The Ice Wall makes me laugh

• 33 Replies
« on: August 03, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »
Can someone please expound on the theory in absurd amounts of detail, so it can make me chuckle even more? It's supposed to be 150km high and run right round the edge of the (flat) Earth...is that right?

P.S. I don't feel bad making fun, cos experience teaches me that people with ahem, certain, views actually enjoy people ridiculing them, cos they can then look down on the unbelievers  :wink:

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 06:45:13 AM »
Yes that is correct. The man who built it was actually on here earlier. He is also a dab hand at plastering just in case your interested.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:51:09 AM »
I heard the ice wall isn't actually an ice wall at all; it's made of marshmallow.
color=orange]When my life is over and my time has come to pass, I hope they bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass.[/color]

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:52:54 AM »
Are the penguins made of chocolate covered biscuit then?

Re: The Ice Wall makes me laugh
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 06:54:08 AM »
Quote from: "merg"
Can someone please expound on the theory in absurd amounts of detail, so it can make me chuckle even more? It's supposed to be 150km high and run right round the edge of the (flat) Earth...is that right?

So it's funny just because you don't believe it's true? I guess that 400 years ago, you also would have laughed really hard about the idea that the Earth circles the Sun.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 06:56:20 AM »
Quote from: "Pogmothoin"
Are the penguins made of chocolate covered biscuit then?

Yes, indeed.  And in the wonderful words of Homer Simpson:

"I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane! Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic."
color=orange]When my life is over and my time has come to pass, I hope they bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass.[/color]

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 06:56:40 AM »
It's funny TO ME because it seems absurd TO ME...

Hmm, a little defensive methinks, surely that sort of comment should have been reserved for after you put me right on the subject with incontrovertible proof, and I still didn't believe??

I'm perfectly willing to hear the evidence, at the moment I'm just staggered as to how such a theory could begin to be taken seriously...but as ever, I'm all ears...  :wink:

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:01:02 AM »
Hey guys, I'm the one that built the ice wall. In my defense I think I did a damn fine job.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:04:59 AM »
Did you use stretcher of Flemish bond or did you just carve it out of solid? The reason I ask is I find it difficult to visualise how you managed to store such a large lump of ice in your freezer.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:07:45 AM »

The idea that we all evolved from single-celled organisms sounds quite absurd as well, yet it can be explained through fairly simple scientific arguments. I think the reason why the idea of a flat Earth sounds absurd to you is not that it is absurd, but that it's not what you were taught. Like I said, 400 years ago, you probably would have been a firm believer in a geocentric model of the Universe, and you would have wondered how anyone can believe in Galileo's absurd ideas.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 07:10:48 AM »
Quote from: "socialaztec"
Hey guys, I'm the one that built the ice wall. In my defense I think I did a damn fine job.

your mate paul did a nice job with the penguins too, pity about the eskimos though
img]http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/Kamikazefish.png[/img]

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 07:11:18 AM »
Oh I used the whole freezer, took the shelves out and stuff, just about enough room and yeah its one block.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 07:13:23 AM »
Quote from: "Copernicus_was_wrong"

The idea that we all evolved from single-celled organisms sounds quite absurd as well, yet it can be explained through fairly simple scientific arguments. I think the reason why the idea of a flat Earth sounds absurd to you is not that it is absurd, but that it's not what you were taught. Like I said, 400 years ago, you probably would have been a firm believer in a geocentric model of the Universe, and you would have wondered how anyone can believe in Galileo's absurd ideas.

I believe in pixies; I like to pull their wings off.  It's not because I want to though; the voices make me do it.

I believe you too, Copernicus_was_wrong.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 07:14:53 AM »
Ah that explains it, I suppose you just lived off tinned and packet foods for a while as you would not have had the room for any frozen peas etc?

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »

Hmm, I prefer to think it's cos I'm using my eyes! I've seen much footage of the Earth from space, as well as other planets etc. etc.

A-hanyway, have you never laughed at something that you find absurd? Natural reaction if you ask me...

?

LoveLFC

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 07:31:27 AM »
The Ice Wall is definitely real!  However, it's been heavily taken over by yobs spraying grafiti.

http://www.alaskaalpineclub.org/IceWall/IceWall.html

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 07:34:36 AM »
they would say however that any picture of the earth that you've seen has been doctored by all the governments so that we think its round its part of some sad conspiracy that they use if presented with proof that suggests they're wrong.
img]http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/Kamikazefish.png[/img]

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 07:41:14 AM »
So for "Flat Earth" just read good old-fashioned "conspiracy theory"? That's disappointing...why on round or flat Earth would every single government in the world be hell-bent on covering up a benign piece of info like that? What would they have to gain by making people think the Earth is round? What about the other planets? It's so ridiculous it makes my head hurt...

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »
Still waiting for an actual reply to my question, rather than an abstract debate  :roll:

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 07:47:07 AM »
So for "Flat Earth" just read good old-fashioned "conspiracy theory"? That's disappointing...why on round or flat Earth would every single government in the world be hell-bent on covering up a benign piece of info like that? What would they have to gain by making people think the Earth is round? What about the other planets? It's so ridiculous it makes my head hurt...

