Why Jesus was not the Messiah

• 228 Replies
Re: Why Jesus was not the Messiah
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2007, 07:04:48 AM »
But Satan is as real as God!
My point exactly.

Then why did you say you don't believe in Satan?

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2007, 07:14:30 AM »
Then why did you say you don't believe in Satan?
Because he is only as real as your god. He is a fictitious character from a fairy tale written thousands of years ago.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2007, 08:14:42 AM »
With a pink dress.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
And a sparkling tiara with little butterfly gems set in it.

?

sharkzf6

• Everything is number
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2007, 09:17:41 AM »
I practice the Soto sect of Zen Buddhism, actually ... so there is none of that Tibetan tantric tripe.  Zen is all about experiencing life itself, pure and simple, like a hammer to the fore-brain. 

Then your head asplode (aka enlightenment). 
This is just more bullshit...just like what you accuse your adversaries of. I like when the fundie dude stated "you will probably shit your pants and cry like a baby" when death comes a knockin at your door...pwnd!

PS - look where your "enlightenment" has brought you...to this forum...WOW...I'm impressed...    ::)
"Perhaps there will be babblers who, although completely ignorant of mathematics, nevertheless take it upon themselves to pass judgement on mathematical questions..."
- Copernicus

?

nicolin

• Romania
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2007, 09:45:05 AM »
Sorry for the off(topic), but is cancer SPECIFICALLY mentioned in the Bible?
Or, for that matter, did Jesus claim that cancer exists?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:46:36 AM by nicolin »
Curat murdar, Coane Fanica!

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »
It meanst it is a cheap demagogical statement. You'll shit your pants if you knew death were on your doorstep and cry like a little baby just to postpone its inevitable arrival. Living is all you have and you most probably enjoy every minute of it, even if you are a complete failure in life.
You don't know much about me, Jefe.  We do know that you are, in fact, JustaTroll (or Bushido), though. 

This is just more bullshit...just like what you accuse your adversaries of. I like when the fundie dude stated "you will probably shit your pants and cry like a baby" when death comes a knockin at your door...pwnd!

PS - look where your "enlightenment" has brought you...to this forum...WOW...I'm impressed...    ::)
Fundie doesn't know anything about me; he only knows what he would do.  It's also pretty obvious you don't even know of what I accused my so-called adversaries.  Oh, tell me what enlightenment should entail, since you seem to know something about it as well. 

Please try using a hammer on your forebrain.  Then we'll talk more. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 01:09:33 PM by EvilToothpaste »

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »
The empty space would result in nothing but a "whoosh" sound.

?

sharkzf6

• Everything is number
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2007, 07:22:19 AM »
Oh, tell me what enlightenment should entail, since you seem to know something about it as well.

I don't need to. The fact that you are here is proof of what I wrote…

Please try using a hammer on your forebrain.  Then we'll talk more. 

Not necessary. I have enough “real” life experiences to know what would occur...
"Perhaps there will be babblers who, although completely ignorant of mathematics, nevertheless take it upon themselves to pass judgement on mathematical questions..."
- Copernicus

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »
I don't need to. The fact that you are here is proof of what I wrote…
You have no idea what it is you are trying to prove.  You do not know what enlightenment is. 

Not necessary. I have enough “real” life experiences to know what would occur...
It is obvious something very real has struck you in the head previously, I agree. 

wgzero

• slayer of Bright Theist
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2007, 07:59:19 PM »
It's living I'm afraid of. 

Cheap.
That could mean a couple of things ... but you're an idiot, so please tell me what it is you mean. 

It meanst it is a cheap demogogical statement. You'll shit your pants if you knew death were on your doorstep and cry like a little baby just to postpone its inevitable arrival. Living is all you have and you most probably enjoy every minute of it, even if you are a complete failure in life.

I'm afraid you only understand the position of God/death-fearing people such as yourself. I'll use myself as an example. Yes, living is all I have, and I do enjoy living, and yes, I would attempt to postpone my death if I had the option, but I don't fear death. If, for example, I were captured, bound, and lined up on a wall with others, and one-by-one we were systematically killed, I doubt I'd be afraid. I would probably be disappointed that I couldn't live longer or accomplish more (unless I were extremely old and had age-related handicaps, in which death would probably be a nice alternative to suffering), but definitely not afraid.

