Two confusingly similar symbols that yet have such different meanings

• 1 Replies

Prof. Dr. Covid-19

• Health professional
I would like to share with you a brief and for a few of you perhaps still unknown learning, addressed in particular to our American friends.

The topic is to be the rod of Asclepius as well as the Caduceus.

The first picture shows the rod of Asclepius (as also visible in my profile picture), the second picture shows the Caduceus:

The former is the staff of the god of medicine of Greek mythology. Because of this it is regularly used as a symbol of representation of medical institutions and also the reason why it decorates my profile.

In antiquity, the Caduceus was the hallmark of heralds to signal the immunity of these bearers of military orders or secret messages and to ensure their safe return.  The most famous staff bearer was the Greek god Hermes.

Unfortunately, the American Air Force has confused the two symbols and used the heraldic staff as a symbol for medicine.

What an embarrassing mistake, especially for such a supposedly great nation!

But considering the American health care system and that the Caduceus has another meaning as a 'symbol of economy and trade', was this confusion in retrospect perhaps unintentionally accurate?

-Prof. Dr. Covid-19
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:14:02 PM by Prof. Dr. Covid-19 »

It seems to me that such a coincidence is not accidental. People often like to exhibit additional meanings in the form of sign systems. It’s like an open mockery of society.