One more round earth evidence nailed.

• 49 Replies

Re: One more round earth evidence nailed.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »
Disappearing ships don't mean that the here is a curvature but an optical illusion can take into account.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:05:51 PM »
This is such an elementary subject . This really belongs to be moved to the debate section since I can't mention the real reason on this section of the forum. Post this on the debate section and I will he happy to explain.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:22:20 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Mikey T.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:53:56 PM »
Definately needs to be moved to debate. 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »

Moderator ?

Chorus:

?

BJ1234

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »

Moderator ?
You should know that the only active moderator is still recovering from the weekend.  He might see this wWednesday or Thursday.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
I would love to see you explain this with refraction (which makes objects appear higher up then they really are in the case of Earth) or mirages:

Is that a floating city?  Nope, the Earth is just round.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

tappet

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:26:05 AM »
Isn't it odd that sinking ship never tilts.

Poko

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 03:06:05 AM »
Disappearing ships don't mean that the here is a curvature but an optical illusion can take into account.

Well, since ships can be observed to disappear bottom-up every single time, there must be some kind of consistent phenomena that can be explained. Since you're the one that brought it up, then please, do explain this optical illusion for us all.

It is odd. It's almost like the ship isn't actually sinking and is instead going below the horizon.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:07:51 AM by Poko »
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:31 AM »

How do you know it doesn't? How much would you expect it to tilt, and why? What direction would you expect it to tilt, and why?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mikey T.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:05:52 AM »
That video is hilariously stupid.  Lets film stuff on a road with dips throughout it, point out he dips as some backwards reasoning for there being no curvature and then try to say the road is completely flat.  Hell he even said there were some dips in the road, then said there were not.
Yep I place this at the same level, well maybe a little below, Tom's video proof.
Too funny modestman, please bring some more stupid videos, I am enjoying them.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
That video is hilariously stupid.  Lets film stuff on a road with dips throughout it, point out he dips as some backwards reasoning for there being no curvature and then try to say the road is completely flat.  Hell he even said there were some dips in the road, then said there were not.
Yep I place this at the same level, well maybe a little below, Tom's video proof.
Too funny modestman, please bring some more stupid videos, I am enjoying them.

I have to agree whole heartedly with Mikey T.  You covered it pretty well. LOL.

The video doesn't even have anything to do with the horizon. The horizon is where the earth meets the sky. One flat earth idea is that the horizon is at an  infinite distance and just fades away in a blur in the distance. Of course the horizon is always a definite line except when there is a fog or rain or on a dark night.

It might be considered that this is a little ironic, since it is easily proven on the place where the earth looks completely flat. On a calm day at sea when the sea is "like glass."

Naturally the horizon is farther away the higher the observer is located. There is a simple formula for determining the distance to the horizon depending on the height of the observer. I don't know whether the video falls into the old saying of "It's so stupid it's funny" or whether "It's so stupid it's not funny" ?

Like most things, this is one of the easiest flat earth ideas to debunk.

Questions for modestman:
1.Why would it be necessary for crow's nests and radar antennas to be mounted on the highest masts on ships if the earth was flat ?
2.How many persons have ever "recovered a ship that has gone over the horizon with a telescope" ? (Hint: Ask a few sailors.)
(Hint: Because the earth is round....You know.....Like a globe.)

As Mikey T said, modestman, supply us with some more videos. See the first line in my signature line. LOL.
From viewers like us, Thank you !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:40:55 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:17:19 PM »

Not at all.  I have calculated many times that the ship should only tilt a negligible fraction of a degree.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »

Not at all.  I have calculated many times that the ship should only tilt a negligible fraction of a degree.
the "curvature" and tilting should be compatible but they are not, that's proof there is no curvature just a optical illusion.

Mikey T.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
Yes and no modestman, the tilting of any object going over the horizon will match the curvature of the Earth, yet from the frame of reference of an observer the degree of tilt is so small that it would be pretty much indiscernible to the naked eye.  Understand that once beyond the horizon they are not 90 degrees offset from us.  This is where the tilt must be bigger perception comes from. 
The size of the Earth compared to what you can see from ground level is such a difference that it throws many people off when they try to think about what the curvature should look like.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »

the "curvature" and tilting should be compatible but they are not, that's proof there is no curvature just a optical illusion.

