Blowing the conspiracy wide open

• 41 Replies

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Blowing the conspiracy wide open
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »
Opponents of the conspiracy theory argue that if a conspiracy truly exists, someone would have said something by now.  Let's hypothesize a scenario where that might have happened.

Say some employee of NASA who knows the truth retires.  He decides to blow the lid off the conspiracy.  He contacts CNN, MSNBC, Reuters, and FoxNews.  He tells them that the earth is actually flat and the government has been lying to us!

Wow!  Big news, right?  Wall-to-wall coverage?

Isn't it more likely that our hypothetical employee would be treated as a crackpot conspiracy theorist and never even be mentioned in the news, or to the public at large?

Of course!  Then when this poor fellow just disappears a month later, it's not paid any mind.  Why would it be?  Nobody is going to believe that the earth is flat.  The conspiracy has made damn sure of that.

Who knows how many people have tried to blow the lid off the conspiracy, failed, and paid the ultimate price for trying?

And then of course the leaders of the conspiracy can bring this point up to anybody who needs to find out the truth, adding a new level of threat to anybody who would dare try!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:14:59 AM by Roundy the Truthinessist »
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Kill-9

• House Shaped Earth Proponent
Re: Blowing the conspiracy wide open
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
News stations have covered alien stories, UFO stories, etc. What makes you think they wouldn't dso a special on it? besides, being in the conspiracy that long would mean you would be able to OWN all of those news corporations. They'd have to pay you enough to make it worth your while.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
(random horseshit that doesn't make sense)
Quote from: Viscount Dead Kangaroo
I spend half the day with a dick in my mouth

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
News stations have covered alien stories, UFO stories, etc. What makes you think they wouldn't dso a special on it? besides, being in the conspiracy that long would mean you would be able to OWN all of those news corporations. They'd have to pay you enough to make it worth your while.

UFO stories have the ring of truth to a lot of people; even ghosts do.  The idea of a flat earth, however, is generally seen as pure fiction and wouldn't be given any consideration.  And again I don't see why they'd have to pay all that much, when they have intimidation working in their favor as well.

It costs a lot of money to own a news corporation.  The few million dollars a conspiracy employee might make would not cover the costs.  ::)

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »
Opponents of the conspiracy theory argue that if a conspiracy truly exists, someone would have said something by now.  Let's hypothesize a scenario where that might have happened.

Say some employee of NASA who knows the truth retires.  He decides to blow the lid off the conspiracy.  He contacts CNN, MSNBC, Reuters, and FoxNews.  He tells them that the earth is actually flat and the government has been lying to us!

Isn't it more likely that our hypothetical employee would be treated as a crackpot conspiracy theorist and never even be mentioned in the news, or to the public at large?

Of course!  Then when this poor fellow just disappears a month later, it's not paid any mind.  Why would it be?  Nobody is going to believe that the earth is flat.  The conspiracy has made damn sure of that.

Who knows how many people have tried to blow the lid off the conspiracy, failed, and paid the ultimate price for trying?

And then of course the leaders of the conspiracy can bring this point up to anybody who needs to find out the truth, adding a new level of threat to anybody who would dare try!

Terrible logic.  If the former conspirator worked for NASA, he'd probably be smart enough to show some evidence, like financial records of bribes or video footage revealing a flat earth.  Sure, most people probably would think he was crazy anyway, but how do you know that no major news station would even pay a shred of attention to him?

News stations have covered alien stories, UFO stories, etc. What makes you think they wouldn't dso a special on it?

Exactly.  Fox aired a special on whether or not NASA lied about going to the moon.  Scholars and scientists everywhere were disgusted by the lack of evidence or science to back it up, but Fox hardly cared, because it made money for them.  There would be no way that the conspiracy would be able to "lean" on the media to try and get them to ignore it.

As for the idea of the conspiracy using force to back themselves up, this contradicts the earlier argument of "ignoring".  Some on this website argue that the government doesn't shut us down because that would cast suspicion on them.  Yet almost no one in the public at large has heard of us, so they would run very little risk if they took us out.  But they don't.

