Water is Level

• 67 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Water is Level
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:26:19 AM »

If there is any doubt in your mind that water is level, please go perform this experiment.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: Water is Level
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:35:17 AM »
Feel free to pay attention to all the other threads about this. Flat /= level.

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:47:02 AM »

If there is any doubt in your mind that water is level, please go perform this experiment.
Clearly water is not level as the horizon shows etc.  Curvature of the earth is well known and proven.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
How do you explain the results? This is a repeated and verified experiment. It has been published many times over the years, often with photographic evidence.

The Earth is Flat, and that is that.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:49:51 AM »
This one should be good. Why would you think that flat should not be level?

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »
How do you explain the results? This is a repeated and verified experiment. It has been published many times over the years, often with photographic evidence.

Please provide details of recent experiments.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »

Diffraction. If you can say that the sun goes over the horizon by perspective, we can say that diffraction allows the flag to still be seen.
Anyway you can't see where the river meets the ocean can you.  :)

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »
Flat can indeed not be level. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 12:32:55 PM »
Certainly not in the case of water. Unless, of course, it is flowing downstream.

Diffraction. If you can say that the sun goes over the horizon by perspective, we can say that diffraction allows the flag to still be seen.
Of course not, the air obstructs my vision before I could have any such luck. Diffraction? oooh so its an illusion now is it? Every time something proves the earth flat every single time it turns out to be diffraction or refraction.  ::) Sounds legit to me.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 01:34:23 PM »
Certainly not in the case of water. Unless, of course, it is flowing downstream.

Of course not, the air obstructs my vision before I could have any such luck. Diffraction? oooh so its an illusion now is it? Every time something proves the earth flat every single time it turns out to be diffraction or refraction.  ::) Sounds legit to me.

Laugh, you could calculate refraction, its a well known phenomena, and the world is only flat sometimes at bredford, riiiight.

What do you think why FE-ers absolutly have to cherry pick in the sea of evidences ? 

yeah right, the earth is round
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:36:08 PM by aisantaros »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
We don't have to cherry pick. We just have so much evidence we can well afford to be dainty in our selection.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »
We don't have to cherry pick. We just have so much evidence we can well afford to be dainty in our selection.
Recent experiments please.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »

Well, first show some real experiment in written from, with calculations, with measurment on multiple sites with multiple methods on different times of day, with photographic evidence and debunk atmospheric refractions please or take them into account.

After that, you have to face the no map, no stars, no sunsets, problems of Fe mentioning just the basic ones....

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »

Well, first show some real experiment in written from, with calculations, with measurment on multiple sites with multiple methods on different times of day, with photographic evidence and debunk atmospheric refractions please or take them into account.

After that, you have to face the no map, no stars, no sunsets, problems of Fe mentioning just the basic ones....
Bedford. Level. Experiment. I'd suggest you read some of Lady Blounts replications of it.

We have a map. Its non-euclidean. A projection of it in euclidean space is a globe. Sunsets and stars are also explained.

It has been recently done by Daniel Shenton. However it should be noted - truth has no expiration date.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »

Bedford. Level. Experiment. I'd suggest you read some of Lady Blounts replications of it.

We have a map. Its non-euclidean. A projection of it in euclidean space is a globe. Sunsets and stars are also explained.

It has been recently done by Daniel Shenton. However it should be noted - truth has no expiration date.

good old John explained everything by saying the world is close to globe geometry, I mean come on, how could be the world flat by eyesight by your claims of non detectable curvature aaaaand non eucledian that could be projekted into sphere ? :D did you discussed it with other Fe-ers yet ? :D

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »

Link please.  If it's that successful then it would being carried out by many people.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 04:54:23 PM »

I would dispute your statement. If the Bedford Experiment is real why do these people get different results? (minutes 4-9 at least)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:58:22 PM by Jadyyn »
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 05:07:45 PM »

What happens to the water in the canal it flows in one end and out the other end, that means that there is a change in elevation between the two ends. So how can you call this level?
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

?

Kami

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 02:59:17 AM »
Rowbotham repeated his experiments several times over the years but his claims received little attention until, in 1870, a supporter by the name of John Hampden offered a wager that he could show, by repeating Rowbotham's experiment, that the earth was flat. The noted naturalist and qualified surveyor Alfred Russel Wallace accepted the wager. Wallace, by virtue of his surveyor's training and knowledge of physics, avoided the errors of the preceding experiments and won the bet.
From wikipedia.

John Davis, I would love to see your non-eucledian map. But if you accept the round-earth maps and say that the globe is simply a projection, then please note that very distance-preserving map also preserves curvature. This is a mathematical fact and not limited to euclidean geometry.

So if the globe is a correct map, then the earth, no matter how it is embedded in a higher-dimensional space, is curved.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 02:07:16 PM »
Wikipedia is wrong. Read: Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea. Wallace colluded with the judge and Hampden successfully sued.

