Does scripture teach a Flat Earth Cosmology?

• 40 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Does scripture teach a Flat Earth Cosmology?
« on: December 22, 2018, 03:11:27 AM »
Many try to argue that the Scriptures do not really contain flat earth cosmology. Strangely I believe Scriptures do contain flat earth cosmology.
But not being an expert in such matters, I'll keep an open mind.

Nevertheless I do not believe that the Scriptures teach a flat earth cosmology and I believe that there is a difference between "contain" and "teach".

Let's put it this way:
  • The Scriptures were written to a people whose cosmology was that the earth was flat and probably as presented on the apocryphal Book of Enoch.

• Hence many believe that the Bible was never intended to teach "Cosmology" and simply contains the cosmology of the time.
Now just imagine what the ancient Hebrews would have thought if their scriptures had tried to "bring them up-to-date" in "modern science".
They would have been totally confused and probably quite unable to grasp the real message of the Scriptures.

And there is another big problem, just what "modern science" would it present?
  • That of Ptolemy as believed by the early Church and the Reformers, John Calvin and Martin Luther?
  • That of Nicolaus Copernicus or of Tycho Brahe?
  • That of Galileo, Kepler and Newton etc?
  • That of "Modern Science"?

"Modern Science" is not yet complete anyway and any Scientist or Cosmolologist knows that.
To cover any of that the scriptures would exceed the Encyclopædia Britannica many times over and the real message would be totally lost.

You might read Science and Faith, Perspectives on Christianity and Science, Essays Table of Contents
 and especially III: DOES THE BIBLE TEACH SCIENCE? Robert J. Schneider
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:14:23 PM by rabinoz »

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Does scriptures teach a Flat Earth Cosmology?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:21:39 AM »
I don't remember ever having touched a bible.
I will recuse myself from this discussion.  ;)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 04:02:29 AM »
Fine, this thread is no more than a place to to put that material.
But what bugs me is the number of flat-earthers on YouTube pushing Scripture as proof of the flat-earth.
It's not very prevalent on this site, though a few effectively try it and initially Astronomy did and might "revert to type".
And debating them by simply claiming Scripture is bunkum (not that I believe that anyway) doesn't work.
It would be like debating Tom Bishop (bless his atheistic soul ;)) by claiming his Sacred texts,  ENaG by the patron Saint of Flat Earthism, Saint Samuel Birley Rowbotham was bunkum - sacré bleu!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Does scripture teach a Flat Earth Cosmology?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 11:30:59 AM »
So you posed a question with the word "teach" in it and then objected to the wording of your own question?

There are lots of threads on the forum regarding the Biblical reasons for FE, we even have some stuff in our library https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/library/newspaperandmagazine/Flat%20Earth%20Bible,%20The%20(Schadewald).pdf   

I don't know where you want this thread to go, and I don't know why you posted it down here.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
So you posed a question with the word "teach" in it and then objected to the wording of your own question?
Yes, but the wording came from Astronomy's post.
As I tried to explain to Bullwinkle all I wanted was a place to put the post so that I could refer to it in a reply to Astronomy.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
There are lots of threads on the forum regarding the Biblical reasons for FE, we even have some stuff in our library https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/library/newspaperandmagazine/Flat%20Earth%20Bible,%20The%20(Schadewald).pdf   
Sure but I don't really want to debate that, though I guess I'd comply if someone wanted.
If anything my point is that while the Bible might be a "flat earth book" that is no reason think that it "teaches a flat-earth cosmology".

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
I don't know where you want this thread to go, and I don't know why you posted it down here.
I'm happy enough to have it go nowhere - just sit there.
All I want is a "repository" but is it the sort of material that could be put in the "Flat Earth Information Repository"? 
I would have thought not, so I kept away from there.

I'll wait your advice on what to do in such as case.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 05:13:31 PM »
Seems like posting it directly in the thread you are referring to would have made the most sense. Anyway, I'm moving this to FE General.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
Seems like posting it directly in the thread you are referring to would have made the most sense. Anyway, I'm moving this to FE General.
OK, I guess any links will be preserved.
Next time I'll put something in the thread and link to it.

