No fish lensing, no everything - final evidence for shape of the Earth

• 29 Replies
?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

?

tappet

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
There is less left to right earth curvature in that video, than if you stand on a beach and look out to sea.
There must be more curvature at sea level.

Mikey T.

Now now, you guys swear there is no visible curvature standing on a beach, and there really isn't any.  But that video showed, well if I had to estimate it probably showed about 5 to 6 degrees of arc.  I didn't stop and measure the video so my guess there is just based off of what it looked like.  Maybe if I feel up to it I will frame by frame the video and give you the actual values, but there was a clear curvature shown.  I think at 121000 feet the horizon would have been at around 486 miles away if my quick calculations in my head are right.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
Wow, that is an excellent video. Whoever faked that did a great job!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:24:25 AM by Weatherwax »
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

nice curvature

Pongo

• Planar Moderator

Hi LogicalKiller, it's against forum rules to post nothing but a link.  It's considered low-content posting.

?

LogicalKiller

Hi LogicalKiller, it's against forum rules to post nothing but a link.  It's considered low-content posting.

Ok, I'll remember that.

But really? No one? No one on empirical evidence for RE?
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
What is it about that video that was so impressive to you that you rushed to this site in order to post it?  You are not getting any comments on it because, first of all, you did not put any time into your original post and you are just expecting everyone else to spend their time making a discussion for you, which is very lazy, and secondly, I don't think anyone, other than you, is very impressed with the video itself. 

?

LogicalKiller

What is it about that video that was so impressive to you that you rushed to this site in order to post it?  You are not getting any comments on it because, first of all, you did not put any time into your original post and you are just expecting everyone else to spend their time making a discussion for you, which is very lazy, and secondly, I don't think anyone, other than you, is very impressed with the video itself.

Isn't impressed, because...? Because you want to hid it out on 2 or whatever page. You clearly see in this video curvature of Earth and you just don't know what to say, because you can't say it's either fish lensing or fake.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
The horizon is curved as soon as the rocket gets above the mountains.  It is obviously a lens effect that is causing the curvature.  I am sure that you will try to deny what I said, and I can present some screen shots for you, if you require for me to do so. 

?

LogicalKiller

Re: No fish lensing, no everything - final evidence for shape of the Earth
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
The horizon is curved as soon as the rocket gets above the mountains.  It is obviously a lens effect that is causing the curvature.  I am sure that you will try to deny what I said, and I can present some screen shots for you, if you require for me to do so.

I see no curvature of horizon up to 1:40.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:24:59 PM »

I see no curvature of horizon up to 1:40.

I am not sure if you only see what you want to see, or if you are simply lying. 

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »
LogicalKiller, would you mind taking a screenshot of the supposed curvature in the video and posting it?
Read the FAQS.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
This video is great for an exercise to prove the earth is flat. You can put your finder on the horizon when the rocket is on the ground, and lo and behold when the rocket is 100,000 feet in the air your finger is still on the horizon.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
This video is great for an exercise to prove the earth is flat. You can put your finder on the horizon when the rocket is on the ground, and lo and behold when the rocket is 100,000 feet in the air your finger is still on the horizon.
Didn't work as the rocket isn't flying straight up.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

tappet

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 12:28:09 AM »
Now now, you guys swear there is no visible curvature standing on a beach, and there really isn't any.  But that video showed, well if I had to estimate it probably showed about 5 to 6 degrees of arc.  I didn't stop and measure the video so my guess there is just based off of what it looked like.  Maybe if I feel up to it I will frame by frame the video and give you the actual values, but there was a clear curvature shown.  I think at 121000 feet the horizon would have been at around 486 miles away if my quick calculations in my head are right.
Now now nothing, we know there is no left to right horizon curvature on the beach. But when you stand on the beach it looks like there is curvature until you bring a straight edge in to frame.
And also your fearless leader ausGeoff believes it is real left to right curvature you see when standing on a beach, ask him, he may even show you a photo.
So with your toy rockets, cut the nonsense and lets get fair dinkum, get some straight edges into the deceptive videos they really are getting bloody boring.

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:55 AM »

It's great to prove the Earth is flat when it clearly shows the Earth is round. Think.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
This also shows the scale. On the home page or somewhere, I read evidences that the world is flat: The bottoms of clouds are flat, you don't notice a curvature, you can see a ship from far away, all of these are evidences that the earth is big--not flat. On another note, how many people here know that the top of the Golden Gate Bridge is 2 feet wider at the top than at the bottom because of the curvature of the earth? It's true.  8)

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »
LogicalKiller, would you mind taking a screenshot of the supposed curvature in the video and posting it?
Read the FAQS.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 05:38:16 PM »
On another note, how many people here know that the top of the Golden Gate Bridge is 2 feet wider at the top than at the bottom because of the curvature of the earth? It's true.  8)

Who measured this?  Oh, wait, it is just another assumption that RE'ers are trying to pass off as evidence.  In other words, "if we first assume that the Earth is round, then we can calculate that the top of the bridge is wider, which is proof of a round Earth, even though nobody has ever verified this assumption that I am making."  Does this about sum up your argument? 

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
On another note, how many people here know that the top of the Golden Gate Bridge is 2 feet wider at the top than at the bottom because of the curvature of the earth? It's true.  8)

Who measured this?  Oh, wait, it is just another assumption that RE'ers are trying to pass off as evidence.  In other words, "if we first assume that the Earth is round, then we can calculate that the top of the bridge is wider, which is proof of a round Earth, even though nobody has ever verified this assumption that I am making."  Does this about sum up your argument?

First of all, it's not that hard to find verification of measurements on the Golden Gate Bridge http://goldengatebridge.org/research/factsGGBDesign.php

Secondly, you are basing your belief off of "reports have been made of ships disappearing from view, only to be found again through telescopes." Reports?! I doubt verification means much to you. What you want is a flat earth--no proof or verifications necessary. And I really don't care that it's what you want, or how you go about believing anything. It's not a moral issue, after all, and it certainly doesn't affect me. But it sure is fascinating, nonetheless.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »

First of all, it's not that hard to find verification of measurements on the Golden Gate Bridge http://goldengatebridge.org/research/factsGGBDesign.php

Secondly, you are basing your belief off of "reports have been made of ships disappearing from view, only to be found again through telescopes." Reports?! I doubt verification means much to you. What you want is a flat earth--no proof or verifications necessary. And I really don't care that it's what you want, or how you go about believing anything. It's not a moral issue, after all, and it certainly doesn't affect me. But it sure is fascinating, nonetheless.

Thanks, so I see that know one actually measured this, it was just calculated assuming that the Earth is round.  Good to know. 

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »

Thanks, so I see that know one actually measured this, it was just calculated assuming that the Earth is round.  Good to know.

lol... In order to build a bridge, measurements and stats must be recorded. I'm not sure how you're getting your assumption. Do you really think we "guess" what the measurements of a bridge are, based on a curved earth? Again, it's not hard to find verifications on facts such as these. http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/wcee/article/8_vol6_63.pdf

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 05:17:45 AM »

lol... In order to build a bridge, measurements and stats must be recorded. I'm not sure how you're getting your assumption. Do you really think we "guess" what the measurements of a bridge are, based on a curved earth? Again, it's not hard to find verifications on facts such as these. http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/wcee/article/8_vol6_63.pdf

Without actually measuring the distance from one tower to the other, then it is just calculated and done so assuming the Earth is round.  If you can not show me some evidence that someone actually measured the distances at the tops and bottoms, then we can only assume that the distances are calculated, not measured. 

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »

Without actually measuring the distance from one tower to the other, then it is just calculated and done so assuming the Earth is round.  If you can not show me some evidence that someone actually measured the distances at the tops and bottoms, then we can only assume that the distances are calculated, not measured.

But you don't go about building something (especially as important as a bridge) blindly, then "calculate" what the measurements might be. In the beginning stages, there's a plan. A team would work on what the measurements must be ahead of time, then workers are given direction to make it just so. Or are you only talking about the difference between the top and bottom? You think, for instance, that they measured out the plans for the top, thus placing the bottom, and calculating what the difference would be if we were on a round earth?