By the same logic, I doubt the conspiracy would be that desperate as to kill someone that nobody listens to or believes in.  To complicate matters even more, what if the rat didn't fade away, as you predict, but actually became somewhat famous for his wild beliefs?  Take Bart Stribel, for instance.  He never stops popping onto TV to present a horrible documentary.  Nobody listens to him, but if he suddenly died under strange circumstances, a lot of people might become very suspicious...

To top it off, Stribel only has "outside" knowledge.  Our hypothetical rat, being a former conspirator, might well have some evidence to support his claims.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »

Terrible logic.  If the former conspirator worked for NASA, he'd probably be smart enough to show some evidence, like financial records of bribes or video footage revealing a flat earth.  Sure, most people probably would think he was crazy anyway, but how do you know that no major news station would even pay a shred of attention to him?

News stations have covered alien stories, UFO stories, etc. What makes you think they wouldn't dso a special on it?

Exactly.  Fox aired a special on whether or not NASA lied about going to the moon.  Scholars and scientists everywhere were disgusted by the lack of evidence or science to back it up, but Fox hardly cared, because it made money for them.  There would be no way that the conspiracy would be able to "lean" on the media to try and get them to ignore it.

As for the idea of the conspiracy using force to back themselves up, this contradicts the earlier argument of "ignoring".  Some on this website argue that the government doesn't shut us down because that would cast suspicion on them.  Yet almost no one in the public at large has heard of us, so they would run very little risk if they took us out.  But they don't.

By the same logic, I doubt the conspiracy would be that desperate as to kill someone that nobody listens to or believes in.  To complicate matters even more, what if the rat didn't fade away, as you predict, but actually became somewhat famous for his wild beliefs?  Take Bart Stribel, for instance.  He never stops popping onto TV to present a horrible documentary.  Nobody listens to him, but if he suddenly died under strange circumstances, a lot of people might become very suspicious...

To top it off, Stribel only has "outside" knowledge.  Our hypothetical rat, being a former conspirator, might well have some evidence to support his claims.

Sure, unless the people who run the conspiracy are smart enough to not allow him to take any such evidence with him.  And Fox aired, and made money on, the moon hoax conspiracy special because it is a popular conspiracy many people are familiar with, while almost nobody knows about the flat earth conspiracy.  They would check the "facts", decide there's nothing to it, and ignore it.  Perhaps our hypothetical whistle-blower would escape the experience unscathed, but I think there's a flaw in your logic there as well.  The conspiracy sees this website as a bunch of harmless speculation by people who know nothing, while our whistle-blower would have been intimately connected to the conspiracy, and I think they would certainly see him as more of a threat.

Kill-9

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:39:03 PM »
Fox would make money on airing some rich ass wacko telling us the world is flat and there is a conspiracy afoot. Why not?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
Fox would make money on airing some rich ass wacko telling us the world is flat and there is a conspiracy afoot. Why not?

I think they would never air it because there's no guarantee they would make money off a theory nobody is familiar with.

Kill-9

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »

I think they would never air it because there's no guarantee they would make money off a theory nobody is familiar with.
I think you're wrong.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »

I think you're wrong.

Thank God opinions don't equate to facts.

Kill-9

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »

I think you're wrong.

You must be blind or retarded. Or both, I can't tell.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »

I think you're wrong.

Why do you say that?

Kill-9

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 12:46:59 PM »

I think you're wrong.

Why do you say that?
Because you're very wrong. It's obvious they'd air something of that nature. They air much stupider things.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
Bringing intelligent debate back into the conversation *angry glare at Kill-9*:

Yes, the conspiracy probably does guard its evidence to make sure that no one person has the power to ruin everything.  But even without proof in hand, a whistle-blower could very well make a stir.  If he could convince the producers of at least one major network to realize his theory is not inherently ridiculous (harder than it sounds, I know, but it worked on us, didn't it? ;)) they might give him some time.

Maybe no one is familiar with the FET, but that doesn't mean that no one would watch the show.  Even if I hadn't heard of this website, I'd probably watch it, thinking to myself something about how dumb people can be.  In fact, the very nature of this new, untapped source of controversy would probably attract more people than the moon hoax.

