Compasses

• 28 Replies

kman

• Pastafarian
Compasses
« on: June 14, 2015, 02:50:27 PM »
I'm sure that this has been answered before, but I'm genuinely curious on how compasses are supposed to work.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Compasses
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
I'm sure that this has been answered before, but I'm genuinely curious on how compasses are supposed to work.

There are several sources for information. I found several by searching on "How do compasses work ?" However these were all "Round Earth" answers so you might try posting this in the Debate Section. If I posted the sources I am sure I would get banned for posting in the wrong section again.

I, too, would be interested in how compasses are supposed to work on a Flat Earth . My main concern and question is how they would work if the usual North Pole centered map with the Ice Ring is considered the source for how compasses are supposed to work on a Flat Earth if there is no South Pole and apparently no South Magnetic Pole. ?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:02:19 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:43:48 PM »
All magnetic compasses point north. No need for a "southern pole."

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:52:28 PM »

That is very easy to disprove, but I can't because this is the Q&A section being guarded by Jroa.  Just play around with magnets some time..
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:20:42 AM »

That is very easy to disprove, but I can't because this is the Q&A section being guarded by Jroa.  Just play around with magnets some time..

Be careful because he might ban you even for answering questions  ;D

Not even joking that's what he did to me like last month.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:51:21 AM »
Be careful because he might ban you even for answering questions  ;D

Not even joking that's what he did to me like last month.

And he did it to me last week.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:50:05 AM »

If you wish to debate my statement then you are welcome to open a thread about it in FEDebate.  Otherwise, please stay on topic.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:50:50 AM »
As the OP, I give mike full permission to say what he wants to say.
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:48:21 AM »
As the OP, I give mike full permission to say what he wants to say.

Then I'm moving this to FEDebate as it's now clearly your intent to start a debate rather than have questions answered.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 10:05:12 AM »

You can't have a magnetic North Pole without a magnetic South Pole.   Magnetic monopoles don't exist.    The south magnetic pole has been extensively mapped,   it moves over time,  even seasonally,   currently it's  due south of Melbourne, and  out in the ocean.    Its currently outside the Antarctic circle.   at  S 63 30,  E 138

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »
Who said that there wasn't a magnetic opposite to the north pole?

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »

You did.   And before you trot out the disk magnet theory,  you should know that the South Magnetic pole is a single location,  not the edge of a disk.   

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:35:33 AM by Rayzor »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »

You did.   And before you trot out the disk magnet theory,  you should know that the South Magnetic pole is a single location,  not the edge of a disk.   

What's the disk magnet theory?

Also, I said there wasn't a need for a "south pole" to make magnets point north.  Not that there was no south pole.  If I tell you that you can use an if-loop there and that there's no need for a whole-loop, that does not mean that I am saying that while-loops do not exist.  Please read what I write rather than jumping to your own preconceived conclusions.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:39:25 AM by Pongo »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 10:59:28 AM »

What's the disk magnet theory?

Also, I said there wasn't a need for a "south pole" to make magnets point north.  Not that there was no south pole.  If I tell you that you can use an if-loop there and that there's no need for a whole-loop, that does not mean that I am saying that while-loops do not exist.  Please read what I write rather than jumping to your own preconceived conclusions.

No,  still wrong,   a compass lines up with the flux lines, the flux lines go from the North pole of the magnet to the South pole.   In addition each compass needle has a North and South Pole,  without either you don't have a magnet  If you are trying to say something different,  then maybe you could explain it better. 

The disk magnet theory is the accepted flat earth model for the earth's magnetic field,  you should read the FEwiki,  and  ENAG.  for more detail.   

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
If I tell you that you can use an if-loop there and that there's no need for a whole-loop, that does not mean that I am saying that while-loops do not exist. 

Ahhh... Nope,   I can't make any sense of that.    You'll have to elaborate.

Please read what I write rather than jumping to your own preconceived conclusions.

I did,  and you clearly said there  "wasn't a need for south pole".   In fact you repeated it,   no preconceived conclusion jumping required.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »
I believe the south magnetic pole is simply directly under the north magnetic pole. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
I believe the south magnetic pole is simply directly under the north magnetic pole.

I know where the South Magnetic Pole is,  no belief required,  it's at S 63 30,  E 138.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »

I know where the South Magnetic Pole is,  no belief required,  it's at S 63 30,  E 138.

Why are you bothering to participate in this discussion if you are so closed minded?  Do you think there is a prize for the most closed minded poster or something like that?