Because as soon as we discover it's made out of marshmallow, everyone will be flocking there with their mugs of hot chocolate.  Then the marshmallow companies will be out of business!  Think man!

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »

Because it a way for governments to take power away from religion, notice the ones saying the earth is flat are from countries where religion is government. You need search out the truth, not just accept what is fed you

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 08:01:15 AM »
Like I said, 400 years ago, you probably would have been a firm believer in a geocentric model of the Universe, and you would have wondered how anyone can believe in Galileo's absurd ideas.

Galileo actually thought the world was the center of the universe for most of his life. He also believed that physics here on earth were different that the celestial world.

It wasn't until later on that he re-invented his telescope and observed the moons of Jupiter that he believed the earth revolved around the Sun.
verybody knows you can conjure anything by the dark of the Moon. - Tori Amos

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »
Quote from: "Liverpoo"

Because it a way for governments to take power away from religion, notice the ones saying the earth is flat are from countries where religion is government. You need search out the truth, not just accept what is fed you

the bible was fed to you,and you believe that is the truth.youre just as guilty as me.i payed attention and got a B in my 9th grade physics class.you read the book of genesis and took it literally.but there is a difference between me and you.though there is no proof that "God" said let there be light,you still believed it and took it as the truth.that is why people flame places like this,because when all evidence points the other way,you continue walking down the same dogmatic road.and insist that your faith is the real truth.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 09:10:44 AM »

P.S. I don't feel bad making fun, cos experience teaches me that people with ahem, certain, views actually enjoy people ridiculing them, cos they can then look down on the unbelievers  :wink:

150 feet is the figure quoted in the FAQ, but that's totally arbitrary and I don't believe it. I estimate something closer to a few thousand feet high.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 09:12:56 AM »
Quote from: "I hit a penguin"

the bible was fed to you,and you believe that is the truth.youre just as guilty as me.i payed attention and got a B in my 9th grade physics class.you read the book of genesis and took it literally.but there is a difference between me and you.though there is no proof that "God" said let there be light,you still believed it and took it as the truth.that is why people flame places like this,because when all evidence points the other way,you continue walking down the same dogmatic road.and insist that your faith is the real truth.

I'm one of the most vocal Flat Earthers on the site and I don't believe in God or religion for a second. I'm an atheist and an objectivist in every concievable way. Also, my country's legislature is to all intents and purposes seperate from church and religion. There is a church of England, but they don't make, or even influence, any legislation and haven't for hundreds of years. You're stupid and badly informed if you think otherwise.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »

The Flat Earth theory basically takes a rather large iron hammer to your pre-conceived notions.

When someone is so rooted to an idea that they can EASILY take it for granted (as a child you watched shows showing the shape of the Earth; you'd go to a store and see globes of the Earth all before you were even taught about it) it is often hard for a person to even try to see it from another point of view.  This really isn't a question of being stubborn (albet it contributes) or being closed-minded (again, it does contribute); I'm sure many of the RE'ers arguing on behalf of the FE'ers went through the same thing.

When you're as sure that the Earth is round as breathing, something so contrary to it (so long as it is not extremely absurd; otherwise you would merely disreguard it) can even be taken as offensive.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 09:22:51 AM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"

150 feet is the figure quoted in the FAQ, but that's totally arbitrary and I don't believe it. I estimate something closer to a few thousand feet high.

How did it become a wall? When did it form? Why hasn't it melted over time? Is it continually rejuvenating itself? Is it also melting like the glaciers? How on Earth can this be treated scientifically when there is no science being done on it like the glaciers? Why am I even bothering to type this? Arrgghhh!

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 09:23:53 AM »
Quote from: "Liverpoo"

You're a clueless ass.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 09:31:44 AM »

How did it become a wall? When did it form? Why hasn't it melted over time? Is it continually rejuvenating itself? Is it also melting like the glaciers? How on Earth can this be treated scientifically when there is no science being done on it like the glaciers? Why am I even bothering to type this? Arrgghhh!

The areas outside the sun's direct path of rotation recieved (and continue to recieve) much less heat, turning the water in those areas to solid ice. Why would it have melted in history? It's not like the sun changed course or anything. (It is melting now, but that's for a different thread).

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 09:35:55 AM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"

I'm one of the most vocal Flat Earthers on the site and I don't believe in God or religion for a second. I'm an atheist and an objectivist in every concievable way. Also, my country's legislature is to all intents and purposes seperate from church and religion. There is a church of England, but they don't make, or even influence, any legislation and haven't for hundreds of years. You're stupid and badly informed if you think otherwise.

yes,isnt that something.first of all i wasnt talking to you.second of all im not saying every FEer is religious,but a big ass percantage of you are.i shouldnt even type to you because you had no place in what i said when it started.i already knew you were aetheist,in response i didnt talk to you.sensitive misinterpreted fag.so is mr.qwerty as well.oh yea,you just said "seperate from church and religion".that also makes you incompetent.care to try again?