At this point, the conspiracy attempting an assassination would probably do them more harm then good.  The only way I see them successfully pulling off the rat's murder and getting away scot-free would be if they could catch him before he goes live.  Afterwards, his sudden death would only reaffirm that NASA has something to hide.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »

I think you're wrong.

Why do you say that?
Because you're very wrong. It's obvious they'd air something of that nature. They air much stupider things.

LOL.  There's probably more that they don't air because they dismiss it as unprofitable than that they do air.  Fail.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »
Bringing intelligent debate back into the conversation *angry glare at Kill-9*:

Yes, the conspiracy probably does guard its evidence to make sure that no one person has the power to ruin everything.  But even without proof in hand, a whistle-blower could very well make a stir.  If he could convince the producers of at least one major network to realize his theory is not inherently ridiculous (harder than it sounds, I know, but it worked on us, didn't it? ;)) they might give him some time.

Maybe no one is familiar with the FET, but that doesn't mean that no one would watch the show.  Even if I hadn't heard of this website, I'd probably watch it, thinking to myself something about how dumb people can be.  In fact, the very nature of this new, untapped source of controversy would probably attract more people than the moon hoax.

At this point, the conspiracy attempting an assassination would probably do them more harm then good.  The only way I see them successfully pulling off the rat's murder and getting away scot-free would be if they could catch him before he goes live.  Afterwards, his sudden death would only reaffirm that NASA has something to hide.

Sure, you think it would be profitable, but who's to say that a network executive would see it the same way?  And as an aside, FET has existed for over 150 years.  If such a concept is profitable, why hasn't there been a special done by one of the major networks yet?

I think the conspiracy could very easily pull of an assassination under these conditions.  They make it look like suicide.  If they can succeed in doing that then it'd just be another wacko who decided he couldn't handle living in this world anymore.

Of course there's no guarantee they'd get away with it, but there's no guarantee they wouldn't get away with it, either.

Kill-9

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »

I think you're wrong.

Why do you say that?

LOL.  There's probably more that they don't air because they dismiss it as unprofitable than that they do air.  Fail.
Wow. you're the wrongest man in wrong town.

FAIL

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »

I think you're wrong.

Why do you say that?

Wow. you're the wrongest man in wrong town.

FAIL

A very reasoned rebuttal. /sarcasm  ::)

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
If you want to provide a fertile ground for a news story on the event, I suggest you contact the news organizations and ask them. "News" is now really entertainment and driven entirely by ratings. How many people do you think watch UFO stories? That's why they run. How many people would watch a story about flat earth (IF a conspirator were to come forward)? Relatively few. So do your part and contact the news organizations and then maybe we will see some "evidence of the conspiracy on the news".
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Kill-9

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
If you want to provide a fertile ground for a news story on the event, I suggest you contact the news organizations and ask them. "News" is now really entertainment and driven entirely by ratings. How many people do you think watch UFO stories? That's why they run. How many people would watch a story about flat earth (IF a conspirator were to come forward)? Relatively few. So do your part and contact the news organizations and then maybe we will see some "evidence of the conspiracy on the news".
You wouldn't find it entertaining to see some crazy dude with a straight face rambling on about something that isn't true? They do it all the time man..

Kill-9

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Roundy the Truthinessist
Sorry for hurting your feelings  :(

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
We must also consider the possibility that the conspiracy has plants within the major networks so they can be notified if anything is attempted.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »

You didn't hurt my feelings.  In fact, I find it empowering that you've run out of arguments and are now resorting to ad hominem tactics.

Kill-9

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »
We must also consider the possibility that the conspiracy has plants within the major networks so they can be notified if anything is attempted.
So you're saying the media is involved in the conspiracy? Tom says no. Got proof?

You didn't hurt my feelings.  In fact, I find it empowering that you've run out of arguments and are now resorting to ad hominem tactics.
Its ok buddy. We're here for ya! It'll all work out man.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
 :-*

Kill-9

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
Kids...kids...please
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
Kids...kids...please

They'll only have kids is one of Roundy or K-9 is not male. My money is on K-9...
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Kill-9

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
I don't care who started it, you both better stop it or you're going to bed without supper!  >:(
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
He started it.

And you lost it.

Another win for FE.  Yeah!  ;D