I'm not quite convinced

• 10 Replies
I'm not quite convinced
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:07:20 PM »
I've read the FAQ thing and, following your logic, it pretty much all makes sense assuming every argument against it can be debunked by stating that it is false.
However one thing caught my attention, when the statement that a ships hull will disappear first, you reply that it is similar to a plane flying away from you appearing to fly towards the ground when it will also disappear. But that would not happen were the world flat because if it was the plane would appear to get lower until it approaches eye level, it will never be on eye level because it is at a higher altitude.
It only appears to hit the ground because it is in fact at eye level then dropping below eye level as it travels around the curvature of the earth. If my ability to describe it is insufficient I could draw a diagram and post later.
But please could you explain this phenomenon?

?

Tom Bishop

Re: I'm not quite convinced
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
In my experience ships fade out at the horizon. I've never seen a ship sink into the horizon.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:18:35 PM »
Really? I assure you it's been the experience of countless people, myself included. It even says so in the FAQ.

I have the diagrams hosted, though I'm not saying they are good, but they get the picture across.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4320/flatzk0.jpg
That's the link to the flat earth diagram, It shows that the angle between eye level and the plane gets smaller as the plane moves further away making it seem to be flying down, but you can see that even if it were to be far enough away it still wouldn't cross below eye level.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8024/curvegu3.jpg
That shows how the curvature of the earth causes the plane to be appear to be lower than eye level while maintaining constant altitude, and be able to look as if it has crashed into the ground.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:24:36 PM by Unconvinced Richard »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:25:22 PM »
Really? I assure you it's been the experience of countless people, myself included.
Didn't you know Tom has a Doctorate in geology, physics, chemistry, and astronomy(that one was easier for him do to his physics knowledge.)  Thats why he has answers for everything and his opinions disprove experimental results.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:27:50 PM »
Thats why he has answers for everything and his opinions disprove experimental results.

Is that sarcasm? not to sound as if I'm flaming and I don't mean to offend but it is kind of hard to tell on these boards.
EDIT: after seeing your other posts I'll assume it is.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:39:07 PM by Unconvinced Richard »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 02:54:52 PM »
Thats why he has answers for everything and his opinions disprove experimental results.

Is that sarcasm? not to sound as if I'm flaming and I don't mean to offend but it is kind of hard to tell on these boards.
EDIT: after seeing your other posts I'll assume it is.
Yeah it was sacasm, although Tom does seem to know everything and go against experimental values. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
Yeah it was sacasm, although Tom does seem to know everything and go against experimental values. 

I'm surprised the best comeback they can muster so far has only been: That is not my experience.
Of course I could disprove all Round earth experiments if I waited for a foggy day.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »

I'm surprised the best comeback they can muster so far has only been: That is not my experience.
Of course I could disprove all Round earth experiments if I waited for a foggy day.

Its like the world only consists of them. Well them and there 150 year old book. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:16:47 PM »
Really? I assure you it's been the experience of countless people, myself included. It even says so in the FAQ.

I'm telling you I've looked for this discrepancy a number of times on the open ocean and I've never seen it. If the illusion does exist it would be a simple matter of refraction. Rowbotham explains the illusion as a perspective effect dealing with the distances involved.

See Chapter 14 of Earth Not a Globe: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za32.htm

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »

I'm telling you I've looked for this discrepancy a number of times on the open ocean and I've never seen it. If the illusion does exist it would be a simple matter of refraction. Rowbotham explains the illusion as a perspective effect dealing with the distances involved.

See Chapter 14 of Earth Not a Globe: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za32.htm
Ah very long and detailed, just for clarification, it is saying that it is caused by the object becoming too small to be seen by our eyes? In case I misunderstood.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 05:48:31 PM »
Well Tom, in MY expirience, ships DO sink below the horizon without becoming small dots due to perspective. There is definitely a horizon when I look out over the ocean. There is no faded line or blurry fade-out, just a solid, obvious line where sea meets sky. Or am I just a government agent here to mess with your heads?
Plato: People are inherently bad.
Aristotle: People are inherently good.
Me: People are inherently stupid.