got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company

• 290 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2022, 12:54:56 PM »
I don't have chlorine in my tap water, I have a private well. Anyway, she lived for a couple years after I got her, so it wasn't sudden death. I was trying to slowly lower the ph to cichlid levels, and I added some crushed coral, but now I know that many cichlids that have been bred for the market are already used to higher ph levels (like between 7 - 8) and don't actually need to have it more alkaline. Also, I am certain that I messed up the nitrate levels that she had been accustomed to, because there was like an inch of uneaten food and poop in the gravel when i got her. Maybe the cleanliness didn't kill her, but I think I shortened her life. I don't know how long she would have lived in all that shit, though.

Now I've got three fish from the river, two of them are warmouths, which is a type of sunfish, but idk what the third fish is. Maybe some type of bream or tilapia. I also have two albino cory cats, and one snail. The snail came from the river, and I think it is a Florida apple snail, but it could be a mystery snail.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2022, 02:39:49 PM »
When I saw my first 'mystery snail' I thought it was sooooo cute. Then there were literally hundreds. And when cleaning out the filter I could shake dozens of the bastards stuck inside it off.

I stopped feeding the fish for a while and they seemed to have found an appetite for snails.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2022, 03:21:49 PM »
I've had this one for about a year and it has never laid eggs, so I assume it is male. I thought mystery snails were hermaphrodites but the internet says they aren't. idk, I love the snail. It scoots around the tank and sometimes hangs out in the bubbles.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2022, 11:24:47 PM »
This reminds me, I need snails.

My pond is fresh water, but I live a few 100 meters from the sea. So I dont have an endless supply of critters to fill it.
The last snails I had committed suicide by crawling into my filter pump inlet. It must have been great effort as I had multiple diffusers to stop that from happening.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2022, 07:51:51 AM »
My smaller tank is so much easier to keep clean because I can do a partial water change and vacuum the gravel at the same time, AND I don't have fish in it that poop a lot. This bigger tank has a massive pleco who poops SO MUCH. I have one of those powerful gravel vacuums that you hook to the sink, but I was hoping I could do like weekly gravel vacuums with my smaller gravel/siphon thingy. It doesn't seem to be powerful enough to pick up the pleco poops.  >:(

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2022, 09:04:16 AM »
I have a 5m long pond, that has a 600 litre compartment with settlement section, open cell filters and UV filter. I need to clean the filters about once every 2 months. I also have quite a few live plants as well as aerobic microbe filters that help balance the nitrates. Cant vacuum my floor now because one of the koi decided to drop some eggs all over the place, but normally do this once a month. Its actually pretty easy as I just couple a pipe to the filtration system and vacuum away.

Glass tanks are harder because you need to keep the sides clean. I have a rain water collection system as well, so I just top up with that. But I never actually replace water.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2022, 10:30:24 AM »
I just ordered some stuff so I can optimize the hang on back filter. Really I'm just going to replace the bag of carbon with a bag of ceramic tube thingies. It's a Fluval 70, so it is kinda already optimized, except I don't need the carbon layer because there's no medication in the tank. So I will just replace that part with more bio stuff. The way that filter is set up it has a sponge on bottom, then a bag of carbon, then a bag of bio balls. I think more bio filtration is good. I also have a sponge filter on the other end of the aquarium. I may be overkilling the filtration, idk.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2022, 12:09:21 AM »
I just ordered some stuff so I can optimize the hang on back filter. Really I'm just going to replace the bag of carbon with a bag of ceramic tube thingies. It's a Fluval 70, so it is kinda already optimized, except I don't need the carbon layer because there's no medication in the tank. So I will just replace that part with more bio stuff. The way that filter is set up it has a sponge on bottom, then a bag of carbon, then a bag of bio balls. I think more bio filtration is good. I also have a sponge filter on the other end of the aquarium. I may be overkilling the filtration, idk.
I dont think you can overkill biofilters. Your just removing stuff that the fish dont like.
Fish naturally live in water with loads of plant and bacteria that clean up the water, so the more the merrier.

Carbon filters are really over rated.

