?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
Red Dead Redemption
« on: May 20, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
Is insanely fun.

Discuss!

(See what I did there, I added an exclamation point so that people would read it all excitedly instead of just droll old "Discuss." So, yea, discuss!)

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

theonlydann

• Official Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »
IM getting it tomorrow.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:24 PM »
Give me a review fellas when you have time. 

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:43:43 PM »
I always have time for you, my sweet angel.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
I don't usually do reviews, but I can say a few things...I guess thats a review?

The voice acting is pretty good. Actually, really good. This is pretty common in games these days though, isn't it?

The gameplay is just, awesome. Playing horseshoes actually is pretty complicated, at least for me. I have decided that I suck at horseshoes and was just playing it for part of an outfit to unlock. I probably won't play it again..

Shooting people is, of course, the best part of the game. Like in GTA, if you shoot someone in the city you will get a bounty on your head. Until you get your wanted level cleared, you will be chased down by the sheriffs. The way to clear your wanted level is either kill them all (and get more bounty on your head) or just run, or rather ride. Running won't do you much good. When you clear your wanted level, you still have a bounty to take care of. You can stroll right back into town and not get chased, but if you put it off for too long, there will be bounty hunters out to get you. You can also find pardons by doing missions (and probably treasure hunting or looting bodies) to pay off the bounty.

Shooting people is made even more fun by their full body reactions. Shoot their hat, it flies off. Shoot them in the knee, they limp away to cover, shoot them in both knees and they drop down, and crawl away. Shoot them in the shoulder, SPIIINN. It seems that any time a guy dies while wearing his hat still (if you haven't shot it off) it will fall off...There is also the wildlife that you can kill and skin if you feel like just shooting things. (This is a challenge, so I'm sure it's worth killing wildlife. Birds first, then rabbits...which are pretty hard to spot. I've killed 3 so far..)

The missions are very GTA style. You have a huge map to roam around, and multiple contacts for missions that you build up trying to get help to take out the 'bad guy'. A review I read said that this story is a short one, but there is another part to it that takes much longer. I haven't gotten that far, so I'm not sure if I'm right about even reading that...

Riding horses actually DOESN'T SUCK. Isn't that amazing? Every game I've played where you ride a horse had the worst controls I have ever used. Each game seemed to get worse and worse too (Remember horses in Oblivion? Totally useless...) Your horse has a stamina bar that when depleted (from spurring too much for speed) will get you thrown off the horse. You don't have to watch it though, because the controller vibrates whenever you get down to the last few spurs, giving you a chance to stop hitting the button and slow down for a second. Of course, if you time everything right, you can keep at a good speed. Riding in a group makes things a lot easier, because all you have to do is hold A(xbox). You will keep up to speed with the group leader, and sometimes not even have to control. It seems that if you are on the right side of the leader and he turns left, you have to turn, but if he turns into you, you also turn, without him bashing into you. (The horses have instinct!)

The gameplay is just awesome. Riding from town to town is fun because there are random encounters, like a lady asking for help...Grant her the help, and you get jumped by her gang. Tricky folk...Usually, if you don't use Dead Eye right away in this situation, you will most likely die. Four guys jumping out right next to you and unloading their rifles into your head is a pretty crazy situation.

Funny story about the horses. I was doing a race, the first one in the game, and I get up to this bridge. I was riding right on the trail and headed straight for the center of the bridge, when all of a sudden my horse decided he didn't want to go on the bridge and ran off the cliff. I'm not sure what caused this, but it was rather depressing and ridiculous watching my horse just veer left and slide down a canyon.

I'm not sure what else I can say right now. I haven't played for that long, but I hear that there is a well done honor system in the game. If you get your honor too low, the townsfolk will start forming posses to take you down, and if you get your honor high, they will let you slide with more things...My Honor has stayed neutral though, and I don't plan on racking up a bounty I can't pay to find out how it works...

All in all, this will be for sure the first GTA style game I beat. I might even go for 100%. I love it.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 05:23:04 AM »
YEah... so far nothing TO super special. Looks like their may be to few weapons... but that also may just be the way the wheel is set up.

I can't stop hunting and skinning... so...  :(

Also, i like that fact that you can get behind cover. Thats always nice. Cant remember if you could in GTA 4. The horse riding mechanincs are a bit meh... So far so good.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
YEah... so far nothing TO super special. Looks like their may be to few weapons... but that also may just be the way the wheel is set up.

Also, i like that fact that you can get behind cover. Thats always nice. Cant remember if you could in GTA 4. The horse riding mechanincs are a bit meh... So far so good.

There are several guns actually. The wheel is just gun types. There are different types of pistols, rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles...I still haven't gotten a sniper and I'm in mexico already..

They are just spread pretty far apart, and some are rather expensive if all you are doing is the story...You should be good if you keep skinning animals though..I should try that.

Oh and playing poker is awesome. You obviously have a very good poker face, I win every time by just betting high.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »

There are several guns actually. The wheel is just gun types. There are different types of pistols, rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles...I still haven't gotten a sniper and I'm in mexico already..

They are just spread pretty far apart, and some are rather expensive if all you are doing is the story...You should be good if you keep skinning animals though..I should try that.

