Advice to other Round Earthers

• 2 Replies
?

Nolhekh

• Animator
Advice to other Round Earthers
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
The idea of a flat earth, definitely flies in the face of everything we know and understand.  So on finding this website, it's only natural to feel like you've encountered a religious cult of closed-minded lunatics, and you might be inclined to treat them as such.  But if you have that inclination then may I direct you at this: #ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Phil Plait, "Don't Be a Dick" (Part 1 of 3)

In my opinion, there are two major kinds of "Flat Earther" that could possibly exist here.  Those that actually believe the earth is flat for some reason or another, and those who don't and are just trying to troll you.  Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy way to tell these apart, but think of it this way when you are ready to engage in debate and discussion (and the next bit applies to both sides).  If the person is trying to troll you, why bait them?  Emotional posts about how stupid and arrogant you think the opposition is only get in the way of those of us who wish to make a real argument, and give the troll what they want from you.  If they really do believe the earth is flat, then they may have a legitimate reason for doing so, and it's only polite to show respect for this, and they are entitled to their beliefs.  If you want to debate with anyone, do so with all the rationality and respect that you can. 

Also keep as open a mind as you can, because most of us Round Earthers don't come here knowing nearly as much as we need to about our own side of the debate as we should, and end up making completely false arguments against the Flat Earthers.  Quite often you'll see the Universal Acceleration hypothesis attacked by clueless people who don't fully understand how newton's laws of motion work, or cite the speed of light speed limit issue, despite the fact that the very same theory actually makes it possible.  So before arguing, research the subject first!

Another thing I see a lot here is that on both sides, the physics of either model comes under fire.  This, in my mind, completely loses sight of the debate.  The debate is whether the earth is flat, or round.  This is purely a matter of geometry, which falls under observation and measurement.  The earth was decided to be round and orbit the sun long before Newton and Einstein described the laws of the system.  It was decided to be round because this was the best shape that fit the observations of the astronomers.  If observations were consistent with a flat earth, then the earth is flat.  This is where I believe the debate should be constrained to.  Debates about how the earth formed, and how gravity works, I believe, are off topic.

ausGeoff

Re: Advice to other Round Earthers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »

It was decided to be round because this was the best shape that fit the observations of the astronomers.  If observations were consistent with a flat earth, then the earth is flat.

Very well put.

This single sentence nicely sums up why the flat earth model cannot be supported by any rational person.  It's also the reason why no accredited scientists accept a flat earth model.

I've asked numerous times here for the names of any scientists who support the flat earth model, but thus far no flat earther has been able to name even one.

I've also repeatedly asked for photographic evidence (even suspected fakes) and again no flat earther has been able to provide one single image.  Additionally, there is no universally accepted map of the alleged flat earth.  Why not, if it exists?

?

QuQu

Re: Advice to other Round Earthers
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:35:10 PM »
I think Sceptimaic is the only true believer in flat earth. All other FEs here are just professional trolls/jokers, and nothing more. Poor Sceppy...