Lunar Danger! James and Ichi are the only ones?

• 279 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Lunar Danger! James and Ichi are the only ones?
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2010, 07:47:54 AM »
I'm sorry but what does lack of sunlight have to do with excess collenchyma  ???.

You do realize that plants do most of their actual growth in darkness, don't you?  Lack of sunlight means that this growth period is uninterrupted.  It also means that the plant is unable to conduct photosynthesis in order to make more food.  So, essentially you are causing uninterrupted growth in a starving the plant.  Sounds pretty stressful to me.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »
That isn't true. It depends on their carbon fixation method, not whether it is day or not (although for C3 plants it can  be an indirect effect). If the plant was growing interrupted AND starving in your scenario, making excess collenchyma would be the last thing it would do since it is so metabolically expensive.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »
That isn't true.

So plants don't photosynthesise anymore? Why didn't I get the memo?

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »
making excess collenchyma would be the last thing it would do since it is so metabolically expensive.

It's also probably the only thing it can do to stop itself breaking in half and dying.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
That isn't true.

It isn't true that all of them grow during the night only.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2010, 08:06:55 AM »
making excess collenchyma would be the last thing it would do since it is so metabolically expensive.

It's also probably the only thing it can do to stop itself breaking in half and dying.
Food is more important to the plant and since it is starving, does not have food, then the excess collenchyma could not be grown.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
That isn't true. It depends on their carbon fixation method, not whether it is day or not (although for C3 plants it can  be an indirect effect). If the plant was growing interrupted AND starving in your scenario, making excess collenchyma would be the last thing it would do since it is so metabolically expensive.

To be honest, I'm not that much up on plant metabolism.  My concern is more with the conditions under which the experiment was conducted and the lack of proper documentation.  
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »
That isn't true.

It isn't true that all of them grow during the night only.

That's not what I asked. Thanks for the random trivia though!

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2010, 08:11:18 AM »

Food is more important to the plant and since it is starving, does not have food, then the excess collenchyma could not be grown.

I'd rather starve a bit more, strengthen my body, and last another few days than wither and die.

You never know, those extra few days might bring the food I need.

I am a plant.

Lorddave

« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2010, 09:28:22 AM »

Wait, then how did it grow the collenchyma if it had no sunlight and was starving?  Even WITH mechanical stress, you're saying it shouldn't have grown anyway.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.