Flat Earth Map

• 221 Replies

ocha

• Just for fun
Flat Earth Map
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:55:51 AM »
Can anyone provide a more or less accurate map of the flat earth? Because it is proven that your unipolar projection map is anything but accurate. And if the Earth was flat, it shouldn't be difficult to do it , right?
Aerospace engineering student. I love aircraft and spacecraft.

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
Re: Flat Earth Map
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »
Can anyone provide a more or less accurate map of the flat earth? Because it is proven that your unipolar projection map is anything but accurate. And if the Earth was flat, it shouldn't be difficult to do it , right?
There no such thing as an accurate FE map or even close to it. 

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:03:04 AM »
There is no such thing as an accurate RE map, yet you hold us to higher standards than you hold your own scientists.  The hypocrisy...

?

Starman

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:40 AM »
There is no such thing as an accurate RE map, yet you hold us to higher standards than you hold your own scientists.  The hypocrisy...
Yes there is. How far is the distance from cape town to Sydney on your flat map?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:07:04 AM »
Yes there is. How far is the distance from cape town to Sydney on your flat map?
The same distance it is on your flat map. You don't navigate using any globe.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »

Can't produce a flat map of spherical earth, because one is flat and the other sphereical.  We can produce maps that are accurate enough for navigation and practical applications.  We can produce accurate globes, since they share the same shape.  If the earth was flat, it would be easy to produce an accurate flat map, since they share the same shape,

We're able to produce an accurate model of the round earth, but you are unable to produce an accurate model of the flat earth.  No double standard there.     

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:18:14 AM »

Because a globe large enough to see the detail necessary for navigation would be far too large to be practical to put into a vehicle.  So we comprise by using projection maps which give us a good enough representation of the earth.  Maps are easily stored and don't take up much space, making them more practical for everyday use. 

Why do I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of kindergartners?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
So, in conclusion, all maps are Flat Earth maps, am I right? 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »

Because a globe large enough to see the detail necessary for navigation would be far too large to be practical to put into a vehicle.  So we comprise by using projection maps which give us a good enough representation of the earth.  Maps are easily stored and don't take up much space, making them more practical for everyday use. 

Who's we?
You don't do anything. What you mean is, they tell you or you read about it that they use the flat map of a globe to navigate. And you being kindergarten minded, simply just swallow it up like a lovingly made up packed lunch with milk.

?

Starman

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »
Airlines fly by the use of global data that is accurate. They don't lay on the floor a whole bunch of maps and measure it. By most part modern airlines don't use flat maps anymore. All the information is in their flight computer and based on a global model.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:28:19 AM »

Well, maps are flat, and they're maps of the earth, so they are flat maps of earth.   Or "flat, earth maps" if you will. 

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »

Who's we?
You don't do anything. What you mean is, they tell you or you read about it that they use the flat map of a globe to navigate. And you being kindergarten minded, simply just swallow it up like a lovingly made up packed lunch with milk.

I've used a map to navigate.  I got to where I needed to go.  I drove right off the edge of one map and had to switch to another.  I didn't fall off the edge of the earth. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
I bet that map was flat, amirte?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »
Airlines fly by the use of global data that is accurate. They don't lay on the floor a whole bunch of maps and measure it. By most part modern airlines don't use flat maps anymore. All the information is in their flight computer and based on a global model.
It doesn't matter. They still don't know they are navigating a global route. It's a simple set zig zag pattern depending on destination or a direct route set out. They just simple follow the co-ordinates set out, just like anyone else does.

It would be a bit difficult setting your compass to an orienteering map of a glove, just as a plane would have difficulty following one even without digital aids.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »

And this proves what exactly?  It also had an edge and that didn't correspond with the edge of the earth.  It was a map - a navigational aid - not a scale model of the earth, which is something, by the way, that FE's are unable to produce. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 08:47:02 AM »

And this proves what exactly?  It also had an edge and that didn't correspond with the edge of the earth.  It was a map - a navigational aid - not a scale model of the earth, which is something, by the way, that FE's are unable to produce. 

So, how exactly do you come to the conclusion that the Earth is round based on these flat maps? 

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »

So, how exactly do you come to the conclusion that the Earth is round based on these flat maps?

My conclusion that the Earth is round and the existence of flat maps are unrelated. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
Perhaps you should re-examine the two. 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »

Of course they are. But they are all made from a projection of a globe with usually some notation as to the type of projection, such as Mercator, Unipolar , Bipolar, etc. with the consequent distortion.

As has been pointed  out ad ifiinitum, ad nauseum on this website, the so-called Flat Earth Map is just a copy of a Unipolar Projection of a globe with the obvious distortion south of the equator.

In reality, there is no such thing as a Flat Earth Map of the entire world. There is no such thing as the Ice Ring or The Canopy. But keep in mind after all this is The Flat Earth Society Forum Website.  LOL !
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »

So, back to jroa's point, you expect us (inexperienced cartographers) to produce an entirely to-scale accurate map of a flat Earth - when you can't even do the same with a round Earth?

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »
They don't have it, because the only one they had was the one that lead the woman to the edge of the earth, and like her "pictures" it was "exposed" and they lost it :D

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
They don't have it, because the only one they had was the one that lead the woman to the edge of the earth, and like her "pictures" it was "exposed" and they lost it :D
Stay on topic.
No need to make silly jokes.
This is a serious debate.

I am correct.

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »
Stay on topic.

Actually it's not, it's Q&A. There was a question, i had an answer.

But seriously, you don't really need to be "professional" cartographer to make a map, you just need to do some travel, say form NYC to London, and  brazil to the east coast of africa. I believe, according to the existing map, you should hit the north pole in at least one of those voyages, you can calculate how long it takes based on the speed you're travelling (i'd recommend boat so you can do some more accurate drawings)

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
Stay on topic.

Actually it's not, it's Q&A. There was a question, i had an answer.

But seriously, you don't really need to be "professional" cartographer to make a map, you just need to do some travel, say form NYC to London, and  brazil to the east coast of africa. I believe, according to the existing map, you should hit the north pole in at least one of those voyages, you can calculate how long it takes based on the speed you're travelling (i'd recommend boat so you can do some more accurate drawings)
Maps are already accurate.
Use any projection of the world you'd like.
Why would I travel the world noting distances between places when I would probably have to use a map to navigate those places anyway?

I am correct.

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »

So, back to jroa's point, you expect us (inexperienced cartographers) to produce an entirely to-scale accurate map of a flat Earth - when you can't even do the same with a round Earth?

Well, I can't produce an entirely to-scale accurate map of a round Earth with maps being flat and the earth being round and all.  I'm not asking you to produce an entirely to-scale accurate globe of a flat earth, see the difference there?    I can produce an entirely to-scale accurate model of a round Earth:

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »

Well, I can't produce an entirely to-scale accurate map of a round Earth with maps being flat and the earth being round and all.  I'm not asking you to produce an entirely to-scale accurate globe of a flat earth, see the difference there?    I can produce an entirely to-scale accurate model of a round Earth:

That looks much too spherical to be entirely accurate and to-scale.

I am correct.

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »

There is - it's called a globe.

You can also use Google maps nowadays.  If you don't know where to find it: it's on the internet.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
I thought your Earth was an oblate spheroid?

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
So?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
So?
So why are you putting a globe up. Put your oblate spheroid world up. You are adamant on accuracy aren't you?