?

dutchy

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 05:43:19 PM »
  • The Scriptures were written to a people whose cosmology was that the earth was flat and probably as presented on the apocryphal Book of Enoch[/
God could have easily told a simplified version of modern cosmology instead of claiming idiotic falsehoods..... (hypothetically speaking)
Please let me try.....

In the beginning before the creations of the heavens and the earth there was God.
Everything was created by the seed God planted in the darkness.
God the unseen gardener released the seed and the seed germinated into vastness and greatness to be the whomb of life in it’s various forms.
God devided the emptiness and the remains of the seed.
The emptiness was void of anything and the remains of the mighty seed formed the stars, sun, moon and many earths.

The heavens and this earth we live upon acted according to the laws that God had set.
The stars, sun and moon never disobeyed on their ongoing journey through the heavens.
God choose our home among many others to create life.

An eternity passed before men came about , because life had chosen so many different directions before men finally arrived.
It was the pinnacle of survival, against all odds, but there he was ...an accident only truly understood by God himself.
When the ages will pass time will come to reveal the truth to the brightest and smartest among men.
They will teach there fellow breathren what will be covered untill the enlightening of true knowledge will be the new dawn on earth.

I really think no goathherder would have objected to this version of modern creation one bit.
Either you believe in God and the bible or you don’t.
I know what you believe, but do you know it too rabinoz ?

You know my point of view..... modern cosmology is antichrist in every thinkable way and from every thinkable angle.
[/list]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:03:34 PM by dutchy »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 07:08:05 PM »
  • The Scriptures were written to a people whose cosmology was that the earth was flat and probably as presented on the apocryphal Book of Enoch[/
God could have easily told a simplified version of modern cosmology instead of claiming idiotic falsehoods..... (hypothetically speaking)
Please let me try.....
OK you tried but I don't anywhere "claiming idiotic falsehoods". What is there is presented in a way that the people could understand.
But I might ask a simple one or two?
Where are "THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH"? Where are "the ends of the earth"?

Quote from: dutchy
I really think no goathherder would have objected to this version of modern creation one bit.
But if that shepherd (or even some more educated person) already was versed in the current cosmology then it might have been so strange that there would have been debates raging for centuries as to what this or that meant.

Even those "shepherds" who "watch’d their flocks by night, All seated on the ground" understood the important message.

You don't think, but who would yet claim that anybody yet knows "the theory of everything".
Either you believe in God and the bible or you don’t.
It is not quite as simple as that except to people that claim to know "THE TRUTH" and few honest people claim that.
I'm not going to get into a discussion on a word for word literalist interpretation of a book written in a language so different from Greek, Latin and modern languages that many are debating still how many passages should be translated.
There is little doubt as to the meaning of the important message.

I know what you believe, but do you know it too rabinoz?
No, you don't and stop pretending that you do.

You know my point of view..... modern cosmology is antichrist in every thinkable way and from every thinkable angle.
Yes, your "point of view" but I'm afraid there are millions who disagree.
But neither the Globe nor the Heliocentric Solar System depend on "modern cosmology" - there was no "modern cosmology" in the 1700s.
A geocentric Solar System, especially Tycho Brahe's, fits easily made observations far better any flat earth model ever could - though is still impossible.

But have it your own way. I've said all I'm going to say here.[/list]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:32:01 PM by rabinoz »

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 11:17:34 AM »
Yes it does.  This  may  be by accident, but its clear from historical record that those who wrote the scripture believed in a flat earth, and there is no doubt it would come into play in scripture (at least before translation.) For a detailed argument, look to Wardlaw who dissects the bible, sometimes in its original tongue, to prove this inconclusively.

I imagine the argument  might be that there  is no "bringing up to date" the scriptures. They were written perfectly by a perfect creator.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
Also we are still validating Tycho Brahes observations and predictions even today.  I think we need more than to say "its impossible" to support his model is incorrect (though it is, but a far shot better than the heliocentric nonsense out there.)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
Yes it does.  This  may  be by accident, but its clear from historical record that those who wrote the scripture believed in a flat earth, and there is no doubt it would come into play in scripture (at least before translation.) For a detailed argument, look to Wardlaw who dissects the bible, sometimes in its original tongue, to prove this inconclusively.
I don't believe that I disputed that and Robert J. Schadewal also states clearly that he believes that as in The Flat Earth Bible © 1987, 1995 by Robert J. Schadewal from The Flat Earth Society library.

