Commercial Spaceflight

• 55 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Commercial Spaceflight
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 07:30:19 AM »
The OP asked what would happen when the average Joe could go to space and see what the shape of the Earth is.  I responded that it is a hypothetical situation, and now I am being attacked.  I thought I was talking to adults here.
And I merely pointed out that several average Joe multi-millionaires have already been to space and have seen the shape of the earth themselves.  I thought that I was talking to someone who could get a point.

I am sorry, but how could an average Joe be a multimillionaire?  Is that not an oxymoron?
I don't think that you realize how many millionaires there are in the US.  Among those millionaires, those space tourists are just average Joes.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 07:40:11 AM »
The OP asked what would happen when the average Joe could go to space and see what the shape of the Earth is.  I responded that it is a hypothetical situation, and now I am being attacked.  I thought I was talking to adults here.
And I merely pointed out that several average Joe multi-millionaires have already been to space and have seen the shape of the earth themselves.  I thought that I was talking to someone who could get a point.

I am sorry, but how could an average Joe be a multimillionaire?  Is that not an oxymoron?
I don't think that you realize how many millionaires there are in the US.  Among those millionaires, those space tourists are just average Joes.

Maybe you could possibly look up the meaning of the term "average Joe"?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »

Maybe you could look up the concept of a qualifier?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »

I have.  Maybe you could look it up now? 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »

Then perhaps you should look again because I qualified "average Joe" with the word "millionaire" to adjust the context to something more relevant to the current prices for space tourist flights like those offered by VG and Space Adventures.

ausGeoff

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »

As per your demands of everyone else here jroa, could you please refrain from posting numerous low content one-liner comments in the upper forums?  Thanks; it distracts from the initial thrust of the thread.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
Then perhaps you should look again because I qualified "average Joe" with the word "millionaire" to adjust the context to something more relevant to the current prices for space tourist flights like those offered by VG and Space Adventures.

When was the last VG Space Adventure? 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »

How is that relevant?  I said that VG was offering the flights, which they currently are.  I never said anything about VG actually carrying out any flights yet.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 08:06:14 PM »

How is that relevant?  I said that VG was offering the flights, which they currently are.  I never said anything about VG actually carrying out any flights yet.

I can offer you rainbows with unicorns.  I can offer them all day long.  That does not mean I can deliver on my promises, though. 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »

I can offer you rainbows with unicorns.  I can offer them all day long.  That does not mean I can deliver on my promises, though.
Can you deliver a relevant argument, or is that just another pipe dream offer?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »
When they stop just offering and start doing, then this will be relevant.  Also, this is not a debate forum, markjo. 

?

QuQu

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »
Sooner or later they will start. Matter of time.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
It has always been a matter of time...

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
What's the matter with it being a matter of time?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »

It matters when a matter of time turns into never.  See the difference? 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 05:25:25 PM »

By the time it is never, you will be dead.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »

Just because you may not live to see it, that doesn't mean that it'll never happen.

The Ellimist

• "Let us play a game, Crayak."
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »
Taking gullible people high up into the atmosphere, they can be told they are on the edge of space and would simply have to accept it, when all they are is at high altitude. Let's face it, how would anyone know?
How many people have been at real high altitude?

I have a strange feeling that these flights will take place at night time and the so called space plane will have a few vertical viewing port hole windows for the gullible fools to look up into space, making them believe they actually are.

A fool and their money are easily parted.

OR.
An actor and their pay day, are easily manipulated into telling a space story for the ever gullible public.
They still haven't solved the problem of high altitude flight and the effects on planes.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

It's about looking into your own mind and grabbing that part of it that has the sticker on it saying "common sense and logic" then pushing back the part that is stamped "gullible."

I said I would repost "tomorrow". Sorry for procrastinating.

