another question for y'all

• 24 Replies
another question for y'all
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:14:50 PM »
given ample open space (i.e. ocean, prairie), one can see approximately 26 miles.  this is due to the curvature of the earth.  this is also called the horizon. 
in your theory, there is no curve to the earth.  therefore, one should be able to stand on one side of the earth and see to the other side of the earth.  only, i've been in the middle of the ocean.  i've been to the top of pike's peak.  i have not seen the end of the earth.  i have not seen this icewall-mountainrange known as antarctica.  why is this??

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Re: another question for y'all
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:07:43 PM »
A horizon would appear whether the earth was flat or round.  Also, air isn't clear so you could not see an infinite distance
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:08:42 AM »
You must be extremely confident about your eyes. Hate to burst your bubble, but you don't have magical vision that can see through everything.

~D-Draw

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

• There is no conspiracy...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:14:25 AM »
FE has a horizon because you see a horizon, if FE did not have one FE would not be the haphazard theory it is today.
Quote from: Tomcooper84
there is no optical light, there is just light and theres no other type of light unless you start talkling about energy saving lightbulbs compared to other types of light bulbs
ENaG: Evidence Not a Guarantee.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »
FE has a horizon because you see a horizon, if FE did not have one FE would not be the haphazard theory it is today.

wow that answer is as pathetic as "i exist. therefore i am."  or "i am because i say i am."

and all the rest of you... nobody answered my question.  nobody explained how your horizon exists.  nobody's eyes are just going to stop seeing after so far of a distance.  sure, things won't be clear.  they get all smugged together and blurry... but essentially your eyes can pick up light for as far as space will allow. 

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »
We see a sky above; we see the ground below.  What's the name for that imaginary line that divides them?  How do you figure that FE wouldn't have a horizon?  ::)
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 11:26:56 AM »
www.dictionary.com = "The apparent intersection of the earth and sky as seen by an observer"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/ = " a: the apparent junction of earth and sky b: the great circle on the celestial sphere formed by the intersection of the celestial sphere with a plane tangent to the earth's surface at an observer's position "

thus my point being... if the horizon is an intersection of the earth and the sky... that is because the earth is round and it appears that the round sky meets the surface of the earth.  if it is flat... then both the sky and the earth would stretch straight... there would be no appearance that the sky was meeting the earth because they would run parallel to each other...

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
But that makes no sense at all.   ::)

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 02:23:39 PM »
Neither does FE. Perfect match!
there is no optical light, there is just light and theres no other type of light unless you start talkling about energy saving lightbulbs compared to other types of light bulbs

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »
Neither does FE. Perfect match!

Just because you're not intelligent enough to understand the intricacies of the theory doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. 

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 04:09:08 AM »
Just because FE makes no sense doesn't mean people who realise it doesn't make sense are retards.

There would be a horizon in FE, as the land and sky appear to get closer together, at the point where the difference is too small to resolve with the naked eye. However this horizon would be a lot further back than it is observed, and not even dirty air can explain that.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »
However this horizon would be a lot further back than it is observed, and not even dirty air can explain that.

Sure it can.  The horizon would always be at eye level, and the "dirty air" (as you so Neanderthally call it) will prevent you from seeing beyond a certain point.  Hence, our observation of a horizon.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »
Just because FE makes no sense doesn't mean people who realise it doesn't make sense are retards.

There would be a horizon in FE, as the land and sky appear to get closer together, at the point where the difference is too small to resolve with the naked eye. However this horizon would be a lot further back than it is observed, and not even dirty air can explain that.
Just because you have slept though every single geographi lesson or is simply writing from the year 76BC. Doesn't mean FE don't excist.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »
Boy, I hope English isn't your first language.

?

RE.IS.TRUE

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:57:34 PM »
It is not...That is the problem with you people. When you can't provide facts, you attack the poster

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »

I hope your either mental disabled or a 4 year old.

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 01:18:35 PM »

QFT

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »

I hope you're either mental disabled or a 4 year old.

'mentally' my dear.

In answer to the original post, I quote directly from 'The Book' http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=17001

Quote from: The Book
"hey here's a point." Someone piped up, was his name Gulliver? "Why can't we see the edge of the world from this height? Look, there is clearly a horizon filled with nothing but ocean."

As if he'd declared there was a leprechaun on the side of the helicopter, everyone made a conscious effort t see out of the window and observe this perfectly ordinary phenomenon.

"I was wondering how long it would be until one of you asked that!" Tom chirped in over the intercom. "Air is not perfectly transparent, this is blatantly obvious when it is, for instance, foggy.
 The horizon that you see is a simple natural effect whereby the accumulated air opaqueness is built up until you can see no further. You can see much further the higher you go, surely this is further evidence to support Rowbotham's theory as air gets thinner the higher you go, so the less air there is to see through, so the further you can see."

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
"In many contexts, in particular perspective drawing, the curvature of the earth is typically disregarded and the horizon is considered the theoretical line to which points on any horizontal plane converge (when projected onto the picture plane) as their distance from the viewer increases. Note that, for viewers near the ground, the difference between this geometrical horizon (which assumes a perfectly flat, infinite ground plane) and the true horizon (which assumes a spherical Earth surface) is typically imperceptibly small. That is, if the Earth were truly flat, there would still be a visible horizon line, and, to ground based viewers, its position and appearance would not be significantly different from what we see on our curved Earth."

Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »
It is not...That is the problem with you people. When you can't provide facts, you attack the poster
How did I attack him?  And why do I have a feeling you're being inherently hypocritical in that statement?

You attacked him by attacking his grammar.  "I hope English isn't your first language" implies that, unless he is a foreigner, he is stupid. 

You also used the above statement to detract attention from the discussion.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 05:09:35 PM »
Curses!  Foiled again!  >:(

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 12:45:44 AM »
You attacked him by attacking his grammar.  "I hope English isn't your first language" implies that, unless he is a foreigner, he is stupid. 

Well...

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »
no need to imply that he's stupid...
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 03:40:37 PM »
also....
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 05:16:43 PM »
dongs