A thought experiment.

• 96 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: A thought experiment.
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
You really think we didn't understand the point you're trying to make? ::)

As for being able to counter with objections ad infinitum, I don't think that would work. First of all, DSE is so explicitly incorporated into the experiment that you would have to challenge either its plausibility or possibility. However, as you set up the scenario in such a way that I have infinite manpower and building resources, challenging the former alone isn't really an option. Given that as long as the structure is merely possible (which seems likely provided I have as much manpower and building materials as I want), it wholly satisfies your criteria, to problematise the experiment effectively (even in a purely argumentative sense), you would have to prove that building such a structure would be impossible.

There are simpler alternatives that are much more plausible, but I decided it'd be more enjoyable to make fun of your thought experiment by picking the silliest thing I could think of.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:19:11 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
To summarize, The knowledge's thought experiment fails while he simultaneously fails to recognize when he's being toyed with.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
Nonsense. You guys couldn't resist the temptation to rumble a troll scheme if any RE'er came up with it, especially me. Wilmore has too much pride to play the ass on purpose, and Ichi would just have pointed it out as soon as he noticed rather than persisting with RE type arguments.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »
... and just as some food for thought, the theodolite method works on a round earth. Just saying.  ;)
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
Nonsense. You guys couldn't resist the temptation to rumble a troll scheme if any RE'er came up with it, especially me. Wilmore has too much pride to play the ass on purpose, and Ichi would just have pointed it out as soon as he noticed rather than persisting with RE type arguments.

How could we "rumble" it? I thought about explicitly asking you to state your intentions, but I knew you'd just accuse us of dodging/refusing to answer the question etc. So I simply took on the challenge and made you look silly in the process. Easy.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

How could we "rumble" it? I thought about explicitly asking you to state your intentions, but I knew you'd just accuse us of dodging/refusing to answer the question etc. So I simply took on the challenge and made you look silly in the process. Easy.

Yeah, you just keep saying that.  ;)

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
I see you've gone back to playing psychic. Good day.