The box in your possession, anonymous
The box in a well-meaning stranger's possession, with oversight
The box in a well-meaning stranger's possession, anonymously
The box in a total stranger's possession

Random Moral Conundrums

• 24 Replies
Random Moral Conundrums
« on: March 23, 2022, 05:53:47 PM »
This is something that's interested me, and I'm kind of wondering about whether it's universal or whether it's just me.

If you're interested in responding, read this post, then go to the poll and vote, and only after that read what other people have written/said.

Suppose there is a box. This box allows you to type in someone's name, and find a specific individual on the Earth, and then hit a button that immediately kills them. Death is instantaneous, and it can target anyone.

Situation 1: what would you do if the box was in your possession? Would you use it to go after warmongering leaders? Say, North Korea, Putin? Or serial killers? Or just politicians you disliked/thought were dangerous? Or would you be afraid that you'd misuse it and want to destroy it?
Would you want to use it if you had total anonymity and it could not be traced back to you, or would you want a group helping you make decisions about who to target?

What situations would you feel comfortable in?

Situation 2: what if this box was not in your hands, but in a stranger's. Perhaps this stranger has oversight from others. Perhaps they have used the box for a year and has made nothing but universally beloved decisions, improving the state of the world. Would you feel comfortable with that power still in their hands? Would you want them to have oversight, or would you be content with the decisions they have made and be fine if they remained anonymous?
What if you just knew that a stranger had the box, and had no idea of their intentions?

Would you be comfortable with a stranger having the box? At what point do you become uncomfortable, or even scared?

You can write as much thought process as you want, if any, but for the poll, just tick the situations where you would be content, and leave blank the ones where you start to be uncomfortable or worried.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Random Moral Conundrums
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 06:13:11 PM »
There are definitely people I would use the death box on, but I would like to control how they die. For instance, there are some televangelists I would like to die by having a massive cross fall on them while they are swindling people.

I would probably end up deciding it should be destroyed but not before I used it a few times.

(I could have fixed your other poll, and reset it)
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 06:34:40 PM »
I would destroy it.  After keeping it for a year or two just in case.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 08:52:16 PM »
So, I don’t get to deliver a monologue to my nemesis explaining why it is I that has bested them?

Pass.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 10:19:37 PM »
Difficult to say.  I don't want to imply that there's a grand plan to any of this or anything but it's hard to know how things would play out if one exercised an option like this.

Example, killing Hitler.  Maybe you'll avert ww2.  But there's two things about America during this time period that we hate to admit.  #1  We have a huge boner for England.  #2  We were kind of into the whole eugenics/master race thing too.  Throwing in behind #1 made #2 extremely unpopular in the same way that the cold war made atheism extremely unpopular.

So suppose you avoid ww2.  But then you don't have a country like Germany pushing some kind of deranged quest for racial purity.  Instead you have an untouchable super power promoting it like slow insidious cancer with little ability to counter it.

But yeah, a strong argument could be made for using it on Putin.  Maybe not so much Kim Jon Un.  They're just a bunch of posers.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 02:31:28 AM »

I would hope that I’d destroy it outright but having it in my hand I don’t know.

The potential for destabilising the world to such an extent that things get worse is immense. Imagine Putin dropping dead from an unidentified thing right now, who steps in, do they suspect the west and retaliate, if they don’t but instal another even worse complete bastard, do I do it again almost guaranteeing that it would become open season on world leaders as everybody would presume NATO not some no mark with a magical box.

If I tried to even things, Biden (& Trump just because), for Putin, the Saudi prince for Assad, Bono for Xi Jinping do you imagine the world being better 2 weeks later, or would I be crouched in a burned out building furiously typing in the names of former neighbours who were eating my dog?
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 02:45:35 AM »
My hit list of names in the box

Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Kim Jong Un & Scott Morrison

There are a lot of people probably even more deserving on personal levels but these individuals represent existential threats to humanity itself.

And if after they are gone, someone else wants to take their place and not change course - well, I think I can get a box with their name in it too  8) >:D

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 07:53:04 AM »
My hit list of names in the box

Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Kim Jong Un & Scott Morrison

There are a lot of people probably even more deserving on personal levels but these individuals represent existential threats to humanity itself.

