Air Resistance

• 54 Replies
Air Resistance
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »
Lets say I drop a bowling ball and a feather at the same time, with gravity we have air resistance which explains why the feather will hit the ground at a later time then the bowling ball. The FE theory states that the earth is constantly accelerating upwards creating the effect that most people think of as gravity. But if the earth is constantly accelerating upwards how do you explain items such as feathers with greater surface area reaching the ground later. Wouldn't the earth catch up to a feather at the same time as any other object?

Re: Air Resistance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:23:53 AM »
Lets say I drop a bowling ball and a feather at the same time, with gravity we have air resistance which explains why the feather will hit the ground at a later time then the bowling ball. The FE theory states that the earth is constantly accelerating upwards creating the effect that most people think of as gravity. But if the earth is constantly accelerating upwards how do you explain items such as feathers with greater surface area reaching the ground later. Wouldn't the earth catch up to a feather at the same time as any other object?

Good question. There's the more pertinent question as to how the air stays on the Earth in the first place if it's constantly accelerating.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »

Good question. There's the more pertinent question as to how the air stays on the Earth in the first place if it's constantly accelerating.

..and the question of what is holding all this - the feather, the bowling ball, the earth - together in the first place without gravity.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Well if we were to assume an upwards-accelerating flat earth that somehow managed to keep air on top of it, air would be moving up with the flat earth so the aerodynamic situation in the two scenarios would be the same, right?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
I'm guessing the world's held together by nuclear forces, the air kept in by the ice wall/aether wall/mysterious teleporting aether depending on who you ask. The air would be accelerated by the Earth, so it'd still offer resistance when you drop something.
There are answers to most basic questions as they get asked the most. The real challenge is to try to get them to give evidence of what they say, or some way it could occur.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:56:17 AM »
Well if we were to assume an upwards-accelerating flat earth that somehow managed to keep air on top of it, air would be moving up with the flat earth so the aerodynamic situation in the two scenarios would be the same, right?

Is the whole universe full of air in this flat Earth idea? If not what stops the air on Earth dissipating?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:52:01 AM »
The earth is accelerating upwards and is pushing the air up with it.  This somehow gives the illusion of a round earth where everything is held together with a band-aid term called gravity.  Because the air is accelerating with the earth, when things move through it they are affected by air resistance relative to the earth. This is why a feather falls slower than a bowling ball.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:20 PM »

Is the whole universe full of air in this flat Earth idea? If not what stops the air on Earth dissipating?

You've just invited Jrowesceptimaticalt to come in and name aether as the thing that holds it in. Except that alt claims air doesn't exist - so he'll log in as Tausami Vauxhall to do it.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

ausGeoff

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 12:15:41 PM »
The earth is accelerating upwards and is pushing the air up with it.

This is just a personal opinion Pongo.  We need an accredited citation to support your claim.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
The earth is accelerating upwards and is pushing the air up with it.

This is just a personal opinion Pongo.  We need an accredited citation to support your claim.

One day this civilisation will crumble and a new one will rise in its place. On that day, Pongo will provide evidence. Meanwhile, there will be a short delay.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »
You've just invited Jrowesceptimaticalt to come in and name aether as the thing that holds it in. Except that alt claims air doesn't exist - so he'll log in as Tausami Vauxhall to do it.

Quote from: Forum Rules
8. Low-content Posting/Derailment
Do not make spammy, non-contributive or low-quality posts, or derail threads by deliberately dragging discussion away from the original topic.

Just a friendly reminder, Neil.  :)

Also, I agree with Pongo that gravity is band-aid solution. Round Earth theory actually relies on several complex band-aid solutions with no supporting evidence. Gravity and dark matter are the biggest offenders here.

Read the FAQS.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
Are people really defending this argument? I mean, the Earth's round, but there are some ways that work at showing that, and some that don't. This is very much in the latter category.
Scepti has the ice dome, completely containing the air. Multiple people have the ice wall high enough to contain the atmosphere. Vauxhall has air that probably teleports from one side of the Earth to the other. JRowe just doesn't have air.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Vauxhall

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »
Are people really defending this argument? I mean, the Earth's round, but there are some ways that work at showing that, and some that don't. This is very much in the latter category.
Scepti has the ice dome, completely containing the air. Multiple people have the ice wall high enough to contain the atmosphere. Vauxhall has air that probably teleports from one side of the Earth to the other. JRowe just doesn't have air.

Air? Teleports? What the hell are you even talking about? I feel like you are missing important details in our theories... maybe that's why you don't understand them?  ???
Read the FAQS.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
Air? Teleports? What the hell are you even talking about? I feel like you are missing important details in our theories... maybe that's why you don't understand them?  ???

So, your 'instantaneous aetheric transmission' does not apply to air?

Vauxhall

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »

So, your 'instantaneous aetheric transmission' does not apply to air?

Unless aether is air now, which I've never claimed.

Wait, are you saying that the atmosphere itself teleports through the aether? If so, I'm not sure about that. I know that solid matter can be teleported, but I'm not sure about air. It would be interesting to test.
Read the FAQS.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »

Wait, are you saying that the atmosphere itself teleports through the aether? If so, I'm not sure about that. I know that solid matter can be teleported, but I'm not sure about air. It would be interesting to test.

