Why can I only see Orion in the Winter?

• 5 Replies
Why can I only see Orion in the Winter?
« on: October 24, 2017, 07:27:59 AM »
I live in North America.  Around this time every year I can see Orion towards the south from the front of my house. I actually have not checked if I can see it yet this year or not, but when its visible I do start to notice it periodically.  I cannot see Orion any other time of the year, just winter.  How does the FE model explain this?  Not for stars or constellations in general, but specifically for Orion?  Once Orion is visible in the night sky, it is visible around the world.  For me its to the south.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Why can I only see Orion in the Winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
I actually have not checked if I can see it yet this year or not, but when its visible I do start to notice it periodically.

SCIENCE

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
Why can I see Orion's Nebula with the naked eye, and when zoomed in with a lens (you choose) you can see that it is a blob not a star....

Why the difference....

Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »
Actually, you could have seen Orion during the Eclipse in August if you were along the path of totality.  During a total eclipse, you can see the same stars you would see during the opposite season.  During the August eclipse you could see the stars you would see in February.

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
MicroBeta, interesting about the eclipse.  Still I'll ask why we can see Orion at night (let's put the eclipse aside as an out lier) only in the winter. From what I've read, that Constellation is visible pretty much directly above the equator, to the south (which it always is)if you are in the NH as I am, and to the north if you are in the SH.  But how does a FE model account for the seasonal visibility of it? 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:50:32 PM by mattbrown »

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »
MicroBeta, interesting about the eclipse.  Still I'll ask why we can see Orion at night (let's put the eclipse aside as an out lier) only in the winter. From what I've read, that Constellation is visible pretty much directly above the equator, to the south (which it always is)if you are in the NH as I am, and to the north if you are in the SH.  But how does a FE model account for the seasonal visibility of it?

They'll make up something. It's behind or in front of the sun, so when the sun fades out (or something), you can see Orion at some times of year but not others.

Easy peasy until asked why they need the the sun to "fade out" instead of "set below the horizon" which it obviously does.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan