got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company

• 290 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: got some probiotic fish flakes for ruffles and company
« Reply #270 on: November 01, 2023, 07:38:56 AM »
I live in central Florida, it freezes here sometimes.

Bertha is a tropical fish, and she's a giant. She outgrew my 75 gallon tank, so I had to put her in something bigger. I don't have room for a tank big enough for her in the house, and I don't even know if I'd need to reinforce the floor for such a big thing anyway. lol So, I set up a stock tank outside, it's 300 gallons (about 1,000 liters, I think). I didn't bury it because there's a bit of concrete path under the tank, and also digging is hard. Now I wish I had done the work, but I have to make do now. There's hundreds of pounds of sand in the pond, and I am getting too old for this shit! I used garden netting and hay to wrap around the pond, on the north and west side the hay wall is probably 2 feet thick, on the south and east it was much harder to get the hay to stack up high enough, so I used all my bricks and paving stones to build a wall. I'm also going to cover the pond with a tarp to keep heat from escaping. I am trying to decide if it will be best to keep the bog running with the heater, or if I should switch to an air stone when it is really cold. It is very difficult to find other people doing anything like this, but I did find one guy in Alabama who has an 800 gallon container pond and he used 4 1200 watt heaters and a tarp, and he didn't even insulate the outside. He was able to keep tropical temperatures, and it gets much colder in Alabama than it does here.

(my mother thinks I am insane)
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2023, 10:01:47 PM »
It's best to give Bertha what she wants...
"Deep Throat: Mister Mulder, why are those like yourself, who believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life on this Earth, not dissuaded by all the evidence to the contrary?
Mulder: Because, all the evidence to the contrary is not entirely dissuasive."

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #272 on: November 29, 2023, 05:35:53 AM »
We've had a very cold week in Floridaland. The temps dropped to around 37F (about 3C) which is super cold for a tropical fish! The heater, tarps, and hay worked, the pond is a toasty 70F right now. When it warms up a bit in a couple hours, I'll pull the tarps back and let some light in, and search for Bertha. I hope I have enough air going in, but of course the tarps aren't air tight so it should be fine. Fingers crossed.

Beebee jumped on the tarp and fell in the pond yesterday. I was ready to send her to Jesus. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #273 on: November 29, 2023, 12:42:42 PM »
Does BeeBee think she is a fish?
"Deep Throat: Mister Mulder, why are those like yourself, who believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life on this Earth, not dissuaded by all the evidence to the contrary?
Mulder: Because, all the evidence to the contrary is not entirely dissuasive."

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #274 on: November 29, 2023, 02:42:17 PM »
Beebee is insane in the membrane.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2023, 05:54:41 AM »
Jimmy, do you grow any bolbitis? I have gone aquarium plant mad and ordered about 12 more plants, and three of them are bolbitis. I mean, they were all buy two get one free, so I had to do it. lol The greening of my 75 gallon tank is coming along nicely. I also ordered a cup of Christmas moss, so I hope it is better than java moss. Anyway, I was looking for more epiphytes and noticed that bolbitis is an epiphyte, but now I've read a bunch of articles and some of them say they are easy and some say they will melt and are best grown emersed. I guess I will find out!

« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2023, 12:01:12 PM »
Never tried bolbitis! 

Also never managed to get moss to survive, despite my efforts.  Some people just chuck it in a tank and it spreads all over.  Guess water chemistry must play a big part.  My Christmas moss was lovely until it just fell apart and rotted.  Hope yours does better.

3C eh?  That must be a shock to you guys.   Nippy in London now -about 3C in the day and -3 tonight.
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2023, 12:36:02 PM »
It's definitely too cold! It's already 80f again (26c) lol

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #278 on: December 03, 2023, 06:22:21 AM »
Most of my plants arrived yesterday. The bolbitis is very similar to java fern, the leaf texture is the same, but it is shaped differently. Also, I accidentally ordered tall java fern, and now I have to figure out how to place it so it doesn't look retarted.

« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2023, 09:48:17 AM »
You don't want retarted ferns.  :o
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2023, 10:41:35 AM »
I am thinking about gluing lava rocks EVERYWHERE. Just kidding, but I am going to glue some plants to lava rocks, I think.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2024, 06:37:00 AM »
I set up a 5 gallon tank about a week and a half ago. I was just going to have scuds, daphnia, and snails, and if I ever find any, some neocardina shrimp. Anyway, the fish store is going to order 10 chili rasboras for me, so I decided there will be fish! Now I just need to get a tiny heater, and probably switch out the crappy hob filter (it drains when the power goes out) for a little sponge filter. Hopefully they will also have some shrimp, and maybe I'll get a few. Depends on how much all this costs.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #282 on: February 29, 2024, 06:31:15 AM »
The store did not get the chili rasboras  >:(  They're going to try again next week. I guess their supplier didn't have any. I could only get three shrimp, two are cherry shrimp and one is white and she said it was in with the green ones. She sold it to me for the cherry shrimp price instead of the green shrimp price. Anyway, I also picked up 6 more pygmy corys, and now I have 12 of them. Once these grow up, they'll probably hide in a corner with the other ones. THEY ARE JERKS.

I need to move a dojo loach into the pond, but I'm worried it will get eaten by a cat. They are kind of fearless. I think it is unhappy in the 75 gallon tank, it snuggles with the golden algae eater, and would probably like to snuggle with some other dojos. I have to figure out how to cover the pond without blocking the sun and making it all ugly.

« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2024, 06:32:41 AM »
I need to move a dojo loach into the pond, but I'm worried it will get eaten by a cat. They are kind of fearless. I think it is unhappy in the 75 gallon tank
Cats should not be kept in tanks.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2024, 06:42:56 AM »
Someone should have told me sooner >:(

Srsly, I have fresh water in bowls all over the place, why do the cats want to drink out of the pond? Yesterday one of them fell in the pond, and I yelled at it "that's what you get, fatass".

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2024, 06:54:29 AM »

Fat shaming felines is fun.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2024, 06:55:48 AM »
why do the cats want to drink out of the pond?
Same reason my dog will drink out of disgusting puddles and our pond.  I think they prefer it to tap water.

Sound like your fishkeeping is going well  - wish I had room for all these tanks and ponds.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2024, 07:26:26 AM »
You just give your house to the fish! I love the pond most of all, but it has been a lot of work keeping it warm over the winter. Fortunately we'd have really cold nights (like near freezing sometimes) but it would warm up by 20-30 degrees in the daytime so I could cover the pond at night, and uncover it in the daytime. I managed to keep it at 70f (21c) the entire time. It looks like shit, but I'm going to remove all the winter stuff soon, and then really try to plan for next winter and get it set up so it looks nice and is easier to maintain. The wall of hay worked, but it is ugly and smelly. I need to build a more permanent wall, that also has good insulation, and isn't ugly.

My planted tank is a year old now. It's kind of going through an ugly phase. The stems are not growing back like they used to. I'm thinking about pulling the rotala out, and replacing it with a sword plant, maybe one of the smaller varieties. I need to make a video of my oldest tank, I put driftwood and plants in a couple months ago. It looks great now.

« Reply #288 on: March 05, 2024, 03:03:40 AM »
You just give your house to the fish!
Wife will not approve.

I love the pond most of all, but it has been a lot of work keeping it warm over the winter.
My pond is tiny, but has three fat goldfish in it that have been there for years.  I just break the ice for them during winter frosts, but otherwise do nothing for them and they always look super bright and healthy.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #289 on: March 05, 2024, 05:18:27 AM »
Get Mrs Lobster her own fish tank. It's like crack, she will be addicted in no time! Then every nook in your house can have a fish tank.

I got the pond for Bertha, so I needed to keep it close to tropical temps. Father Fish told me they can survive in 50f (10c) but I didn't want her to just survive the winter, I wanted her to LIVE. lol  He also told me to catch her and eat her.

« Reply #290 on: March 05, 2024, 06:37:26 AM »

Ha