That's what I'm saying. Hence the air teleporting. If you can't come up with an exception for gases, might as well add it to your theory: it seems the best you've got for an answer (as clearly any wall wouldn't ascend far enough to contain the atmosphere, and also allow planes, which you've said do go over the edge).

Vauxhall

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »

That's what I'm saying. Hence the air teleporting. If you can't come up with an exception for gases, might as well add it to your theory: it seems the best you've got for an answer (as clearly any wall wouldn't ascend far enough to contain the atmosphere, and also allow planes, which you've said do go over the edge).

Damn, Jane. I underestimated you. I just might adopt this idea of yours, because it does make a lot of sense. Here I was thinking that the aetheric wall kept the atmosphere in... but it would work just as easily if the air simply teleported through the wall, making escape into space impossible.
Read the FAQS.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
Damn, Jane. I underestimated you. I just might adopt this idea of yours, because it does make a lot of sense. Here I was thinking that the aetheric wall kept the atmosphere in... but it would work just as easily if the air simply teleported through the wall, making escape into space impossible.

Why would it stop air and not planes/people? I assumed you already explained it like that, hence why I said so: seems a natural consequence.
You still need an actual mechanism or explanation for transmission, mind you.

Vauxhall

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »

Why would it stop air and not planes/people? I assumed you already explained it like that, hence why I said so: seems a natural consequence.

There is nothing in the laws of physics that prevents teleportation of matter. Small scale teleportation has already been achieved in labs.
Read the FAQS.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
There is nothing in the laws of physics that prevents teleportation of matter. Small scale teleportation has already been achieved in labs.

That's not the question. By what mechanism does it occur, and how are things guided to the far side of the world rather than a random location?
A lab isn't the real world, just because something happens in a lab (on an incredibly small scale) doesn't mean it can happen naturally.

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »

Got any links on teleportation of matter? I'm pretty sure only information of a spin state has been successfully teleported.

Vauxhall

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
Got any links on teleportation of matter? I'm pretty sure only information of a spin state has been successfully teleported.

http://bit.ly/1EZ2cwA
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »

http://bit.ly/1EZ2cwA
OK  ::) Have you read any of the pages that search returns? Quoting from first three:

quantum physics, researchers teleport data an unprecedented distance...
Quantum teleportation is a process by which quantum information...
In quantum teleportation, quantum information can be transmitted

If you have a source that says matter can be teleported, I'd like to see it please.

Vauxhall

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 01:53:53 PM »
If you accept the atom theory (that we're all made of atoms), then you can easily come to the conclusion that if atoms can be teleported (which is what has been done), then beings made of atoms can be teleported as well. Of course, this is all theoretical.

Or, have you changed your opinion about atoms? Are we made of atoms or not?

Like I said before, nothing in the laws of physics prevents teleportation. Atoms have been teleported if you accept these findings.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:56:45 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »
If you accept the atom theory (that we're all made of atoms), then you can easily come to the conclusion that if atoms can be teleported (which is what has been done), then beings made of atoms can be teleported as well. Of course, this is all theoretical.

Or, have you changed your opinion about atoms? Are we made of atoms or not?

Like I said before, nothing in the laws of physics prevents teleportation. Atoms have been teleported if you accept these findings.
You mean to say that you do not have a source for teleportation of matter? I simply asked if you could link to a source saying so, I certainly have never seen a paper claiming successful teleportation of atoms.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »

Not entirely true. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle ensures you can't know the details of what it is you're teleporting: you can manage it with quantum particles (eg: photons) due to entanglement, but to do that on a large scale, and do so without killing the person you're teleporting, and to top it off, do so via a natural process with no oversight...

Vauxhall

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
Not entirely true. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle ensures you can't know the details of what it is you're teleporting: you can manage it with quantum particles (eg: photons) due to entanglement, but to do that on a large scale, and do so without killing the person you're teleporting, and to top it off, do so via a natural process with no oversight...

Very improbable, I agree... but still possible.

You mean to say that you do not have a source for teleportation of matter? I simply asked if you could link to a source saying so, I certainly have never seen a paper claiming successful teleportation of atoms.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2643332/Beam-Scientists-sat-teleportation-possible-transfer-atoms.html

Read the FAQS.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2643332/Beam-Scientists-sat-teleportation-possible-transfer-atoms.html

And it says:
What we are teleporting is the state of a particle
and
Prof Hanson's team showed for the first time that it was possible to teleport information encoded into sub-atomic particles between two points three metres apart

I hadn't seen this particular news before so thanks for that, but do you have a source for actual teleportation of matter?

Vauxhall

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
I have given you data on the teleportation of 'atoms'. I have no evidence on the teleportation of solid matter, but that is irrelevant. If atoms can be teleported then matter can be teleported. I'm having a hard time understanding why you are being so difficult about this.

Is it because you're wrong?
Read the FAQS.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
i believe all matter was originally aetheric in nature: that was how the world we see was produced from the big bang. when we near the extreme concentration of aether at the side of the world, we revert to our original state, and are carried on the currents of aether along and through the world. once we leave the concentration, we're matter again.
think of it like heating. evaporate water, you can move it through a tunnel of gas. once it leaves the heat, however, it's back to liquid.

to neimoka, this form of teleportation is, in my view, fairly different, but you are ignoring how matter is being teleported. information is all that needs to be transmitted, as it means the matter at the far end takes on the necessary properties.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.