Here it is: I once read a series, the Old Kingdom/Abhorsen series. The series focuses on two nations, the Old Kingdom and Ancelstierre. Ancelstierre is the equivalent of early 20th century Britain, culture and technology-wise. The Old Kingdom is a monarchy, with cities and villages scattered across it, with more medieval technology. This is due to the fact that magic exists and is very prominent there, and causes anything from guns to printed paper to stop working/degrade. The opposite happens in Ancelstierre, the magic users cease to be able to use their magic. The two nations are separated by the Wall, a wall made up of stone and mortar. The Wall is less about separating the kingdoms, and more about keeping someone or something malevolent from sneaking across. There are two types of magic in the Old Kingdom, Charter magic and Free magic. Charter magic is the "good" magic, used for everyday things like light and whatnot. Free magic is the "bad" magic, used by necromancers to raise the dead. There are also beings made out of Free magic, who (as we find out in the last two books) can cause quite a bit of trouble. This sounds quite ridiculous. The government of Ancelstierre thinks so too. Not trusting such a nation of complete loons, they post military personnel on their side of the wall. Unfortunately, as the Ancelstierran soldiers soon find out, the magic is very real, and the weapons prove very useless so close to the Old Kingdom. Even more unfortunate is the fact that malevolent creatures actually do often try to sneak across. And that they like to taste of human blood. The Ancelstierran soldiers are forced to learn Charter magic to combat these creatures, which proves to be only slightly more reliable than their weapons. To add even more misfortune, the dead soldiers don't stay dead (their afterlife works in a way that soul can crawl it's way back if it tries hard enough, or is called by a necromancer). The only way to keep dead soldiers from rising is calling the Abhorsen ( a sort of anti-necromancer), and he does blah blah blah....anyways, the Ancelstierran government keeps sending troops to the Wall, dismissing "silly" claims of magic creatures and the undead. The Ancelstierran government (FE) denies evidence of magic (RE), and their soldiers suffer for it. Ancelstierran government officials can easily cross the Wall and see for themselves; but they don't. Does Ancelstierre really expect people to not wonder what is across the huge ass Wall separating the nations? After the events of the series, many people will most definitely want to know what the hell goes on on the other side of the wall. It's true, FE isn't really that comparable to a whole government, but in truth, there are many people willing to believe that the Earth is flat. Imagine the world using the FE model as standard. Imagine the hundreds of thousands who would die in plane crashes using a false, incomplete model to attempt to transverse the Earth.

My main point is this; It doesn't matter what's being claimed. Whether it's the existence of magic, mole people, unicorns shitting out fire-breathing chocolate dragons, if there is legit, empirical, solid evidence, and you deny it without consideration (like Ancelstierre) you are the true fool, who cares nothing for the absolute truth, whatever you may claim.
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 07:50:39 AM »
Taking gullible people high up into the atmosphere, they can be told they are on the edge of space and would simply have to accept it, when all they are is at high altitude. Let's face it, how would anyone know?

I have a strange feeling that these flights will take place at night time and the so called space plane will have a few vertical viewing port hole windows for the gullible fools to look up into space, making them believe they actually are.

OR.
An actor and their pay day, are easily manipulated into telling a space story for the ever gullible public.
They still haven't solved the problem of high altitude flight and the effects on planes.

It's about looking into your own mind and grabbing that part of it that has the sticker on it saying "common sense and logic" then pushing back the part that is stamped "gullible."

Here it is: I once read a series, the Old Kingdom/Abhorsen series. The series focuses on two nations, the Old Kingdom and Ancelstierre. Ancelstierre is the equivalent of early 20th century Britain, culture and technology-wise. The Old Kingdom is a monarchy, with cities and villages scattered across it, with more medieval technology. This is due to the fact that magic exists and is very prominent there, and causes anything from guns to printed paper to stop working/degrade. The opposite happens in Ancelstierre, the magic users cease to be able to use their magic. The two nations are separated by the Wall, a wall made up of stone and mortar. The Wall is less about separating the kingdoms, and more about keeping someone or something malevolent from sneaking across. There are two types of magic in the Old Kingdom, Charter magic and Free magic. Charter magic is the "good" magic, used for everyday things like light and whatnot. Free magic is the "bad" magic, used by necromancers to raise the dead. There are also beings made out of Free magic, who (as we find out in the last two books) can cause quite a bit of trouble. This sounds quite ridiculous. The government of Ancelstierre thinks so too. Not trusting such a nation of complete loons, they post military personnel on their side of the wall. Unfortunately, as the Ancelstierran soldiers soon find out, the magic is very real, and the weapons prove very useless so close to the Old Kingdom. Even more unfortunate is the fact that malevolent creatures actually do often try to sneak across. And that they like to taste of human blood. The Ancelstierran soldiers are forced to learn Charter magic to combat these creatures, which proves to be only slightly more reliable than their weapons. To add even more misfortune, the dead soldiers don't stay dead (their afterlife works in a way that soul can crawl it's way back if it tries hard enough, or is called by a necromancer). The only way to keep dead soldiers from rising is calling the Abhorsen ( a sort of anti-necromancer), and he does blah blah blah....anyways, the Ancelstierran government keeps sending troops to the Wall, dismissing "silly" claims of magic creatures and the undead. The Ancelstierran government (FE) denies evidence of magic (RE), and their soldiers suffer for it. Ancelstierran government officials can easily cross the Wall and see for themselves; but they don't. Does Ancelstierre really expect people to not wonder what is across the huge ass Wall separating the nations? After the events of the series, many people will most definitely want to know what the hell goes on on the other side of the wall. It's true, FE isn't really that comparable to a whole government, but in truth, there are many people willing to believe that the Earth is flat. Imagine the world using the FE model as standard. Imagine the hundreds of thousands who would die in plane crashes using a false, incomplete model to attempt to transverse the Earth.

