• 46 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: I cannot cry and it's everyone's problem
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2023, 07:13:17 AM »
idk, I will mess with it later.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2023, 12:34:14 AM »
I may be able to help with that. The directory I believe is not writable and it may not be the default one. This change was made a long time ago when I realized some shady files were being uploaded and moved the directories out of worldly accessible areas. I'm not actively trying to fix this because its a minor problem that will probably go away when we do the next upgrade. If this is indeed the issue I'll try to carve out some time this week to log in and poke around a bit.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2023, 11:00:02 AM »
It's fixed, actually. But I think SCG had to change the code for it.
:sob:

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2023, 01:57:33 PM »
I bet the file is read only then and corrupted.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2023, 02:18:47 PM »

Will Boydster return now?  :sob:
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

JackBlack

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2023, 12:48:59 AM »
It is "fixed" in the sense that you can make posts with it new, but the old posts with cry smilies won't work.

I don't think so. The file is still accessible directly, the smiley appears in the menu and a different code can be used for it. So it isn't corrupt.

The main issue is that the ' used in the smiley gets encoded by PHP as ' but the code to protect against malicious users parses this to determine what code it is (39) and then outputs it as '

This means the user submitted ' (') doesn't match the one used by the smiley code when it comes time to insert it (').

It has been fixed in 2.1.3 (or possibly earlier) by doing the same user input sanitation onto the smiley code.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2023, 01:05:23 AM »
It is "fixed" in the sense that you can make posts with it new, but the old posts with cry smilies won't work.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2023, 07:58:39 AM »

I don't think so. The file is still accessible directly, the smiley appears in the menu and a different code can be used for it. So it isn't corrupt.

The main issue is that the ' used in the smiley gets encoded by PHP as ' but the code to protect against malicious users parses this to determine what code it is (39) and then outputs it as '

This means the user submitted ' (') doesn't match the one used by the smiley code when it comes time to insert it (').

It has been fixed in 2.1.3 (or possibly earlier) by doing the same user input sanitation onto the smiley code.

If this is something I can fix (I do not have access to the server, only the admin cp) and you know exactly what I need to do, you'll have to talk me through it. Like, step by step.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2023, 10:13:44 AM »
Sounds like the solution is as I originally thought - updating - which is my plan.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2023, 10:21:20 AM »
Sounds like the solution is as I originally thought - updating - which is my plan.

WOO HOO! SMF version 2.1.2  HERE WE GO!!!!!!  8) ;D

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2023, 03:23:21 PM »

If this is something I can fix (I do not have access to the server, only the admin cp) and you know exactly what I need to do, you'll have to talk me through it. Like, step by step.

Updating would be good, but until then, instructions from freshly installed SMF 2.0.19 (so some things I assume have already been done):
  • Go to Admin->Forum->Smileys and Message Icons...
  • Modify the smiley set
  • Under Settings check "Enable customized smileys" and click Save (I assume this is already done).
  • Go to "Add Smiley"
  • Ensure "Use existing File" is selected
  • Set it to "cry.gif"
  • For Code, set it to ":'("
  • Set Location to Hidden
  • Press Save Changes

And because of previous changes, change the code from :sob: back to :'( for the other cry.gif which is there, or if you want everyone in the future to use :sob: leave that as is. Or you can have all three in there.

I also tried this on a server where the director was write protected, so I couldn't upload a new smiley, but it still allows me to make a new code for an existing smiley by the above process.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2023, 03:40:25 PM »
 Okay, I did all that, and I changed the first cry back to :'( but it is still not working.

This is what the smiley and message icon page looks like (well I cut it off after the two cry smileys).

Maybe I should use use the code on the first one and set that one to hidden? Also, I left off the quotation marks because I assumed that is what you meant for me to do.

WAIT A MINUTE, I just previewed this post and the cry smiley is working.  :'( Let's see if it still works after I post this. lol

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
IT WORKS!!  Thanks JackBlack.

Now boydster can cry again!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I just went back over the thread and reread the instructions JackBlack gave the first time and now they make sense. lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 03:53:59 PM by Space Cowgirl »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2023, 04:01:38 PM »
Glad that's sorted out. Sorry for the trouble folks.

JackBlack

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2023, 01:03:46 AM »
IT WORKS!!  Thanks JackBlack.

Now boydster can cry again!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I just went back over the thread and reread the instructions JackBlack gave the first time and now they make sense. lol
You're welcome. I especially like the Angry Yell smiley :D

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2023, 06:42:53 AM »
I unhid the angry yell smiley, and a few others that are hidden, but we don't have images for them. :'(

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2023, 11:17:06 AM »
YES! IT WORKS AGAIN!
 :'( :'( :'( :'(
Testing yes.