I think he's just one more troll to add to the list of flat earther trolls.LOL
You can't just use the old flat earth word called "denial" . There is curvature and the earth is round. And it is a proven fact. Period.

How many times have you been at sea and observed this, modestman ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:19:00 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »

You can't just use the old flat earth word called "denial" . There is curvature and the earth is round. And it is a proven fact. Period.

Look at your reply am I troll ? you are troll you idiot I am flat earther in flat earth society so go away.

?

tappet

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »

Well, since ships can be observed to disappear bottom-up every single time, there must be some kind of consistent phenomena that can be explained. Since you're the one that brought it up, then please, do explain this optical illusion for us all.

It is odd. It's almost like the ship isn't actually sinking and is instead going below the horizon.
Your ship sinks dramatically at between 15 and 20km from shore, yet when you look at left to right curvature of 100km or more and apply a straight edge to your view there is zero curvature.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »

Your ship sinks dramatically at between 15 and 20km from shore, yet when you look at left to right curvature of 100km or more and apply a straight edge to your view there is zero curvature.

Yes, that's what you'd expect on a round earth.  ::)

BTW I've worked out the amount of tilt of any object. An object at 90 degrees to the observer would have to be one quarter of the way round the world, roughly 6,200 miles. This means the object would have to travel 68 miles from the observer to achieve a tilt of one degree. This is why you can't see visible tilting. Easy to work out, and ties in exactly with observation.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »

Look at your reply am I troll ? you are troll you idiot I am flat earther in flat earth society so go away.

Well you certainly are acting like one. You are probably fairly intelligent. I am not calling you an idiot. And I am at least somewhat above the idiot level intelligence wise.

I have no claims for being a genius and having 13 degrees like one flat  earth person.

OK. This is the Flat Earth Society and if you wish to believe the earth is flat that is your problem.

But those of us who know  the earth is a globe like to set the record straight from time to time. It's just too much of a temptation to not remain silent.

I have studied about how the distance to the horizon is calculated. Part of this was in radar theory. And I have been to sea and observed this first hand so I know the earth is round and there is a curvature, etc. And things work accordingly.

Have you ever studied the subject,  been to sea and observed this yourself ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:53:26 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »

Do you actually know this? Have you checked? I'm betting the answer to both is no.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mikey T.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »
So tappet, at what height are you claiming you can see 100km of horizon to put said straightedge on?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »
I just noticed something.

If the horizon were really always at eye level like flat earthers claim, then the only way a boat could disappear below the horizon is for that boat to actually be physically going below the horizon.  This is impossible on a flat Earth.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »
I just noticed something.

If the horizon were really always at eye level like flat earthers claim, then the only way a boat could disappear below the horizon is for that boat to actually be physically going below the horizon.  This is impossible on a flat Earth.

This is why they claw desperately at ideas like the comical wave swell theory, i.e. even on the flattest sea ever there are swells high enough to hide a 90 foot tall cruise ship. You have to give them credit for sheer balls.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

tappet

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:57 PM »
So tappet, at what height are you claiming you can see 100km of horizon to put said straightedge on?
Do you think you cannot look left to right and not see 100km. Standing on a beach.

?

tappet

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 11:54:41 PM »

Do you actually know this? Have you checked? I'm betting the answer to both is no.
I have posted pictures on this forum in the past of sinking ship at 20km, horizon at sea level and at height with a straight edge.
So go away little lady.

Poko

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 12:11:28 AM »

You would only expect to see the ship tilt left or right if the earth were a cylinder. As it turns out, the earth is actually a spheroid, so the surface curves downwards in all directions no matter where on the planet you are.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 12:19:05 AM »
Do you think you cannot look left to right and not see 100km. Standing on a beach.

What height do you think you would need to be to clearly see horizon  curvature?    Since I know you aren't a flat earther,  you are allowed to answer.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

?

tappet

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 02:33:27 AM »

What height do you think you would need to be to clearly see horizon  curvature?    Since I know you aren't a flat earther,  you are allowed to answer.
According to a photo you produced once claiming it showed curvature I would say standing on the beach.

Poko

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 03:04:41 AM »

According to a photo you produced once claiming it showed curvature I would say standing on the beach.

"Standing on the beach" isn't a height. Try again.