My main point is this; It doesn't matter what's being claimed. Whether it's the existence of magic, mole people, unicorns shitting out fire-breathing chocolate dragons, if there is legit, empirical, solid evidence, and you deny it without consideration (like Ancelstierre) you are the true fool, who cares nothing for the absolute truth, whatever you may claim.
I agree - if there is  evidence then it would be wise to follow it. What legitimate solid evidence is there for anything you claim?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 08:15:56 AM »
What legitimate solid evidence is there for anything you claim?
Wow!  You're a bold one for asking that question.

The Ellimist

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2014, 08:58:44 AM »

OR.

I agree - if there is  evidence then it would be wise to follow it. What legitimate solid evidence is there for anything you claim?
For RE? Quite a lot. The paramount of which is direct observation. Surely there's someway you can get some sort of camera something into space. Then you can confirm it yourself. Of course, the fact that most communications technology depends on satellites in orbit should phase you, but doesn't, much like the Ancelstierran government isn't phased by the fact that their soldiers are dying by the dozens each day.
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
For RE? Quite a lot. The paramount of which is direct observation. Surely there's someway you can get some sort of camera something into space. Then you can confirm it yourself. Of course, the fact that most communications technology depends on satellites in orbit should phase you, but doesn't, much like the Ancelstierran government isn't phased by the fact that their soldiers are dying by the dozens each day.
You mention getting some sort of camera into space like it's as simple as 123.
I could get a camera up to a certain height with a helium balloon, maybe so many thousands of feet but that would be about it.
I'm not going to see any Earth shape that is a true reflection of it. Think about scale and picture your camera at x amount of thousands of feet in relation to Earth size. It just isn't happening.
It's like putting an ant on a step ladder with any binoculars and telling it to have a panoramic view of its Earth.

The Ellimist

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2014, 07:53:18 PM »
I could get a camera up to a certain height with a helium balloon, maybe so many thousands of feet but that would be about it.
I'm not going to see any Earth shape that is a true reflection of it. Think about scale and picture your camera at x amount of thousands of feet in relation to Earth size. It just isn't happening.
It's like putting an ant on a step ladder with any binoculars and telling it to have a panoramic view of its Earth.

Try looking into the FE debate forum, or anywhere an RE'er posts anything on this forum. They provide tons of evidence, such as: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62097.0#.VCdr7xY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62125.0#.VCdzxhY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62037.0#.VCd0CBY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62016.msg0#new
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62063.0#.VCd0eBY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62043.0#.VCd0lhY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62035.0#.VCd1dxY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62029.msg0#new
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62027.0#.VCd1qRY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62015.0#.VCd3GBY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61991.0#.VCd3SxY0-yo
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62009.0#.VCd37hY0-yo
And so on and so forth

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »

Cubesat. Granted, that would take some effort and funds, but you'd get live pics from ~300km altitude orbit for a few weeks. Maybe fes could make a joint effort to launch one to gather evidence for the earth being flat ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:39:00 PM by neimoka »

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:16 PM »
Commercial Spaceflight will be an elaborate hoax as no one will be going anywhere outside the "spaceship" once they walk on to it.
The information being gathered from the US government in the B.R.A.I.N. project they are currently working on will allow them to finally make fully believable "movies in the minds" of people. Check it out:

http://blog.brainfacts.org/2013/04/the-science-behind-obamas-brain-project/#.VCeNt_ldXFs

They will fully believe they went to space and back, when they simply perceived a hologram-like simulation. Most expensive "movie" ever - and no popcorn, even!

The Ellimist

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
Commercial Spaceflight will be an elaborate hoax as no one will be going anywhere outside the "spaceship" once they walk on to it.

Baseless assumption. Next

The information being gathered from the US government in the B.R.A.I.N. project they are currently working on will allow them to finally make fully believable "movies in the minds" of people. Check it out:
http://blog.brainfacts.org/2013/04/the-science-behind-obamas-brain-project/#.VCeNt_ldXFs
Yea, I think you misread. I says nothing about movies of the mind in that article.

They will fully believe they went to space and back, when they simply perceived a hologram-like simulation. Most expensive "movie" ever - and no popcorn, even!

Citation needed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:09:44 AM by The Ellimist »