Quote from: John Davis
I imagine the argument might be that there is no "bringing up to date" the scriptures. They were written perfectly by a perfect creator.
I would claim that the purpose of the perfect creator was not to teach cosmology and that would only be a distraction.
Rather than interfere with normal human progress He chose to let people investigate things in their own way "in the fullness of time" (apologies to Sir Humphrey Appleby)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »
Also we are still validating Tycho Brahes observations and predictions even today.  I think we need more than to say "its impossible" to support his model is incorrect (though it is, but a far shot better than the heliocentric nonsense out there.)
You do? It's such a pity it couldn't possibly work.
Newton's Laws of Motion and Universal Gravitation might get in the way - but then you casually dismiss gravitation (except when you don't).
I would not hold that against Tycho Brahe. His work was published around 1573 and Isaac Newton's Principia was not published till 1687.

Tycho Brahe certainly did not believe that the earth was flat with the celestial objects circling above like a swarm of flies that certainly could not replicate his observations.
This is a bit of the Wikipedia entry:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Tychonic system
The Tychonic system (or Tychonian system) is a model of the Solar System published by Tycho Brahe in the late 16th century, which combines what he saw as the mathematical benefits of the Copernican system with the philosophical and "physical" benefits of the Ptolemaic system. The model may have been inspired by Valentin Naboth and Paul Wittich, a Silesian mathematician and astronomer. A similar model was implicit in the calculations a century earlier by Nilakantha Somayaji of the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics.

It is conceptually a geocentric model: the Earth is at the centre of the universe, the Sun and Moon and the stars revolve around the Earth, and the other five planets revolve around the Sun. At the same time, the motions of the planets are mathematically equivalent to the motions in Copernicus' heliocentric system under a simple coordinate transformation, so that, as long as no force law is postulated to explain why the planets move as described, there is no mathematical reason to prefer either the Tychonic or the Copernican system.

The Tychonic system, with the objects that rotate around the Earth shown on blue orbits and the objects that rotate around the Sun shown on orange orbits.
Around all is a sphere of stars, which rotates.

A casual observer on earth could not tell the difference between the Tychonian System and the current Heliocentric Solar System.
But a casual viewer can easily see that the planetary motions shown below dod not fit even the most obvious observations:
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
The Planets
Solar System
Q. What does the Solar System look like in FET?

A. In FET the planets are revolving around the sun, while the sun itself revolves around the Northern Hub.
Yes, Tycho Brahe was brilliant but simply lacked the equipment to make more precise measurements.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 01:40:49 PM »
His measurements were so precise we are still proving them true today. Without the tools we have today.  That should resonate a bit with you, if you care about empiricism. Its is profoundly relevant and prolific.

Yes he believed it was round.  I disagree, but I would never say his model is impossible because I recognize the solution space in play. You might as well turn  heliocentric views on their head with a relativistic point that earth is our preferred FoR.

Schadewal while he tried his best is no better than those today who look from outside and try to understand us.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
I actually disagree  with myself - he is much better. He at least looked, observed, and discovered.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »
But what bugs me is the number of flat-earthers on YouTube pushing Scripture as proof of the flat-earth.
It's not very prevalent on this site, though a few effectively try it and initially Astronomy did and might "revert to type".
And debating them by simply claiming Scripture is bunkum (not that I believe that anyway) doesn't work.
It would be like debating Tom Bishop (bless his atheistic soul ;)) by claiming his Sacred texts,  ENaG by the patron Saint of Flat Earthism, Saint Samuel Birley Rowbotham was bunkum - sacré bleu!

They use scriptures because many consider scripture to be divine.

