Advice about formula for measurements

• 149 Replies

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
Re: Advice about formula for measurements
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »
SO when measuring something in the distance with your hand as reference, what would you do?
the question isn't what i'd do, it's what they did: and you cannot assume tha. i also understand how not to make assumptions.

Other than all the assumptions you make when you say you are right and everyone else is wrong?
why do you persist in whining about a theory you clearly have no understanding of?
oh well, i guess that makes every new scientific theory an assumption. you have a very stagnant view of the world. i believe people may be mistaken: that's just a fact, especially if they refuse to question their presuppositions. if you don't, you're an idiot.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:28 AM »
SO when measuring something in the distance with your hand as reference, what would you do?
the question isn't what i'd do, it's what they did: and you cannot assume tha. i also understand how not to make assumptions.

Other than all the assumptions you make when you say you are right and everyone else is wrong?
why do you persist in whining about a theory you clearly have no understanding of?
oh well, i guess that makes every new scientific theory an assumption. you have a very stagnant view of the world. i believe people may be mistaken: that's just a fact, especially if they refuse to question their presuppositions. if you don't, you're an idiot.

I got lost somewhere along the way,  what was the reason you can't point at a ship?    Was it the assumption the guy wasn't blind?,  Was it the assumption the ship existed?  Or was it the assumption that Jrowe could act in a logical and reasonable manner when confronted with overwhelmingly obvious facts that proved him wrong.   

Yes,  you can actually point your finger at a ship,  or some other distant object, and know for certain that your eye, your finger and the object are in a straight line.

Jrowe,  just stop before you launch another idiotic attempt at rebuttal,  and ask yourself,  are you absolutely sure that you are correct.  Insults and derailing don't count.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2015, 06:02:09 AM »
Yes,  you can actually point your finger at a ship,  or some other distant object, and know for certain that your eye, your finger and the object are in a straight line.
yes, you can do that. when have i ever said otehrwise?
it is not automatically the case, that is all i have ever said. if you can't even be bothered to pay attention to what i'm saying, why do you bother to respond?

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2015, 06:10:13 AM »
it is not automatically the case, that is all i have ever said. if you can't even be bothered to pay attention to what i'm saying, why do you bother to respond?

You just said it again.   Quote "it is not automatically the case"    Care to tell me when you would be trying to make a measurement that it would not be the case that you could point at the object.

It quite clearly IS automatically the case that you can see and point at the thing you are sighting.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2015, 06:16:34 AM »

You just said it again.   Quote "it is not automatically the case"    Care to tell me when you would be trying to make a measurement that it would not be the case that you could point at the object.

It quite clearly IS automatically the case that you can see and point at the thing you are sighting.

you can always point to the object, and look at your hand, but that just creates two straight lines: hand to eye, and hand to object. that doesn't mean they're both at the same angle. i have said this before.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
Well good thing I am not making assumptions because this is how the OP explained he took the measurement.
Yes, you are making assumptions.  You are assuming that no one except you understands what the OP has said. 

WOuld you care to explain how you measure something with your hand as a reference and not line up your eye, hand, and ship?

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
Well good thing I am not making assumptions because this is how the OP explained he took the measurement.
they did not specify a straight line. you're making assumptions.

Yes, you are making assumptions.  You are assuming that no one except you understands what the OP has said. 
untrue. i am saying you have not taken into account every possibility: at no point have you addressed this, you've just ignored me.

WOuld you care to explain how you measure something with your hand as a reference and not line up your eye, hand, and ship?
i have: if, for example, your hand is a little higher, you would have a straight line from your eye to your hand, and your hand to the ship: but you would not have a straight line from your eye to the ship that also passed your hand.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
they did not specify a straight line. you're making assumptions.
He did not need to specify a straight line.  He said he used his hand to measure the ship.  This means that he lined his hand up with the ship.  Only way to do is.  If you take a ruler to measure the length of a sheet of paper, do you not line the edge of the ruler up with the edge of the paper?  Or do you place the ruler some distance away from the paper?
untrue. i am saying you have not taken into account every possibility: at no point have you addressed this, you've just ignored me.
And you are making assumptions that the OP hasn't measured the ship the way he described.  I am addressing this point directly.  This is not ignoring.
i have: if, for example, your hand is a little higher, you would have a straight line from your eye to your hand, and your hand to the ship: but you would not have a straight line from your eye to the ship that also passed your hand.
And is the left edge of your hand lined up with the left edge of the ship?  If so, then the two lines are at the same angle.
Is the right edge of your hand lined up with the right edge of the ship?  If so, then those two lines are at the same angle.

If not, then this setup is an inefficient way to measure the ship.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »
This means that he lined his hand up with the ship.
i have never said he didn't. are you even bothering to read a word i say?

I am addressing this point directly.  This is not ignoring.
you're addressing things i never actually said. that is the definition of ignoring.

And is the left edge of your hand lined up with the left edge of the ship?
there's more to it than just the hand and the ship. pay attention moron.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »
So now since you agree that he lined his hand up with the ship, please point out my assumptions.
you're addressing things i never actually said. that is the definition of ignoring.
I have directly addressed every the only point you have brought up.  You going on about how I haven't is you actually ignoring me.
There is?  Please point out the OP mentioning anything but using his hand and the ship.  If you can't, then you are making assumptions about there being more to it than that.  And I thought you said you never made assumptions.  Seems like that is just another one of your many assertions.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2015, 12:24:30 PM »
So now since you agree that he lined his hand up with the ship, please point out my assumptions.
I have directly addressed every the only point you have brought up.  You going on about how I haven't is you actually ignoring me.
There is?  Please point out the OP mentioning anything but using his hand and the ship.  If you can't, then you are making assumptions about there being more to it than that.  And I thought you said you never made assumptions.  Seems like that is just another one of your many assertions.

