Satellites on the sky

• 164 Replies

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Satellites on the sky
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2020, 05:09:33 PM »
A few months ago I watched a Starlink launch online. 20 minutes later, dead on time, the second stage flew over the top of me.

A while back I watched a comedian on YouTube.
I laughed. Therefor he was obviously a comedian.

Did you actually see the second stage fly over you?
Was it daytime?
How are you so sure you were seeing a second stage of a rocket?
Do you have extensive training in identifying rocket second stages?

I am truly curious. 

« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2020, 05:29:43 PM »
A few months ago I watched a Starlink launch online. 20 minutes later, dead on time, the second stage flew over the top of me.

A while back I watched a comedian on YouTube.
I laughed. Therefor he was obviously a comedian.

Did you actually see the second stage fly over you?
Was it daytime?
How are you so sure you were seeing a second stage of a rocket?
Do you have extensive training in identifying rocket second stages?

I am truly curious.

• Evening. The sky was dark for me but the spacecraft was high enough to catch the sun over the horizon.
  • I know it was the second stage because that rocket only has two stages. The first stage doesn't have enough fuel to get this far, and besides, I watched the first stage land on the drone ship.
  • As much as anyone who has an interest in such things. As mentioned, nothing else was on the aircraft tracker. I was watching the video feed from the second stage, so I know where it was. It tallied with third-party websites which also predict fly-over times, eg https://www.heavens-above.com/
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »

• I know it was the second stage because that rocket only has two stages. The first stage doesn't have enough fuel to get this far, and besides, I watched the first stage land on the drone ship.
Dude, that's awesome. You watched it fly overhead AND witnessed it landing thousands of miles away moments later. 

OR, you saw these things on TV?

« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2020, 11:14:33 PM »
I am truly curious.

Don't you mean you are truly 'sceptical' because you prefer to think you are always right?!?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2020, 12:36:14 AM »
I am truly curious.

Don't you mean you are truly 'sceptical' because you prefer to think you are always right?!?

No, you made a claim you can not back up.
I'm just pointing that out for you to clarify.

You personally witnessed a rocket second stage travel over your head
and personally witnessed it land on a barge.

Is that your claim?

Yes or No.

« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2020, 06:01:20 AM »
Sorry my mistake, I didn't realise people would be confused by the geometry of this. To clarify:

- I watched the launch and the landing on TV.

- I watched the second stage fly over the top of me.

Yes, I am aware that all photographic/TV evidence that conflicts with FET is inadmissable as evidence to FEers.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2020, 06:50:59 AM »
Yes, I am aware that all photographic/TV evidence that conflicts with FET is inadmissable as evidence to FEers.

It's a bit unfortunate when evidence that is admissible and perfectly acceptable to 99.9% of the population is not acceptable to FEers.   Why would that be I wonder?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2020, 07:25:37 AM »

It's a bit unfortunate when evidence that is admissible and perfectly acceptable to 99.9% of the population is not acceptable to FEers.   Why would that be I wonder?

Flat Earthers only accept photographic evidence if it's formatted as a series of memes shown in slideshow format on a YouTube video.

« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
Flat Earthers only accept evidence which is flat Earth 'compatible' if it isn't then it is either ignored or dismissed as faked. Because obviously there is no chance that the Earth might not be flat after all is there!?! Heaven forbid!

No, you made a claim you can not back up.
I'm just pointing that out for you to clarify.

You personally witnessed a rocket second stage travel over your head
and personally witnessed it land on a barge.

Is that your claim?

Yes or No.

It wasn't me making the claim.  However when you can look up details and timings of satellite (or in this case rocket stages) passes from any location on Earth and then actually watch as they pass over then that is evidence backing up the observation. That is enough for most people. Obviously not for you put that's your problem not ours.

It's just like the iridium flares that could be predicted days in advance.  The prediction would provide the time, date and direction the flare would be seen.  I would then go out at the appropriate time and look in the direction mentioned and see the flare happen. However you like to dress it up, that is evidence.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:33:54 AM by Solarwind »

« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2020, 06:57:06 AM »
There's another Starlink going up soon, probably on Tuesday.

You can all watch the launch and first stage landing live. Some of you might be able to watch the second stage fly over you shortly after the launch, or watch the Starlink train on the following orbits. It's viewable with the naked eye.

How do FEers explain a Starlink train?

Curvature

• Flat Earth Hobbyist
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2020, 06:59:18 AM »
There's another Starlink going up soon, probably on Tuesday.

You can all watch the launch and first stage landing live. Some of you might be able to watch the second stage fly over you shortly after the launch, or watch the Starlink train on the following orbits. It's viewable with the naked eye.

How do FEers explain a Starlink train?

The rockets would make a turn in mid-air and crash into the ocean along with the satellites on them. Haha

« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
Since I have measured satellites with ground triangulation, they are at orbital heights and orbital speeds. And being an observational astronomer for 51 years, I can say we did not not see these dots, till we put them up there.
Astronomer, photographer, and astro-photographer for 51 years. Satellite observer for 3 years, satellite builder in the 80's. Telescope maker and familiar with optical theory and designs. Machinists and machine tool programmer.

« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
"Is it by any chance Newton's law of universal gravity?
Then, you got a huge problem, because this law of worth shit in outer space."

When I surveyed many different satellites, including the moon, they all followed the Newton's laws by the speed they traveled across the sky.
It also passed on Jupiter's 4 bright moons.
The laws stand their grounds.
Astronomer, photographer, and astro-photographer for 51 years. Satellite observer for 3 years, satellite builder in the 80's. Telescope maker and familiar with optical theory and designs. Machinists and machine tool programmer.

« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2020, 12:23:46 PM »
"They look exactly like moving stars.   How do I know they are not moving stars then I expect you will ask..  very simply because I know what I'm talking about. Unlike your good self it seems."

Why are the large ones, like ISS, have the ISS shape?
Why do they stay in full sunlight way after sunset, some are seen in the middle of the night?
Why when they do shut off, it matches where the sun's shadow should be for the supplied location of them?
The fastest moving star, move 1 degree per 360 years.

« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
The Japanese propose to remove inactive satellites and dropped missile sections from orbit using a satellite with magnetic panels, which will attract such objects. The British offer space tug skyrora for de-orbiting space debris or transferring space debris to disposal orbit.