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »

Why are you bothering to participate in this discussion if you are so closed minded?  Do you think there is a prize for the most closed minded poster or something like that?

It's weird how flat earthers equate being open minded with believing in the exact same things that they do. It's basically like saying that "We support free thinking and dislike dogma. But if you don't believe exactly what we believe than you're not a free thinker"

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »

Sorry,  you misunderstand me,   the physical location of the South Magnetic pole is not a question of being open minded or not,  its just a fact.    Although I should add that it isn't a static thing,  both the North and South magnetic poles move around, and sometimes they flip around completely,  with North and South being reversed.

As for suggesting that compasses don't need the South Magnetic pole to work,  just shows a lack of knowledge.    Maybe you can translate what Pongo was on about  with the if-loop stuff?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:16 PM »

Sorry,  you misunderstand me,   the physical location of the South Magnetic pole is not a question of being open minded or not,  its just a fact.    Although I should add that it isn't a static thing,  both the North and South magnetic poles move around, and sometimes they flip around completely,  with North and South being reversed.

As for suggesting that compasses don't need the South Magnetic pole to work,  just shows a lack of knowledge.    Maybe you can translate what Pongo was on about  with the if-loop stuff?

I said the north pole is directly above the south pole in my flat Earth model.  I don't know where you came up with the idea that anyone said you can have a north pole with out a south pole.  Maybe a English is not your native language?

Also, Pongo was using compter programming terms to explain to you that not needing something is not the same as not having something.  You seem to be particularly confused today. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
I said the north pole is directly above the south pole in my flat Earth model.  I don't know where you came up with the idea that anyone said you can have a north pole with out a south pole.  Maybe a English is not your native language?
Also, Pongo was using compter programming terms to explain to you that not needing something is not the same as not having something.  You seem to be particularly confused today.

Wow, jroa,  you really are off your game today, or did you not read any of the thread?  It was Pongo who said that the South Pole was not needed for compasses to work,   it's  your reading comprehension skills are below par today.   

Pongo wasn't using programming terms for any computer language that I've every  programmed in,  but then again I've  never programmed in gibberish however.     

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
You claim to have coded but don't know what if and while loops are?  Also, programming terms are not language specific.  And, once again because you still seem confused, if something is not needed, that does necessarily mean it does not exist.  Necessity and a existance are not mutually inclusive. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:35:21 PM by jroa »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »
You claim to have coded but don't know what if and while loops are?  Also, programming terms are not language specific.  And, once again because you still seem confused, if something is not needed, that does necessarily mean it does not exist.  Necessity and a existance are not mutually inclusive.

Only programming  for the last 40 years, in every thing from microcode through assembler for many different cpu's,   a few of my own languages,   I've never heard of an "if-loop" construct,   sounds a bit like the Forth BEGIN UNTIL construction,  "while-loop"  sounds like he meant just a "WHILE"  loop,   and  as for "whole-loop"   you got me.   maybe  he's thinking just a DO LOOP construct.   Either way he makes no sense.

In the case of magnetic flux lines,  it is a necessity to have north and south poles,  in fact  north poles and south poles  don't exist by themselves in nature.   ( Although there was a paper by some researchers at Max Planck in Germany where they claimed to have found evidence of magnetic monopoles within Mossbauer spectra of some crystals )   For the sake of this discussion  the simple fact of the existence of the North magnetic pole,  necessarily  means that the South magnetic pole exists,   so  you cannot  say it exists but is not needed.   If the compass is to work it is needed, and if the compass works then it exists.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:51:26 PM by Rayzor »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
So you agree that it is perfectly possible for compasses to work on a flat Earth with a north magnetic pole on top and a south magnetic pole directly below.  Well, even with your derailment tactics, I think we are finally getting somewhere. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
So you agree that it is perfectly possible for compasses to work on a flat Earth with a north magnetic pole on top and a south magnetic pole directly below.  Well, even with your derailment tactics, I think we are finally getting somewhere.

The only thing  would be the magnetic inclination versus latitude,  but I'm happy to leave that for another day.     I'll even let the derailment comment slide.    ;D

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »

pin point the south pole ?
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »

pin point the south pole ?

You mean where is it?     It's at  lattitude 90S 

Mikey T.

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
Yes jroa, he didn't say specifically that there was no Southern pole.  So we are now into semantic arguments yet again.  I guess you went back to the evidence drawer for FE ideas and realized it was still empty.