Now let's change the scenario. Suppose I were in a classroom, and a gunman broke into it and began shooting everyone in sight. If no one i really cared about were in it (that list is basically limited at this moment to my girlfriend, and a few of my closest friends), then the only emotion I would experience would be self-preservation. If one of the aforementioned were in the room, then I would probably fear for their safety, but I still wouldn't fear for my own, to the extent of my death allowing harm to come to any of them.
I know many of the fucked-up little monkeys prowling this site, obsessed with their own religion, would get down and pray not to meet with death, and probably be shot for standing still to long (I think anyone crouched over, unmoving, with their hands clasped together would be an easy target).
I'm thinking about signing my first name as lexluther instead of alex...

Political Compass: (-2.25, -4.92)

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2007, 08:03:26 PM »

Cheap.
That could mean a couple of things ... but you're an idiot, so please tell me what it is you mean. 

It meanst it is a cheap demogogical statement. You'll shit your pants if you knew death were on your doorstep and cry like a little baby just to postpone its inevitable arrival. Living is all you have and you most probably enjoy every minute of it, even if you are a complete failure in life.

I'm afraid you only understand the position of God/death-fearing people such as yourself. I'll use myself as an example. Yes, living is all I have, and I do enjoy living, and yes, I would attempt to postpone my death if I had the option, but I don't fear death. If, for example, I were captured, bound, and lined up on a wall with others, and one-by-one we were systematically killed, I doubt I'd be afraid. I would probably be disappointed that I couldn't live longer or accomplish more (unless I were extremely old and had age-related handicaps, in which death would probably be a nice alternative to suffering), but definitely not afraid.

Now let's change the scenario. Suppose I were in a classroom, and a gunman broke into it and began shooting everyone in sight. If no one i really cared about were in it (that list is basically limited at this moment to my girlfriend, and a few of my closest friends), then the only emotion I would experience would be self-preservation. If one of the aforementioned were in the room, then I would probably fear for their safety, but I still wouldn't fear for my own, to the extent of my death allowing harm to come to any of them.
I know many of the fucked-up little monkeys prowling this site, obsessed with their own religion, would get down and pray not to meet with death, and probably be shot for standing still to long (I think anyone crouched over, unmoving, with their hands clasped together would be an easy target).

This statement is a lie.

*awaits some long winded statement(lie) involving wgzero trying to prove his fearlessness and superiority to Christians*
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:13:09 PM by The Bright Theist »
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

wgzero

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2007, 08:41:09 PM »
First of all, my statements are only as long as they need to be, and never fallacious, unlike many other posters on this site. How do you know what I am thinking / would think. I think the best person to make any judgment about myself is me. And since I've taken the course for AP Psychology (5 out of 5) and an out-of-school Introductory Psychiatry course, I think I'm more qualified than anyone else to make that judgment. Anyways, the sad truth, for you at least, is that I am perfectly 'alright' with dying (mainly if it were inescapable, which is why I gave two separate scenarios). Just because you are insecure with death does not mean we all are.

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2007, 08:53:10 PM »
First of all, my statements are only as long as they need to be, and never fallacious, unlike many other posters on this site. How do you know what I am thinking / would think. I think the best person to make any judgment about myself is me. And since I've taken the course for AP Psychology (5 out of 5) and an out-of-school Introductory Psychiatry course, I think I'm more qualified than anyone else to make that judgment. Anyways, the sad truth, for you at least, is that I am perfectly 'alright' with dying (mainly if it were inescapable, which is why I gave two separate scenarios). Just because you are insecure with death does not mean we all are.

Just because you took AP Psych, (I took the class too, a psych credit is required for graduation at my high school), does NOT mean you can tell the future. (It also does not mean you have some kind of extra ordinary power of self analysis.) No on can be sure (to any degree, really) about how they would act in a situation like that. You are a liar, or at least have deluded yourself with fantasies of some dramatic death.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

wgzero

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »
First of all, you claim that no one can be sure of their future actions. In this case, how can I be lying about it if no one actually knows what I would do. You continue contradicting yourself.
And again, let me completely assure you: I am not afraid of death; would I postpone it, yes. But not fear it, mainly because I believe there is nothing to death. Death is merely the end. Thus there is nothing to fear, no judgment, no ambiguity, just subtle passage out of consciousness, never to return.

I only listed AP Psych for credibility of analysis, not credibility of thought.

You continue to assert that I would fear death if I were faced with it, without any logical reasoning. Given your arguments thus far, may I safely conclude that your statements are completely groundless, with neither fact nor observation as backing?

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2007, 09:12:10 PM »
First of all, you claim that no one can be sure of their future actions. In this case, how can I be lying about it if no one actually knows what I would do. You continue contradicting yourself.
And again, let me completely assure you: I am not afraid of death; would I postpone it, yes. But not fear it, mainly because I believe there is nothing to death. Death is merely the end. Thus there is nothing to fear, no judgment, no ambiguity, just subtle passage out of consciousness, never to return.

