What would happen to the Internet if there were no government regulation?

• 4 Replies

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
In " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">my latest YouTube video, called "Why I am no longer an anarchist", I used the argument against anarchism that, if not for the government regulation, the Internet would be paralyzed by denial-of-service attacks. I think that, without government regulation, many ISPs would set up their DNS servers to respond to all IP addresses, rather than just the IP adresses they are supposed to serve. That would make it easy for hackers to amplify their denial-of-service attacks, as DNS servers often respond with long responses to short queries. Hackers would simply spoof their IP addresses as if they are of the server they are attacking and make short DNS requests, flooding the server they are attacking with DNS responses to queries it did not actually make. What do you think about that argument? To me, as somebody who has a Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering, that argument seems legit.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory:

Lorddave

Nope.
Anything that harms profit would be dealt with by ISPs.  They'd simply fix it themselves.  Likely you'd have large chunks of the internet segmented with DNS entries passed between some countries but not all(or rather ISPs).

You'd probably have to pay for website access beyond simple internet usage.  Like "do you want to visit facebook?  Sign up for our social media package and get 50gb of bandwidth and access to full access to facebook.com, twitter, instagram, and more!  Only $9.99/month extra."

You'd also have DNS conflicts where two ISPs would have different entries for the same domain.  Just depends on which one you wanna use.

The internet would be a mess and likely stay in the 90s.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Cloudflare is the company that protects websites that get DDoS'd (I mean, if they pay for it). They used to be great, because they took a firm stance on providing anyone protection, no matter their politics. They were neutral. Now they've broken that and will refuse service if the right people make a big enough fuss.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

What do you think about that argument?
I think you've no idea what you are talking about.
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
Re: What would happen to the Internet if there were no government regulation?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 09:17:01 AM »
What do you think about that argument?
I think you've no idea what you are talking about.
Well, I think I am about as qualified to guess what will happen to the Internet in an anarchy as one can be. I have a Bachelor degree in computer engineering and my Bachelor thesis was a web-app.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory: