Why is sun not moving faster at noon?

• 26 Replies
Why is sun not moving faster at noon?
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
Good day everyone and please excuse english not being my native but I'll try my best to clarify the idea I have in mind. If the sun is traveling around north pole on a flat plane above us then why don't we observe differences in sun's speed at the sky? Shouldn't sun be moving faster at noon as it's above us?

A bit longer explanation to the question:

Observe the movement of the sun during a day. Sun appears to be moving at constant radial speed on the sky all times. Watch suns movement or take a sundial and observe the shadow it if you like. A shadow on the sundial moves at constant rate during the entire time that the sun is visible does it not?

Now in the FAQ there is an illustration about sun's orbit around the North Pole. That theory about sun rotating around the north pole at some plane above flat earth would not result an observed constant radial speed to the sun. If sun is moving on a flat plane then this would appear similar for an observer if let's say the observer observes a jet fly by or a passing car on the side of a road. At first you hardly notice that the jet has radial speed at all but when it comes closer it appears to have very high radial speed when it passes you. At noon the sun is at highest point so it's like the jet is above you whooshing over.

Sun does not geometrically speaking behave like the jet so therefore it cannot be traveling on a flat plane above an observer. There was topics about perspective and sun's behaviour near horizon that was explained by bendy light or so but this would need to be explained during the entire day. We don't observe anything but constant movement of the sun. Sun orbiting on a flat plane cannot be therefore be right as it contradicts the very fundamental observation. Any comments from those who support the sun orbiting north pole hypothesis?

Cheers.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
Re: Why is sun not moving faster at noon?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 01:03:10 PM »
I've never thought about this one. Good question!
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »
Good day everyone and please excuse english not being my native but I'll try my best to clarify the idea I have in mind. If the sun is traveling around north pole on a flat plane above us then why don't we observe differences in sun's speed at the sky? Shouldn't sun be moving faster at noon as it's above us?

Observe the movement of the sun during a day. Sun appears to be moving at constant radial speed on the sky all times. Watch suns movement or take a sundial and observe the shadow it if you like. A shadow on the sundial moves at constant rate during the entire time that the sun is visible does it not?

Now in the FAQ there is an illustration about sun's orbit around the North Pole. That theory about sun rotating around the north pole at some plane above flat earth would not result an observed constant radial speed to the sun. If sun is moving on a flat plane then this would appear similar for an observer if let's say the observer observes a jet fly by or a passing car on the side of a road. At first you hardly notice that the jet has radial speed at all but when it comes closer it appears to have very high radial speed when it passes you. At noon the sun is at highest point so it's like the jet is above you whooshing over.

Sun does not geometrically speaking behave like the jet so therefore it cannot be traveling on a flat plane above an observer. There was topics about perspective and sun's behaviour near horizon that was explained by bendy light or so but this would need to be explained during the entire day. We don't observe anything but constant movement of the sun. Sun orbiting on a flat plane cannot be therefore be right as it contradicts the very fundamental observation. Any comments from those who support the sun orbiting north pole hypothesis?

Cheers.

First, I do not know the answer in an FET scenario.  I have some possible ideas, but not enough time invested to be certain of anything yet.  Second, this is actually not a good question, because it is well known that the sun does appear to change speeds over the course of the day....most notably seeming to accelerate at sunrise and sunset.  The only explanations I have seen for this...in any theory (FET, RET, IRET).....don't completely work.  You have to take them all on faith.  So.....I am unconvinced of any proposed solution at this time.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »

Cheers.

First, I do not know the answer in an FET scenario.  I have some possible ideas, but not enough time invested to be certain of anything yet.  Second, this is actually not a good question, because it is well known that the sun does appear to change speeds over the course of the day....most notably seeming to accelerate at sunrise and sunset.  The only explanations I have seen for this...in any theory (FET, RET, IRET).....don't completely work.  You have to take them all on faith.  So.....I am unconvinced of any proposed solution at this time.
There is no evidence of any acceleration of the sun of any kind. In fact, even if the sun accelerated during sunsets and sunrises, then it would be against your delusion, because it should instead decelerate as it moves further away.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:43:49 PM »

Cheers.

There is no evidence of any acceleration of the sun of any kind. In fact, even if the sun accelerated during sunsets and sunrises, then it would be against your delusion, because it should instead decelerate as it moves further away.
you haven't made a sundial , have you  ::)
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:29 PM »

Cheers.

Again, no evidence that the sun accelerates as it nears the horizon. But like I said, even if it did, then it would be a direct contradiction to your model.

Assuming a flat Earth, and that the sun moves... say 500 miles per hour, watch what happens as the sun gets further and further away:

I used a sun altitude of 3000 miles.

This does not account for the fact that the sun is curving around the Earth, thus slowing it down as it moves away even more so.

Can you explain this contradiction, since we don't see the sun decelerate as it gets further from you?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:53:38 PM by Jet Fission »

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:05:58 AM »

Cheers.

Your point being what exactly?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 07:20:11 AM »

Cheers.