I only listed AP Psych for credibility of analysis, not credibility of thought.

You continue to assert that I would fear death if I were faced with it, without any logical reasoning. Given your arguments thus far, may I safely conclude that your statements are completely groundless, with neither fact nor observation as backing?

Only if you are willing to stipulate that your assesment is equally groundless.

My evidence, here it is:

Since then the children are sharers in flesh and blood, he [Christ] also himself in like manner partook of the same; that through death he might bring to nought him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and might deliver all them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage Heb. 2:14-15

According to the Bible, we are all supposed to fear death, as our enemy. Since there are no lies in the Bible (I've checked), you must be lying about your fear of death.

EDIT: This fear of death is conquered by faith in out Lord, and his Heavenly Kingdom. Without this, it is impossible.
I claimed you are lying in saying you know how you would react to the situation, you don't.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:45:31 PM by The Bright Theist »

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »
Your evidence is wrong, theist. I suggest you look over your source again. And again. And again.

This time, with the blinders off. Then speak. For thy tongue is a foul beast that knows not of that which it speaks.

I do not fear death, it is not my enemy, but yours, and thus becomes a tool to which I can refine into a weapon unlike anything you've ever witnessed.

If death is your enemy, than so are those who do not fear it. And your fear will befall you.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:33:58 PM by Hara Taiki »

?

Bushido

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »

Cheap.

wgzero = EvilToothPaste

wgzero

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2007, 12:48:59 AM »
Ah, theist, my apologies. I thought I was dealing rational argument. You use the bible as evidence, which invalidates all arguments founded upon said evidence, as there is no evidence backing your fairy tale collection. However, against my better instinct, I have decided to respond to your edit. And don't even try to say "The bible is true because the bible says the bible is true", as that's a Bare Assertion Fallacy.

I'm afraid that YES, I know exactly how i would react. Unlike you, with your Australopithecan-like logistic capabilities, I can accurately simulate the most extreme situations and great emotional strain. But that wouldn't even be necessary, as I do not fear death, so any situation where I am confronted with unavoidable death would logically cause no fear in me. I don't even see why I'm leveling with you on this. Hara made my point much better than even I could.

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2007, 01:04:01 AM »
Australopithecan-like logistic capabilities

Is this management and control of the flow of paleolithic hand axes and scrapers between caves?

I'm having an existential meltdown right now.

?

Bushido

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2007, 01:05:50 AM »

Is this management and control of the flow of paleolithic hand axes and scrapers between caves?

I thought to reply in that manner, too, but I looked it up in a dictionary:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/logistic

You phail.

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2007, 01:14:46 AM »
Well, I'm glad because I pictured a UPS caveman.

wgzero

« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2007, 01:37:10 AM »

I thought to reply in that manner, too, but I looked it up in a dictionary:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/logistic

You phail.

Precisely:
logistic: of or relating to logistics
logistics (2): the management of the details of and operation

Our friend theist has great difficulty in performing the simplest of mental operations and simulations (which are operations of a kind).

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2007, 01:43:02 AM »
Okay, Dilton.  ::)
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Bushido

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2007, 02:01:29 AM »

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2007, 04:27:48 AM »
This thread is now officially not worth looking at anymore.

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2007, 05:52:54 AM »
Ah, theist, my apologies. I thought I was dealing rational argument. You use the bible as evidence, which invalidates all arguments founded upon said evidence, as there is no evidence backing your fairy tale collection. However, against my better instinct, I have decided to respond to your edit. And don't even try to say "The bible is true because the bible says the bible is true", as that's a Bare Assertion Fallacy.

I'm afraid that YES, I know exactly how i would react. Unlike you, with your Australopithecan-like logistic capabilities, I can accurately simulate the most extreme situations and great emotional strain. But that wouldn't even be necessary, as I do not fear death, so any situation where I am confronted with unavoidable death would logically cause no fear in me. I don't even see why I'm leveling with you on this. Hara made my point much better than even I could.

Is that a fancy way of putting "lol bible iz not tru!"? I still think you are a liar, you don't know.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:57:42 AM by The Bright Theist »

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2007, 07:21:56 AM »
He's not lying, he's just not telling the truth. There is a difference.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2007, 07:37:30 AM »
Your evidence is wrong, theist. I suggest you look over your source again. And again. And again.

This time, with the blinders off. Then speak. For thy tongue is a foul beast that knows not of that which it speaks.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2007, 10:15:34 AM »
WQ Zero has GUNDAM as in his avatar. The end.  ::)