Poll

Which images are fake? (select all that apply)

Image 1
10 (23.8%)
Image 2
9 (21.4%)
Image 3
6 (14.3%)
Image 4
17 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Just because an image "looks fake" doesn't mean that it's actually fake.

• 30 Replies

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
On this forum there have been a lot of people that dismiss images as fake because they "look fake", but that is not an accurate way of judging if something is fake or not and I will prove it.

Take a look at these 4 images, some of them are fake and some of them are real, use that magical fake sense that you all seem to have and tell me which is which.  You are not allowed to check the sources of the images, do a Google image search, or do anything else that gives you information about these images that you can't get by looking at them.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

I will reveal the right answers and the sources for my images once a good few people have guessed.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:45:26 AM by mikeman7918 »
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

kman

• Pastafarian
2 is fake.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
I say that all 4 are fake.  The textures aren't quite right.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
I have added a poll to make this a little easier.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:01:27 PM by mikeman7918 »

I guessed all but number 3 for being fake. Were any of these the works of Andrew price? I'll just have to hold my pretty little horses.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

All 4 have faults .
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

All 4 have faults .

Eagerly awaiting an in depth detailed description as to why?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
I'm going for one and three with the full expectation I will be utterly wrong.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

?

tappet

No 1 is fake,

My god, it has 3 ovens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
I'm going with number 2 and 4 being fake. I'm going to send my reasoning to mikeman in a pm.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
1 and 4 at least.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
I'd like to fancy myself as an "expert" image analyst so I will share my opinion.

Using no tools, software, zoom or anything other than my eyes this is my conclusion.

I am assuming only 1 image is fake. Of course there are some minor discrepancies in all of the images, but the only image that I am 100% certain of being fake is Number 4.

I can just tell, that it is obviously a screenshot from a video game or computer generated image. It is a very realistic image at first glance, but upon closer examination there is pixelization or choppy edges on the Lantern and Boots whereas a real photograph would have blurry edges.

The nail in the coffin for me is the moon and stars in the background which look fake to me. If the camera was focused in the foreground with the bright Lantern, I don't think it would be possible to see the stars in that great detail. Plus, whatever that shooting-star/crescent shaped cloud in the top left is looks unrealistic as well.

And now for my thoughts on the other 3 images.

The first image appears to have some sort of camera filter like Tilt-Shift that makes it look smaller than it really is. But it could be a real kitchen scene.

Number 2 is a very good image if it's fake. It would have to be a painting, and judging by the signature in the bottom right corner it's possible. The only things out of place for me, is the amount of egg white on the table, the perfectly placed egg shell fragments, and the texture of the egg carton looks a little blurry in places.

Number 3 is a little too simple to make any definitive conclusions. It is like a scene from an Ikea display, but there are some details which lead me to believe it's real. The Desk and the Floor could be real, and the objects like the Computer, plant and Ipad were photoshopped in.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
Image 3 is fake. Nobody is that tidy.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

legion

• You are in my VR
My guess is images 3 & 4 are fake digitally rendered.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:31:53 PM by legion »
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
Image 1 looks digitally generated, perhaps a 3D artist rendition of a model kitchen? Based on basic knowledge of how ikea and other furniture companies advertise their wares on the internet, I'm inclined to say that this is fake.

Image 2 is obviously computer generated. Having experience in graphic design and computer animation, I can tell that the following are computer generated textures: egg shells, yolk, and the tile it is sitting on.

Image 3 looks real. I can't really find much wrong with it other than the weird black thing on the left side of the desk. I would have to analyze this further, but I'm inclined to say that this is the only genuine photo in the set.

Image 4 is fake. You can tell by the wooden floor, it is obviously a texture template used by photo editing software. The lighting is also off.
Read the FAQS.

Oh this looks fun!

I voted images #1 and #4 are fake, I think they are computer generated. On #4 it is the sole of the boot that just looks off to me.

Now here is my thoughts on the other pics, I think #2 is a real picture but staged for a photo shoot or something, fake egg white and such. And I think #3 is a real picture of not real things. I would say everything on the desk is fake, a paper cut out or painted on the wall/desk as an optical illusion.

Now to sit back and be totally wrong on all counts.  :)

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Here are the correct answers:

Image 1 is real
It's a picture from IKEA.

Image 2 is fake
It's the winner of Andrew Price's Blender photo-realism contest.  I think the signature at the bottom might have gave it away to some people.

Image 3 is real
I picked this one because it looks so fake.  If everyone here didn't already know that I was trying to trick you then more people probably would have said it was fake,

Image 4 is fake
This one was part of Andrew Price's lighting in cycles Blender tutorial.  I picked it because it looks real at first glance but it is not too hard to figure out that it's fake.