Your point being what exactly?

That he has no formal education and barely survives every day without getting killed due to his own stupidity.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
What. None of the true believers want to take a crack at it? And while you are at it, then do take account that if some atmospheric lensing is to blame, then star positions would be screwed up at night due to this lensing. And yes I do own a telescope and have observed the stars.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 06:56:29 AM »
This is not a debate forum.  If you do not have a question or answer about the flat Earth, then please refrain from posting here. 

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
what kind of question is this? do the math, provide some figures if you want anyone to take you seriously. from what i can see the difference would be minimal, probably not even noticeable.
are you seriously going to pretend you've somehow managed to take multiple readings of the time the sun took to cross an area you couldn't mark out in the sky? that beggars belief.
the sun could well be faster at noon. it wouldn't be much, you've just assumed it isn't. you haven't done any thought for yourself, you've just assumed it's not the case, prayed for your round earth fantasy, and offered nothing of any merit. why should people bother answering your clearly pointless question? you've already made up your minds. you can't even know whether what you're saying is true.

you can't mark out a distance in the sky. you can't look directly at the sun. you haven't time its movement at different times. you can't mark the exact same starting time each day due to how day length changes (due to the location of the sun in the aetheric whirlpool). everything you've said is based on the notion that the earth is round, with no facts or figures to justify what you're saying, and somehow it's our problem?

you really are fools.

please, go ahead. manage to find a way to mark the same starting time respective to the sun's movement that day. manage to mark a distance for it to cross in a day, and stare upwards timing it until it reaches that point.
saying that something proves the earth isn't flat when you haven't even shown that something is true is absurd.

think for yourself.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »
Your avatar is truly frightening to me.
Read the FAQS.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:15 PM »
what kind of question is this? do the math, provide some figures if you want anyone to take you seriously. from what i can see the difference would be minimal, probably not even noticeable.
are you seriously going to pretend you've somehow managed to take multiple readings of the time the sun took to cross an area you couldn't mark out in the sky? that beggars belief.
the sun could well be faster at noon. it wouldn't be much, you've just assumed it isn't. you haven't done any thought for yourself, you've just assumed it's not the case, prayed for your round earth fantasy, and offered nothing of any merit. why should people bother answering your clearly pointless question? you've already made up your minds. you can't even know whether what you're saying is true.

you can't mark out a distance in the sky. you can't look directly at the sun. you haven't time its movement at different times. you can't mark the exact same starting time each day due to how day length changes (due to the location of the sun in the aetheric whirlpool). everything you've said is based on the notion that the earth is round, with no facts or figures to justify what you're saying, and somehow it's our problem?

you really are fools.

please, go ahead. manage to find a way to mark the same starting time respective to the sun's movement that day. manage to mark a distance for it to cross in a day, and stare upwards timing it until it reaches that point.
saying that something proves the earth isn't flat when you haven't even shown that something is true is absurd.

im uneducated
Who said that we haven't tried to measure the speed of the sun throughout the day?

And you do realize that because you're making the positive claim that it does,  you're the one who has to provide the evidence.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »

you really are fools.

im uneducated
Who said that we haven't tried to measure the speed of the sun throughout the day?

And you do realize that because you're making the positive claim that it does,  you're the one who has to provide the evidence.

what are you smoking? i've outlined why it is impossible to do something like that, and now you're insisting i have to?
that's the problem with round earthers like you. you make shit up as you go along, and now the only thing that convinces you is to do something i have just outlined as impossible.
we can measure the speed from sunrise to sunset as there are fixed markers. we can't do the same at specific portions in the sky. do you read? what the hell is wrong with your mind?

learn to think. not even think for yourself yet, that comes later. try applying the slightest bit of logical thought before you vomit over the page.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »

you really are fools.

im uneducated

what are you smoking? i've outlined why it is impossible to do something like that, and now you're insisting i have to?
that's the problem with round earthers like you. you make shit up as you go along, and now the only thing that convinces you is to do something i have just outlined as impossible.
we can measure the speed from sunrise to sunset as there are fixed markers. we can't do the same at specific portions in the sky. do you read? what the hell is wrong with your mind?

learn to think. not even think for yourself yet, that comes later. try applying the slightest bit of logical thought before you vomit over the page.
Do you know what a camera and a protractor mount is?

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »
For real? Even ancient egyptians and babylonians used shadow clocks to determine the time and it is outright insult against all people who relied their ability to measure time with sundials before mechanical clocks, to claim that nobody hasn't just noticed the sun moving at different rate. That claim is not an answer to the question posed here.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
For real? Even ancient egyptians and babylonians used shadow clocks to determine the time and it is outright insult against all people who relied their ability to measure time with sundials before mechanical clocks, to claim that nobody hasn't just noticed the sun moving at different rate. That claim is not an answer to the question posed here.

wow, so using a shadow clock as a means of telling the time automatically means shadow clocks are accurate to the minute? real smart logic there.
besides, shadows are not a reliable way of gauging the speed of the sun. they depend on angle, not just location. the sun's route causes an angle no matter where it is. plus, they are too small scale to measure the small change.

i answered the question. pretending otherwise only shows your dishonesty. the change would barely be noticeable, even if it was possible to measure.
i notice round earthers are always first in line to demand math from flat earthers (despite the fact data is hidden from us), and then provide none of their own. you're claiming the change in speed would be noticeable. please prove it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:25:04 PM by JRoweSkeptic »

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »

wow, so using a shadow clock as a means of telling the time automatically means shadow clocks are accurate to the minute? real smart logic there.
besides, shadows are not a reliable way of gauging the speed of the sun. they depend on angle, not just location. the sun's route causes an angle no matter where it is. plus, they are too small scale to measure the small change.
Then get a camera and a tripod with a protractor axis. Take measurements throughout the day. It's very simple.

I agree with MattiNasa though, can we have an answer to the question?

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

Then get a camera and a tripod with a protractor axis. Take measurements throughout the day. It's very simple.

I agree with MattiNasa though, can we have an answer to the question?

JRowe is right about the accuracy. They are accurate only up to +-1 minute. I was going to figure out some sort of equation how much would you see difference but while I was doing that I found another issue. Imagine that you are at equator during equinox. There during the equinox the sun rises exactly from east at 06:00 and travels through zenith by 12:00 and sets west at 18:00. Sun travels straight line from east to west.

Now you can forget the original question. This case is actually a bigger problem with sun and north pole theory. If sun is circulating around north pole and during equinox someone at equator is going to see the sun above him at zenith at noon then sun must have been risen from northeast and sets to northwest. Now that you would notice. So how to fit that into the theory?

Longer explanation: If sun's trajectory is is a circle on a flat plane and you are on a location where sun goes exactly over you (equator during equinox) then that circle is north from you as it's southernmost point is above you. Then sunrise would happen from northeast.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
JRowe is right about the accuracy. They are accurate only up to +-1 minute. I was going to figure out some sort of equation how much would you see difference but while I was doing that I found another issue. Imagine that you are at equator during equinox. There during the equinox the sun rises exactly from east at 06:00 and travels through zenith by 12:00 and sets west at 18:00. Sun travels straight line from east to west.

Now you can forget the original question. This case is actually a bigger problem with sun and north pole theory. If sun is circulating around north pole and during equinox someone at equator is going to see the sun above him at zenith at noon then sun must have been risen from northeast and sets to northwest. Now that you would notice. So how to fit that into the theory?

Longer explanation: If sun's trajectory is is a circle on a flat plane and you are on a location where sun goes exactly over you (equator during equinox) then that circle is north from you as it's southernmost point is above you. Then sunrise would happen from northeast.

It's worse that that. For someone at mid-southern latitudes, during their summer the Sun will rise in the southeast and set in the southwest. Go far enough south and the Sun will skim the horizon due south of you. If the Sun were circling the north pole in a plane above a flat earth, how could that happen? If that model were right, the further south you go, the further north the Sun should always appear.

Any of our friends down under want to confirm this?

[Edit] add emphasis to due south
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:45:51 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
The shadow of a sun dial does not move at a constant rate though. In the evenings it's longer than at noon. For this to happen the top of the shadow must move faster than the bottom of the shadow.

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »
The shadow of a sun dial does not move at a constant rate though. In the evenings it's longer than at noon. For this to happen the top of the shadow must move faster than the bottom of the shadow.
That depends on the design of the sundial.

On this one the indicator moves at a constant rate all day, all year:

It's not a projection of the shadow of a gnomon onto a flat surface, which will cause it to change length. Instead it maps the circular path of the Sun across the sky onto the spherical face of the sundial. As the obliquity of the ecliptic causes the Sun to move north and south in the sky, the shadow of the indicator bead remains the same length throughout the day and throughout the year, and the rate of movement doesn't change. Cool, huh?

[Edit] Typo.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:23:34 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »
Alpha, this is not a debate forum.  If you do not have a flatEarth question or answer, then please refrain from posting here. 

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
Alpha, this is not a debate forum.  If you do not have a flatEarth question or answer, then please refrain from posting here.
If you do not have a valid flat Earth answer, please refrain from posting here.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 12:57:08 PM »

Your claim that the top of the shadow moves faster than the bottom of the shadow is not a valid flat earth answer to the question "Why is the sun not moving faster at noon".
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

Your claim that the top of the shadow moves faster than the bottom of the shadow is not a valid flat earth answer to the question "Why is the sun not moving faster at noon".
Thanks... I wasn't gonna bother. It's not the answer he wanted to see, so it doesn't belong here. This is a Flat-Earth site and he's a moderator.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »

First, I made that claim, not Jroa.  Second, if you take the time to read the topic, MattiNasa asked the following question in her or his opening post:

A shadow on the sundial moves at constant rate during the entire time that the sun is visible does it not?

I was clearly addressing that question.  Please don't let your witch hunt bleed into the serious forums as it detracts from the threads.