, which you seem committed to missing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:54:36 AM by jack44556677 »