I have locked the voting so nobody can change their answer.  The point I am trying to make with this is that real pictures can look fake and fake pictures can look real, especially on the first two images where more people thought image 1 was fake then image 2.  There is no bias among anyone here about which pictures are real and fake, but if I posted a picture of a round Earth and a picture of a flat Earth then I don't think most people would even bother doing a logical assessment.  That being said, which of these pictures looks more real:

Image 1:

Image 2:

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist

Image 1 is real

Image 2 is fake
It's the winner of Andrew Price's Blender photo-realism contest.  I think the signature at the bottom might have gave it away to some people.

Image 3 is real
I picked this one because it looks so fake.  If everyone here didn't already know that I was trying to trick you then more people probably would have said it was fake,

Image 4 is fake
This one was part of Andrew Price's lighting in cycles Blender tutorial.  I picked it because it looks real at first glance but it is not too hard to figure out that it's fake.

I have locked the voting so nobody can change their answer.  The point I am trying to make with this is that real pictures can look fake and fake pictures can look real, especially on the first two images where more people thought image 1 was fake then image 2.  There is no bias among anyone here about which pictures are real and fake, but if I posted a picture of a round Earth and a picture of a flat Earth then I don't think most people would even bother doing a logical assessment.  That being said, which of these pictures looks more real:

Image 1: glabe

Image 1 is actually fake. I have since looked it up.  Ikea uses 3D rendering to display their kitchen models. Maybe fact check before you post next time, eh?  ::)

With that being said, all my guesses were correct. Now what was the point you were trying to prove again?

Regarding your new images, image 1 is clearly fake as Jroa has pointed out to you 100s of times by now. This is a picture from the 70s. NASA even admits that they are digitally altered photos. They claim to have taken many smaller slices and arranged them together to make this picture. Why you continue to deny this is beyond me...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:47:42 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

legion

• You are in my VR
On this forum there have been a lot of people that dismiss images as fake because they "look fake", but that is not an accurate way of judging if something is fake or not and I will prove it.

Mate, you proved nothing. Again.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
Regarding your new images, image 1 is clearly fake as Jroa has pointed out to you 100s of times by now. This is a picture from the 70s. NASA even admits that they are digitally altered photos. They claim to have taken many smaller slices and arranged them together to make this picture. Why you continue to deny this is beyond me...
Oh cool, so I guess all panoramas are fake.
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

Under that logic an image is fake if it's a panorama or if it's alpha is boosted or lowered.  That's not called manipulating images, that's called processing images to make them show more detail or have a wider field of view.  Also, Jora has never actually provided any evidence that the blue marble photo is fake, he has just said it.  He did a good job with pointing out the exact flaws in each image and explaining how he came to his conclusion so why can't he do that for space pictures?

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.

Under that logic an image is fake if it's a panorama or if it's alpha is boosted or lowered.  That's not called manipulating images, that's called processing images to make them show more detail or have a wider field of view.  Also, Jora has never actually provided any evidence that the blue marble photo is fake, he has just said it.  He did a good job with pointing out the exact flaws in each image and explaining how he came to his conclusion so why can't he do that for space pictures?
The marble photo was altered. It was flipped to better match our idea of North=Up.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

The marble photo was altered. It was flipped to better match our idea of North=Up.

With some flat earther logic that means that the photo might as well have been entirely computer generated.

With some flat earther logic that means that the photo might as well have been entirely computer generated.
Glad to see all my 3D rendering obsessions paid off and I guessed them all correctly.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:09:07 PM by FlatOrange »
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
This is all irrelevant.  An image that looks real, can be a fake. 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
This is all irrelevant.  An image that looks real, can be a fake.

But an image that looks fake can be real, that is my point.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
Does this like fake or real?

or real fake?  ;D
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

or real fake?  ;D

Looks fine to me.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

or real fake?  ;D

I don't see anything wrong with it, the gas from the engine causes the lens to fog up, the debris totally looks like it's in lunar gravity, the ascent stage moves in a way that makes sense considering there is a rocket under it, and I don't know how something as realistic as this could be faked with 1969 technology.

sokarul

• Extra Racist

Image 1 is real

Image 2 is fake

Image 3 is real

Image 4 is fake

Image 1: glabe

Image 1 is actually fake. I have since looked it up.  Ikea uses 3D rendering to display their kitchen models. Maybe fact check before you post next time, eh?  ::)

With that being said, all my guesses were correct. Now what was the point you were trying to prove again?

Nothing about image #2?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.