This is the second time jrowe has been caught lying today.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »
did you forget the fact he needs to see with his eye?
are you really that dense?

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:37 PM »

oh you really don't want to go down that road, i've lost count of how many times i've seen you lying.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »

oh you really don't want to go down that road, i've lost count of how many times i've seen you lying.

Really?  Quote one.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »
There are many ways to solve this problem: Thales theorem, trigonometry, projection of vectors, etc. But the most basic issue here is how humans see. At an individual eye level, we dont see distance. We see points, and its angular position. The key word here is angular: if I put my finger so it blocks the sun, part of the figer is on the same angular position/s as the sun. When we have two objects, we see their distance as angular distance, not linear. Nature, of course, finds a way: given two points of view at a known distance, we can paralax track the distance using basic trigonometry that the brain does for us. This method doesnt spit a number, though, only a sense of distance. In order to calculate the precise distance, we can do paralx calculations on a large scale, or we can use thalos theorem to calculate the lenght of the projected triangle. Euclidian basic stuff that the greeks knew about thousands of years ago, really.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »
did you forget the fact he needs to see with his eye?
did you forget the fact that he measured the ship with his hand?

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2015, 01:55:27 AM »
if a ruler is placed in front of you so that both ends of the ruler are equal distances from your eye,  and the lines on the ruler are 'placed' along the side of a distant 100m long ship then two lines of sight are formed between your eye and the ship.

You then know:

1. The distance on the ruler that is the 50m point of the ship, 2. the distance to the ruler from your eye and 3. this is a right angle triangle and therefore you can calculate the bisected angle the ship makes with your eye.

Therefore using the calculated bisected angle the ship makes with your eye and using the 50m mid point of the ship and knowing this is a right angle triangle you can then calculate the distance to the ship

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:02:30 AM by Aliveandkicking »

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:24 AM »
did you forget the fact that he measured the ship with his hand?
i explicitly said he did. are you even reading my posts? we are concerned with three points.
tehre is a straight line from the ship to the hand. there is a straight line from the hand to his eye. there is a straight line from the ship to his eye.
i am waiting for you to even address my statement: this gives a triangle. you cannot just assume it is a straight line.

if a ruler is placed in front of you...
does not accurately describe the situation. irrelevant.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2015, 05:41:50 AM »

Really?  Quote one.

in just your recent posts:
"In all the months I have spent on this forum I haven't seen one flat Earth explanation for sunsets."
you have never even tried to address mine despite being repeatedly referred to it. you flee the thread every single time. if you haven't seen an explanation, it's your own ignorance and illiteracy at work.

"the Earth is round for the same reason water droplets are."
what, surface tension?

"you clearly said that gravity drops off linearly even though it does not"
in the thread where the first post explicitly said a non-linear decrease is what we observe

"You clearly don't understand basic math, which it probobaly why you haven't produced any aether equasions yet."
when you ahve explicitly and repeatedly been given your answer multiple times. you also refused to acknowledge my simple request, as you always do when i reply to this bs.

"He denies even the most basic easy to prove scientific knowlage which makes great predictions and denies it in favor of shouting "aether" whenever someone asks him a question."
also you apparently don't understand observation is how evidence is gained, and the fact a simple, well-defined concept answers multiple questions with no alteration is a strength.

you are a liar, just deal with it.

« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »

Only if you chose to be totally retarded and cut out what i have said to create meanings in your perverted little mind

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »

Only if you chose to be totally retarded and cut out what i have said to create meanings in your perverted little mind

i cut out what you said because it was long and unecessary and remains irrelevant.

« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »

i cut out what you said because it was long and unecessary and remains irrelevant.

It was totally relevant.  You are just a pervert troll

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2015, 08:16:12 AM »

1. learn to quote.
2. learn to not make assumptions.
3. try to even pay attention to the argument i'm making.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2015, 08:27:11 AM »

1. learn to quote.
This coming from someone who usually just italicizes other people because he can't figure out how to use the quote function.  Guess you do know how now, so will we quit seeing the italics?
You asserting assumptions are made is not us making assumptions.
What argument?  All you have done is expose your inability to think.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »

1. learn to quote.
This coming from someone who usually just italicizes other people because he can't figure out how to use the quote function.  Guess you do know how now, so will we quit seeing the italics?

i have answered that: i cannot use the 'insert quote' buttonw ithout my text box becoming empty. it is impossible for me to use multi-quotes: as alive is clearly able to use one quote however, as i am, he as no excuse.

read the thread. i have made the argument. if none of you will even address it, case closed.

« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2015, 08:30:27 AM »

1. learn to quote.

I was not even replying to you.  Tom asked for advise and i gave it.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »

1. learn to quote.

i have answered that: i cannot use the 'insert quote' buttonw ithout my text box becoming empty. it is impossible for me to use multi-quotes: as alive is clearly able to use one quote however, as i am, he as no excuse.
Irrelevant.  If your browser doesn't work right, get a new browser.  It is not like they are costly.  The fact remains that you are criticizing someone for not being able to properly use the quote function while you yourself do not.

read the thread. i have made the argument. if none of you will even address it, case closed.
You have made nothing but assertions.  Those assertions have been addressed.  You then make more assertions that no one has addressed those assertions. 

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
if you are not even going to read my posts, don't waste time by rambling blatant bs.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
if you are not even going to read my posts, don't waste time by rambling blatant bs.
You gonna take your own advice?

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »

What is your excuse for not using correct capitalization?
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.