And if after they are gone, someone else wants to take their place and not change course - well, I think I can get a box with their name in it too  8) >:D

In order to really make a difference you'd have to kill the puppet masters behind these people.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 08:12:05 AM »
If this box were to exist, one would have to surmise more boxes like it also exist. And obviously anyone caught with such a box would be an immediate target for anyone else that has a box, so as to eliminate the threat against you before they figure out that you also have a box.

I'd want the box to be in my possession, anonymously, so my paranoia could direct me to use it when needed.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 09:20:37 AM »

I want to know more about this box, does it change its appearance to suit its owner? Would I have a steampunk thing with mahogany and valves whilst Boydsta has a pink my first typewriter?

How does it know to kill the Mark Smith that I am damn sure stole my Captain Black figurine when I was younger and deserves to die and not the countless other Mark Smiths, who may or may not, or are we talking massive amounts of collateral damage here for unfortunates with congruent names?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:26:06 AM by Jura-Glenlivet II »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »
This thread is making me think about killing people a lot.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 10:28:30 AM »
Not really a Conundrum.  More of a how morally questionable are you.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 11:39:50 AM »

So suppose you avoid ww2.  But then you don't have a country like Germany pushing some kind of deranged quest for racial purity.  Instead you have an untouchable super power promoting it like slow insidious cancer with little ability to counter it.

No one is untouchable from the magic murder box!

Lorddave

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 11:49:01 AM »
I'd destroy it.
No one should have that much power.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2022, 01:46:19 PM »
Not really a Conundrum.  More of a how morally questionable are you.

That was the interesting part for me. It's not just a personal thing - there's also the matter of if you'd be comfortable with that power in a stranger's hands.
Honestly I was half-expecting there to be a massive divide between RE and FSE in regards to trusting others with that power, interesting to see that there's not.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2022, 03:51:12 PM »
I would like one that allows me to cause pain, at different levels, to the angry globularists every time they are mean to faded mike.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2022, 05:42:53 PM »
Now we're talkin'! Give SCG The Box!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2022, 06:31:19 PM »

What's in the box?

Pain.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2022, 06:56:47 PM »
Pain... Still a bit much for my sensibilities. I'd be more at ease if the box caused people to have hard poos.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 01:03:07 AM »
The correct answer is you take the box to the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas Nevada and try to sell it to Rick.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 06:02:46 AM »
Pain... Still a bit much for my sensibilities. I'd be more at ease if the box caused people to have hard poos.
Pain is everything! That is why Westley wanted to fight Prince Humperdinck not to the death, but to the pain.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2022, 11:26:12 PM »
Pain is everything! That is why Westley wanted to fight Prince Humperdinck not to the death, but to the pain.

I wish I knew what what you dorks were spewing forth.    ???

Left Knee: ACL, PCL, MCL, Meniscus Damage. Bicycle 'Incident'
Right knee: Pink Floyd concert. Playing frisby in the parking lot.
That's actual pain.

8)

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2022, 11:40:56 PM »
Yeah but what if you had hard poos on top of that?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2022, 12:20:39 AM »
Yeah but what if you had hard poos on top of that?

OK buddy, ummmm, Hydrocodone and Bumex.Let's talk about  hard poos.
Hydrocodone . . . grunt stones.Bumex . . . Dehydration pills.

They both cause each other.

I know shit is funny.  I'm laughing along.   :D

You will get old eventually.

Ask me anything.Anyone, feel free.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 02:47:12 AM »
Do you think the constant pain, the mixture of drugs with their interactions, the dimming of faculties due to dying braincells courtesy of a relentless aging process and the hard poo’s have pushed you more to the reactionary stance that you seem to exhibit lately?

Or is it rage against the dying of the light, that the inevitability of your imminent demise and the loss of all you are, to an implacable indifferent oblivion, whilst other more vacuous personalities get to play on in the sunlight, blissfully unaware of your passing.

Because let me tell you Bully, I for one will howl your name to the cold cold moon, and suffer the ravages of the mother of all hangovers in your memory, for who amongst us in a hundred years will be anything but a forgotten raindrop which fell on the endless sea?