In my view, the more filtration you have, the less often you need to clean it. So just makes the whole deal easier to work with. I used to have a system that was too small and required weekly cleaning, it sucked. So now I put a massive system down that requires cleaning a few times a year. If im happier, my fish are happer

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2022, 07:17:43 AM »
I need to work on my 20 gallon hang on filter. I've just been using it with the cartridges that are made for it, but that was because I didn't know any better, and I have a box full of them and don't want to waste the money I already spent. I already stopped using the carbon packs that come with it.   I do have a sponge filter running in that tank, too. When I need to get more supplies for that tank I'll order a sheet of cut to fit coarse sponge and try that. I think a good one can be reused for years. I was thinking about putting some of the ceramic rings in there, but I read that you're supposed to put them behind physical filtration, so I'd have to figure something out.  Oh, I think I might have a small sheet of course sponge already. I'm going to have to dig through my stuff!

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2022, 12:29:05 AM »
Yes, make sure the ceramic rings are behind the sponge filtration, otherwise they block up with muck. They are supposed to allow aerobic bacteria to grow and munch on the nitrates. So never clean them with tap water, as the chorine will kill them. But to be honest, the aerobic bacteria also grows in your sponge filters, and as long as you dont sanitise the sponge filter, you should be fine.
You can also buy a full on sheet of open cell 10-30ppi for a few bucks. It should be enough filtration material for years! But thats very overkill for your 20 gallon tank.
My advice, dig a big hole in your yard, line it with damp proof membrane, and build a real pond! Its family fun, great way to waste your time and money.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2022, 07:39:21 AM »
I have several foam blocks for the big aquarium that haven't been used, and I was thinking what if I cut one to make a prefilter to put on the intake on the 20 gallon filter, and then just drop ceramic rings into the... wtf is it called? The place where you would normally put the filter cartridge. there's a lot of unused space in there, and if I put a filter on before the water even goes into the intake I could use that whole space for bio filtration. Plus bacteria would eventually grow in the intake filter.

I like the idea of outdoor fish ponds, but I live in Florida and I would have to battle the mosquitoes to look at the fish. I wonder how much of a pain in the ass it is when we get 2 or 3 inches of rain in one storm.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2022, 05:34:31 AM »
get anything carp like, such as gold fish or koi and you you wont get any mozzies. They are just food. Im in a subtropical area myself, and ,my pond water is crystal clear. However I do have a UV lamp that helps a lot, would recommend.

My pond is actually brick all round, and has quite a bit of algae growth on the side walls which also helps with nitrates. And if you live in florida you could get yourself a baby alligator in your pond. They are cute.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2022, 06:50:32 AM »
I already have a puppy with alligator teeth!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2022, 07:27:04 AM »
I found out the two fish in the aquarium my sister gave me that I didn't know wtf they are, are Chinese algae eaters. They are aggressive and shy. I named the gold one Weirdo.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2022, 01:16:13 AM »
I need some algae eaters. Not necessarily the Chinese variant though. Just something to munch on the algae against the walls. Snails should do it, but they are not all that exciting to watch.

I wonder if I can get a fish to eat the local invasive toad tadpoles. Those things are a real pain

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2022, 08:21:23 AM »
With the two algae eaters and one giant pleco there isn't any algae on the sides of the aquarium. Maybe you could put a pleco in there, I don't think they are aggressive towards other fish.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2022, 04:11:47 AM »
With the two algae eaters and one giant pleco there isn't any algae on the sides of the aquarium. Maybe you could put a pleco in there, I don't think they are aggressive towards other fish.
So I got 2 baby pleco's this weekend. I am more worried that my Koi eat them than anything else right now. But hopefully they will get nice and big. There is loads of algae for them to eat.
The tricy part is finding them in my pond again, they seem to disappear between all the rocks, and things.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2022, 07:10:46 AM »
Oh cool. How big is your pond?

Over the weekend I got one of those double sponge filters that attaches to the side. I love it, it doesn't take up as much room as the other type. Also it will be easier to clean the sponges, because you don't have to take the top off, the sponges just slide off.  I also got a nice fake log for the fish to hide in.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2022, 06:19:39 AM »
Its about 4500 litres. So pretty big. I have quite a few plants in it that really do wonders keeping the water clean.

I find the biggest things about sponge filters is the ease of cleaning them. If they are the best filters in the universe, but its a paint to clean, then you just wont use them properly.