Oh and playing poker is awesome. You obviously have a very good poker face, I win every time by just betting high.
Now i understand the weapons system. This game is ok so far. THE LASSO IS FUCKING SWEET

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:45:49 PM »
Just ran into my first major glitch. I was using Dead eye, and i knew it was going to happen, the game started lagging, and i thought the game was going to freeze, but instead... it reset to the main screen of the PS3. BOO.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 05:59:08 PM »
Just ran into my first major glitch. I was using Dead eye, and i knew it was going to happen, the game started lagging, and i thought the game was going to freeze, but instead... it reset to the main screen of the PS3. BOO.

BURN.

I use Dead eye excessively, and that has not yet happened.

I did just die and the xbox locked though. Shooting off peoples hats with dead eye is not possible, don't try it. I've got the sharpshooter challenge to level 6 now...Two hats, the birds on a train was harder because the train kept refusing to move...

There is also a small glitch with skinning animals. Sometimes you will just get the items without the little cutscene and the animal won't be skinned. This really doesn't bother me though, that cutscene gets annoying at times.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »

BURN.

I did just die and the xbox locked though. Shooting off peoples hats with dead eye is not possible, don't try it. I've got the sharpshooter challenge to level 6 now...Two hats, the birds on a train was harder because the train kept refusing to move...

There is also a small glitch with skinning animals. Sometimes you will just get the items without the little cutscene and the animal won't be skinned. This really doesn't bother me though, that cutscene gets annoying at times.
I shoot hats off constantly. ALso, i gotta find a train. ALso, HORSESHOES SUCKS

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »
THIS JUST IN.

you cannot walk across water.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »

BURN.

I shoot hats off constantly. ALso, i gotta find a train. ALso, HORSESHOES SUCKS

Yes, it does.

I shot a few hats off before, but I don't usually aim for their hats. More their skulls.

I also found that out while trying to hop the border from Mexico. Did not work.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »
Dragging people through town with a lasso is frowned upon in western society.

I found this out the hard way.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »

I thought it was acceptable. :(

Apparently its ok to shoot people in gangs in front of a marshall though. WIN!

Where is the raep code?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »

I thought it was acceptable. :(

Apparently its ok to shoot people in gangs in front of a marshall though. WIN!

Where is the raep code?

No idea. It's acceptable until a witness goes to the cops. It really depends on the provocation. If a gang is doing something bad or harassing you you can do whatever you want. Tying someone up and taking them out of town on a horse for no reason will get the cops after you.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 02:27:36 AM »
Console exclusives

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 03:48:30 AM »
The game doesn't look all that great to me. For one thing, I hate shooting in the third person perspective, I can never get used to it. Also, based on the trailers I've seen it doesn't seem like the entire thing works out to well for an open world game. Two of my friends have it (for ps3, several others for 360) so I might end up borrowing it in a little while and I'll see how I like it.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »
The game doesn't look all that great to me. For one thing, I hate shooting in the third person perspective, I can never get used to it. Also, based on the trailers I've seen it doesn't seem like the entire thing works out to well for an open world game. Two of my friends have it (for ps3, several others for 360) so I might end up borrowing it in a little while and I'll see how I like it.

It's better than it looks. It really reminds me of oblivion. The shooting is very zoomed in to give an over the shoulder gears of war feel, and becomes really easy when you use slo mo. In fact hunting would require massive amounts of skill if it weren't for the slowmo trick. (protip, killing hawks and eagles is a very good way to make money)

edit: I forgot one thing, hogtying someone and then leaving them on the railroad tracks like they do in cartoons leads to a massive body explosion. It is literally the best way to kill someone.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »
If you sit down at the Armadillo poker table, one guy talks shit about jews. Its lulzy.

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
Maybe I'll get it. I'll probably play it by next Sunday at a friend's house. I have very little cash, but enough gift cards to Gamestop to get one game. I wanted to save it for Fallout: New Vegas, but that won't come out for another few months. I won't have much time to play it if I get it now though, with finals coming up, and then I'm going out of town for a week. Maybe I'll get it after that.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
THanks Snackpack and Dann and all the other comments.  I WANT!

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
I'M GONNA BEAT IT SOON!!

Of course, there is still the matter of helping strangers, getting outfits, and a whole ton of other things to do...

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 07:24:02 AM »
Fuck your sucky GTA clones, I'm playing Alan Wake.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 07:48:22 AM »
I'M GONNA BEAT IT SOON!!

Of course, there is still the matter of helping strangers, getting outfits, and a whole ton of other things to do...

It seems like a short game.
Fuck console exclusives.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
Console exclusives
I'M GONNA BEAT IT SOON!!

Fuck console exclusives.
Red Dead Redemption will have a PC release eventually.

Also I'll eventually get an xbox360 for alan wake.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
I'M GONNA BEAT IT SOON!!

Fuck console exclusives.

Running straight through missions...I guess it is.

I only have outfits that were instant though, and I have only done one of the challenges, up to level 7...

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
I need a friend with a ps3 so I can play heavy rain.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
I am your friend!

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »
I am your friend!
That lives closer than michigan.