If you can get divinity on your side that's a pretty cool player to have on your team. And because it doesn't talk back it is difficult to argue against.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 09:42:12 PM »

They use scriptures because many consider scripture to be divine.
If you can get divinity on your side that's a pretty cool player to have on your team. And because it doesn't talk back it is difficult to argue against.
True enough and I'd claim that when looked at objectively "divinity" has nothing to do with the case.
Of course usually that works no better than debating some religious sects.
You cannot debunk a belief.
All you can do is present evidence in the hope that a few might be encouraged to investigate further and convince themselves. It has happened.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »
All you can do is present evidence in the hope that a few might be encouraged to investigate further and convince themselves. It has happened.

How is that working out for you?

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 04:22:00 AM »
How is that working out for you?
Something happened to your "quotes". I hope this is what you intended.

When I said "It has happened" I'm did not mean to imply that I had anything to do with their "convincing themselves":
  • one case was TigerDan925 on YouTube and TigerDan925 "convinced himself" from his attempts to make an "accurate flat-earth map".
    He couldn't get Antarctica to "fit", so looking closer he gave up on the flat altogether after posting many videos supporting the flat earth.
    Since then he has made a series starting with:
           Flat earth could be a big deception? Liars Scared. MAP SCAM exposed!!! TigerDan925 and then Flat Earth Deception Part 2. Exposing Myself & others. TigerDan925
    and received plenty of criticism from other flat-earthers for "betraying the cause".

• Another is cikljamas who is a member and current "debater" here. He convinced himself after some of his own careful measurements were enough for him to accept that the earth (water in a long long tube) really curved.
    I've no idea whether any debates here had anything to do with his change of opinion. Mind you he is still a geocentrists and we still have much the same debates but at least from the viewpoint of a spherical earth and that simplifies things a bit.

His YouTube channel is odiupicku (AKA cikljamas).
    Until, as far as I can tell around Jul 8, 2017, he made numerous flat-earth videos but this video seems to be "where he came -out":
          THE FINAL WORD ON THE FLAT-EARTH ISSUE : FLAT EARTH IS A PSYOP DESIGNED TO CONCEAL GEOCENTRIC TRUTH! odiupicku after that video he commented:
    Quote from: odiupicku, Published on Jul 8, 2017
    I was patient enough, but time has come to put cards on the table :
    1. The earth is 100 % stationary, but the earth isn't flat!

2. 1A) There is mountain of evidence in favor of the stationary earth, but in the same time we (flat-earthers) are not able to address sanely following problems:
    <<etc, etc. >>
    And now he posts videos supporting a stationary Globe and still attacks NASA ::).
    He's made a series that are a "take-off" of Eric Dubay's 200 proofs, starting with ERIC DUMBAY'S 201st PROOF-make it viral or stay dumb, odiupicku, Published on Aug 18, 2017..

I've no idea if any of the debates had any effect, who knows?
So, it does happen, but people have to "convince themselves".

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 04:28:04 AM »
But not being an expert in such matters,

• South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map
• Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 05:27:12 AM »

And also no tattoos and much less hair ;D.

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 05:40:50 AM »

And also no tattoos and much less hair ;D.

Okay, thank you, Mr. Lonegranger ~
• South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map
• Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:16 AM »
I don't believe that I disputed that and Robert J. Schadewal also states clearly that he believes that as in The Flat Earth Bible © 1987, 1995 by Robert J. Schadewal from The Flat Earth Society library.
No one said you did dispute it. I'm glad we agree that scripture talks of a flat earth.
I imagine the argument might be that there is no "bringing up to date" the scriptures. They were written perfectly by a perfect creator.
I would claim that the purpose of the perfect creator was not to teach cosmology and that would only be a distraction.
Rather than interfere with normal human progress He chose to let people investigate things in their own way "in the fullness of time" (apologies to Sir Humphrey Appleby)
If the purpose of a creator is not to teach cosmology (and all of his works which should be celebrated), then why would he have created the cosmos?

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork."

He explicitly states to ask nature for wisdom in Job, and that it is no distraction as it builds praise for him in his works :
7 But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.

A primary message of Job, in fact, is to trust the word of God and not presume you know how the universe works.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
No one said you did dispute it. I'm glad we agree that scripture talks of a flat earth.
If the purpose of a creator is not to teach cosmology (and all of his works which should be celebrated), then why would he have created the cosmos?

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork."

He explicitly states to ask nature for wisdom in Job, and that it is no distraction as it builds praise for him in his works :
7 But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.

A primary message of Job, in fact, is to trust the word of God and not presume you know how the universe works.
I agree exactly.

But what I do not agree with is that Scripture is intended to spoon-feed us with the "Theory of Everything".
Mankind has been given the ability to find this knowledge from studying "Nature".

Galileo was, of course, referring to Geocentrism vs Heliocentrism issue but on this issue he argued that God wrote two books:
Quote from: Kelly James Clark
Science and Religion: Two Books
Galileo argued that God has written two books — the Book of Nature and the Book of Scripture — and that these two books do not, because they cannot, contradict. That means that if one has a well-established scientific explanation of the physical world that seems to contradict a passage of Scripture, one has good reason to reconsider one’s interpretation of Scripture. The surface meaning of the Bible may not be its true meaning.
<< see the rest for more detail >>
Galileo's letter can be found at: Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina of Tuscany (1615) (abridged) by Galileo Galilei

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 01:40:08 PM »

I agree exactly.

But what I do not agree with is that Scripture is intended to spoon-feed us with the "Theory of Everything".
It shouldn't. Have you read the rest of Job? Clearly its not for us to know the details of God's actions.
Mankind has been given the ability to find this knowledge from studying "Nature".

Galileo was, of course, referring to Geocentrism vs Heliocentrism issue but on this issue he argued that God wrote two books:
Quote from: Kelly James Clark
Science and Religion: Two Books
Galileo argued that God has written two books — the Book of Nature and the Book of Scripture — and that these two books do not, because they cannot, contradict. That means that if one has a well-established scientific explanation of the physical world that seems to contradict a passage of Scripture, one has good reason to reconsider one’s interpretation of Scripture. The surface meaning of the Bible may not be its true meaning.
<< see the rest for more detail >>
Galileo's letter can be found at: Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina of Tuscany (1615) (abridged) by Galileo Galilei
They do not and cannot contradict because reality is a flat earth. Ingenious men will find any way to justify saving their baby.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
They do not and cannot contradict because reality is a flat earth.
Care to prove that?

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 02:17:09 PM »

What is the difference between religious dogma and the rules of football, or soccer if you prefer?

The answer is none, both being human constructs. Just as mere man created the off side rule, man also created every religious works ever written. No Devine intervention required.

To use such a work to confirm any belief you may have about the natural world is as pointless as using FIFA football rules to prove some aspect of planetary motion.

If you wish to know about the Cosmos , rather than consulting a text written by who knows who around 2000 years ago, go consult a modern astronomer. Let’s be honest 2000 years ago people knew less than half of bugger all about the Cosmos.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
A little ways back I watched the Skiba v Sungenis debate from the recent conference. It seemingly amounted to 2 hours of a debate over the meaning of a few Hebrew words in the bible and how they are interpreted by two bible literalist 'scholars'.

TL;DW
The upshot, does scripture teach a Flat Earth Cosmology? The answer: Depends upon whom you ask. Ask Rowbotham, Lady Blount or Voliva, Skiba, yes, it definitely does. Ask Sungenis or Creationists, no, it definitely does not.

So, at the end of the day, there's know way to definitively say it does one way or the other. Literally zero people have ever held sway over another's differing interpretation of scripture.

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 03:01:03 PM »
The bible is full of allegories, and bible interpretation, subjective. You can twist bible words to mean whatever you want them to mean.

The four corners of the earth could refer to North, South, East, and West. The Earth stabilizing, is often used by flat earth to mean, the earth is stationary. But it could refer to continental drift slowing down, natural disasters being less, or earths rotation and orbit stabilising.

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 03:28:36 PM »
The bible is full of allegories, and bible interpretation, subjective. You can twist bible words to mean whatever you want them to mean.

The four corners of the earth could refer to North, South, East, and West. The Earth stabilizing, is often used by flat earth to mean, the earth is stationary. But it could refer to continental drift slowing down, natural disasters being less, or earths rotation and orbit stabilising.

I think what the bible says has no relevance to anything relating to either science or cosmology. If we remember the time period it was written, over a thousand years before the first telescope, the people who wrote it knew precious little about the world that lay outside the area we call Middle East let alone the solar system or beyond.