Who is going to become Speaker?

• 114 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
Who is going to become Speaker?
« on: January 03, 2023, 06:39:29 PM »
Nope,  this is not a poll,  I'm curious as to who will become the speaker.
Given, that it can be anybody,  not necessarily a member of congress,  who would you choose?

I'm thinking someone like Mike Lindell would be good entertainment value,  or perhaps Hershel Walker?

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Lorddave

Re: Who is going to become Speaker?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 09:37:01 PM »
Make it Trump so they can assassinate Biden and Kamala, and ensure he's president.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 10:16:54 PM »
I'm quickly running out of popcorn on this one but I've got to say I'm a bit worried.  What happens when a vote that's actually important comes up?  These lunatics grew up thinking that professional wrestling is real.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 06:29:26 AM »
If something actually important comes up, they will do what they always do, nothing.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 08:10:01 AM »
I'm talking about the votes that keeps the country running like disaster relief or the federal budget. In the past congress has always made a big show of arguing over it but it was all kayfabe. But these lunatics might actually obstruct the important stuff just because they think that's what governing is.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
What's all this business about how the psychopath Boebert and Co want Jim Jordan? I guess because he's all Freedom Caucus-eriffic? He keeps getting like 19 votes and yah need 218. Seems like this will drag on for years at this rate. And in the mean time, like you said, actual real stuff that usually and needs to get done won't get done.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 08:36:33 AM »
The weird thing is that Jim Jordan isn't interested in being the speaker. He's been voting for McCarthy. They're turning this into a farce.

It's difficult to see the democrats pulling a few Republicans to get their guy elected since it's such a powerful position. Maybe we'll see McCarthy cutting a deal with the democrats to get a few votes there. But that would be humiliating as well.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 08:48:40 AM »
I read that too. That Jordan has been voting for McCarthy and has been trying to get the nutjobs in his caucus to vote for him, but they won't budge. And yeah, embarrassing for sure...

And so, at 5:27 p.m., after three ballots that saw Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries of New York win more votes for speaker than the nominal GOP leader, Kevin McCarthy of California, the House adjourned until noon Wednesday.

Not that it would happen, but is it conceivable that the minority party leader could be voted in as Speaker? I'm assuming yes.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 09:16:37 AM »
Oh. The fourth vote is on now. Gotta get some popcorn...

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 09:17:31 AM »
I read that too. That Jordan has been voting for McCarthy and has been trying to get the nutjobs in his caucus to vote for him, but they won't budge. And yeah, embarrassing for sure...

And so, at 5:27 p.m., after three ballots that saw Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries of New York win more votes for speaker than the nominal GOP leader, Kevin McCarthy of California, the House adjourned until noon Wednesday.

Not that it would happen, but is it conceivable that the minority party leader could be voted in as Speaker? I'm assuming yes.

What would be the point of democrats voting for one of their own as speaker in a repugnican controlled house?

Like, wouldn't they be better to scheme with a repug that's more favourable (or in the current context, professional) to get them over the line?

They could also win support from the public as a stark contrast to the repugs as they claim that the election was free, fair and the repugs won it. And because the repugs couldn't get their house in order (pun very much intended), they assisted them for the good of the nation

Who cares about doing backroom 'deals'. Try to win public support and sentiment and that will be a more powerful weapon and something history will remember

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 09:22:39 AM »
Yeah, I can't really think of a good reason as to why that would be beneficial. Other than rubbing the GOP's noses in it with, "Ha, you all are so dysfunctional you ended up with a minority Speaker...Idiots, all of you."

Lorddave

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 09:36:36 AM »

What would be the point of democrats voting for one of their own as speaker in a repugnican controlled house?

Like, wouldn't they be better to scheme with a repug that's more favourable (or in the current context, professional) to get them over the line?

They could also win support from the public as a stark contrast to the repugs as they claim that the election was free, fair and the repugs won it. And because the repugs couldn't get their house in order (pun very much intended), they assisted them for the good of the nation

Who cares about doing backroom 'deals'. Try to win public support and sentiment and that will be a more powerful weapon and something history will remember

Good deeds are forgotten.  But smears last forever.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 09:58:35 AM »
Now we get a round 5!

