UK Skeptic Invitation

• 8 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
UK Skeptic Invitation
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:43:53 AM »
I've received an invitation to speak at a meeting of the Cheltenham Skeptics on behalf of the Flat Earth Society. As I live in Ireland and I'm currently saving for a return to college next year, I'm not really in a position to attaned, but I thought I should ask if anyone here would be interested. I'm thinking in particular of James, as he's based in the UK, but I forget where some of you are from and thought I should ask in here. They've offered to cover "cover petrol / reasonable expenses" and have promised a polite and friendly debate.

I'll also be contacting Daniel, but he's been pretty quiet of late, so I don't know what's likely to happen there. Anyway, let me know!
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: UK Skeptic Invitation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »
About ten years ago, I was living in Cambridge, and I attended the University there as well.  I remember it well. But as of now I don't live in the UK.   Its good to hear you had an invitation.  I can only hope someone here can attend.  If I were in the area I would be more than happy to do so.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:33:09 PM by bullhorn »

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
When is it scheduled for?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »
What sorts of expenses do you think they deem reasonable?
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »
What sorts of expenses do you think they deem reasonable?

I confess that I doubt that I would make it, but if I knew the date then I would keep it in mind.  I would require transoceanic air tickets, but if you were willing to do it for free, then I would suggest settling for train tickets and a hotel room near the site of the debate (for two nights). 

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:15:45 AM »
Hmm, yes.  Perhaps I shall begin preparing a lecture to deliver to them.  What sorts of things do you think should be included?  An initial brainstorm:

• The Earth's form (I shall provide maps); circumnavigation not a proof of its rotundity.  Position, form and behaviour of the celestial bodies (differences of opinion)
  • Gravity a myth; the theory of Universal Acceleration; Einstein's contributions to FET
  • SOME SUPPOSED PROOFS OF THE EARTH'S ROTUNDITY
  • Curvature of the Earth; impossibility of seeing such from the ground even if globularism were true; impossibility of seeing such from a plane &c; images from space and the Globularist Conspiracy
  • Lunar Eclipses & the Sun's reflection on the Moon; daylight Lunar eclipses and the living nature of the Moon; Moon shines by her own light; proofs as supplied by Charles Dickens and Samuel Rowbotham

This is not an exhaustive list of what this lecture should contain.  What do my zetetic brothers think on these matters?
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
Review Rowbotham's core arguments.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »
Brother James, If they are fortunate enough to have you speak at the event then I agree that keeping close to Rowbotham would be a good format.  From your list, I narrowed it down to:

-   The Earth's form (I shall provide maps)
-   Circumnavigation not a proof of its rotundity.  
-   Position, form and behaviour of the celestial bodies (differences of opinion)
-   Some supposed proofs of the Earth?s rotundity
-   Lunar Eclipses & the Sun's reflection on the Moon
-   Daylight Lunar eclipses

and include:

-   Samuel Rowbotham's core arguments.

I don't know if there would be question and answer session at the event, but keeping the format to the well traveled road would be an advantage?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:43:56 AM by gotham »

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
I imagine they might cover travel costs, possibly even a bed for the night. I can inquire, though at this point I don't know if the offer still stands.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord