Air Density

• 7 Replies

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
Air Density
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
We all agree that air loses density the higher you go up. But why does it do that? On a round earth, gravity is becomes slowly weaker and less able to hold an atmosphere as you move away from the earth. What causes this one a FE?
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Air Density
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:21:45 AM »
Air pressure is lower at higher altitudes because there is less air above the measured point.  The weight of the air above becomes lower as you gain altitude.  Even round Earth scientists will tell you this.  Please, don't flat out lie or make up facts. 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »
Air pressure is lower at higher altitudes because there is less air above the measured point.  The weight of the air above becomes lower as you gain altitude.  Even round Earth scientists will tell you this.
Yes, he already said that.  He's asking for an FET explanation.

Please, don't flat out lie or make up facts.
Please don't start drinking so early in the morning.  It really isn't healthy.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »
Air pressure is lower at higher altitudes because there is less air above the measured point.  The weight of the air above becomes lower as you gain altitude.
Yes, but why?

Please, don't flat out lie or make up facts.
He didn't.  Don't worry, nobody is trying to steal your job. ::)
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »
Even if you forget about why air density decrees, you can use that fact to measure height.  So then when one measures the height of mountains and looks at the angles between distant mountain tops one discovers the earth is not flat. 

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:39:37 PM »
I like how he bolded the word weight, considering that weight by definition is a function of gravity.

ausGeoff

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »
I like how he bolded the word weight, considering that weight by definition is a function of gravity.

Apparently, most flat earthers don't understand the difference between mass and weight.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 04:12:08 PM »
We all agree that air loses density the higher you go up. But why does it do that? On a round earth, gravity is becomes slowly weaker and less able to hold an atmosphere as you move away from the earth. What causes this one a FE?

No, that's actually not the main reason for this on a round Earth.  The gravity does get weaker and that does have an effect on air pressure but it's negligible.  The real reason why air gets thinner as you go up is because the air at higher altitude has less air above it pushing it down with it's weight, and this actually makes sense with UA as well (although scepti has yet to explain how this happens with denpressure).
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.