I would think a deal should be possible. I guess the house is just too polarized. Maybe give it a dozen more rounds of votes and see what happens.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 10:09:17 AM »
Unbelievable...

Maybe it will just keep going like this until the 2026 Mid-terms.

Lorddave

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 10:44:15 AM »
Imagine how McCarthy must feel to lose votes every round. 

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 10:53:46 AM »
Starting round 5.  Every round they have to treat it like it's the first round with nominations and speeches. It's a little weird to see basically the same speech over and over again while everyone claps like it's the first time they've heard it. This must be what it's like to rehearse for a play.

Lorddave

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 10:59:52 AM »
Starting round 5.  Every round they have to treat it like it's the first round with nominations and speeches. It's a little weird to see basically the same speech over and over again while everyone claps like it's the first time they've heard it. This must be what it's like to rehearse for a play.
Or Hell.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 11:44:50 AM »
Alright. Round 6...

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 11:46:27 AM »
How long will this keep going?

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 11:53:06 AM »
At most 2 years I think. By that time there should be an entirely new House.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »
At most 2 years I think. By that time there should be an entirely new House.

I'm not old enough to get involved with politics or vote BUT I will want to see which one gets to win.
Hopefully, it's someone who isn't an annoying fagguete like Donald trump.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 12:11:48 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/house-republicans-frantically-binge-old-schoolhouse-rock-episodes-to-figure-out-what-theyre-supposed-to-be-doing

WASHINGTON, D.C. — House Republicans have requested a congressional recess following another failed round of voting for the next Speaker of the House so they can frantically binge-watch old episodes of Schoolhouse Rock and figure out what they're supposed to be doing.

McCarthy reportedly told aides, "There's got to be something in these ancient songs. Hold all my calls! I refuse to talk to any constituents until I am Speaker!"

Republicans first reviewed the classic song "Three-Ring Government" but found it unsettling. They learned a lot but all comparisons to a three-ring circus felt strangely offensive. "We are not a bunch of clowns! You're the clowns!" Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene yelled at the screen. She was supported by Rep. Matt Gaetz, who resented the very idea that he was anything but practically perfect in every way.

According to sources, Republicans quickly grew bored of their intense study of government policy and ordered their aides to review the educational tapes instead. A 4,000-page report on the lessons learned from the catchy tunes and whimsical animation was prepared and half-heartedly skimmed by a majority of the congressional representatives who had requested the information in the first place.

At publishing time, Rep. Kevin McCarthy is still reviewing footage of Schoolhouse Rock, searching for any means whatsoever to gain power. "All I care about is power," he said, eyes lit by the haunting glow of a dim television in a dark room full of empty chairs.

lol
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 12:53:34 PM »
Round 7...

I think the record is 9 rounds so only two more.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2023, 01:00:53 PM »
Round 7...

I think the record is 9 rounds so only two more.

Isn't the record 133?

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 05:09:47 PM »
Seems like a deadlock. 

I get the impression that the HFC have overplayed their hand, and opened the door for the Democratics to nominate a moderate Republican,  maybe Kasich?  or someone like that.

I doubt McCarthy can come back. 

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2023, 07:11:35 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/house-republicans-frantically-binge-old-schoolhouse-rock-episodes-to-figure-out-what-theyre-supposed-to-be-doing

"All I care about is power," he said, eyes lit by the haunting glow of a dim television in a dark room full of empty chairs.

lol

That's fantastic.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2023, 09:59:02 PM »
I love how Tucker can just ruin any Republicans career on a whim. They look at him with such fear in their eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Dj2z-eRPx8o

"You'll tear down."

Yes.

See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:04:20 PM by disputeone »
I'm anti-judaism.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2023, 09:48:57 AM »
Round 7 has failed to elect a speaker.

Matt Gaetz voted for Donald Trump.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 09:52:11 AM »
I think they should vote for Kabool, on account of the fact I would find it funny.
I'm anti-judaism.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 09:53:40 AM »
I think they should vote for Kabool, on account of the fact I would find it funny.

Really? Not Tucker Carlson? Imagine how even more degenerate politics could get lol

Know your place