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »

But you don't go about building something (especially as important as a bridge) blindly, then "calculate" what the measurements might be. In the beginning stages, there's a plan. A team would work on what the measurements must be ahead of time, then workers are given direction to make it just so. Or are you only talking about the difference between the top and bottom? You think, for instance, that they measured out the plans for the top, thus placing the bottom, and calculating what the difference would be if we were on a round earth?

did you know that even most drunk builders are included to the great conspiracy?
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanislaw Lem

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »

wheather

It is so funny how you portray your roundy mythis, and then try to pass them off as facts.  This is hilarious.  lol

ausGeoff

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »
This is so funny... Firstly, jroa says:  "You are not getting any comments on it because, first of all, you did not put any time into your original post...".

He then apparently attempts to rectify this by posting the following tidbits over the course of seven posts—out of 26 so far LOL:

• What is it about that video that was so impressive to you that you rushed to this site in order to post it?
• It is obviously a lens effect that is causing the curvature
• I am sure that you will try to deny what I said
• I am not sure if you only see what you want to see, or if you are simply lying
• Oh, wait, it is just another assumption that RE'ers are trying to pass off as evidence
• Thanks, so I see that know one actually measured this, it was just calculated assuming that the Earth is round
• Without actually measuring the distance from one tower to the other, then it is just calculated and done so assuming the Earth is round...

Apparently jroa—who should know better as a moderator—considers this sort of dross to be meaningful content that adds something of interest to the thread.  And yet Pongo reckons the initial posting of this interesting video—well, interesting to REs at least—was "low content"!   Bizarre.

It's actually a very interesting and technically well made video, and particularly interesting are the construction/engineeering details and the still shots on their site.  Anybody with a genuine interest in astrophysics and aeronautics should be keen to see this sort of amateur stuff, and it makes one wonder why the flat earthers don't carry out a similar experiment—making sure to utilise a 50 - 55mm lens of course LOL.  Difficult to determine all-up costs, but probably sub-$20K.  Also of interest was the decreasing sound levels as the atmosphere thinned out towards the 121,000 ft altitude.  And at this altitude, the curvature of the earth is easily visible, with the geometric horizon 430 miles (685km) distant.

It's a pity to see a well-documented, amateur project such as this treated with contempt by the flat earthers;  then again, legitimate science is their enemy isn't it?

::)

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »
That video definitely shows the curvature of the Earth.  Great video LogicalKiller!
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

tappet

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »
This is so funny... Firstly, jroa says:  "You are not getting any comments on it because, first of all, you did not put any time into your original post...".

He then apparently attempts to rectify this by posting the following tidbits over the course of seven posts—out of 26 so far LOL:

• What is it about that video that was so impressive to you that you rushed to this site in order to post it?
• It is obviously a lens effect that is causing the curvature
• I am sure that you will try to deny what I said
• I am not sure if you only see what you want to see, or if you are simply lying
• Oh, wait, it is just another assumption that RE'ers are trying to pass off as evidence
• Thanks, so I see that know one actually measured this, it was just calculated assuming that the Earth is round
• Without actually measuring the distance from one tower to the other, then it is just calculated and done so assuming the Earth is round...

Apparently jroa—who should know better as a moderator—considers this sort of dross to be meaningful content that adds something of interest to the thread.  And yet Pongo reckons the initial posting of this interesting video—well, interesting to REs at least—was "low content"!   Bizarre.

It's actually a very interesting and technically well made video, and particularly interesting are the construction/engineeering details and the still shots on their site.  Anybody with a genuine interest in astrophysics and aeronautics should be keen to see this sort of amateur stuff, and it makes one wonder why the flat earthers don't carry out a similar experiment—making sure to utilise a 50 - 55mm lens of course LOL.  Difficult to determine all-up costs, but probably sub-$20K.  Also of interest was the decreasing sound levels as the atmosphere thinned out towards the 121,000 ft altitude.  And at this altitude, the curvature of the earth is easily visible, with the geometric horizon 430 miles (685km) distant.

It's a pity to see a well-documented, amateur project such as this treated with contempt by the flat earthers;  then again, legitimate science is their enemy isn't it?

::)
No straight edge, no interest.