No, there is no necessity that since the distances are preserved it must be a globe. Why do you think this is a mathematical fact?  I find it odd you say its not limited to Euclidean geometry too. Math is axiomatic; this means there is no such thing as a mathematical fact just those facts that deduct from the base axioms chosen. If I choose my axioms wisely, there is no reason why what you say must be the case.

Nobody is really talking about it being embedded in higher dimensional space either, at least as far as the map goes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:11:45 PM by John Davis »

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
Wikipedia is wrong. Read: Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea. Wallace colluded with the judge and Hampden successfully sued.

No, there is no necessity that since the distances are preserved it must be a globe. Why do you think this is a mathematical fact?  I find it odd you say its not limited to Euclidean geometry too. Math is axiomatic; this means there is no such thing as a mathematical fact just those facts that deduct from the base axioms chosen. If I choose my axioms wisely, there is no reason why what you say must be the case.

Nobody is really talking about it being embedded in higher dimensional space either, at least as far as the map goes.

John, FE guys just love commons sense and simple down to earth logic like up us up and down is down so just say it out loud :

The world can be mapped accurately on a globe, without distortion in angles and distances so the shape of earth is at least not flat but, uhm you know maybe spherical

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »

Distances prove a globe.  Or show your measurements.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 02:42:26 PM »

I would dispute your statement. If the Bedford Experiment is real why do these people get different results? (minutes 4-9 at least)
They did not take into account refraction and the laser was not level. Otherwise they would have noted a greater rise at 500ft and again at their second reading. Flat earthers performed an identical experiment I believe on youtube with wildly different results.

John, FE guys just love commons sense and simple down to earth logic like up us up and down is down so just say it out loud :

The world can be mapped accurately on a globe, without distortion in angles and distances so the shape of earth is at least not flat but, uhm you know maybe spherical
This is a non-sequitur.  Just because you can map something accurately on a round surface does not mean its round.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 02:43:34 PM »

Distances prove a globe.  Or show your measurements.
They certainly don't prove a globe. At most they prove a non-euclidean surface - a globe is one of  infinitely many such surfaces that would have the same distances. Simply stating it proves a globe doesn't cut the mustard.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »

They did not take into account refraction and the laser was not level. Otherwise they would have noted a greater rise at 500ft and again at their second reading. Flat earthers performed an identical experiment I believe on youtube with wildly different results.

This is a non-sequitur.  Just because you can map something accurately on a round surface does not mean its round.
'Flat earthers performed an identical experiment I believe on youtube with wildly different results.'  You believe but cannot find the details.  Find details of a recent experiment, what's so difficult about repeating it?

All distances map to a round earth yet you cannot prove they map to a flat earth.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »

Yeah because its geoid :D anyway we reach the level of complication that makes the FE crowd uncomfortable and suspicious but just for fun lets continue this scenario. So how could you describe the shape of the earth precisely  including the word flat?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »

Yeah because its geoid :D anyway we reach the level of complication that makes the FE crowd uncomfortable and suspicious but just for fun lets continue this scenario. So how could you describe the shape of the earth precisely  including the word flat?
Flat Closed Finite Non-Euclidean Space.

Sure beats Oblate Spheroid (Finite Closed Space) in Non-Euclidean curved space where everything is whizzing about in straight lines at magnitude equal to c while simultaneously twirling and bobbing around the sun in some sort of ridiculous celestial race.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »

Flat Closed Finite Non-Euclidean Space.

Sure beats Oblate Spheroid (Finite Closed Space) in Non-Euclidean curved space where everything is whizzing about in straight lines at magnitude equal to c while simultaneously twirling and bobbing around the sun in some sort of ridiculous celestial race.
Show a map.

?

Woody

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2016, 04:52:05 PM »

Here is the transcript:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9wFHAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA608&lpg=PA608&dq=alfred+wallace+vs+john+hampden+court+ruling&source=bl&ots=679I6encMk&sig=xI5XTDd4I0fo6S1REb7uHs15uu4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid6tnksNPKAhVC72MKHX0aDAEQ6AEIMDAD#v=onepage&q=alfred%20wallace%20vs%20john%20hampden%20court%20ruling&f=false

The court ruled that it was a wager and not a legally binding contract. Witnesses stated that  Wallace had successfully demonstrated there was curvature. 

Yes Hampden won the case not because Wallace cheated or failed to prove curvature.  He won because a wager is not legally enforceable.

MrDebunk

• Chaotic good
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »

Oh, water is level so the earth must be level! That claim is a joy to debunk! It's just so easy to debunk you might have to make a webpage for debunking frequent claims to put in your sig, just to debunk this claim!

Well, let me debunk this once and for all.

Let's say we have a perfect sphere 200 km in diameter, which doesn't really matter for this argument. If you made the entire surface of this sphere covered with water that goes 1m up, and you circumnavigated this object at a constant relative altitude and speed you would probably see no difference and the water would just look level. Perfectly works even when you change the parameters.
M R D E B U N K (the reboot)

Quote from: totallackofintelligence
You sound like shill.