I wonder if I should dump a tree stump in my pond?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2022, 08:14:45 AM »
Fish seem to like natural wood and the tannins, I don't know anything about koi fish though. The pleco will probably love it, and if you throw some cory catfish in there they will love it.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »
Fish seem to like natural wood and the tannins, I don't know anything about koi fish though. The pleco will probably love it, and if you throw some cory catfish in there they will love it.
Koi are basically Carp. They eat anything that moves, or does not move. Edible or not. They are monsters.
Good for keeping a big pond mozzie free, and very easy to look after if your a master at killing your fish.

Just because I have a big pond, does not mean I know a lot about keeping fish alive. In fact, I think it means exactly the opposite of that. Keeping a fish alive in a small tank seems way harder!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2022, 10:32:37 AM »
It does require a lot of cleaning and water changing. I vacuumed the 70 gallon tank for the first time the other day, and the entire front of my shirt and both my sleeves were wet. lol  I am only 5 foot 2, and the top of the tank is almost at my chin.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2022, 10:46:15 AM »
It does require a lot of cleaning and water changing. I vacuumed the 70 gallon tank for the first time the other day, and the entire front of my shirt and both my sleeves were wet. lol  I am only 5 foot 2, and the top of the tank is almost at my chin.
My tank had a 3 stage cleaning filtration system. Each of those stages is about 60 gallons.
Im going to wait for warm weather and get into my swim suit for the next time I need to vacuum my tank.
The other issue is that one of the females was very pregnant the other day. So I dont want to vacuum up some guppies. Somehow they are completely invisible until you find yourself with an additional 10 pitch black fishies.

But the bottom of the tank is starting to look a bit like a swamp, so it needs to happen.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2022, 07:34:23 AM »
OH wow, I just realized you have to get in yours to vacuum it! lol

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2022, 05:03:27 AM »
At least not scuba gear!

Although the idea of a pond that big makes me happy.

I wonder if I dig up my entire garden to make a pond, what will kill me first, my wife or the water bill?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2022, 07:07:32 AM »
Mrs MayonnaiseWolf is probably more dangerous.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2022, 12:02:49 PM »
If my power is out from the storm, I wonder how long the fish will be okay without water circulation. Last time the power was out for almost 4 days. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2022, 12:20:49 PM »
If my power is out from the storm, I wonder how long the fish will be okay without water circulation. Last time the power was out for almost 4 days.

Oh, according to the internet not very long! They have lived through a several hours long power outage recently, but I need to figure out how to run an air pump with a battery or something. lol

OR HAVE A FISH FRY  >:D

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2022, 12:15:26 AM »
ah, thats a problem.

I have a solar battery system that produces about 2/3rds of my total power consumption. But its only because I live in a sh*t hole country with frequent outages.
Maybe you can get a long straw and blow some bubbles for them  :)

If you have a battery and inverter it should be pretty easy to solve. But depends on how much you want to spend on your food.

Also, Fish and chips is the best.

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2022, 02:26:51 AM »
Oh, according to the internet not very long!
Well, it depends.    If you have a heavily planted tank it can make a big difference, as the plants (and substrate) will harbour plenty of beneficial bacteria and the plants themselves will break down toxins.  If you've no plants then the water will start getting poisonous pretty quick.

but I need to figure out how to run an air pump with a battery or something.
An air pump will make no difference - your fish won't run out of oxygen, they will be slowly poisoned.  The filter works by building up colonies of bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrites into harmless nitrates.  If the tank water isn't circulating over these filter colonies then the ammonia and nitrate levels will increase to levels that will kill your fish.

First thing you should do is stop feeding your fish.   Every bit of food you put in will end up breaking down into toxins.  Tropical fish can survive long periods without food - four days will be no problem.

The next thing you should do is a large water change every day - at least 50%, probably more.  If the toxins aren't being removed by the filter, then you need to mechanically remove them - water changes are the only way to do this.

The other thing you should keep in mind is that while the filter isn't running, the bacterial colonies will start dying, so even when you turn it back on it may be working way below its usual level.  So I'd carry on with not feeding and big water changes to be safe.

Anyway, this is what I'd do.  I've kept tropical fish for a long time, but I'm not an expert, so do some research.  Just be careful, as there is an awful lot of terrible, out of date, rubbish out there.
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis