Citizenship.

• 28 Replies
Citizenship.
« on: November 09, 2006, 04:50:03 PM »
How many can one person have?

please post country of residence and citizenship req's (if you know them)
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Citizenship.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:56:09 PM »
I believe that Canada currently allows dual citizenship with a variety of countries.  I believe this to be the case since I read recently about a push in government to revoke passports for Canadians living abroad.  During Israel's attack on Lebanon this summer, the Canadian government got thousands of people with dual Canadian/Syrian or Canadian/Lebanese citizenship out of the line of fire.

I have some friends who have dual Canadian/U.S. citizenship so it would seem that that is also possible.  I also think that dual citizenship is possible among different Commonwealth nations, and in fact is easier than in most other cases -- there are lots of dual Canadian/Brits around here.

I am personally interested in dual citizenship; unfortunately I don't know the exact regs for any of the countries I've listed.  In the case of Canada you could find out about it at www.cic.gc.ca (CIC = Citizenship and Immigration Canada).
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

mjk

Citizenship.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 06:04:39 AM »
you can have dual citizenships in australia and many other countries as well.  recently when Israel invaded Lebanon lots of lebonese people with dual citizenship were evacuated.
quote="diegodraw"]you never mentioned anything about antagonizing naive idiots who have reason to believe they should defend what everyone already knows is logical....Not like anybody would ever have fun doing that, of course[/quote]

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
Citizenship.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 12:24:35 PM »
My friend has citizenship in Ireland and the US, I'm not sure the US recognizes that however.
the cake is a lie

Citizenship.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 12:25:45 PM »
I have Italy/USA, but I want more citizenships

Advocatus Diaboli

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
Citizenship.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:32:20 PM »
Convert to Judaism and get Israeli citizenship :)
the cake is a lie

Citizenship.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:44:08 PM »
Thats all that is needed... interesting... how do they confirm this?

Advocatus Diaboli

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
Citizenship.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 12:49:11 PM »
Naw I'm joking, I don't think converting gets you automatic Israeli citizenship; if you are of Jewish descent, however (Jewish the ethnicity rather than the religion) you do get automatic citizenship, no matter your religion. If I wanted to I could get dual citizenship with Israel.
the cake is a lie

?

Ubuntu

Citizenship.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »

Countries that do (yellow) and do not (red) permit multiple citizenship. No information is available for countries colored gray. Please note that in many countries the situation is far more complex than just 'yes' or 'no'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship

Citizenship.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 05:18:30 PM »
I have dual Canada/USA citizenship
quote="DiegoDraw"]"And Moses said unto his brethren: 'The Earth is flat!...biznatches,'" [/quote]
DOT INFO

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
Citizenship.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 06:05:14 PM »
Good for you, you have somewhere to go if they start the draft. I have conscientious objector status, but you never know what might happen if a war gets bad enough...
the cake is a lie

Citizenship.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 06:37:23 PM »
Quote from: "dysfunction"
My friend has citizenship in Ireland and the US, I'm not sure the US recognizes that however.

I have the same.
he earth is a giant frisbee being thrown around the universe by George Bush and Zeus.

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
Citizenship.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 08:55:58 PM »
I've always thought the draft is kind of silly.  When you have to force kids off the street to fight a war in another land, it might be a good sign the war ain't worth fighting.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

?

mjk

Citizenship.
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 11:44:43 PM »
Quote from: "cadmium_blimp"
I've always thought the draft is kind of silly.  When you have to force kids off the street to fight a war in another land, it might be a good sign the war ain't worth fighting.

its not worth fighting to the individual soldiers, but the men with money and power sure want it fought.
quote="diegodraw"]you never mentioned anything about antagonizing naive idiots who have reason to believe they should defend what everyone already knows is logical....Not like anybody would ever have fun doing that, of course[/quote]

?

cadmium_blimp

Citizenship.
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »
Exactly.  The men with money and power aren't supposed to be representing people with money and power.  Well, they are, but they aren't the only people out there and I'm pretty sure they're outnumbered by the poor and the middle classes.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Citizenship.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 11:00:31 AM »
God damn, ubuntu.  That's a little fucking much for the avatar.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Citizenship.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 11:05:24 AM »

This idea always reminded me of the song "Kinky Sex Makes The World Go 'Round" by Dead Kennedys

Advocatus Diaboli

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Citizenship.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 11:07:49 AM »
Exactly.  The men with money and power aren't supposed to be representing people with money and power.  Well, they are, but they aren't the only people out there and I'm pretty sure they're outnumbered by the poor and the middle classes.

It really depends.  I think the draft should only be used in times of GREAT peril, when normal volunteers into the military just isn't enough for resources.  I think it was OK to utilize the draft during the World Wars.  But they should have cut it off after WWII.  The draft really fucked things up for a lot of people during Vietnam and the Korean war.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

cadmium_blimp

Citizenship.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »
I think the whole enlistment process was very different during the World Wars, which in a way, was a reason for the draft.  I could be wrong, though.

Citizenship.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:52 AM »
What was it that happened to society whereas we condemn the draft?
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Citizenship.
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
I think the draft is something that is good only when truly "necessary and proper," if not, than bad things can come from it

Advocatus Diaboli

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Citizenship.
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 11:21:27 AM »
Quote from: "CrimsonKing"
I think the draft is something that is good only when truly "necessary and proper," if not, than bad things can come from it

truth.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

cadmium_blimp

Citizenship.
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 11:21:49 AM »
Who gets to determine when it is necessary and proper?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Citizenship.
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »
The people, duh.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Citizenship.
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 11:23:58 AM »
hmm... According to what I was insinuating, congrefs, but I'm not sure what the law is about the draft.

Advocatus Diaboli

?

leecher_ko

Citizenship.
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 10:18:04 AM »
Quote from: "CrimsonKing"
How many can one person have?  <br />   <br /> please post country of residence and citizenship req'...
Knowledge is force !

?

mjk

Citizenship.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 11:52:53 PM »
i didnt think the draft was installed in either of the world wars  :?

?

cadmium_blimp

Citizenship.
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 07:54:03 AM »
It was instituted in both the World Wars.  It was quite different than it was in Vietnam.

midgard

Citizenship.
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 09:41:10 AM »
In Australia a person can have dual citizenship. However that's not necessarily a good thing. If an Australian has a dual nationality (even if he or she was born in Australia) then they are also considered a constitutional alien. This is because current Austrlian law interpretation defines an alien as anybody owing allegience to a foreign national power.

So despite the fact that I was born in Australia because I am a dual national I am also considered an alien and can be affected by laws regarding aliens.